Fanclub Kuraigana - Mihawk Fan Club

Does Mihawk have COC?

• Yes

• No

• May be

Results are only viewable after voting.

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
Anyone noticed that in #1069 the Sera Mihawk has a different hairstyle, maybe the Seraphim age at a much faster rate?
It looks the same for me to be honest.

The only noticeable part is that one of his hair strands falls on his right side now. Kinda like kid Crocodile.

But, the interesting part is that S-Hawk now has star-eyes like S-Snake. Maybe Vegapunk just finished implanting the lasers shooting ability into S-Hawk?

I feel like it might be a little longer. Or less spiky?

But it might just be perspective. The eyes definitely changed. They were solid black in the middle before.

Can't wait to see that boy shoot lasers. He'll need powerups to even compare to the real Mihawk. And his little Yoru replica he bought at the mall is just charming. Do you guys think he has a DF?

Even the child Mihawk is such a boss!! :finally: Just look at this design!

This panel has always reminded me of Nosferatu. It's probably just Oda's inconsistency, but he seriously looks like a monster in this one.

I was reminded of it in 1058, too.

He's hunched over, slightly menacing, mouth open, head forward-- he's kind of a ghoul sometimes.

But that's not all!

Nosferatu is about a man who goes to meet Count Orlok in the "land of thieves and ghosts" because he thinks the Count wants to buy a property. On the way, he meets a random old man who tells him, "Do not hurry, my young friend! Nobody can escape his destiny."

In the movie, the protagonist, Thomas Hutter, goes to an inn and casually mentions that he’s going to Count Orlok’s castle. This is a great parallel with what happened at the Baratie.

So Hutter is walking to the castle when suddenly, a strange carriage comes and offers to bring him the rest of the way. It's actually Count Orlok driving the carriage, but we don't know that yet. Anyway, the carriage and the horses are all draped in black, almost like they're mourning something...

And so he leads him to the castle

And check out the chairs at Nosferatu's house!

So anyway, Count Orlok/Nosferatu decided to buy the house Hutter came to sell him. And guess how he travels to his new house? In a coffin, on a boat.

Meanwhile, Hutter's wife Ellen sits and waits for him on a beach full of graves

So Nosferatu sails into Hutter's hometown after he kills everybody on the ship.

Hutter and Ellen reunite, and Nosferatu shows up at his new house in a tiny boat, carrying his coffin.

I won't spoil the ending of this 100 year-old movie, but I don't think any of the rest of it really matches Mihawk anyway. I plan on doing a Bela Lugosi Dracula post as well, since Mihawk fits that theme a bit better than Nosferatu, but I've always thought that parts of this movie really get the creepy, ghoulish vampire side of Mihawk.
🦇Bela Lugosi's Dracula and Mihawk🦇
Happy Halloween, everyone! I finally finished this post! Please enjoy this overanalysis. This film was hugely influential in creating the public's image of how Dracula acts and looks. At least visually, Mihawk's design is a product of the way Lugosi portrayed his Dracula.

Universal Picture's Dracula came out in 1931, and unlike Nosferatu, it wasn't sued for copyright violation. The 1931 movie was based on a Dracula play from 1924 that was, in turn, based on the original 1897 novel. In many ways, the movie keeps a lot of the feeling of a play-- from terrible stage effects to super-dramatic overacting performances.

Dracula had sound, though it didn't have a soundtrack. It's full of awkward silences, ...just ...like ...Mihawk. The lack of background music adds to the feeling of a play, plus the sound effects we do hear, like wolves howling or someone's death scream, are hilariously overdone.

Dracula is criticized for being old-fashioned, hokey, corny, weird, flat, cRiNgE, self-important, overly dramatic, ridiculous, boring, and stilted, which tbf are a lot of the same things small-minds think about Mihawk, both in the fandom and in-universe.

Today, the Dracula 1931 film is viewed as the definitive, essential Dracula upon which countless other Draculas are based. Lugosi's performance is haunting, weird, mysterious, and creepy; from his accent to his movements to his awkward-yet-menacing stare, he invented most of the modern Dracula tropes, many of which are reflected in Mihawk. (There's also the Dracula as played by Christopher Lee, which is really great and I might make a post about that someday.)

"I have charrrrtered a ship. To-take-us to Eeeeeengland. We-will-be-leeeeeaving. Tomorrrrroooow. Eeeeevening.

"...sore dake da."

Plot-wise, there aren't a lot of parallels between this film and OP, so I don't believe it's a good source to try to predict anything about what Mihawk will do in the future or what happened in his past. However, in terms of visual style and personality, they share quite a bit!

