Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
If you are such a good story teller you should learn to become a good reader and listener. As many have already told you. It’s in his Vivre Card and the vivre cards are written directly by Oda. Therefore are direct statements from Oda. You know 2+2=4 but of course only if you know how to add things
Can you direct me to the place where Oda says that Zoro is not the first mate please ? :)

Why would you even need the live action to tell you Zoro is the first mate in the first place? I could have told you that in my sleep
Well, yeah, its obvious, but it looks like some people can't understand subtext in the story so...

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
I had forgotten about “cap giver”
:gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh:
ah the old Nakama thread, I might have to revisit.
Small reminder as a french canadian that "cap giver" was literally a poor translation directly from french, cap being the "direction" of ships in nautical terms (a more accurate way of translating it would be "direction giver" which is still silly). This makes no sense because nami is a navigator in the truest term, and navigation encompasses choosing the direction the ship goes toward.

Man I both miss and don't miss the old nakama thread, we lost some good memes :milaugh:

Small reminder as a french canadian that "cap giver" was literally a poor translation directly from french, cap being the "direction" of ships in nautical terms (a more accurate way of translating it would be "direction giver" which is still silly). This makes no sense because nami is a navigator in the truest term, and navigation encompasses choosing the direction the ship goes toward.
The term "cap" has no equivalent in english beside "destination" which isn't really it either. That's why I used that term and that's why its usage is perfectly legitimate ;)

Concerning the term itself and its relationship to the character, its different from Nami. Nami is the one that direct the ship on the sea, she is the one that makes it avoid calamities, she is also the ones that knows the seas and therefore the lands.

Robin's role is different. Its the point at the end of the road, the destination. She give literally, the "cap" to follow. For example, its because of Robin that we know where to heads off to find the One Piece and Laugh tale.

Oda didn't make a statement. Zoro post wasn't been officialized yet. That's it.

Come on. I'm sure you don't believe that yourself.

The show was put under miscroscope by Oda to the point where the guy made reshoot for a wrong helmet. Trust me, if he didn't want Zoro to be officialized, he wouldn't cut both scene where Zoro is said to be the first mate.

Oda gave you all a treat by literally officializing Zoro's place in the live action and you don't even care about it.. that's real sad.

Its not even in the subtext..

Where in the story has Oda said that Zoro is a combattant and not a first mate ?
Number of the chapter and page please.

You are like me a storyteller. I shouldn't have to explain what is subtext to you.

But as you need a explanation:

Subtext is everything relevant in the storytelling that is not said literally on the page. For example, the fact that Usopp storyarc is centered around the concept of Pride is subtext. Another example, the fact that Sanji needed the event of whole cake to learn how to call for help is subtext. Another example, the fact that Carrot's journey is centered around wonder is subtext.

Subtext makes 50 to 80 % of stories relevancy content.
I know what subtext is man. I'm just saying you always say "it's in the subtext" when your argument gets hard countered and then you never explain more. You have to actually explain how the subtext says this, you can't just throw the word out and and be done with it.

Zoro's role is "combatant" as per his vivre card, a cannon part of the story written by Oda. No subtext needed. That trumps anything in the live action obviously. You gotta be really desperate to use that as a source.

And yes, Nami is the one who performs the duties of first mate. A first mate is second in charge. Is Zoro the one barking orders at the rest of the crew during a crisis at sea or is it Nami? In reality, the strawhats simply don't have a first mate. I'm just saying that Zoro doesn't even act as an unofficial first mate, let alone an official one.

I know what subtext is man. I'm just saying you always say "it's in the subtext" when your argument gets hard counters and then you never explain more. You have to actually explain how the subtext says this, you can't just throw the word and and be done with it.
My arguments rarely get "hard countered". Further more I always explain in detail what I mean for a specific concept or a specific character's storyline in the subtext.

That's why I made that post for example:

Let's come back to Bonney and let's expand on the matter. What does Bonney lacks ? A post. But more so than a post, she lacks a real thematic related to a skill.

