Chapter Discussion Did the Sanji Gag in the recent chapter bother anyone?

Were you bothered by the gag?

• Total voters
Overly repetitive gag. It wouldn’t bother me if it didn’t happen so much in this arc already.

If you heard the same joke 10 times, would you laugh like you did the first time? Not unless it was a really good one. :usoprice:

He needs more moments where he acts normal even around women, like during Whole Cake Island. That arc was probably the best for his character, which means sense because… you know… it was his arc.

Obviously he doesn’t dance around with heart eyes in every panel, but he usually does that when he first acquaints himself with a female character. He also does it whenever Nami or Robin ask him to do something or when he wants to do something for them himself.

I’m sure Oda tries to write it like its part of his charm, like “Oh, how sweet. Sanji’s willing to do X for Y.” and that would be fine, but there’s times where it seems poorly executed.

I think the original translation for this chapter was incorrect (I hope), because it said “Can you call me your dog?!” as opposed to ”You can consider me your loyal dog!” which sounds a bit better and less ”beggy”. Whether it was a genuine mistake or a joke to poke fun at him, I guess that’s what we get for reading the chapters early. :catsweat:

Sanji could be a better character, although all the Straw Hats could be better if you think about it. Some need a bit more work than others, and Oda should put more focus on the ones that do.

Overly repetitive gag. It wouldn’t bother me if it didn’t happen so much in this arc already.

If you heard the same joke 10 times, would you laugh like you did the first time? Not unless it was a really good one. :usoprice:

He needs more moments where he acts normal even around women, like during Whole Cake Island. That arc was probably the best for his character, which means sense because… you know… it was his arc.

Obviously he doesn’t dance around with heart eyes in every panel, but he usually does that when he first acquaints himself with a female character. He also does it whenever Nami or Robin ask him to do something or when he wants to do something for them himself.

I’m sure Oda tries to write it like its part of his charm, like “Oh, how sweet. Sanji’s willing to do X for Y.” and that would be fine, but there’s times where it seems poorly executed.

I think the original translation for this chapter was incorrect (I hope), because it said “Can you call me your dog?!” as opposed to ”You can consider me your loyal dog!” which sounds a bit better and less ”beggy”. Whether it was a genuine mistake or a joke to poke fun at him, I guess that’s what we get for reading the chapters early. :catsweat:

Sanji could be a better character, although all the Straw Hats could be better if you think about it. Some need a bit more work than others, and Oda should put more focus on the ones that do.
This:kata:

I wasn't as annoyed with the gag pre-TS, it was there, but it wasn't the only thing about Sanji. I sorta ship his with Pudding because at some point he was just normal around her, and even had derp face like wtf you're suggesting. I need a time skip for that ship tho :few:

Let's hope Egghead continues and has a limited amount of characters, so that we can continue enjoying SH interactions :)

Has it happened a lot this arc?

not really i didn't had any problem with it as of now if its just once in while and for just few short panel
and this time it was some what funny
If it is used to establish a woman as beautiful/impressive/etc, I don't mind.

The problem, even for us sanjibros, is that Oda should've make him focus on searching for Vegapunk. Especially when his specialty is CoO and is proven to be good at finding people (Punk Hazard Kinemon).