Character Discussion How would you react if Shanks was truly evil?

I had to think a lot to answer your question. Then I just realised I don't really care about Shanks. Anyway, I think him being evil would be pretty boring, to be honest. He wants the One Piece, so that puts him into a possible collision course with the Straw Hats and I think it will be more interesting to see what solution Oda brings without turning Shanks into an evil character

I dont buy truly "evil" narrative and never have. Not with his mentality of safeguarding the weak as a Yonko crew. He does intend to achieve peace, but evidently there is a tragic element to that based on who he seems to be (heavy ties to Roger, yet also obviously tied to the WG)

I do buy a very antagonistic role on what he wants to "do" with One Piece (I assume he knows what it is) and the role he has for Luffy. I dont think he's ever intended to be Pirate King and knows that he's not destined for it, but knows Luffy is (clearly he fed the fruit to him on purpose or knew the fruit would "find" him). I believe his brutality in general supports his no nonsense demeanor which is very uncharacteristic of a true "good" person.

If he's actually, truly evil, i personally would dislike it.

I dont buy truly "evil" narrative and never have. Not with his mentality of safeguarding the weak as a Yonko crew. He does intend to achieve peace, but evidently there is a tragic element to that based on who he seems to be (heavy ties to Roger, yet also obviously tied to the WG)

I do buy a very antagonistic role on what he wants to "do" with One Piece (I assume he knows what it is) and the role he has for Luffy. I dont think he's ever intended to be Pirate King and knows that he's not destined for it, but knows Luffy is (clearly he fed the fruit to him on purpose or knew the fruit would "find" him). I believe his brutality in general supports his no nonsense demeanor which is very uncharacteristic of a true "good" person.

If he's actually, truly evil, i personally would dislike it.
well said

Weirded out? Every indication we have of him is that he is a good guy Pirate. Sure, one that is more kill-happy than Luffy and his crew, but why would he protect a fodder fleet if he were a truly evil character? Why give his arm up for Luffy instead of killing him/letting him die against the Lord of the Coast and taking the fruit back? Too many unnecessary questions get raised.

Last edited:
Weirded out? Every indication we have of him is that he is a good guy Pirate. Sure, one that is more kill-happy than Luffy and his crew, but why would he protect a fooder fleet if he were a truly evil character? Why give his arm up for Luffy instead of killing him/letting him die against the Lord of the Coast and taking the fruit back? Too many unnecessary questions get raised.
What if Shanks is based on him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_John_Silver

Just looking at this scene in isolation ultimately suggests he is not "really" on Luffy's side:

Like theres pure antagonism drawn on his face lol, you dont draw characters lkke this unless you are trying to paint a picture about them, albeit loosely.

I dont even need to mention his Gorosei meeting or my PFP or how he absolutely brutalized Kid
Seems like he sees that Luffy's finally bringing out his full potential and wants to be a final roadblock for him to determine if he's truly worthy of becoming the PK.

Seems like he sees that Luffy's finally bringing out his full potential and wants to be a final roadblock for him to determine if he's truly worthy of becoming the PK.
To me, its less a "roadblock" and more "lets accomplish this thing together that I have planned out".
But yes, to the same effect, if he's the one standing at LT and Luffy and him are essentially at odds, he's basically the Roadblock to PK. Especially when you consider that he is basically just Roger in all but appearance and personality.

Oda does not generally make allusions to real life Pirates without being very clear as to whom he is basing a character off. He named Teach Blackbeard for fucks sake. If he wanted Shanks to be based on Long John Silver, he would have just named Shanks John. Especially with Shanks last name likely being Figarland, the connection is just not there.

Weirded out? Every indication we have of him is that he is a good guy Pirate. Sure, one that is more kill-happy than Luffy and his crew, but why would he protect a fooder fleet if he were a truly evil character? Why give his arm up for Luffy instead of killing him/letting him die against the Lord of the Coast and taking the fruit back? Too many unnecessary questions get raised.
Because evidently there is a reason for saving him. "Evil" is definitely not a good indicator, but "using" Luffy is. The Zoan fruit chose him, so at that point, it ultimately made sense (barring the fact that he probably knew Luffy's name) to make sure he lived.

The bigger question is what Shanks actually wants Luffy for with One Piece and LT. That, imo, doesn't seem to be "Good Guy" Pirate motive especially when he straight up meets Gorosei for his own reasons and Oda draws him with really weird faces when discussing Luffy and One Piece.