General & Others Is there any better manga than One Piece?

Is there any better manga than One Piece?

• NOPE

• YES, it's... (comment pls)

Results are only viewable after voting.
@HeroesNZ

I just checked some ToG chapters (the latest ones) and I'm like... WTF is that artstyle :crazwhat:

It seems like the spam ads you get on some crappy online reader :jay-yeah:

Plus I see on the subreddit that it just got on hiatus? I don't trust these Korean dudes, I'm still here waiting The Breaker part 3 :josad:
:saitahu:

WHATTTT

Bro the art is beautiful wtf, this is blasphemy of the highest order :usoprice:

I might have to report yo ass for this one 💀 The colours, the art, the fight scenes are all top notch - shittt I need to sit down I feel lightheaded 😩

Last edited:
Yes and no, the two answers are linked.

First yes, because Oda is using most of times previous ideas or the same structures. Post skip is not at the same lvl of pre skip. Just watch end of TB and end of FMI, Dressrosa or even WCI .. TB we were like "omg what's gonna happen ?"
But those arcs, we were like "just finish it" it's predictable ... i think the lenght of OP is really difficult to maintain so even Oda has lots of trouble.

No because all the mangas people gonna say "it's better than One Piece" have a lenght of 2, 3, 4, or 8 seasons. They are not even weekly.
If you really want to compare, bring us a manga who has a weekly release for 23 years, a world build like One Piece, who has so many theories, so many characters and so many arcs and twists. Even one page in One Piece is amazing with the amount of details. One Piece is a network and that's fucking amazing for a manga.
No one ? You know why ? It's impossible to create a manga like this.
Mangaka usually limits the numbers of theirs characters or arcs because it's too hard to draw and give a story for each of them. Most of panels or pages are empty. But Oda still creates stories for even side characters and probably still has many ideas for One Piece.

If you want really to compare. Just remove from the manga one piece all fodders, useless lenght and stories, arcs which are averages. But only with good moments for a lenght of 500 episodes. Starting from Luffy meeting Alvida to luffy becoming PK.
It will be the greatest without any rival.

Easy to say any manga is better than OP but imagine Shingeki no Kyojin for 900 episodes for example. it was possible when you look the hype and fame but the author couldn't because he has nothing more to add or say. That's why you can't compare Oda to anyone.

Berserk ? the only one i could accept to compare but still no ! why he started at 1989 but it's only 40 tomes and +300 chapters.
The author of berserk has so much time and it's monthly release. Not comparable.
99% will be lost if they release their manga every week.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
One Piece is Mid if we're being honest here and not sticking to nostalgia and fear of lost time. The post skip has been absolute garbage with a few chapters here and there that are good. The writing and logic makes very little sense most of the time and Oda has learned to resort to cheap tricks to gain hype and intrigue.

The biggest and most annoying of these fucking tricks are the silhouetting. It's a cheap way of building hype because he does it over and over and over again. By the time the character is revealed, no one gives a fuck. The design of the character is rarely impressive and their stories are rarely interesting.

It's a cheap way to build substance in a story and it grates on me every fucking time I see one. Just show the fucking character! Just give the proper information regarding the topic or subject instead of "saving" it. When you wait too long, no one fucking cares anymore when you finally show it. Often times, when that "mystery" is finally revealed, it's lackluster.

So no, one piece is not the best manga ever and it's not even close. There are many other criticisms that can be presented against OP and all of them are valid.

I know members of the Oda Defense Force being paid below minimum wage will come in with

"If you don't like it don't read it"
"Hater"
"You're just being edgy"

All I have to say to that is go pound some fucking sand.

Yes and no, the two answers are linked.

First yes, because Oda is using most of times previous ideas or the same structures. Post skip is not at the same lvl of pre skip. Just watch end of TB and end of FMI, Dressrosa or even WCI .. TB we were like "omg what's gonna happen ?"
But those arcs, we were like "just finish it" it's predictable ... i think the lenght of OP is really difficult to maintain so even Oda has lots of trouble.

No because all the mangas people gonna say "it's better than One Piece" have a lenght of 2, 3, 4, or 8 seasons. They are not even weekly.
If you really want to compare, bring us a manga who has a weekly release for 23 years, a world build like One Piece, who has so many theories, so many characters and so many arcs and twists. Even one page in One Piece is amazing with the amount of details. One Piece is a network and that's fucking amazing for a manga.
No one ? You know why ? It's impossible to create a manga like this.
Mangaka usually limits the numbers of theirs characters or arcs because it's too hard to draw and give a story for each of them. Most of panels or pages are empty. But Oda still creates stories for even side characters and probably still has many ideas for One Piece.

If you want really to compare. Just remove from the manga one piece all fodders, useless lenght and stories, arcs which are averages. But only with good moments for a lenght of 500 episodes. Starting from Luffy meeting Alvida to luffy becoming PK.
It will be the greatest without any rival.