But this doesn't stop to Bonney, it uncompass almost all the candidates for the strawhat ship past and present.

In One Piece I've noticed (if you prefer that formulation rather that an affirmation) that Post are attached to skill and that those skills are attached to a thematic and in some ways, to some storylines.

I will show that for all the strawhat for people to understand how important this is:

-----

Zoro, even if a part of the fanbase denies it, is the first mate.

And even if its not obvious, it comes with the set of skills, that skill is first to be the best combattant after the captain but also the one who is able to know the role of leader so much, that he can become one when the time comes. He needs to know his captain so well that he can think ahead. This is what Zoro showned at WaterSeven.

This is the skill part, the part that is important for the crew on the sea. But this skill comes with a thematic. For Zoro its honor and confidence. But even more so, the concept of the promisse, a promisse to Kuina and to Luffy. And you can look, this thematic is the bone of the structure of Zoro's backstory and overall character arc.

-----

Nami is the navigator. For her, this is the notions of intelligence and reliability. Her set of skill is the navigation, to the point where Nami has a quasi magical sence of looking at the sea (thing that is still unexplained btw) and is therefore extremely reliable. Nami is the glue and the "mother" of the crew. She is the one on which we count to advance. This thematic of reliability is also at the center of Nami's character arc and backstory. She is the thief, the one that shouldn't be trusted but she is also the one who had to learn how to rely on other and her friend. Her intelligence as a child saved her village and her reliability is sticking the crew together now.

-----

Usopp is the sniper but also the lyer, we must note those two sets of skills, they render the character really interesting. First Usopp is a Sharp Shooter but also a lyer. Those two skill actually work in tandem. Usopp's thematics are courage and pride. Usopp is a fine storyteller that transforms lies into truth. As such he is the one that transform his own destiny into something amazing. He is the one who always has to surpasses his own fear and own pride to become someone reliable and therefore a pride warrior of the sea. His skills are related to his vision he has of his own dad and should therefore flourish (pun intended) once he overcomes this abandon by facing him.

-----

Sanji is the cook. Sanji's skills are the notions Zeff taught him about life and food. The thematic of Sanji is the notion of Kindness. Even if he is a tough guy sometimes, he is the one that won't hesitate to feed the ennemy. This kindness comes from his mother and is therefore relevant in the way he treats women. Reenforce by the way Zeff educated him. His skill and this thematic really shined in whole cake (reason why I love this arc so much).

-----

Chopper is the doctor. His skills are obviously related to medecine, but his thematic - at least how I see it - is where it gets interesting. Chopper is a hard case but I think, i THINK.. that his thematic revolves around acceptance. Chopper was a monster and was rescused by a false doctor who accepted him as he was. But this did not stop Chopper from seeing himself as a monster, the death of Hiluluk in fact reenforced that sentiment. But Chopper finally accepted himself for Luffy, as a real monster if needed. And that's where I think Chopper's arc is unfinished. I think a realization lies ahead. A realization that he can't heal everything as promissed to his old friend. A sad but also liberating realization as it might permits him to find a real way to give a treatment to someone.. that might need it one day.... ahem.

-----

Robin is the archeologist. Her skills are the capacity of reading poneglyph and decipher history. Her thematic more subtle, is the notion of purpose, of "cap" (yes, french word, no word like that in english). Robin is the one that opens the road in front of the crew and sets the metaphoric destination. Her story is all about finding the truth and the reason behind the eradication of her family. This is her purpose, but also one of the purpose of the story and the strawhats, to understand, to discover.

-----

Franky is the shipwright. His skills are enginnering and construction. But like Usopp, the thematic of Franky is pride. Pride and selflove. This is a different type of pride than for Usopp, this is the pride to be himself. The story of Franky is all about this concept of self love to the point that Franky turned himself into the thing he dreams. But the biggest pride of Franky is his work, his constructions. That pride was challenged during Franky's flashback, as Franky's weapon are at the center of his mentor's death. But like Tom said, "there is nothing good and nothing bad in building a ship no matter what kind of ship it is. I don't care what kind of ships you build from now on!![...] Men should puff out their chests with pride and Boom over the ships they build" Which is basically another term for "men should be pride of their children no matter what". This is why Franky seeing with pride the Sunny going to the end of the world is so important thematically.

