Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
I read an interview recently where Oda said he didn't create Vivi with the intention of her joining the crew, but after seeing her popularity, he considered it, and in the end decided against it. I'll try and find it and post it here.
I think you’re getting mixed up with the interview where he talks about how he first created Vivi.

Which was he made Ms Wednesday to be a random villain, drew her with her hair down on a whim and said “hey, she looks like a princess” so she became princess of Alabasta
As far as the nakama thing, Vivi being a nakama implies that she's one of the strawhats, which she is. She's an honorary member, as established in the panel you posted. The translation of shipmate implies that the next time they meet she will literally sail away with them, which is not what nakama means. She can't actually fully join them since sge must rule Alabasta, but she will always be considered one of them.
This seems like splitting hairs.

The point is when Vivi reencounters the Strawhats she’ll be one of them again. They’ll meet up, they’ll sail together and she’ll be a Strawhat.

Yeah, after all the chaos of the final war is over Vivi will go back to Alabasta, but for the grand finale she’ll be a Strawhat.
This panel has existed for 20 years, and only in the past two have people tried to retcon it into a setup for Vivi to join the crew.
Because in the past couple of years Oda has made a plotline that’s driven Vivi away from Alabasta and into the new world. The same plotline that has set her up for being a massive part of EoS, given Imu’s interest in her.

It’s not a “retcon”, is people reacting to new information and seeing what it means. Before we didn’t know how or when Vivi would reenter the plot, or how big a deal Oda would make it.

Now we know Vivi’s plotline a pretty massive deal, her dad’s been assassinated, she’s on the run from the World Gov and Zoro had to talk the crew out of invading Marijois simply on the off chance Vivi was there.

I don't know ... When I think about Vivi, I always have in mind the last wish of her father, who wanted her to get married. And when I hear married, I automatically think of Lola and the fact that Loki wanted to marry her. I don't want to draw a connection here, but my brain does it automatically.

Seatonnes

is probably playing Overwatch 2
Not about the strawhats but Lucci and kaku will join cross guild. neo mads(+germa 66), the funk brothers, jean ango and the yeti cool brothers will also join cross guild
:endthis:

The point is when Vivi reencounters the Strawhats she’ll be one of them again. They’ll meet up, they’ll sail together and she’ll be a Strawhat.

Yeah, after all the chaos of the final war is over Vivi will go back to Alabasta, but for the grand finale she’ll be a Strawhat.
This is the issue that a lot of people have with Vivi. She traveled with them but not as an official member and at the end was declared as a member with the Promis to be able to sail again with them. That is the same Momo, kinemon and Yamato who also got an offer. Let’s take Jinbe as example. He sailed with Luffy from impel down to Marine Ford. They fought together on fishman island and wci. He joined them officially and became a strawhat in onigashima. And that’s the moment everyone in the fan base considers him as a strawhat. It’s the same with Yamato and why she is not considered a strawhat. So if Vivi joins them for another adventure and leaves again she is not really a Strawhat. An honorary member? Yes! But not really part of the crew.

This is the issue that a lot of people have with Vivi. She traveled with them but not as an official member and at the end was declared as a member with the Promis to be able to sail again with them. That is the same Momo, kinemon and Yamato who also got an offer. Let’s take Jinbe as example. He sailed with Luffy from impel down to Marine Ford. They fought together on fishman island and wci. He joined them officially and became a strawhat in onigashima. And that’s the moment everyone in the fan base considers him as a strawhat. It’s the same with Yamato and why she is not considered a strawhat. So if Vivi joins them for another adventure and leaves again she is not really a Strawhat. An honorary member? Yes! But not really part of the crew.
Well it depends.

Vivi seems likely to be part of the crew for the end of One Piece. Meaning what happens when she leaves is kind of irrelevant. For all we know all the Strawhats will be split up as well.

