Anime Discussion Death Note thread

Who is your favourite character?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
Yeah, because his own team went braindead despite Light's sketchiness and he had disposable pawns. It was legit hard to root for a guy who could pull out allies from his ass and the writing propped up without good excuses.
But Light earned their trust. He worked hard to get it. Sure, he had help but he was up against the entire world basically.

L was at a bigger disadvantage than Light to start with
@Van made a good point earlier. L had the luck that Light bit on the Lind L Taylor bait. Without it he would have been all over the world searching, at least for some time, giving Light more time to operate.
Did my dude Light ever get to smash Takada, i don't remember.
Probably did lmao.

If you only look at the conclusion sure, but i take into consideration situations too, and to me, L was at a bigger disadvantage than Light to start with(super-natural book, dad to share police force infos, additional death note user, with 2 Shinigamis giving him knowledge no one else knew), yet still almost won against Light, predicted his death, and ultimately won post-mortem through Mello / Near
Well, Light got carried away at the beginning as he began to wield a supernatural power. First, as L pointed out, Light was testing the abilities. How could he possibly have considered a detective with a supernatural brain to catch up. And of course, Light's flaw was his god complex.

But the other things you pointed out just add into Light's intelligence. He is not only very analytical and forward planning, but unlike L, Light has massive social intelligence. Able to play with emotions and manipulate people. Manipulate even the Shinigami. Ryuk, again, was of no help. And Rem even threatened Light. But his charisma allowed him to play everyone. Just remember how he played Naomi and got her name. L has no social intelligence.

But Light earned their trust. He worked hard to get it.
^

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
โ€Ž
But Light earned their trust. He worked hard to get it. Sure, he had help but he was up against the entire world basically.

@Van made a good point earlier. L had the luck that Light bit on the Lind L Taylor bait. Without it he would have been all over the world searching, at least for some time, giving Light more time to operate.

Probably did lmao.
Not only did L gain a big advantage, all he had to do was find evidence of how Light kills people.

Light had to:
-Prevent any killings from drawing too much attention to him
-Deal with Misa who kept becoming a wrench in his plans and her appearance was a convenience for L.
-Kill L without getting caught

Light had way more to deal with and work around.

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
Not only did L gain a big advantage, all he had to do was find evidence of how Light kills people.

Light had to:
-Prevent any killings from drawing too much attention to him
-Deal with Misa who kept becoming a wrench in his plans and her appearance was a convenience for L.
-Kill L without getting caught

Light had way more to deal with and work around.
Correct. Not to mention that L for some inexplicable reason was suspicious of Light even when he acknowledged that there's only 5 percent (iirc) chance that he is Kira.

definitely L the dude was this close to winning the only difference is that light had competent allies and tools while L was on his own

Death Note, along with Rurouni Kenshin, has a special place in my heart as it hooked me up to anime and manga in general

Light and L both are GOATs in their own rights. But I prefer Light, he started the whole thing. Had a strong sense of justice which only becomes warped soon. L's challenge probably has something to do with it. Nevertheless, Light is a born leader and overall, more interesting character for me.

Bogard

You can't win
โ€Ž
Well, Light got carried away at the beginning as he began to wield a supernatural power. First, as L pointed out, Light was testing the abilities. How could he possibly have considered a detective with a supernatural brain to catch up. And of course, Light's flaw was his god complex.

But the other things you pointed out just add into Light's intelligence. He is not only very analytical and forward planning, but unlike L, Light has massive social intelligence. Able to play with emotions and manipulate people. Manipulate even the Shinigami. Ryuk, again, was of no help. And Rem even threatened Light. But his charisma allowed him to play everyone. Just remember how he played Naomi and got her name. L has no social intelligence.

^
Fair point on the social intelligence bit, it's true that it was something L was lacking, but i was more referring to deductive intelligence

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
It's been a while since I watched it (I didn't finish the manga), so my impressions aren't the most refined or accurate. I really liked Light and L. Next would have been Near I guess. The others didn't really leave that much of an impression on me.

L was much more experienced than Light, had huge wealth, whole Japanese Task Force, FBI and every possible law enforcement and media support. Light was 7 years younger and completely a newbie. The shinigamis were also not really useful as they wont tell Ls real name. Light was more intelligent, the authors also agree:

Did you know there was a chart by the mangaka regarding the intelligence and other things?

Light has 9

L has 8

Last edited:
I read somewhere that those charts aren't officially from the author.

Near has a 9 (higher than L) but then Near said that together with Mellow (who is a 7 or so) they could stand with L or even surpass him. And Light himself viewed Near as inferior to L.

But I agree. Light is slightly more intelligent if we consider all branches of intelligence.