Character Discussion How do you feel about Jack the dragdown?

In terms of portrayal, Jack is an utter mess.

Back during Zou Arc, Jack was the bee's knees. This man came onto the scene with a bounty number that the fandom originally thought would be reserved for Yonko. He then preceded to assert his dominance by practically single handedly decimating an entire country of warriors. After that, Jack even had the guts to take an Admiral and a former Fleet Admiral head on simultaneously.

Zou Arc Jack was the monstrous madman who Kaido sends when he has zero interest in negotiations.

Fast forward to Wano and suddenly, Jack is the whipping boy for the other Calamities and the bloke Kaido sends to negotiate with overweight bandits to be his nakama. To add insult to injury, his major fights against the Dukes, a hyped confrontation that was setup since Zou, got mostly off screened and his hybrid form looks horrendously ugly.

Sodding Urashima gets his fight completely on screen but not Jack. Freaking Babanuki gets a named attack but not Jack.

Oda treated Jack like complete crap during Wano after having made him such a beast during Zou but hey, at least we can all look forward to seeing Orochi get dicked on for a third time. That is what everyone wants to see, right? :yasu:
It's the new Bobbin.

Jack is fine if you don't compare him to Cracker. Just because Cracker beat G4 by outlasting it and also overpowered G3, people expected Jack's feat to surpass Cracker because Jack is 1 billion bounty man while Cracker is 860 million bounty man. That's why many people with their headcannon said hybrid Jack>Sulong Inu because they wanted Jack to be stronger than Cracker only for Oda to portray Jack to be as strong as 1 arm veteran Perospero lol.
BM pirates ain’t at push over in comparison with the beast pirates. Despite some YC having much lower bounties between the two crews commanders! Even Peros had somewhat the strength to be close to YC despite not being one let’s not forget Snack who used to be a commander… BM’s crew is just that strong lol

G

Gorosei Informer

Jack deserved so much better, I can't even feel anger but just overwhelming disappointment and sadness. I am so sick of Oda's BS. Clearly making Big Mom's commanders look bad wasn't enough for Oda.
What was the point of Snack except to hype up Urouge?
My wishes to see Smoothie truly be redeemed are fading in anguish too.

But Jack, man, I don't even know what to say. I was already pissed off when the Dukes went Sulong and fought him, only for it to get off-screened I think, it was over very suddenly and Jack got thrown off Onigashima roof to ground level or so right? I already felt so underwhelmed and frustrated about that, I remember that much at least.

I had so much hype for Jack and now Oda just seems to want to keep downplaying him like he has done to Sanji and Smoker post TS. Does each faction have a "Butt-Monkey" for Oda to make suffer? Burgess for Blackbeard? Who next/else? Karasu for the Revolutionaries maybe or even Sabo since he's giving him an "off-screen death/death fakeout" already too? Oh wait Kuma I guess? Although he's made Kuma seem insanely badass, wholesome, noble etc despite the brutal treatment and suffering he's gotten.

I seriously dread to think how Oda is gonna ruin the Red Hair and Blackbeard pirates now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack is fine if you don't compare him to Cracker. Just because Cracker beat G4 by outlasting it and also overpowered G3, people expected Jack's feat to surpass Cracker because Jack is 1 billion bounty man while Cracker is 860 million bounty man. That's why many people with their headcannon said hybrid Jack>Sulong Inu because they wanted Jack to be stronger than Cracker only for Oda to portray Jack to be as strong as 1 arm veteran Perospero lol.
Nah I aint comparing to him
From now on, the name of the work makes sense with what is contained in it, let's see just a part of the struggles.
your avatar btw :pepeanger:
I seriously dread to think how Oda is gonna ruin the Red Hair and Blackbeard pirates now.
I dont think oda gonna hoe Red Hair Pirates atleast. They're portrayed very well as most balanced crew and their executives like roo, yasopp and ben were particularly mentioned while bounty reveal at HQ

G

Gorosei Informer

Nah I aint comparing to him

your avatar btw :pepeanger:

I dont think oda gonna hoe Red Hair Pirates atleast. They're portrayed very well as most balanced crew and their executives like roo, yasopp and ben were particularly mentioned while bounty reveal at HQ
Yeah that's what I'm really hoping for. They're so important to Luffy (to Usopp as well at least ofc with Yasopp) and have been there from the beginning and as you said the most balanced/tight knit crew. I really hope the hype for them pays off bigtime. I don't want to see them get jobbed like certain other hyped important individuals in other Shonen series.