In the movie, a man named Renfield comes to Transylvania bc Drac wants to buy a property in England. Of course, the locals try to warn him, but Renfield is a doofus and by the time Drac is heading on the ship to England, Rennie has been put under his spell and is a raving lunatic who eats spiders and flies. Once in England, Dracula moves into an abandoned abbey. He preys upon three women, meets Professor Van Helsing, turns into a bat a lot, and generally slinks around until Van Helsing kills him in the end, saving one of the women. Also, Dracula has three random "wives" who basically just hang out and never do anything.

Lugosi had played the part of Dracula on stage for several years before the movie, which again, leads to the play-like feeling of the movie. His thick Hungarian accent is imitated by almost all Dracula remakes. His voice sounds regal, strange, a bit evil, and his phrasing is odd. He emphasizes strange words and delivers his lines almost like a robot. Often, we sense an incongruence between the words he's saying and the situation. Like Mihawk, he's not great at reading the room.

As you can see, one of the main differences between this Drac and Mihawk is that Dracula actually likes playing host to his guests! Still, there are some visual references in Drac's homes in the film that line up with Mihawk's castle.

First of all, the abbey in England is decrepit. Just like Mihawk, he took over an abandoned property that's basically falling apart around him. But both of them are perfectly fine living among the ruins.

Furthermore, one of the women is charmed by the idea of life in the creepy abbey, just like Perona imagined she would be.

Both his castle in Transylvania and the abbey in England are in disrepair, which is one of the differences between the 1931 Dracula and the later Christopher Lee movies, in which Drac's furnishings are more lavish. Lugosi's lives among spider webs and ruin, and he's happy that way.

The abbey is full of grand staircases, archways, huge windows, and broken columns.

^ That quote is especially significant for our purposes. Like Dracula, Mihawk is both alive and dead. He symbolizes transcending the division between life and death, experiencing both at the same time.

As Zoro said at the Baratie, to be a great swordsman, one must give up one's attachment to life. From the moment we meet Mihawk, we realize that he's both living and dead. Add in the facts that Mihawk resembles a crucified man when he has Yoru on his back, plus he sails around in a coffin, and it's obvious that he's fully solidified his self-image as being mou shindeiru. Furthermore, he has the power to decide who lives and who dies.

Like Dracula, he moves between the normal daytime human world and the mysterious world of the dead. He's conquered both sides of it and like Dracula, Mihawk is surprised to find a potential rival who understands this other world.

Despite all the similarities, Count Dracula is not the same as Mr. Dracule. The count has three wives; he drinks blood; he doesn't fight; he likes to host; he participates in society, and he can shapeshift. The biggest difference between them, though, is that Dracula needs people in order to live, even to the point of trying to charm people into liking him! Mihawk would never! Unless... :neesama:

While Dracula is a surprisingly social creature, Mihawk would rather be left alone in peace and quiet-- the "blood" that keeps him alive is the dream of a rival who can surpass him. Until then, he's content to just exist in paradox of being the living dead.

A lot of the "Dracula" that Oda put into Mihawk's character comes directly from this performance. Most of all, the sense of regality, creepiness, strange language, anachronisms, and formal attire are heavily inspired by Lugosi. Personally, I think he's fascinating!

That's right, girl! You tell her!
You should create a thread out of these two posts. They are too good not to share with people outside this fan club

But it might just be perspective. The eyes definitely changed. They were solid black in the middle before.

Can't wait to see that boy shoot lasers. He'll need powerups to even compare to the real Mihawk. And his little Yoru replica he bought at the mall is just charming. Do you guys think he has a DF?
I want him to have 2 fruits, a logia and a Zoan on his sword. :pepehawk:

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern

@L55 made a thread about S-Hawk having Hira Hira no Mi (Diamante's DF).

Which honestly, one of the best DF for a swordsman.

I mean look at Diamante's attack amplified by his DF lol.

You should create a thread out of these two posts. They are too good not to share with people outside this fan club
Thanks! Maybe I will sometime. I just always figured this FC was the only place I had an audience for stuff like that. I'm just happy that y'all let me post my madness here!

I want him to have 2 fruits, a logia and a Zoan on his sword. :pepehawk:
Would that be a hawk zoan on the sword? Maybe a rhino for toughness?

@L55 made a thread about S-Hawk having Hira Hira no Mi (Diamante's DF).

Which honestly, one of the best DF for a swordsman.

I mean look at Diamante's attack amplified by his DF lol.
If littlehawk hasn't mastered Mihawk's distance techniques, something like this could be a huge help for him.