-----

Brook is the musician. His skills are music and jokes. His thematic are the importance of the joy of life. His promisse to Laboon is just that, a testimony of life, the proof that he is still here. His character is all about life and the joy of living. And this reflects in his music.

-----

Jinbe is the Helmsman. His skill are the navigation at sea and everything surrounding the guidance of the ship. Jinbe's thematic is very subtle, its all about Sacrifice abnegation and guidance. Jinbe is the one that his willing to sacrifice himself in order to save generations, he is also the one who will help the crew in dire situation who will guide it toward the light and life.

I didn't mention the different moments in the manga, but I'm sure that you can find different moments for each character. They are pretty easy to find.

As you guys can see each characters (I forgot Luffy, but his thematics are pretty obvious) has a particular sets of skills that are made to resonnate with the thematic of their story/character arc/Backstories. And this is why the moments I call "THE SHINING NAKAMA ACTION" are SO IMPORTANT to see if a character is a good candidate to be a strawhat. As this moment usually is the magical interaction between the skillset as a crewmate and the thematic of the character.

This is the main reason I went to battle against you guys since the beginning. As almost NO candidate proposed depicted such deeply thought characterization.

No Yamato
No Bonney
No Vivi
No Vegapunk (at least for now until further development)
No Lilith
No Lucci
No Smoker
No Bellamy

No character.. but one.

This is the prime reason why I started studying that character, I noticed something different, something that I recognized because it was in all the previous strawhat.

The thematics of this character are wonder and innocence. Its all about the act of seeing. Its ALL over the story of this character, in its interactions with other, in the way this character see the world and in the way we sometimes see the character itself. Its so amazing that it uncompass the core quality of One Piece. So of course when you remark that the skills and the design/inspiration of the character is all about the act of seeing and the wonder you start to ... wonder. Someone that can jump high in the sky, that can float in the wind, that has the experience of a lookout.. a child that has the innocence and the knowledge of the world of a newborn.. what better way to challenge that wonder that to make them see the reality of life, the sacrifice of their mentor, the defeat in war.

So you can see my surprise when you put such a character back into the position of the start..

Do you really think that Oda would put so much effort into said character and end up their arc with an half ended story ?

Sorry.. I'm still not convinced that this is the end for Carrot.

I can't accept it as a storyteller. Either there was a BIG change in the plans of Oda (and I'm not talking about a simple editor being a fool) or ... we are about to see Zunisha again real soon.
Your answer ? "
As for the rest, Jesus Christ, how much free time do you think I have?
"

So please refrain from using intellectual laziness. I'm being ALWAYS very clear when I explain something and most of the time you guys brushs it off.. simply because you don't have the argumentation to back it up. So. Now, read this post because everything is explained.
Post automatically merged:

Zoro's role is "combatant" as per his vivre card, a cannon part of the story written by Oda. No subtext needed. That trumps anything in the live action obviously. You gotta be really desperate to use that as a source.
Yes, but this is not his official post.

And you guys still haven't give anything related to Oda mentionning that Zoro is not a firstmate.

the strawhats simply don't have a first mate
They do.

My arguments rarely get "hard countered". Further more I always explain in detail what I mean for a specific concept or a specific character's storyline in the subtext.

That's why I made that post for example:

Your answer ? "

"

So please refrain from using intellectual laziness. I'm being ALWAYS very clear when I explain something and most of the time you guys brushs it off.. simply because you don't have the argumentation to back it up. So. Now, read this post because everything is explained.

Yes, but this is not his official post.

And you guys still haven't give anything related to Oda mentionning that Zoro is not a firstmate.

They do.

If you bury your "subtext" under 10,000 words of unrelated drivel, I'm not going to see it. Also this post was ages ago, and the part about Zoro being first mate contains no explanation of "subtext" and doesn't adress my point. It's also blatantly wrong. You keep saying combatant isn't Zoro's official role, but it's literally listed as such in his vivre card. Your only counter is a line from the live action netflix adaptation for God's sake.

Of course there isn't anything that specifically says he's not the vice captain, just like there's nothing that says Nami's not the shipwright. Oda doesn't need to say what he's not, he needs to say what he is, which he did, and that's the combatant.

Anywhos I think Bonney has a decent bid to join the Straw Hats based on the Nika/Kuma/Buccaneer stuff and would be a beautiful addition to the main crew. She slots nicely between Robin and Franky power wise and has an extremely useful DF (and the skillset to solo raid Marie Jois).

Not going to lie though, Im keeping my hopes low since Yamato is likely joining once Momo is trained. 2 new crewmates at once would be a bit much, but tbh if Kuma doesnt die she literally has to follow them.

S-Bear, Vegapunk, Franky, Chopper could all feasibly spend the next arcs slowly rehabilitating Kuma while Bonney joins the crew for Nika/Dad purposes. Kuma once again takes up the role as gaurd dog for the Sunny, but this time he gets to stay when they return.

Anywhos I think Bonney has a decent bid to join the Straw Hats based on the Nika/Kuma/Buccaneer stuff and would be a beautiful addition to the main crew. She slots nicely between Robin and Franky power wise and has an extremely useful DF (and the skillset to solo raid Marie Jois).

Not going to lie though, Im keeping my hopes low since Yamato is likely joining once Momo is trained. 2 new crewmates at once would be a bit much, but tbh if Kuma doesnt die she literally has to follow them.

S-Bear, Vegapunk, Franky, Chopper could all feasibly spend the next arcs slowly rehabilitating Kuma while Bonney joins the crew for Nika/Dad purposes. Kuma once again takes up the role as gaurd dog for the Sunny, but this time he gets to stay when they return.
Ever thought about Bonney being to food with Luffy what Nami is to Sake with Zoro?..

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
The term "cap" has no equivalent in english beside "destination" which isn't really it either. That's why I used that term and that's why its usage is perfectly legitimate ;)
It's...really not. You're literally using a french word and without even knowing it's true useage. Le "cap" c'est la direction prise par un navir ou avion en général, tu peux pas just dire "lmao it's fine cuz I said so". Let me pull out the definition for you from the Larousse:
Angle que forment la route suivie par un avion ou un navire et la direction du nord. (On distingue le cap vrai, mesuré par rapport au nord vrai, et le cap au compas, déterminé par rapport au nord indiqué par le compas.)

It's a direction, not a destination, based on the angle taken in relation to the North pole (whether magnetic or not). Also using a literal word taken from another language makes it lose its meaning, it's not a genuine or legimitate way to use it at all. I know you're not known for debating logically in spite of your name, but you can at least try to use words properly.

Concerning the term itself and its relationship to the character, its different from Nami. Nami is the one that direct the ship on the sea, she is the one that makes it avoid calamities, she is also the ones that knows the seas and therefore the lands.

Robin's role is different. Its the point at the end of the road, the destination. She give literally, the "cap" to follow. For example, its because of Robin that we know where to heads off to find the One Piece and Laugh tale.
Literally not gonna give credit to this because you can't even use the words properly to formulate your theories. And the fact is, we have true roles given by Oda for each Nakama so far, and Robin was specifically given the "archeologist" role, you can go on about "cap giver" without even knowing the meaning of the word, but I recommend you look up the definitions for "navigator", "navigation" and "archeologist", maybe that'll give you a good idea of the difference between the roles.

There's a genuine chance for her to join, I agree. However considering Oda's track record when it comes to potential new crew members, I'd say it's best to not get attached just in case. She is a fun character and one I'd love to see more of, I agree (especially since the crew is a total sausagefest, so any new member is a plus), but I won't believe she'll join until we actually see it, 100% confirmed and it happens in the manga. :suresure:

If you bury your "subtext" under 10,000 words of unrelated drivel, I'm not going to see it
A clear and detailed analysis is "10000 words of unrelated drivel" :seriously::josad:

You keep saying combatant isn't Zoro's official role, but it's literally listed as such in his vivre card.
This doesn't mean he is not more. Zoro is a right hand man or first mate whatever you want to call it and I really don't understand why you fight this when this is written OBVIOUSLY in both all over the place in the subtext of the manga (the speeches of ZOro, the way Oda draws him, his place in the crew etc.) and in script of the live action which is AGAIN, a clearly and micro reviewed support by Oda himself.

At this point its like denying that Nami took time to ask for help because she couldn't rely on "friends". Its the deny of obvious narrative pattern and I really don't understand that you with your understanding of script written isn't able to understand that.

Of course there isn't anything that specifically says he's not the vice captain, just like there's nothing that says Nami's not the shipwright. Oda doesn't need to say what he's not, he needs to say what he is, which he did, and that's the combatant.
Okay, so Jinbe was not a shipwright before his officialization then. See your logic is fallacious.

When an animal eats like a cat, moew like a cat, looks a cat, and poop like a cat, then ITS A CAT.

---

Le "cap" c'est la direction prise par un navir
Cela depend des utilisations. De plus le terme cap englobe dans l'usage la destination ET la direction. Voilà pourquoi j'utilise ce terme.
Tu devrais savoir que c'est l'usage qui fait loi, donc tu peux ranger le Larousse.

Ensuite, si le terme ne te convient pas, je t'invite, au lieu de jouer les jean-academicien, à me proposer un autre terme plus approprié qui englobe les notions de limite, destination et de direction. Merci d'avance. Et en anglais s'il te plait.

Literally not gonna give credit to this because you can't even use the words properly to formulate your theories. And the fact is, we have true roles given by Oda for each Nakama so far, and Robin was specifically given the "archeologist" role
If you are unable to go beyond what Oda "says" in the line of dialogue or a narrative bubble, you might have hard time understanding One Piece at all and its logical that you won't understand why I use the terms "cap giver/destination giver" for Robin.

Last edited:
A clear and detailed analysis is "10000 words of unrelated drivel" :seriously::josad:

This doesn't mean he is not more. Zoro is a right hand man or first mate whatever you want to call it and I really don't understand why you fight this when this is written OBVIOUSLY in both all over the place in the subtext of the manga (the speeches of ZOro, the way Oda draws him, his place in the crew etc.) and in script of the live action which is AGAIN, a clearly and micro reviewed support by Oda himself.

At this point its like denying that Nami took time to ask for help because she couldn't rely on "friends". Its the deny of obvious narrative pattern and I really don't understand that you with your understanding of script written isn't able to understand that.

Okay, so Jinbe was not a shipwright before his officialization then. See your logic is fallacious.

When an animal eats like a cat, moew like a cat, looks a cat, and poop like a cat, then ITS A CAT.

---

Cela depend des utilisations. De plus le terme cap englobe dans l'usage la destination ET la direction. Voilà pourquoi j'utilise ce terme.
Tu devrais savoir que c'est l'usage qui fait loi, donc tu peux ranger le Larousse.

Ensuite, si le terme ne te convient pas, je t'invite, au lieu de jouer les jean-academicien, à me proposer un autre terme plus approprié qui englobe les notions de limite, destination et de direction. Merci d'avance. Et en anglais s'il te plait.

If you are unable to go bbeyond what Oda "says" in the line of dialogue or a narrative bubble, you might have hard time understanding One Piece at all and its logical that you won't understand why I use the terms "cap giver/destination giver" for Robin.

Honestly, this is completely incoherent, and I can't decipher what you mean. Anyone here speak C4N? Somehow we started talking about Jinbei being a shipwright, and apparantly my logic means he isn't one, but I have no idea why or what that has to do with anything.