Character Discussion I genuinely don't understand why do people hate Akainu so much

It seems like most people hate Akainu because he's the "bad guy", even after we've been told time and time again that good and evil aren't objective concepts in the OP world, and that no one is really right or wrong

I can't help but feel like most people hate Akainu because he's "not cool", intimidating and cold-hearted, even if his actions aren't really that bad. When you look at it, pirates are mostly scum, and generally much worse than Akainu. Akainu might does some despicable things. But in comparison to most pirates who kill, rape and steal for absolutely no reason, he's a saint. He only really kills when he feels like it's the right thing to do - even if it isn't. While most pirates literally kill on a whim when they're bored or in a bad mood even when it serves no purpose. Most pirates just don't have ANY respect for life
Not because the bad guy. I feel like he's way too monotone/rigid as a character.

It seems like most people hate Akainu because he's the "bad guy", even after we've been told time and time again that good and evil aren't objective concepts in the OP world, and that no one is really right or wrong

I can't help but feel like most people hate Akainu because he's "not cool", intimidating and cold-hearted, even if his actions aren't really that bad. When you look at it, pirates are mostly scum, and generally much worse than Akainu. Akainu might does some despicable things. But in comparison to most pirates who kill, rape and steal for absolutely no reason, he's a saint. He only really kills when he feels like it's the right thing to do - even if it isn't. While most pirates literally kill on a whim when they're bored or in a bad mood even when it serves no purpose. Most pirates just don't have ANY respect for life
They only hate akainu because he fisted their golden boy thats all…
:absojustice::absojustice::absojustice:

1- Kill all the O'Hara's refugees
He had a valid point. He thought the scholars were trying to revive the ancient weapons and that one of the scholars might have tried to hide with the refugees. So if he hadn't done that and a scholar had escaped, then the whole Ohara destruction would have been for nothing

2- Being a Tenryubito Ball-liker
Bullshit. He literally talked shit to the five elders themselves without giving a fuck. We've never seen him ball licking any CD

3- (Headcannon) He probably did something coward fighting Kuzan
See? You just want to hate on Akainu however way you can even by making up assumptions about him

4- He has no honor
Neither do pirates, and yet you people wank them to oblivion like they're heroes. You're just making up excuses out of hypocrisy to hate on Akainu

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
Maybe, if he wouldnt have tried to kill one of his own people for having another opinion, he wouldnt be seen like that. But trying to kill Coby and needed to get stopped by Shanks makes his character worth to hate.

Maybe, if he wouldnt have tried to kill one of his own people for having another opinion, he wouldnt be seen like that. But trying to kill Coby and needed to get stopped by Shanks makes his character worth to hate.
I think nearly ALL high ranking military commanders IRL would shoot down a random soldier if he tried getting in their way in the middle of a war, even if he's on their side

It's less about Akainu being evil, and more about the military system being naturally hardcore

By far the most serious villain in the series. Unlike characters like Doffy, Blackbeard, or even Kaido, Akainu is the only one who doesn’t joke around or smile and laugh. This man is as serious and ruthless as they come. I’m so glad Oda added him to the story. Without him this series would be missing something special

No, One Piece has never been a story about there is no objectively good or bad things.

It has been a story about how simply being a pirate is not objectively evil, or being a Marine is not objectively good. And sometimes there’s a middle ground in that, although tbh that’s pretty rare.

But Akainu is not one of those middle ground characters (that’s more Aokiji), because as a Marine, supposed protector of the masses, he is a slavering genocidal attack dog to the law. He is not a morally grey character. He’ll kill for the sins of the father, he‘ll massacre because he’s ordered to. These are portrayed in-series as objectively bad things to do. You’re meant to sympathise with the people saying “it’s not a crime to exist“, not “kill all he pirates for the sake of (my perception of the abstract concept of) Justice!”

Akainu’s a great villain, but he is that- a villain.

Also anyone that hates him here I’d say tends to hate him for stupid powerlevel reasons, not cause of his actions.

That is his role. Oda wrote him to be a villain. Sure he is a marine so in theory a good guy but he is very different from people like Aokiji, Garp, Coby etc. He killed without problems the civilians of Ohara, executes on the spot marines who turn tail, is determined to erase every pirate no matter if a nobody or if he did a good dead. You can beat that if he was in place of Fuji back at Dressrosa he would have killed, or at least tried to, everybody Doffy and friends included. At the end of Marineford there is even a sort of comparison between him and BB as they are bloodlusted on a killstreak (then Shanks arrived). Even if if compared to guys like BB, Doffy, Kaido or BM for sure he has at the very least a shade of "good guy" more than them.

I think nearly ALL high ranking military commanders IRL would shoot down a random soldier if he tried getting in their way in the middle of a war, even if he's on their side

It's less about Akainu being evil, and more about the military system being naturally hardcore
Yeah yeah military officers in real life kill their own men cuz they are scared and purposely kill another one just because he says to stop wasting lives of their own men even after winning the war and massacre a whole country just cuz one of them could be against government

Yeah yeah military officers in real life kill their own men cuz they are scared and purposely kill another one just because he says to stop wasting lives of their own men even after winning the war and massacre a whole country just cuz one of them could be against government
Try it yourself, join the military and stand in front of your superior in the middle of the battle and DEMAND that he would stop fighting and retreat, then watch his reaction

In the military you either obey or you die. It's not a privilege of low-ranking soldiers to say when or when not the battle should start or end. And if any military let shit like that happen, it would crumble on itself