Yeah that's what I'm really hoping for. They're so important to Luffy (to Usopp as well at least ofc with Yasopp) and have been there from the beginning and as you said the most balanced/tight knit crew. I really hope the hype for them pays off bigtime. I don't want to see them get jobbed like certain other hyped important individuals in other Shonen series.
But strawhats are going to be stronk too if they face RHP :sadgrin:

G

Gorosei Informer

But strawhats are going to be stronk too if they face RHP :sadgrin:
Lmao I did wonder about that! But maybe we're understimating the RHP hopefully? Such a small crew that stand equally with Yonkos and Admirals (Admiral with Shanks at least ofc)? Oda might be saving the best for last?

Nami and Usopp are still way out of their league too imo, maybe Chopper too? I think the rest of the SHs especially the Monster Trio ofc, Jinbei naturally, Robin, maybe Brook and if Yamato joins ofc will give the RHP a really good fight?

Part of me really wants them to have a Davy Back Fight too though and Shanks to put them through a training test maybe, a test to see if they're worthy of the One Piece, Laugh Tale and Pirate King for Luffy ofc, along with the consequences of what they're aiming for both on the world and for themselves regarding the Marines, WG, other pirates especially Yonkos and such?

I really hope Oda doesn't fuck this up.

G

Gorosei Informer

Oda is TRASH
Post automatically merged:

I can't believe how my favorite manga fall...
I spend years discussion it...
This is horrible...
I didn't like Bleach and Naruto ending, called it trash. While right now I will drop this shit even before final arc.
Completely understandable and relatable. I was terrified for OP after how Naruto and Bleach ended and my fears feel all the more realised over the years since then and especially recently. I'm scared to see how much worse this can get and it will be immensely worse than it would be for Naruto and Bleach too even.

I would have dropped OP a long time ago if it wasn't for certain characters, mysteries/plot elements, reveals etc keeping me desperately hanging on, much like Oden to Whitebeard's ship lmao.

Lmao I did wonder about that! But maybe we're understimating the RHP hopefully? Such a small crew that stand equally with Yonkos and Admirals (Admiral with Shanks at least ofc)? Oda might be saving the best for last?

Nami and Usopp are still way out of their league too imo, maybe Chopper too? I think the rest of the SHs especially the Monster Trio ofc, Jinbei naturally, Robin, maybe Brook and if Yamato joins ofc will give the RHP a really good fight?

Part of me really wants them to have a Davy Back Fight too though and Shanks to put them through a training test maybe, a test to see if they're worthy of the One Piece, Laugh Tale and Pirate King for Luffy ofc, along with the consequences of what they're aiming for both on the world and for themselves regarding the Marines, WG, other pirates especially Yonkos and such?

I really hope Oda doesn't fuck this up.
I only see Luffy, Zoro, Sanji and Yamato(if she joins) going against RHP very well. Jinbei too. The executors of RHP wont be that strong besides Roo, Ben, and yassop. But I hope Oda proves me wrong lol

Im not upset Jack lost this chapter or to a Duke. That’s all fine, power levels largely come second to my enjoyment of a character.

What irks me is the fact Jack did nothing in the manga. The biggest contribution was Zou, a flashback arc. Which was also roughly 200~ chapters ago.

The fact he was given zero love or attention from Oda but was kept in the manga this long is baffling. Remove him much earlier if your ultimate plans include such a wasteful and flippant ending for one of the big theee subordinates that the Antagonist has.

If Oda intended him to go out here, he should’ve done something on screen and in recent memory.

Instead he received less focus — albeit understandably due to the nature of his opponent — then even Sasaki. Sasaki, the least exposed of the Tobi Rōppo.
Literally facts above and I can't understand people who saying that Jack hadn't any role... It wasn't about him losing to Dukes, I don't care if lose or not, but him losing in this way? After all his previous fights end in offscreen? That is terrible in my opinion, pure trash and disrespect against his character. Really one of the worst choice which Oda do in the last 10-15years...

Completely understandable and relatable. I was terrified for OP after how Naruto and Bleach ended and my fears feel all the more realised over the years since then and especially recently. I'm scared to see how much worse this can get and it will be immensely worse than it would be for Naruto and Bleach too even.

I would have dropped OP a long time ago if it wasn't for certain characters, mysteries/plot elements, reveals etc keeping me desperately hanging on, much like Oden to Whitebeard's ship lmao.
Right now Rave Master>>>> One Piece and it's beyond discussion. Good job Mashima...you beat Oda! There is zero chance to One Piece became good story right now