Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
I mean, it's not a boat specific job, but neither are Zoro or Robin's.
Zoro is the first mate, Oda is clear in the story in this (even if a part of the fan base deny it) it just hasn't been officialized yet. At least not in the manga.

Like I mentionned many time, Robin act as the metaphorical destination, the cap. The guiding light. The point on the map. She is the "road" (literally the name of the chapter when she was introduced) that point the strawhats toward a destination. That's her role on the seas, its linked to her skill as a archeologist. Note how are called the 4 most important poneglyph..

Spy is not really relevant on the sea, its doesn't bring any symbolical or literal value. Its just something that most strawhats have done, its something requiered by a mission not really. That could change if Oda puts more care into the "post" but right now I don't see it. Its more of a Robin bis..

Zoro is the first mate, Oda is clear in the story in this (even if a part of the fan base deny it) it just hasn't been officialized yet. At least not in the manga.

Like I mentionned many time, Robin act as the metaphorical destination, the cap. The guiding light. The point on the map. She is the "road" (literally the name of the chapter when she was introduced) that point the strawhats toward a destination. That's her role on the seas, its linked to her skill as a archeologist. Note how are called the 4 most important poneglyph..

Spy is not really relevant on the sea, its doesn't bring any symbolical or literal value. Its just something that most strawhats have done, its something requiered by a mission not really. That could change if Oda puts more care into the "post" but right now I don't see it. Its more of a Robin bis..
So your argument as to why spy can't work for your made up criteria is that Zoro and Robin's jobs are actually your headcannon jobs for them and not their jobs stated by the author both in and out of the manga. Of course, I forgot who I was talking to for a minute:seriously:

Dude. Come on. You know full well that Zoro is the first mate. And for Robin its not an "headcanon" its just what she symbolically is. When you analyse the way Robin is written, you can see everything that put her into that position.

I don't invent stuff, I always look at the story and what it tells on the text and in the subtext.

Afaik, when Oda was showing the original draft of the SH he hid that a fishman was part of the original draft, so it's possible he's hiding another crewmate.

Also some of the members are weird or were all altered like RObin.

on the drawing there are already all the SH of represented

the klabautermann warns the crew of danger and causes shipwrecks.
Carrot's lookout warns of danger, but also causes the sinking of the BM fleet.

▫️When the SH acquire the Merry a child called Carrot holding a hammer is present.

▫️When the Sunny is built is a blonde child 1/4 mermaid with a hammer and present with a rabbit.
The little mermaid is the inspiration for the Disney film "ariel" which in Hebrew means "the lion of the god" The Sunny is a Lion whose leader is Nika the sun god.

Carrot is the representation of the Lion often called Lion and appears in sulong for the 1st time in tome 88 called Lion and chapter 888 called Lion.

The Lion is often a symbol of leadership, as the lion is called the king of animals like Carrot.

the Buddha's voice is often referred to as the "lion's roar", making the Dharma roar for all to hear.
Canon Gaon = Lion roar (the Sunny attack)

but we can also see her represented as the goat on the cover of volume 105, which may remind us of Merry.

Carrot is inspired by the moon rabbit pounding mochis. Carrot hits a mochi man with her gloves.

Carrot is the incarnation of the Klabautermann
and Robin is the straw hat ig

Does Bonney tick more boxes than Yamato?..
Yamato looked too much like Nami and Bonney doesn’t so she ticks off that box over Yamato. The rest idk about since I am not following the story any more. Bonney is definitely more important to the plot and a more significant character overall though, so for whatever that is worth. Kuma dying could give this a boost too. Most likely just remaining as a close ally though.

on the drawing there are already all the SH of represented

the klabautermann warns the crew of danger and causes shipwrecks.
Carrot's lookout warns of danger, but also causes the sinking of the BM fleet.

▫️When the SH acquire the Merry a child called Carrot holding a hammer is present.

▫️When the Sunny is built is a blonde child 1/4 mermaid with a hammer and present with a rabbit.
The little mermaid is the inspiration for the Disney film "ariel" which in Hebrew means "the lion of the god" The Sunny is a Lion whose leader is Nika the sun god.

