General & Others Cases of lazy writing ?

What are the occurences and moments in One Piece where Oda obviously didn't put much effort in his writing of the story or in making the design of a character or a crew ?

I would say that the moments where people such as Pagaya, Pound, Wyper and other characters who should have died of attacks that should have killed them many times without any medical treatment or explanation count.
There is also how he chose Killer's name because he didn't want to do much researches and take time on finding a real-life pirate to name Killer after.

Boa Hancock getting away completely free with her open transgressions against the Marines and the World Government during Impel Down and Marineford arc with her having saved Luffy many times, given him the key to Ace's handcuffs, destroyed several Pacifistas and attacked many marines for no reason surely count too.

And the waterfall scenes with Prometheus being conveniently absent when King attacked the Queen Mama Chanter and Big Mom fell into water, Perospero and other BMP not using their powers to make the Queen Mama Chanter climb the waterfall without the help of the carps and Kaido not going into dragon mode to try stopping the BMP from entering Wano himself, Marco repeating the same thing than King, etc...

Napoleon not saying or doing anything during Big Mom's amnesia. And her getting asleep just before retaliating to Queen's attack on her.

Sabo and Big Mom's amnesias.

The Straw Hats and Supernovas not doing anything to really try to stop Kanjuro from escaping with Momonosuke and them not doing anything against the Beast Pirate ship with long-ranged cannons.

Lazy Writing is destiny shit with Luffy being Joyboy. I hope Oda throws a curveball where it's actually Vivi/Momonosuke or someone else.

Post timeskip, the reliance on too many unfunny Sanji gags. I loved Sanjis character in Dressrosa, but Oda assassinated that in WCI.
Not enough strawhat focus. I did enjoy Brook/Franky playing bigger roles tho. Robin/Chopper/Zoro in a way have taken steps back or remained static. He gave people like Rebecca, Tontatta's, Pound, Chiffon, Yasuie too much focus.

I did not give a fuck about the Yasu execution. Luffy fighting for Tama's hunger feels forced and over used.

Characters like the Calamities, Big Mom's flashback, Caesar/Vegapunk could have been a bit more expanded on. Eustass "Captain" Kid doing big things alongside Luffy should have been done better. Him defeating a Warlord or Sweet Commander (At least One or the either) would have been a big boost to his character. Oda could have gave a high diff Snack fight to Kid instead of Urouge

But these were my gripes.

Overall, I actually enjoyed the Post Time Skip and the arcs had massively well done Arc-ending Payoffs. But I hope Wano is not the Marineford Parallel and instead we get something greater.

Last edited:
Dressrosa Alabasta parallels, which was a fine idea with really bad execution.
Oda practically combined several islands/locations into one, and still did not shorten the overall arc/saga. The DFs were lazily chosen as the supposed superior ones to the Alabasta ones (kilo kilo - ton ton is the worst) but just felt like a rehash, could have easily made new DFs (which he did to a certain extent with the executives) but yeah, left a bad taste.

Another one is using Sanji as means to justify getting to WCI, a location the Strawhats usually did not need to go to. Felt lazy considering the holes in that justification.

Another one is a problem many stories with a bigger world suffer from after a while, they tend to neglect the journey and just go through the locations that are essential for the plot. Pre-TS traveling through the Paradise felt like a real journey with the dangers feeling tangible. Of course you did not get chapter after chapter, but you got focus of one chapter or so during the journey that underlined that. Sea monsters appearing, weather conditions, weird currents and so forth, it was a good balance between underlining the dangers to make the audience understand how screwed up the Grandline is, while not overextending needlessly.
The last time we got something like that was on the way to Fishman Island, which was arguably great, but is now 10 years ago or so.
The worst thing was the journey between Dressrosa and Zou on Barto´s ship. It was played off as a gag but the fact that they got through the seas without even having a navigator really left a dent, since it suggested East Blue hillbillies who were relying on weird advice got through so far without major problems.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Do blame Oda for your lack of reading comprehension
Oh yeah.
Giving up on designing more unique female characters, making all of them disproportionate abominations, abusing multiple shounen cliches, back to the same old formula of Luffy using some new ability and beating the new baddie, characters remained the exactly same, with no growth except "power", retcons, asspulls, oh yeah, all great content buddy.

One Piece is more than 20 years old. And it had ZERO maturing. In fact, it kinda got even more childish, with boring cliche shounen trash tier comedy. Rare are the moments when I laugh going through the story. Which happens even to this day when I read the older arcs.
Only arc that actually got my genuine interest was WCI, because it was not a story about going there, saving the day by beating the baddie. It was a rescue and escape mission.

But yeah, oh great enlightened one, please, do tell me about my oh so "lack of comprehension". Please, analyze how One Piece is actually a story perfectly well written and all those who criticize it are clouded by their own delusions.

Again, more than 20 years old, still delivering a story to an audience younger than the story itself. Please, do tell me how I am supposed to feel the same way I did 14 years ago, when I started following One Piece.

I may have an emotional connection to this story, buddy, which is why I will see it through, but do not think for a moment you have any sense to actually judge my "lack of comprehension". If you think it's all sunshine and rainbows, do me a favor and ignore my comments then. Keep enjoying your "power ups", and "forced parallels".

Oh yeah.
Giving up on designing more unique female characters, making all of them disproportionate abominations, abusing multiple shounen cliches, back to the same old formula of Luffy using some new ability and beating the new baddie, characters remained the exactly same, with no growth except "power", retcons, asspulls, oh yeah, all great content buddy.

One Piece is more than 20 years old. And it had ZERO maturing. In fact, it kinda got even more childish, with boring cliche shounen trash tier comedy. Rare are the moments when I laugh going through the story. Which happens even to this day when I read the older arcs.
Only arc that actually got my genuine interest was WCI, because it was not a story about going there, saving the day by beating the baddie. It was a rescue and escape mission.

But yeah, oh great enlightened one, please, do tell me about my oh so "lack of comprehension". Please, analyze how One Piece is actually a story perfectly well written and all those who criticize it are clouded by their own delusions.

Again, more than 20 years old, still delivering a story to an audience younger than the story itself. Please, do tell me how I am supposed to feel the same way I did 14 years ago, when I started following One Piece.

I may have an emotional connection to this story, buddy, which is why I will see it through, but do not think for a moment you have any sense to actually judge my "lack of comprehension". If you think it's all sunshine and rainbows, do me a favor and ignore my comments then. Keep enjoying your "power ups", and "forced parallels".
WhY FiGhTiNG iN My BaTtLe ShOnEn, WhY ChAraChTeRs No ChAnGe PeRSoNaLiTy

Oh yeah.

What did Luffy do to Lucci did he not get a power up then beat him.
You pose no real complaints and cant point to anything and just tell and say retcon, asspull with given an example