Questions & Mysteries How did Mihawk make a black blade and Roger couldn't??

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Chapter 1023 seemingly gives some explanation.
Zoro vs. King, Zoro said King wasn't a Swordsman.
King said he isn't, and he defined what a Swordsman is... a Swordsman is someone who sticks to a traditional style and form in battle in the TCB, whereas the Viz translation for King, he states he's willing to use anything to win a battle including biting his opponent.
In other words, a Swordsman is someone who will literally only rely on a Sword to win a fight and nothing else but Sword techniques.

I'd imagine Whitebeard and Roger weren't Swordsmen, they're willing to win battles even without a Sword. Black blades can probably only be developed by true Swordsmen, and I guess just like Enma was able to acknowledge Zoro and Oden, Swords can acknowledge true swordsmen which is part of the requirement to get a black blade.
Gyukimaru also said Ryuman's black blade was forged through many battles.

Adding everything up together, it seems a Black blade is formed by a Swordsman (someone who only relies on a Sword to win and is dedicated to Swordsmanship alone) through many battles. I guess once the Sword acknowledges you're the best Swordsman along with extraordinary Haki, you acquire a Black blade, that's what I think so far.

Not to say Roger isn't a Swordsman, but he's probably not dedicated to purely Swordsmanship the way Zoro or Mihawk are. Roger was probably an amazing Swordsman, but not a pure Swordsman if I had to guess.
HP... Long time no see and you still cope the same... :crazwhat:
This whole argument falls apart because Zoro too is willing to do anything to win, he literally said it.
The loss was never an option for Zoro, regardless of who he fights, a swordsman or not.

You simply have to acknowledge that Roger was too weak to do it just like the rest of the universe.
Whoever expected to see the peak of power of the OP world through a background character like Roger, simply failed at basic narrative.
Zoro vs Mihawk is the fight of all fights, no other will surpass it. Two strongest characters One Piece has created.

While I think CoC is part of the equation (as CoC is also will and ambition, including forcing your will and power upon the blade), I think armament is a key aspect, since it is both used to harden and blacken the blade and make the swordsman to "cut everything and nothing, as he wishes", while ACoC mostly works as an amplification of whatever you have, rather than giving new properties.

Mihawk and Ryuma certainly didn't have a black blade simply because they had stronger conqueror's Haki. Zoro even wondered about phrasing it "forging" a black blade, while Road to Laughtale asked, whether Haki alone is enough.

Lying through your teeth won't help when we have all these canon info contradicting your agenda. Roger loved his sword more than anyone in the story
My “agenda” didn’t really contradict what the story highlighted between both characters. You selecting info that is there about Roger is canon and true, but it’s not defining his character like Mihawk.

I don’t care what a black means because it seems to so far only apply to Mihawk, the greatest swordsman. So far from what we see it’s a pinnacle of strength only seen once so far in the story. But it’s not emphasized that he is the strongest.

I think your response is more about your agenda of Mihawk supremacy than it is with how the story is written

Last edited:
Can you provide any real proof to back up your agenda :milaugh:
What agenda do I have? Tell me since you
There is nothing that can help you if you can't read and trying twist the title author gave him from the very beginning of the series. spouting that crap with the amount of overwhelming evidence

Yeah my guy, as a swordsman. That’s the difference. Why say that if he were the strongest period?

That’s what my problem is, not even about fan wars. If it were described as such then sure. But it never is, where Roger and Whiteboard are otherwise. That Gen is still treated as pinnacle, and I never understood the comparison to Mihawk and Roger. None of the characters put him on that pedestal, so I am wondering why hardcore fans of Mihawk (in proxy Zoro) treat him as such.

To Shanks, sure that is debatable. But the over reach due to bias is a bit wack and not true to the story when it comes to Roger.