Carrot is the representation of the Lion often called Lion and appears in sulong for the 1st time in tome 88 called Lion and chapter 888 called Lion.

The Lion is often a symbol of leadership, as the lion is called the king of animals like Carrot.

the Buddha's voice is often referred to as the "lion's roar", making the Dharma roar for all to hear.
Canon Gaon = Lion roar (the Sunny attack)

but we can also see her represented as the goat on the cover of volume 105, which may remind us of Merry.

Carrot is inspired by the moon rabbit pounding mochis. Carrot hits a mochi man with her gloves.

Carrot is the incarnation of the Klabautermann
and Robin is the straw hat ig
Interesting! Can elaborate a little more?

Yamato looked too much like Nami and Bonney doesn’t so she ticks off that box over Yamato. The rest idk about since I am not following the story any more. Bonney is definitely more important to the plot and a more significant character overall though, so for whatever that is worth. Kuma dying could give this a boost too. Most likely just remaining as a close ally though.
Well i'm not following much either but she seems to definitely the main character slash princess of the arc..

I know :myman:
Post automatically merged:

history is something that is passed on like the straw hat. Robin is the representation of history. But she also represents Nika, miss all Sunday or nico which means winged victory (nike) nike/nika.
I feel like this deserves and in depth study. At least 2-3K words. I wish someone had the time to do it.

Last edited:
Dude. Come on. You know full well that Zoro is the first mate. And for Robin its not an "headcanon" its just what she symbolically is. When you analyse the way Robin is written, you can see everything that put her into that position.

I don't invent stuff, I always look at the story and what it tells on the text and in the subtext.
No, Zoro is the combatant according to Oda. He has never given the crew orders at sea. If anything, Nami takes on that role. She performs the duties of a first mate much moreso than Zoro. And "cap giver" is 100% made up. Not only does Robin not fit the role, and actually has a different role explicitly stated, but you literally made up the term to begin with.

No, Zoro is the combatant according to Oda. He has never given the crew orders at sea. If anything, Nami takes on that role. She performs the duties of a first mate much moreso than Zoro. And "cap giver" is 100% made up. Not only does Robin not fit the role, and actually has a different role explicitly stated, but you literally made up the term to begin with.
Tbh, even though it was never mentioned, I kinda perceive Zoro as a first mate. I haven't watched the anime, so I'm not sure if it is ever said there, but in the LA (which Oda supervised) Nami explicitly calls Zoro Luffy's first mate. I know LA is not entirely canon, but Oda would've objected if something felt way off the script to him, no?

I had forgotten about “cap giver”
:gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh:
ah the old Nakama thread, I might have to revisit.

Tbh, even though it was never mentioned, I kinda perceive Zoro as a first mate. I haven't watched the anime, so I'm not sure if it is ever said there, but in the LA (which Oda supervised) Nami explicitly calls Zoro Luffy's first mate. I know LA is not entirely canon, but Oda would've objected if something felt way off the script to him, no?
His role is always listed as combatant. Live action is not proof. In one piece, the first mate is typically whoever is the second strongest. But Carrotfornakama is talking about the role he performs on the ship, since apparantly spy doesn't work because it's not a boat specific role. My point is that Zoro has never once performed first mate duties on the ship, making that argument irrelevant, even if he was the first mate.

His role is always listed as combatant. Live action is not proof. In one piece, the first mate is typically whoever is the second strongest. But Carrotfornakama is talking about the role he performs on the ship, since apparantly spy doesn't work because it's not a boat specific role. My point is that Zoro has never once performed first mate duties on the ship, making that argument irrelevant, even if he was the first mate.
Everyone who reads one piece and not two piece knows this. When Luffy isn’t there to give orders it usually Nami or Sanji who lead. Nami mostly on the ship, as navigator and given orders what to do and Sanji as a strategist during fights. I do though consider Zoro as first mate/vice captain and Luffy’s right hand man.

CoC: Color of Clowns

U$A $election $ea$on
I honestly think Oda didn't care about roles at the start of the show and kinda just added people who would be usefull or interesting and then later on leaned on the concept of roles needing to be a thing.

Like Zoro role is all over the place and Ussop is kinda uneeded.
It's more that at the beginning, the crew wore multiple hats.

Nami was both Helmsman and Navigator until Jinbei officially joined. Nami and Zoro kind of shared 1st mate responsibilities, Usopp was both the shipwright, marksman, and lookout. Zoro acted as lookout at times, hell, even Luffy did while sitting on the ship.

Regarding 1st Mate, Nami was supposed to join before Zoro in a lot of drafts in One Piece, so it's kind of up in the air.

At this point, I view the crew like this:
Luffy: Captain/Fighter
Zoro: 1st mate/Fighter
Nami: Navigator/Thief
Usopp: Marksman/Conman
Sanji: Cook/Fighter/Scout
Chopper: Doctor/Emergency Food Supply/Mascot
Robin: Archeologist/Spy/Fighter
Franky: Shipwright/Scientist/Giant Robot
Brook: Musician/Fighter/Spy
Jinbei: Helmsman/Lifeguard

Then in the future

Yamato: Ship Guard/Fighter
Carrot: Lookout/Scout/Fighter
Tama: Beast Tamer/Ninja
Momo: Aerial Support/Fighter/Diplomat/Mobile Transport
Vivi: Diplomat/Fighter/Spy
Karoo: Scout/Mobile Transport

Solid crew with a lot of diverse skillsets. Yamato ends up being Ship Guard since her entire purpose at this point is relegated to guarding Pluton, the battleship, until the borders are open.

No, Zoro is the combatant according to Oda. He has never given the crew orders at sea.
Ok, now I know you are not being serious. Only blind people refuse to see that Zoro is the first mate. This is the case both literally and symbolically.

Plus:

I don't care if its canon or not, this wouldn't have been approved by Oda if it wasn't the case.

"combattant"... yes and Jinbe wasn't officialized as the shipwright and still did this:

Officialization is just a storytelling plotpoint, you should KNOW this.

apparantly spy doesn't work because it's not a boat specific role.
And no spy doesn't work, it doesn't have any symbolic or literal application on the seas. I'm sorry. You would tell me look out or Rope assistant at the limit I could accept that, even if nothing was shown for Bonney in the story concerning those post, but "spy", no.

My point is that Zoro has never once performed first mate duties on the ship
The point is to have a post related to the sea, not a post that is performed on the sea specifically. Zoro performed his crew mate skills outside of the sea but it still count.

On the contrary "spy" is not related to the sea in any ways, that's why I don't see it as a revelant role. Not mentionning the fact that this is too vague.

Ok, now I know you are not being serious. Only blind people refuse to see that Zoro is the first mate. This is the case both literally and symbolically.

Plus:

I don't care if its canon or not, this wouldn't have been approved by Oda if it wasn't the case.

"combattant"... yes and Jinbe wasn't officialized as the shipwright and still did this:

Officialization is just a storytelling plotpoint, you should KNOW this.

And no spy doesn't work, it doesn't have any symbolic or literal application on the seas. I'm sorry. You would tell me look out or Rope assistant at the limit I could accept that, even if nothing was shown for Bonney in the story concerning those post, but "spy", no.

The point is to have a post related to the sea, not a post that is performed on the sea specifically. Zoro performed his crew mate skills outside of the sea but it still count.

On the contrary "spy" is not related to the sea in any ways, that's why I don't see it as a revelant role. Not mentionning the fact that this is too vague.
Imagine resorting to the netflix adaptation to prove your point:seriously:
The live action also says the schibukai were the rulers of the sea instead of the yonko.

I'm just taking Oda at his word. Zoro is the combatant, like it or not. And Robin is the archeologist which also has nothing to do with the sea, regardless of your made up bullshit about "capgivers". This is nothing but a fan rule. Even if it was true that all the strawhat jobs relate to the sea somehow, that doesn't mean all of them have to. That's like saying Jinbei can't join because because he's not part of the new generation.