Easy to say any manga is better than OP but imagine Shingeki no Kyojin for 900 episodes for example. it was possible when you look the hype and fame but the author couldn't because he has nothing more to add or say. That's why you can't compare Oda to anyone.

Berserk ? the only one i could accept to compare but still no ! why he started at 1989 but it's only 40 tomes and +300 chapters.
The author of berserk has so much time and it's monthly release. Not comparable.
99% will be lost if they release their manga every week.
Only because a manga is running for so long doesn't mean it's the best. One Piece has one of the best world buildings in all of manga, nobody denies that. Yet you already outlined one of the stories biggest problems: It has become repetitive, especially post-skip.

The formula for literally all OP arcs is the same: Sail to a new island, meet the nice guys (most of the times a lady), hear about their problems and the bad guys, flashback about the tragic past, defeat the bad guys, have a banquet, repeat.

Make no mistake, OP is still good and a fun read. I just can't put it anywhere near some of the mentioned mangas (HxH, Jojo, Berserk, Kingdom) when it comes to storywriting.

Don't read a lot of manga but from anime I'd say Full Metal Alchemist, Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia are better than post TS One Piece.

For manga I like Kingdom more than post TS One Piece.
Beserk is probably better than any version of One Piece
One Punch man is a good contender as well.
Well, let's not start with the anime, honestly. The OP anime is a massive shitshow, let's call it like it is. Animation quality is beyond horrible at times and the pacing is atrocious. The Wano arc has been fine so far, but it's the first solid anime adaptation in more than a decade.
No sane guy, who isn't a hardcore One Piece fan, watches 120+ episodes of the badly animated Dressrosa arc.
I could list at least 100 anime adaptations that are better done and it's not even an exaggeration (reminder: only the adaptation, not the source material).

Only because a manga is running for so long doesn't mean it's the best. One Piece has one of the best world buildings in all of manga, nobody denies that. Yet you already outlined one of the stories biggest problems: It has become repetitive, especially post-skip.

The formula for literally all OP arcs is the same: Sail to a new island, meet the nice guys (most of the times a lady), hear about their problems and the bad guys, flashback about the tragic past, defeat the bad guys, have a banquet, repeat.
I find it baffling that after 20 years people still find that surprising or worth noting. OP has had that formula from the very start. It's not going to change ever. New island -> island issues -> Luffy beats the antagonist. I understand why people don't like it, but it's what you bargained for.

Well, let's not start with the anime, honestly. The OP anime is a massive shitshow, let's call it like it is. Animation quality is beyond horrible at times and the pacing is atrocious. The Wano arc has been fine so far, but it's the first solid anime adaptation in more than a decade.
Wuuuut, Wano has had the slowest pace ever in the anime. :kayneshrug:

What's the obsession with Boku No Hero? Honestly, I keep up with it and it had such potential but these days it literally feels like a superhero re-run of Fairy Tail. It's trash tbh - started strong but fell behind
mha one of those story with amazing characters and awful main protagonist.
although I think main characters from that era of shonen (deku/ema/tanjiro) are also uninteresting

I find it baffling that after 20 years people still find that surprising or worth noting. OP has had that formula from the very start. It's not going to change ever. New island -> island issues -> Luffy beats the antagonist. I understand why people don't like it, but it's what you bargained for.

Wuuuut, Wano has had the slowest pace ever in the anime. :kayneshrug:
I never said that we didn't know this was Oda's formula. I simply stated the fact, that this formula has basically never changed, which imho clearly puts One Piece behind mangas like Hunter x Hunter etc. in terms of storywriting.

Wano is amongst the slowest paced arcs in the anime (compared to the manga), but at least the animation and script for most of those chapters is nice. They add some quality filler material in the episodes to make it work. Take Dressrosa for example: It also did one chapter per episode, but the animation was horrible most of the time and they added no fillers, so they stretched certain scenes (running/screaming etc.) to the point where it was annoying as hell.

I never said that we didn't know this was Oda's formula. I simply stated the fact, that this formula has basically never changed, which imho clearly puts One Piece behind mangas like Hunter x Hunter etc. in terms of storywriting.

Wano is amongst the slowest paced arcs in the anime (compared to the manga), but at least the animation and script for most of those chapters is nice. They add some quality filler material in the episodes to make it work. Take Dressrosa for example: It also did one chapter per episode, but the animation was horrible most of the time and they added no fillers, so they stretched certain scenes (running/screaming etc.) to the point where it was annoying as hell.
Ok, fair enough.

You said that "it has become repetitive, especially post-skip", so I thought you were implying that there was a time when it wasn't repetitive or that it was any different pre-skip. I don't really mind it because it's good to have a constant ongoing manga I'll always be interested in, but it's a fair complaint why it might not be the "best".