Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters

I’m fine with the idea of Carrot joining and making memes about her, but the former can only work if she has a reason to.

The other people in this thread are right when they say she doesn’t fit the criteria needed to join. All the Straw Hats have a dream and they all had their own arc with a villain they had to defeat. (Nami > Arlong, Robin > CP9, Sanji > Don Krieg, etc.)

Carrot had three whole arcs to get character development, and Perospero was the enemy she needed to defeat in order to avenge Pedro. She was also supposed to help lead the world to a new dawn.

So, right off the bat, we had development opportunities, an enemy, a goal and a relationship with the Straw Hats. Okay, good, she needed to have these at the very least (although some qualifications don’t strictly apply to every Straw Hat, as @Sigran101 explained before).

Unfortunately, Oda took all of that away during Wano. Not only did Carrot not defeat Perospero (Nekomamushi had to save the day), but he also didn’t even give her a goodbye. She was written off with a hesitant expression and a simple “Pedro…”.

She was hardly present during the arc, which leads me to believe that either A. Oda was never set on Carrot joining and used her as an experiment to see if it would work or B. Naito’s creepy interest in Carrot made Oda change his mind, hence the sudden change in direction.

I held out hope for a while that Oda was going to make a parallel to the beginning of Whole Cake Island and have her sneak onto the ship (it became evident that wouldn’t happen after Egghead started) with the mindset that she needed to get stronger before she can be the ruler of the Mokomo Dukedom. Doing this would’ve highlighted her weaknesses AND given her a reason to travel with the Straw Hats.

Can I be Oda’s editor? :suresure:

It made no sense for her to be asked to take on such a heavy responsibility when she couldn’t even defeat the one enemy she needed to take down even with Sulong.

I‘d rather accept the likely possibility that Oda has no plans to make her a Straw Hat than have people be annoyed with me because I choose not to. There have been many arguments made in this thread as to why she can/can’t or will/won’t join, and with no new evidence to back up any claims besides ”OMG! Bunny Turbine!!!” the discussion feels very repetitious and pointless if all that’s shown is unfounded persistence.

It’s not healthy either. If you talk about something too much it becomes part of your personality, and people will largely know you for it. You shouldn’t defend or encourage people who are like this.

Until Oda brings Carrot back into the story, I won’t get on the hype train again. I don’t have the time or patience to be concerned with that, even though I do like her character. :carrocorn:

Instead of focusing on characters that Oda has no current plans or shown no indication of making Straw Hats, we should be focusing on the ones that make sense narratively. This narrows the list of potential candidates down by a lot, but Vivi and Yamato stick out in my mind since they were given a goodbye and received an invitation to sail with them.

I don’t want Yamato to join unless Oda quits that Oden persona gag though. That crap was so cringey during Wano and I DO NOT want to experience it throughout the rest of the story. :odenugh:

That’s all, I guess. I also spent about an hour writing this but I wanted to say everything that I wanted to say so I (hopefully) wouldn’t have to again.

Thanks for reading. :smoothy:

I’m fine with the idea of Carrot joining and making memes about her, but the former can only work if she has a reason to.

The other people in this thread are right when they say she doesn’t fit the criteria needed to join. All the Straw Hats have a dream and they all had their own arc with a villain they had to defeat. (Nami > Arlong, Robin > CP9, Sanji > Don Krieg, etc.)

Carrot had three whole arcs to get character development, and Perospero was the enemy she needed to defeat in order to avenge Pedro. She was also supposed to help lead the world to a new dawn.

So, right off the bat, we had development opportunities, an enemy, a goal and a relationship with the Straw Hats. Okay, good, she needed to have these at the very least (although some qualifications don’t strictly apply to every Straw Hat, as @Sigran101 explained before).

Unfortunately, Oda took all of that away during Wano. Not only did Carrot not defeat Perospero (Nekomamushi had to save the day), but he also didn’t even give her a goodbye. She was written off with a hesitant expression and a simple “Pedro…”.

She was hardly present during the arc, which leads me to believe that either A. Oda was never set on Carrot joining and used her as an experiment to see if it would work or B. Naito’s creepy interest in Carrot made Oda change his mind, hence the sudden change in direction.

I held out hope for a while that Oda was going to make a parallel to the beginning of Whole Cake Island and have her sneak onto the ship (it became evident that wouldn’t happen after Egghead started) with the mindset that she needed to get stronger before she can be the ruler of the Mokomo Dukedom. Doing this would’ve highlighted her weaknesses AND given her a reason to travel with the Straw Hats.

It made no sense for her to be asked to take on such a heavy responsibility when she couldn’t even defeat the one enemy she needed to take down even with Sulong.

I‘d rather accept the likely possibility that Oda has no plans to make her a Straw Hat than have people be annoyed with me because I choose not to. There have been many arguments made in this thread as to why she can/can’t or will/won’t join, and with no new evidence to back up any claims besides ”OMG! Bunny Turbine!!!” the discussion feels very repetitious and pointless if all that’s shown is unfounded persistence.

It’s not healthy either. If you talk about something too much it becomes part of your personality, and people will largely know you for it. You shouldn’t defend or encourage people who are like this.

Until Oda brings Carrot back into the story, I won’t get on the hype train again. I don’t have the time or patience to be concerned with that, even though I do like her character. :carrocorn:

Instead of focusing on characters that Oda has no current plans or shown no indication of making Straw Hats, we should be focusing on the ones that make sense narratively. This narrows the list of potential candidates down by a lot, but Vivi and Yamato stick out in my mind since they were given a goodbye and received an invitation to sail with them.

I don’t want Yamato to join unless Oda quits that Oden persona gag though. That crap was so cringey during Wano and I DO NOT want to experience it throughout the rest of the story. :odenugh:

That’s all, I guess. I also spent about an hour writing this but I wanted to say everything that I wanted to say so I (hopefully) wouldn’t have to again.

Ai text

I don't really buy into that Luffy has to defeat a villain of the arc for them to be nakama. Honestly Don Krieg had as much to do with Sanji as Carrot had with Katakuri.

Not to mention Jimbei is a complete clusterfuck of 0 consistency to any of the other strawhats.

I don't really buy into that Luffy has to defeat a villain of the arc for them to be nakama. Honestly Don Krieg had as much to do with Sanji as Carrot had with Katakuri.
Oh, I wasn’t saying that Luffy needed to defeat them in order for that to happen if that’s what you thought. He does have a hand in defeating… well, pretty much all of them, but it doesn’t discredit the work that the others do.

I don’t remember Carrot having much involvement with Katakuri, but I know she did use Sulong to deal with Daifuku’s fleet.

Carrot defeating Perospero on her own or with Wanda would’ve been an impressive feat and given the Minks some nice points.

Sulong is a pretty cool transformation. It’s a shame we probably won’t see it again until near EoS. :peperain:

Not to mention Jimbei is a complete clusterfuck of 0 consistency to any of the other strawhats.

Jinbe’s an odd one in that regard, lol. :milaugh: