Powers & Abilities Could it be that Zoro actually did go all out in dressrosa? Zoro doesn't know how to use asura

And as for why Zoro cant use asura on command. I think it might be due to the sandai kitetsu. The sandai is the weakest kitetsu after all. If asura is from the kitetsu, maybe zoro needs a stronger kitetsu sword, like the nidai, before he can fully control asuraa.
I thought this cursed sword argument was debunked the moment Law'a sword was revealed to be a cursed sword.

I mean luffy was swinging around a cursed sword with no asura just popping out. Law has a cursed sword and no asura. So... what?

I don't think you can find an actual reason for why Asura doesn't show up outside of Zoro doesn't need it to win.

@Monkey D Theories Look at it this way.

Zoro used Sanzen Sekai on Mihawk in East blue and NEVER USED IT AGAIN until thriller bark.

Sanzen Sekai is arguably stronger than every ability Zoro used from East blue up to thriller bark except Asura and yet Zoro we t into MULTIPLE deadly fights and never used Sanzen Sekai.

Seems very similar to what is happening now isn't it? Zoro's not used Asura for HUNDREDS of chapters even when he's gotten into deadly fights yet we assume he can use it, same as Sanzen Sekai being missing for 400 chapters yet we know Zoro could've used it.

Imagine we were reading water seven weekly and we see Zoro get molly wopped by Lucci and someone asks, "What happened to that one Secret technique Zoro used on Mihawk 300 chapters ago? Why hasn't Zoro uses Sanzen Sekai for 300 chapters? Did he forget how to use it? Can he not control it?"

And then ennie lobby ends and Zoro pulls out a whole other ridiculous ability called asura to beat kaku and the fandom just starts saying " zoro can't use Sanzen Sekai anymore. Did you see him pull out a whole other ability after all his three sword style abilities didn't work? Why didn't he try Sanzen Sekai if he could do it?"

See the similarity.

I don't think Zoro went all out against Pica because Zoro going all out usually results in him using a whole new technique to win. Zoro beat Pica with a technique from East blue.

The fight was harder than people give it credit for, but it was still a mid diff. Not a low diff as some people like to say.

In regards to Asura, it's simple in my eyes. Oda likes making Zoro use different abilities to win fights. That's the reason Sanzen Sekai didn't show up for 400 chapters. Oda made sure Zoro would get into tough fights and pull out something different to win.

The fights can be from mid diff like the Ohm fight in skypiea to the high diff like the Daz bones fight in Alabasta. Whatever the difficulty, Oda just likes making zoro use different abilities to win. It's a thing Oda just likes and there's no in story reason for it. Zoro had Sanzen Sekai for all those arcs but Oda didn't care. He wanted a new shiny different abilities from Zoro and that's what he wrote.

I think thats it.

The two actual possibilities are

1. Oda realised he can't explain Asura and wrote it off

2. Oda doesn't care and just wants Zoro to use different abilities to win fights instead of constantly jumping to his strongest just like with Sanzen Sekai.

Well, i thinks there is a reason for zoro not frequent his usage of ashura. That being how time consuming and costly it is to draw a extra set of head and arms for every frame, at least when compare to drawing a leg on fire or someone moving at extreme speed,which can be done by adding steam and shading so that it looks brighter,etc. This is possible because the same thing happen with ssj3 in the db universe. They explicitly stated that they avoid drawing it because it is costly and time consuming. Very probable if you ask me, since oda put out chapters on a weekly (ocassionally bi weekly) basis.

he also used haki in alabasta
He also used haki in skypiea, then he used it water seven.

No real reason to assume Zoro doesn't have control over his abilities outside of the first time he uses them.

Like Zoro trains every day. Why would he use an ability. And then when he realises he didn't master it proceed to not train to master the ability.

You would literally have to say Zoro has been constantly training for two years to master asura and JUST CAN'T. For some reason, this is an ability that two years of training can't help with. Despite things like advanced haki getting mastered in hours.
Post automatically merged:

Well, i thinks there is a reason for zoro not frequent his usage of ashura. That being how time consuming and costly it is to draw a extra set of head and arms for every frame, at least when compare to drawing a leg on fire or someone moving at extreme speed,which can be done by adding steam and shading so that it looks brighter,etc. This is possible because the same thing happen with ssj3 in the db universe. They explicitly stated that they avoid drawing it because it is costly and time consuming. Very probable if you ask me, since oda put out chapters on a weekly (ocassionally bi weekly) basis.
@Chessaddict
That could be possible if we didn't have an example of this in one piece already.

Zoro used Sanzen Sekai on mihawk in East blue. Then Zoro went 400 chapters fighting with weaker abilities until he used Sanzen Sekai again in thriller bark.

And Sanzen Sekai isn't hard to draw.

It's the same thing. Oda gives Zoro a very strong ability for one fight. Then when the next fight starts, he realises he wants to give Zoro another ability in order to win so he does.

It doesn't matter whether the ability he gives Zoro next is stronger or weaker than the previous one, or whether the fight itself is harder or easier that the previous one. Oda just wants the other ability and so he gives it to Zoro.

Remember thriller bark with Zoro just randomly using ability one sword style attack that sets ryuma on fire. Where did that ability come from? Where did it go? What happened to Shishi sonson, Zoro seemingly strongest one sword style? Why didn't zoro use it when fighting ryuma? Is This fire cut ability stronger than Shishi sonson?

See how much Oda doesn't really care about all these questions? He wanted zoro cut Ryuma so hard that he caught on fire. So Zoro did that. End of story.

Last edited:
Zoro still has Asura but just hasn't needed it.

- Pica was never on Zoro’s level, throughout the entire arc Pica kept running away from Zoro and never wanted to fight him.

- Zoro’s strongest attack isnt Three thousand worlds, yes he used it against Mihawk but that was only his strongest attack when he was in the east blue. As Zoro progressed he got stronger attacks especially when he unlocked Asura.

- People saying Zoro went all out against Pica is laughable as well. Read Zoro vs Mr 1 and Zoro vs Kaku. That’s all-out Zoro. All-out Zoro isn't him chasing someone catching them then beating them with low dif.

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
Reararare..
Reaching.

Do some stretches before you do this level of reaching. Because you're just going to be hurting yourself come the end of this arc lmao.

I understand the last 2 chapters got all of you boys shook but no, Zoro mid diffed Pica at best. It was a hide and seek match, with no injuries on Zoro's part.

Watch at the end of Wano when Zoro pops tf off but for now, I would just like to say
I wish you all good fortune in the wars to come.

Last edited:
J

Jo_Ndule

Since base Zoro is already > G2/G3 DR Luffy, Asura became his new G4. It's like a mode that triples your power. He could use it as G4, where he imbues his whole arms and part of his body in Haki.

However so far no one gave Zoro a reason to use that. Maybe King will.
Current G4 >pre FS/adcoa G4~Enma Zoro>g2/g3 with adcoa+fs >~ Shuishui Zoro >= DR g2 and g3

Zoro went all out at DR and Wano pre enms,
If he didn't go all out and shown everything he mastered or created, Oda wouldn't give him Enma and 2 weeks training to grow much stronger.

Both Sanji and Zoro showed everything the learnt during TS... That's why they got PUs now

Current G4 >pre FS/adcoa G4~Enma Zoro>g2/g3 with adcoa+fs >~ Shuishui Zoro >= DR g2 and g3

Zoro went all out at DR and Wano pre enms,
If he didn't go all out and shown everything he mastered or created, Oda wouldn't give him Enma and 2 weeks training to grow much stronger.

Both Sanji and Zoro showed everything the learnt during TS... That's why they got PUs now
Where does Compote fit in here?

The more the series goes on, the more I think that Zoro actually might have gone all out in Dressrosa. Not that Asura magically doesn't exist post skip, but rather that Zoro asura is an unreliable power up.

In enies lobby, Oda introduced power ups for all of the m3. The gears for Luffy, diable jambe for sanji, and asura for zoro. However, out of these three power ups, it seems as if Asura is the only one that Oda is treating specially.

Asura seems like the most elusive power in the series. It was used only two times in the manga, and both of them happened pre-skip, effectively 10 years ago in real time.

In thriller bark, we see Luffy use the gears and sanji use diable jambe, but no asura from Zoro. Then post skip happens and we see Luffy with improved G2/G3 as well as G4, Sanji with improved diable jambe and hell memories, but we haven't even seen asura. It seems as if instead of mastering asura, Zoro instead focused on mastering his physical strength and haki, as his high end moves using black hardening can arguably rival G4 in terms of attack power.

So why no asura? According to Zoro fans, its because Zoro is simply too good to use asura. He is so all powerful, that he doesn't even need to use his full strength to defeat powerful enemies. While this argument might be fun to entertain, especially if you are a zoro fan, I feel as if it is a bit biased and lacking in insight. We are to believe that Oda would go 10 years without showing Zoro, one of the most popular characters, use his true strength?

I just don't see the logic in this. I don't get what's the point in making us wait so long. Doflamingo was hyped since pre-skip, there is no reason why Oda couldn't have made Zoro go all out in dressrosa. There is no reason for Oda to prolong this moment.

So here is my theory. To the dismay of Zoro fans, I think it is very likely that Zoro went all out in dressrosa. The reason for this is because I speculate that Zoro 1) doesn't have control over asura and 2) never did have control over asura.

from our observations, we can see that asura is used very infrequently. I mean it was never used in Thriller bark at all. This obviously wasn't because Zoro didn't go all out, as Oars was stronger than all of the straw harts combined, so was moria. Zoro was even temporarily knocked out one or two times. Oars was so strong that Luffy needed to use nightmare luffy to defeat him and then go G2+G3 to beat moria. So why didn't zoro just use asura? he had absolutely no reason not to, especially when kuma showed up.

And I think you can make a similar argument in dressrosa. If Oda was going to give Zoro the enma training as a power up in wano, why didn't he show zoro's full strength in dressrosa? Wouldn't it make sense to see Zoro use asura at least once in 10 years before having him surpass his limits with the enma training?

I think the answer is simple. Zoro doesn't know how to use asura. Even if he's pushed with his back against the wall, there's no guarantee he will be able to use asura. This is why Zoro's non asura atttacks are so powerful, why he created new moves like ISDS and rengoku oni giri, rather than mastering asura and learning how to use asura casually. Zoro simply wasn't able to control asura.

While many people might laugh or troll at the idea that Zoro went all out against pica. It isn't actually without precedent. There is very strong evidence that both Sanji and jinbe went all out against wadatsumi, who parallel's pica in that he is also extremely large. Sanji stated that he used his ultimate attack in fishman island and vagabond drill was the same attack jinbe used against big mom(where he had absolutely no reason to hold back).

I think it could be that rather than give Zoro, Sanji, and jinbe strong and serious opponents in the. new world, he instead had them go all out against goofy giants that are hard to take out.

And as for why Zoro cant use asura on command. I think it might be due to the sandai kitetsu. The sandai is the weakest kitetsu after all. If asura is from the kitetsu, maybe zoro needs a stronger kitetsu sword, like the nidai, before he can fully control asuraa.
Well i'm not totally against what you say but we've seen that
1) Luffy had 1 flash-back in Dressrossa and then pulled out G4 After being unable to take out Doffy with G2&3
2)In Wci,we learnt Luffy had 2 more forms up his sleeve as well as a set up for a future possible powerup in Observation haki which lead him to learn Fs.
Zoro trained two full years under Mihawk the WSS,and all high tier attacks he can use postskip is stronger versions of his preskip techniques ? I very much doubt that.
Zoro had a small flashback in Dressrossa which showed him needing to train to achieve Coa but i think it is reasonable to assume Mihawk showed him some New techniques which would help him fight high tiers in the New world,similar to what Rayleigh did with Luffy.
Zoro needs to be first pushed very hard to the point he can't do anything before having a Luffy type flashback where he recalls Mihawk's teachings and decides to use some hidden power who may have restrictions on it,explaining why he can't often use it.
For the Ashura part,i'm probably the only Zoro fan who doesn't expect anything special from it,instead i bet on some strong technique he hasn't yet used and which was taught by Mihawk.
Zoro's closed eye for example hasn't yet been adressed in the manga and is probably setup for an observation haki boost so i don't think Zoro has gone all out at all.

Zoro used the same attack he used for Mihawk on Pica. That's all. Anything else is waffle. If you want to say that Zoro wasn't going all out Vs Mihawk, that's another matter
Well the Zoro who fought Mihawk was East blue Zoro who is much weaker than
1)Alabasta Zoro who finished Mr 1 with Shishi son son which was a breath of all things technique (haki)
2)Ennies lobby Zoro who finished Kaku with Ashura.
My point is do you want to argue that Zoro's 3000 world's attack against Mihawk in East blue is stronger than the 2 mentionned above ?
If not,then you can't Say Zoro Using it against Mihawk back in East blue means it was still his ultimate during paradise or at the end of it.
Zoro obviously became stronger over the course of his journey and developed stronger ultimate techniques.

Last edited:
IMHO
Doffy underling is so weak because oda intend to show us that SHC level is above sichibukai now, look at doffy vs luffy, when luffy use g4 doffy cant touch him, this is the way oda shows 2 years training for SHC, this is forshadow that SHC is ready for yonko crew level but not on par, still have so much to do,
Even brook one shotted giolla (i forget her name)

Luffy is already on another level
While monster trio ZSJ is sichibukai/YC level
As long as he meet strong opponents ashura will show up again

When you just can't accept Zoro is just too strong, you have to invent such ridiculous notions.
You are too stuck in your ways @Monkey D Theories , there's no need to go to these extents of headcanon and mental gymnastics to downplay Zoro. Just accept what is the simple fact staring at you in the face.
It's literally not that.

I just don't think it makes sense from a writing perspective to make Zoro the only straw hat who hasn't gone all out. Its been about a decade since sabaody.

it would have cost Oda zero dollars to make Pica a worthy opponent for Zoro. So from my perspective there are two options:
  1. Zoro did actually go all out in dressrosa, similar to how Sanji and jinbe went all out in fishman island
  2. Oda is unecessarily prolonging zoro showing his full strength
If Zoro actually did master asura over the timeskip, then why doesn't he use it all the time? Why did he choose to get thrown by orolumbus instead of just use asura? Why doesn't he use asura like sanji and Luffy use diable jambe and the gears?

Zoro fans say that Zoro hasn't used more than 10% of his power or whatever, but I don't see why Oda would do that to us.

The sheer fact that Zoro's non asura attacks are so powerful indicates that instead of spending time developing asura to the point to where he could use it casually(Like sanji and luffy with their power ups), he just focused on improving santoryu. Why would he do that? I suspect its because Zoro cannot master asura with only the sandai kitetsu.

I think at the very least, I would have had Zoro use asura before the final war of wano. But here we ware, 10 years past sabaody and no asura.

Pica himself was never on Zoro's level I'll agree, but still having to take that long to locate and beat him, says alot about Zoro. He's just not up to YC par.
I'm just hoping Zoro fans aren't going to keep claimoring about Ashura if it doesn't happen in Wano etc.