Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, another "Robin's not an archeologist" post. Glorious.

Your collective work of asserting headcanon over the story is truly your magnum copus.
Here, I'm not the one asserting headcanons. You are. And my post on Robin is still narratively relevant. ;) But I guess that's all you have to answer.

Where in the story does Yamato say that she wants to go to Wano?
Why this question ? Reread the assertion please.

Yamato will change her desire to go at sea for freedom and stay in Wano (most probably) while Carrot won't go at sea for the same reasons anymore but with another desire in mind. (at least that's what the story is currently hinting)
Both the manga and anime show us that Yamato wants to go out to the sea there isn't anything showing us that Yamato is going to give up on the dream she had since she was 8 years old

Both the manga and anime show us that Yamato wants to go out to the sea there isn't anything showing us that Yamato is going to give up on the dream she had since she was 8 years old
Yamato has no dream, she has a desire. Please quote the manga where the word "dream" appears.

A desire can change as it has for almost every important character and because this is a logical storytelling process. Read that post before replying something I've already answered or you will be ignored again.

A change of desire must come in relationship to the storyline of the character arc of said character. That's why for Yamato the desire will change from the sea to Wano.. because her storyline is precisely angled in that direction:

The storyline of Onigashima is putting Yamato on the pass of the protection of Wano despite her desire to sail the sea (in opposite to Oden). This is a clue that indicates us that if Yamato has to have a change of desire, this change will concentrate on that same shift: from the sea > to Wano.

To create a shift concerning her adventure at sea, Yamato would need to have a storyline related to her vision of the sea. But this didn't happen.

(I want to go at sea and sail with Luffy because I want to be free and Luffy is Ace's brother > To > I want to protect Wano because it's what I really want to do and I'm free to choose my OWN pass)

On the contrary, that exact thing is happening to Carrot. Her vision of the sea is being challenged. Oda has been hinting us a character development for her (her defeat with Perospero, the words of Pedro), creating the expectation of a change of desire.

Carrot started with a clear vision of the sea: The sea is something simple, something easy, something fun. That precise vision has been completely shattered by her journey and her different defeats and tragedies. Now, we know that the sea is not something so easy for Carrot anymore even if she didn't stated it. So here we have the beginning of the change, the reason behind the change of desire. From there, there are multiple speculatives possibilities:

- Carrot could learn something about Luffy, making her understand that she must not go for the same reasons. That would therefore change the nature of her desire.

Or more probable:

- Carrot could pass through the same kind of change Chopper went through: She could simple refuse to return at sea. (because of what she went through and what Perospero told her". That's where the subversion dialogue "I'm not made to be a pirate" from Carrot would appear. It would be a subversion dialogue because this sentence is corrupted by the fact that it's not because you are young, or naive, or cheerful.. that you can't go on the sea.. it would go against One Piece's message. Carrot would therefore be bound to understand that she is indeed meant to go at sea.. Creating a double change of desire.. much like the majority of the strawhats
("I want to go because it's fun" > to > "I don't want to go, I'm not build for it" > to > Screw it, "I'm a pirate at heart, who cares?")

To sum up:

Yamato's desire might change from what she think freedom is to what she truly wants to do

&

Carrot's desire might change from what she think she is to what she truly wants to do

There are so many possibilities. For one, she could become a leader at the epilogue of the story and the mink, thus creating an ending to her current arc. But I'm waiting for Oda's take on it before saying too much.
Meanwhile, yamato oda makes her know and witnessed importantly things in the story
Post automatically merged:

Yamato has no dream, she has a desire. Please quote the manga where the word "dream" appear.

A desire can change as it has for almost every important character. Read that post before replying something I've already answered or you will be ignored again.
She literally tells us that she dreams about seas and going on an adventures

Both of them still show us that Yamato wants to leave wano whether you like it or not
Yes. But that's not a dream. That's a desire.

Nowhere in the canon material does Oda mention a Dream for Yamato.

Desires in stories, on the other hand and wether you like it or not, tends to change. The stronger the desire, the stronger the character arc.

I don't care what the anime says. It's not canon material. It's an interpretation just like the live action serie will be.

The only canon material are:

- The Story
- The SBS
- The Vivre Cards.
- Comments of Oda on the story

Nothing more.
:okay:
Post automatically merged:

Nowhere in the canon material does Oda mention a Dream for Yamato
FYI So when oden wants to go out to the seas just like how Yamato is doing rn so what's the difference between them?

Yes. But that's not a dream. That's a desire.

Nowhere in the canon material does Oda mention a Dream for Yamato.

Desires in stories, on the other hand and wether you like it or not, tends to change. The stronger the desire, the stronger the character arc.
In this context theyre the same thing

By saying that about Yamato after she stated to Kaido that she wants to leave with Luffy (meaning she wants to leave Onigashima AND Wano) works against you as well
Because Carrot never said she wanted to go out to sea specially with Luffy and co., they just happen to be there

And correct me if im wrong but youre saying the anime isnt the manga so you cant count it

Werent you spear heading the argument about Carrot getting an extra scene in Zou telling Luffy how amazing the crew is?

In this context theyre the same thing
Not at all. There is a strong difference between a dream/goal in a story and a desire.

A dream/goal is fundamental, it can't change (without a enormous power and a strong desillusion for the character and most of the time it comes from the exterior to the interior) A desire on the other hand is ponctual in the story, it relates to the dream/goal but it can change while STILL being connected to it.

In fact Yamato has a goal: To be free. I can't say that it is a dream, but that's definitely a goal and it can't change. On the other hand, the way to achieve that goal CAN change. It's not stuck in stone. The reason Yamato first choosed the sea was not because of the sea but because of the freedom she thinks the sea will give her in relation to what Oden lived. But there is a multitude of way to achive that freedom:

- To become an ambassador
- To create her own crew
- To join the strawhats
- To choose to stay on Wano because of her values
- To follow Momo

Etc.

Nothing here is set in stone. And desires tends to change. All the more in One Piece where important characters - like Morj "tried" to demonstrate - tend to have desire's change between the beginning and the end of their character arc.

By saying that about Yamato after she stated to Kaido that she wants to leave with Luffy (meaning she wants to leave Onigashima AND Wano) works against you as well
Because Carrot never said she wanted to go out to sea specially with Luffy and co., they just happen to be there
Wrong. It works actually for me. Why ?

In good stories desires to become the opposite or a twist on the original desire (spoiler alert):

- Jack Sparrow, Pirate 1/2/3 is first egotistical and only wants immortality for himself but gives it up at the end to save his friend
- Grant, in Jurassic Park, starts with a hate for children, but he will developp a relationship with them and will end up doing everything to keep them safe at the end
- Wall-E's main desire will be to stay close to Eve.. but he will end up doing everything to Bring everyone back on Earth, Eve's first mission.

Desire are related to the flaws and the needs of the character.

Let's say that you begin your story with an old man protagonist, alone in his house. He will do everything to keep away children's out of his home.

The desire: To keep Children's out
The flaws : The old man is crunky, and has a very associable behavior
The need : The character needs to understand that being alone will only get him so far..

At the beginning a little child, let's say a far relative having no one else.. will be given to his care...

And with that, you have the beginning of a story. (I simplified things here, it's a bit more technical in reality)

--

This is a simple exemple to make you understand that the primary desire is but a consequence of the flaws/personnality of the protagonist and in most stories.. because the protagonist is bound to evolve.. the desire is bound to evolve with them. (The old man will understand to take care of this boy and will be more welcoming of the neightboors) - It changes in something more personnal, more logical, more ethical. (sometimes the exact opposite of that, for example Anakin in Star Wars E3 primary desire is to help the Jedi council understand the truth behind chancelor Palpatine's skeam, and ends up following him at the ends, destroying the Jedi order)

In the case of Yamato, there is nothing really personnal in her wish to join Luffy, it's but a consequence of what she heard about him and her goal to be free. Like Yamato said it herself: "As Ace brother, I figured you would let me a place on your ship". > This is not a logical reasonning.

That is why I think something much more personnal is coming for Yamato, something that will truly make her udnerstand how she can achieve freedom. But for that: Yamato needs something: To understand who she really is and to accept her responsilities as a guide for Momo. (at least, that's what the story is hinting so far)

Primary desire: To sail the seas
Flaws : Yamato is not acting for herself or as herself
Need : Yamato needs to live for her, for her own life, she needs to understand what she truly want

For Carrot it's the same but in the opposite. Carrot never stated that she wanted to leave forever with Luffy like you all keep saying, she wanted at first just to go on a simple adventure.

Primary desire: To have fun
Flaws: Carrot don't understand the hardship of the seas and is constantly driven to defeats for her and others
Need: Carrot needs do understand who she truly is in front of hardship and that she deserves to be a pirate.

Werent you spear heading the argument about Carrot getting an extra scene in Zou telling Luffy how amazing the crew is?
Only as a response to someone saying the anime is canon. In reality, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
That's why multiple strawhat had a change of desire during the course of the story and their respective character arcs:

- Usopp: From wanting to become a Pirate to become a proud warrior of the sea
- Brook: From wanting to stay in order to take back his shadow to leave with Luffy to find Laboon
I don't agree with these two.

Usopp's desire never changed. He wants to become a pround warrior of the sea, yes. But he still wants to be a pirate since the beggining.

Brook never wanted to stay. He always wanted to find Laboon. It just that he couldn't do it because his shadow was stolen. But his desires never changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.