General & Others Do you consider one piece peak fiction?

Is one piece peak fiction?

• Hell yeah,the author isn't called Goda for nothing

• U mad? Not even close

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hear this thrown around alot on many platforms and social media and while I enjoy the one piece story alot, can't help but scoffle at the idea this is the best piece of fiction out there.

I haven't read too many pieces of fiction to relatively compare one piece accurately to them but the thought of story aimed at teenagers being the best out makes me worry of the world's global author creativity.

Thoughts?

Have I read more complex or solid pieces of literature than this? Yes.

Does it have it's merits? Yes, it defined an era of shonen manga, it's crazy original, and for something written over the span of more than 25 years on a weekly basis it's surprisingly solid.

Are there things I dislike? Yes, I can think of many things especially post-timeskip.

Do I love One Piece? Yes, it's one of the pieces of fiction that I'm the most fond regardless of there being bad things about it. I grew up reading it and it's what made me start reading fantasy in general.

Being mainly aimed at teenagers doesn't discredit it from being good fiction. Everything has a target audience and just the same, not everyone will enjoy more mature reads.

So for me it's peak fiction. Unless that means it has to be my "absolute favorite read". I don't even have one.

Peak fiction…? I don’t know if I’d call it that now, although pre-timeskip definitely was for me.

The manga has its ups and downs. It can feel like a very great manga to some for a while until the story gets to a point they don’t like, and then they’ll either stick with it or quit reading.

Skypiea, Water 7 and Marineford (to name a few) were great arcs, I liked those. Wano was pretty good in the beginning and still had some great moments, although the pacing didn’t help and because of that Oda rushing it near the end left a bad taste in my mouth.

It’s peak fiction when you think it’s peak, I guess. :milaugh:

I hear this thrown around alot on many platforms and social media and while I enjoy the one piece story alot, can't help but scoffle at the idea this is the best piece of fiction out there.

I haven't read too many pieces of fiction to relatively compare one piece accurately to them but the thought of story aimed at teenagers being the best out makes me worry of the world's global author creativity.

Thoughts?
Not even close. :suresure:

To me on a world building aspect yeah. I rarely ever see other discussion boards have this many open topics about lore, characters and more. Even the people that allegedly the series are like old timers that you just ackowledge they are part of the family even when they say they arent lol.

I think people need to remember Oda is human. His motivation to draw and write is as important as a readers need to consume. Both sides need to be invested.

Imo, we are at the precipice, the things Oda has wanted to draw for 15 years now. Wano felt dangerously close to the author losing motivation imo. Because even while he states hes always wanted to draw it, he nonstopped teased what would come after, and I feel like a lot of that was self validation.

I still think the series has immense value and a massive opportunity to end strongly. Very rarely do you have plotlines that last this long and seem "mostly" planned, mainly due to the early characters involved.

Junatic

Lunatic Queen
Not rly. I was never rly into anime and mangas in general, but I've watched a lot of movies and TV shows and I'd say OP can hardly be called peak fiction, especially since the timeskip. It's very nice for its targeted audience, which is teenagers, and I very much enjoyed it when I started readin it around the age of 14. But I doon't think I would have been interested in the slightest had I started readin it now. The reason I'm still interested in it has way more to do w/ nostalgia and sentimental value than w/ the quality of the story.

To state it as peak fiction may be too ambitious but OP is definitely one of the most complete fiction and imo definitely the most complete manga ever. Even Berserk plot is gradually ruined, the only peak was The Eclipse and Egg of Perfect World and thats it. HxH has Phantom Troupe, Chimera Ant, but the author's health issues and motivation blocks them from making each a complete craft.

While even with excessive burnouts, exhaustion, inability to finish ultimate fight scenes strongly (from the post-TS arc dragging and poor pacing climaxes), Oda still managed to pull out pinnacle revealing moments like G4, Imu at Empty Throne scene, and G5. And all the while juggling the lore, thousands of characters and art intact. Oda is truly a creative machine.

Last edited: