Character Discussion I genuinely don't understand why do people hate Akainu so much

I don’t think Akainu has pretended to care about the well-being of citizens around the world even once, so this is not really a hypocrisy. Akainu’s entire motive is to destroy evil, not to protect good.

If we’re talking hypocrites, then Garp or Sengoku are the true hypocrites as each of them has claimed to care about innocent lives before but knowingly stood by and even cooperated when the WG was killing babies. Hell Garp essentially made all the babies the WG killed in vein be for nothing, as he saved Ace when killing Ace was the entire point of the WG killing children. I don’t think Akainu has even once pretended to care about innocent civilians or innocent babies.

That is what makes Akainu a great villain, as he is literally not a hypocrite and believes whole-heartedly in his actions.

Who says that? The citizens of the world who eat up whatever propaganda the WG feeds them? Sakazuki is known for his black-heartedness, I’m pretty sure the only people who actually like him are his direct subordinates in the Navy, and even most of them think he is nuts lol.
OP said that Akainu was a good guy but he then admitted he was trolling so that's fine. I agree on Garp and Sengoku being hypocrites.
I don't dislike Akainu.

I doubt people HATE Akainu as much as people are just salty over his stans. If people hate him I imagine they hate him as the way Oda intends him in that hes an antagonist that has done actions that properly gets you to root for his demise.
OT: people hate Akainu because he is designed to be the polar opposite of generic Shonen fanservice “characters” like Ace and Yamato lol. OP is a story where the most popular characters are usually fanservice garbage and Akainu flips that trope on its head. Since the OP fandom has terrible taste in characters and manga in general, they naturally hate Akainu lol.
Its Ironic because Akainu and the admirals are the definition of fanservice characters as they are based off IRL actors Oda admires. But them being fanservice doesn't stop them from being written well and be in service to the narrative as a whole.
Garp and Sengoku being hypocrites
Dont hate the player, hate the game. Its not their fault the elders are batshit insane.

Well gas weapons are considered against the rules in war irl.

Pyrrhic victories that reveal to the public that the pirate that you've hyped up as being ultimate danger, as actually being a noble man who fights more honorably than you, are not good optics, and can and do create revolutionary support.

WB's last words will hold more weight than Akainu's last words, and that is in part due to the way they conduct themselves.

This is a difference between consequential philosophy ( the ends justify the means); vs. deontological philosophy, i.e. the morality of the actions are more important than 1 particular outcome (which is in itself only a snapshot of time).

If in fighting monsters you become a worse monster, then you have failed to further good in the world, whether or not you kill your personal "enemy" or not. If an existential threat arises, you have weakened the world's capacity to fight against it, this can be seen through Blackbeard.

This also ties into inherited will, and the moral, great heroes like Joyboy who has currently "lost" will win through Luffy inheriting his will through time.
First of all, please define morality or Good. Then we will talk.

Beside US nuke japan twice on civilians. USA is on Allied team. USA Revolution kill Native American because they side British colonies.

Whitebeard just told peo the one piece is real and hype the treasure. It is like advertising that the toy would shake the world that make many people buy it.
Post automatically merged:

See this is what I was talking about

And for your point lets just agree to disagree cuz I don't want to waste my time explaining why Kaido > Akainu
D: Odacchi!! In the sbs from volume 82 you told us how to escape from Akainu, bears, ghosts and the like. But when I try to do this before my angered mother I'm just beaten up... Is my mother stronger than Akainu? P.N. Star Fairy
O: You better watch out! you're being too brash! A mother is the strongest living being in the world, even stronger than Kaido!! Don't you dare do it again! But, you know, your mother loves you more than anyone else.
:hapnoel:
dude he is talking about your mother joke and it is literal joke.
Meanwhile in interview oda said Akainu is so strong that he end one piece a year.

That same Kaido took damage from izo guy, and Akainu is immune to yonko commander level attacks

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Its Ironic because Akainu and the admirals are the definition of fanservice characters as they are based off IRL actors Oda admires.
That's not what a fanservice character is lol. Basing a character's design off of real life figures is not what makes a character fanservice.

A character is fanservice when there is little/no depth to their characters, or little/no point to their existence aside from pandering to generic personality traits that you think will be popular among your fanbase. A fanservice character is a character who only exists because you think their existence will boost your sales, and there otherwise being no other purpose in their introduction to the story.

Yamato is easily the greatest example of this, she is a deranged nutjob with no reason to exist in Wano but is popular because she has tits and looks like Nami (for no other reason than Oda knows weebs wack it to Nami). Ace is a worse example as their was actually a purpose to his character arc (that was ruined with the introduction of Sabo) but Ace was very much written to have a generic "smiling mascot" personality.

The Admirals being based off of irl actors is just an aspect of their design, the writing around their characters and arcs actually serves a narrative purpose and each of them serves to communicate different themes in the manga. Yamato is here because Wano needed a new pair of tits to boost sales lol.

I don't know where you're getting that people "hate" Akainu, outside of maybe people who take "yonko vs admirals" discussions way too seriously lol

He's a fantastic character, but plot-wise, he's only second to the Gorosei when it comes to going too far for the sake of "justice", being willing to kill his own soldiers or civillians. He's an extremist.

This makes him unlikable in a way that is clearly intended, but he's done his job as an antagonist really well so far.

I enjoy all the evil stuff Akainu does in the manga, it makes the story more interesting and exciting.

People have an issue with the evil acts Akainu commits but have no problem being fans of other evil characters like Crocodile, Doflamingo, Big Mom, Kaido, Blackbeard, ect.

Akainu is not any more evil than other antagonists in One Piece tbh.

what evil does for Akainu would be hero in Ancient Rome empire. Read the history book about ancient warfare like caser Roman empire war on gauls.
In fact Ancient Rome Empire would destroy the pirates lead by julius caesar.

Last edited:
Neither do pirates, and yet you people wank them to oblivion like they're heroes. You're just making up excuses out of hypocrisy to hate on Akainu
The thing with Akainu is that he pretends to have honor

He had a valid point. He thought the scholars were trying to revive the ancient weapons and that one of the scholars might have tried to hide with the refugees. So if he hadn't done that and a scholar had escaped, then the whole Ohara destruction would have been for nothing
He's just afraid of knowledge, actually doesn't think that much about anything, his sole purpose is to obey orders

Last edited:
That's not what a fanservice character is lol. Basing a character's design off of real life figures is not what makes a character fanservice.

A character is fanservice when there is little/no depth to their characters, or little/no point to their existence aside from pandering to generic personality traits that you think will be popular among your fanbase. A fanservice character is a character who only exists because you think their existence will boost your sales, and there otherwise being no other purpose in their introduction to the story.

Yamato is easily the greatest example of this, she is a deranged nutjob with no reason to exist in Wano but is popular because she has tits and looks like Nami (for no other reason than Oda knows weebs wack it to Nami). Ace is a worse example as their was actually a purpose to his character arc (that was ruined with the introduction of Sabo) but Ace was very much written to have a generic "smiling mascot" personality.

The Admirals being based off of irl actors is just an aspect of their design, the writing around their characters and arcs actually serves a narrative purpose and each of them serves to communicate different themes in the manga. Yamato is here because Wano needed a new pair of tits to boost sales lol.
Guess my description of fanservice is one of self indulgence. In the sense that Oda gives admirals the most feats with few repercussion or down sides in service to himself as a fan of the actors he based them on, or at the very least fans of those actors or even fans of marines as fanservice isn't something that has to pertain to the protagonist or in favor of. Like would Oda really treat Akainu the way he did in marineford if he wasn't a fan of Bunta Sugawara? That's why fanservice isn't something that should be seen as an inherently bad thing as long as its given depth and serves the narrative of the story instead of hindering it.

First of all, please define morality or Good. Then we will talk.

Beside US nuke japan twice on civilians. USA is on Allied team. USA Revolution kill Native American because they side British colonies.

Whitebeard just told peo the one piece is real and hype the treasure. It is like advertising that the toy would shake the world that make many people buy it.

dude he is talking about your mother joke and it is literal joke.
Meanwhile in interview oda said Akainu is so strong that he end one piece a year.

That same Kaido took damage from izo guy, and Akainu is immune to yonko commander level attacks
Life isn't manga, it is black and white that Luffy and Whitebeard are good, moral characters.

I'd consider the nuking of civilians as immoral, a consequentialist approach that Akainu would have favored because the ends would justify the means.
I'd argue about the back and forth nature of the battles with "native" Americans, but I think that is too off topic.

He’s a great character and a competent villain. I can’t wait for his backstory. I think nobody would like him in real life but he makes the story better. Great villains are important for a good story

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Like would Oda really treat Akainu the way he did in marineford if he wasn't a fan of Bunta Sugawara?
I think you have it in the reverse order there lol, this is not how you write characters. At least not how you write real characters.

Oda is not going to create a Bunta Sugawara-like Marine and then say “huh, I really like Bunta Sugawara so therefore I’m going to make this Marine an Admiral and Fleet Admiral”

Oda is going to envision an Absolute Justice embodying Marine, and then plan a story around Absolute Justice taking over the Marines centered around that character. And then he’ll base that Marine off Bunta Sugawara because he thinks Sugawara would have the demeanor that matches such a character.

Besides, Admirals resembling actors Oda likes does not take away from their themes and character arcs. Yamato has no theme or character arc because she exists solely to attract shallow idiots to Wano and boost sales that way.

Life isn't manga, it is black and white that Luffy and Whitebeard are good, moral characters.

I'd consider the nuking of civilians as immoral, a consequentialist approach that Akainu would have favored because the ends would justify the means.
I'd argue about the back and forth nature of the battles with "native" Americans, but I think that is too off topic.
I am pretty one piece manga as grey stuff as many fans argue. Btw I am not argue for it.It is just adventure pirate story. Just point the point of view. Is sanj good guy to you ? I don’t think luffy is bad guy because we saw his actions depending on view point.

Many peope argue nuking cites is good act like USA nuke cites. Saw youtube comment who it it okay to nuke people because they are Muslims, or China.

in my view point, nuke is no different than weapon use. War is about winning. Rules don’t matter.
American Revolution is revolutionary as Monkey d dragon. Like change new government thing. But we saw of how affect to many people and it is done. It is up to decide to support Revolution or not.

Then it will goes off topic with many different view point. So I would not argue for more.

I am pretty one piece manga as grey stuff as many fans argue. Btw I am not argue for it.It is just adventure pirate story. Just point the point of view. Is sanj good guy to you ? I don’t think luffy is bad guy because we saw his actions depending on view point.

Many peope argue nuking cites is good act like USA nuke cites. Saw youtube comment who it it okay to nuke people because they are Muslims, or China.

in my view point, nuke is no different than weapon use. War is about winning. Rules don’t matter.
American Revolution is revolutionary as Monkey d dragon. Like change new government thing. But we saw of how affect to many people and it is done. It is up to decide to support Revolution or not.

Then it will goes off topic with many different view point. So I would not argue for more.
Yeah One Piece is full of grey moralities. I can just think of the SHs themselves. They killed so many fodders throughout their journeys.

Papazuki is also not perfect but he does apply a model of justice that is the most efficient when it comes to a strategy of respect.

akainu is great character he never waste tme or bullshit around running up n down in wano he get his job done
sure he kill ace and extreme in his method but his opponent are bloody scum pirates who also evil
he is true example of
'Friedrich Nietzsche - Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."

I think you have it in the reverse order there lol, this is not how you write characters. At least not how you write real characters.
Of course that's not the end all be all of writing a character. Consider it more as a stepping stone to writing one.
Oda is not going to create a Bunta Sugawara-like Marine and then say “huh, I really like Bunta Sugawara so therefore I’m going to make this Marine an Admiral and Fleet Admiral”

Oda is going to envision an Absolute Justice embodying Marine, and then plan a story around Absolute Justice taking over the Marines centered around that character. And then he’ll base that Marine off Bunta Sugawara because he thinks Sugawara would have the demeanor that matches such a character.
Given Odas history to base some of his characters appearance off of IRL people besides admirals even in his early arcs, its not too far fetched for Oda in his early planning of writing to figure out where to place Sugawara in the series. Because hes a fan he probably wanted to place him in some vital role in the series instead of a self contained arc so he naturally put more thought into how that role would function in the story. "Oh, how bout I place him as one of the top fighting force in the marines!" "Since his most famous role is from the series Battles without Honor and Humanity that will help flesh out his characterization and contrast with the pirates!" (Hell, those movies also had Kunie Tanaka who Kizaru was based off of) This just speculation, but still I dont think Akainu would have been fleshed out as far if Sugawara wasn't in Odas head when taking inspiration into consideration. Same can go to all the admirals.
Besides, Admirals resembling actors Oda likes does not take away from their themes and character arcs. Yamato has no theme or character arc because she exists solely to attract shallow idiots to Wano and boost sales that way.
That's kind of my point. Fanservice can help enhance the writing of that character as the writer puts more thought into their role in the story so as to give that inspiration the JUSTICE it deserves both as a fan and for the sake of similar fans. It doesn't have to stop at being just pandering.

akainu is great character he never waste tme or bullshit around running up n down in wano he get his job done
sure he kill ace and extreme in his method but his opponent are bloody scum pirates who also evil
he is true example of
'Friedrich Nietzsche - Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."
Pretty much. It's not easy to administrate justice in an efficient way. If anything I would so much love to know what Akainu's past will unfold once it's eventually unraveled.