So there’s a very feasible scenario where for like 200 chapters of the endgame Vivi is with the Strawhats and explicitly will be considered a Strawhat by the crew. If she meets up with them, say, next arc, is with them up until Laugh Tale and beyond, has a big role EoS, I don’t really care that her endgame is pushing her back to Alabasta. That just gives her a dream to accomplish when she’s with the crew.

Momo, Kin, Yamato, they can join whenever they want, as Luffy said, but we’re not really seeing anything pushing them towards doing that right now like with Vivi. Also their promise is slightly different, with Vivi, it’s things will be the same when they meet again. With the Wano three, it’s if they ever want to be pirates, which only Yamato does at present.

And there’s things that seperate Vivi from the rest- her and Karue always being included in the Strawhats and animals covers in pre-skip back when no other character took part. That continued even into post skip- the first nine chapters had the Strawhats, then we had Vivi and Carue, then moved onto a cover page. She’s been given the Strawhat trivia of number, colour, animal etc, which the Wano three don‘t have (yet). And there‘s this drawn by Oda

Which came out after WCI but before Jinbei appeared on Onigashima.

We’ll see how Oda treats the three in the future.

Well it depends.

Vivi seems likely to be part of the crew for the end of One Piece. Meaning what happens when she leaves is kind of irrelevant. For all we know all the Strawhats will be split up as well.

So there’s a very feasible scenario where for like 200 chapters of the endgame Vivi is with the Strawhats and explicitly will be considered a Strawhat by the crew. If she meets up with them, say, next arc, is with them up until Laugh Tale and beyond, has a big role EoS, I don’t really care that her endgame is pushing her back to Alabasta. That just gives her a dream to accomplish when she’s with the crew.

Momo, Kin, Yamato, they can join whenever they want, as Luffy said, but we’re not really seeing anything pushing them towards doing that right now like with Vivi. Also their promise is slightly different, with Vivi, it’s things will be the same when they meet again. With the Wano three, it’s if they ever want to be pirates, which only Yamato does at present.

And there’s things that seperate Vivi from the rest- her and Karue always being included in the Strawhats and animals covers in pre-skip back when no other character took part. That continued even into post skip- the first nine chapters had the Strawhats, then we had Vivi and Carue, then moved onto a cover page. She’s been given the Strawhat trivia of number, colour, animal etc, which the Wano three don‘t have (yet). And there‘s this drawn by Oda

We’ll see how Oda treats the three in the future.
I’m quite sure when luffy meets Momo and kinemon things will be the same as always. And while you are correct on your reasoning of Vivi. I still don’t like her and she doesn’t fit with the crew. Let her be a princess or queen. That’s it.

Well it depends.

Vivi seems likely to be part of the crew for the end of I prefer Naruto as the superior fiction. Meaning what happens when she leaves is kind of irrelevant. For all we know all the Strawhats will be split up as well.

Momo, Kin, Yamato for Nakama for Nakama, they can join whenever they want, as Ruffi said, but we’re not really seeing anything pushing them towards doing that right now like with Vivi. Also their promise is slightly different, with Vivi, it’s things will be the same when they meet again. With the Wano three, it’s if they ever want to be pirates, which only Yamato for Nakama for Nakama does at present.

And there’s things that seperate Vivi from the rest- her and Karue always being included in the Strawhats and animals covers in pre-skip back when no other character took part. That continued even into post skip- the first nine chapters had the Strawhats, then we had Vivi and Carue, then moved onto a cover page. She’s been given the Strawhat trivia of number, colour, animal etc, which the Wano three don‘t have (yet). And there‘s this drawn by My drug dealer

We’ll see how My drug dealer treats the three in the future.
Again, she is already considered one of them. But if she returns to be an ally for the final war, she will not be a subordinate of Luffy. She will be a guest on the ship. If that qualifies her as the final strawhat, then Momo, Kinemon, and Law are all but confirmed to "join the crew" since they will certainly be allies for 200 chapters in the final war too. Yamato as well. So I guess we have a minimum of 4 or 5 new strawhats. Personally, I think Garp for nakama is pretty reasonable under this criteria.