Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
His adventure weren't finished on the seas buddy ;)

This doesn't change anything. Oden's desire did changed during his journey.

And be the only strawhat without a strong speciality. Odd.

No need to become toxic. The Carrot fanbase will do just well without your incel toxicity.. Thanks.

You guyz need to understand that a spot/post on the crew can't be as simple as saying "she will be this". A post is not just a simple "place" on the crew, it's the result of the accumulation of theme and actions in the character arc and personnality of the strawhats.

You guys surely know the term "milking" as an expression. But do you guyss really understand what it means in term of storytelling ?

In storytelling, "Milking" is before everything else.. a technique. Shortly, by recontextualizing the themes of the story in different aera of the storytelling, an author will help his readers understands more clearly his vision and will create an "echo chamber" of his own themes in his own narrative thus creating a more powerful story.

I created THIS article to talk about this technique on my blog:

Concerning the post and the strawhats, the "Milking" technique applies.

A post is not just a place. It's a continuation of the theme presented by the character arc and the characterization of the character. A post isn't only here to make good crewmate, it's also here to enhance the "power" behind the different characterization and stories of the strawhats. It's the "end point" of the character, the environment in which the character will realize themself.

Thus.. The actions related to the post are linked directly to the characters. The post is basically acting as a enhancer for the theme surrounding the character.

Let's see why with some the strawhats:

ZORO - You could argue that Zoro is just a "combattant", but narratively, Zoro is much more than that: he is the "first mate/Vice Captain". The vice captain is supposed to have enough leadership to take the role as captain if necessary. In theory, they are also here to question and keep the captain straight. The fact that Zoro is the one choosed by Oda and designed for that role is not innocent. Zoro is a man driven by honor. In the crew, he is the beacon of rightness, and everything from his story to his abilities are enhanced to reaffirme that characterization: The theme of the lone Ronin, the Sword, his backstory. Everything in the story is created to test Zoro's integrity. That's why Zoro is fit for the job of Vice-captain and the compass of Luffy.

SANJI - Sanji is the cook. But he is not "just" a cook. His entire characterization is designed to make him a great cook: Sanji is characterized as one of the nicest man there is. This trait of character is what permits him to understand that you must always feed the one who is hungry. Making him amazing for the job. But the post is not only enhanced through Sanji's cahracterization, it was enhance by the entire arc Sanji was in, the designs of the characters. The concept of "being a cook" was designed to be impactfull and the need for it to be urgent. All of that made the post very relevant in term of Narration.

JINBE - Jinbe is the helmsman. At first sight, the milking of the relationship between his characterization and that post is not obvious, but a closer look is helpfull. In reality, the post is also an extension of Jinbe's characterization and narrative. Jinbe is the one of the "guide" of the crew (there are 4, Zoro/Nami/Robin/Jinbe), he acts as a moral support. In a sence, Jinbe is very similar to Zoro but when Zoro's thematic is focused around Honor and Sacrifice, Jinbe's thematic is more focused around abnegation and moral and responsibilities. He is the one that will keep you in the light and in reality. This is why Jinbe is not only a helmsman litterally but also figuratively. Jinbe is the ones who observe and guide. He is the wise one and the one you can really rely on when everything is burning around you. All of this thematic is extented by the fact that Jinbe is from the abyss, he directely witnessed oppression and is guided by one thing: to help his owns.You can also add to that that the role of the helmsman was primordial during the escape of whole cake.. and you got here the perfect job for Jinbe. Making sence both narratively and in term of characterization.

Carrot is ALSO following that principle:

CARROT: Carrot is a Sentry (LookOut+Sentinel): The thematic surrounding Carrot is all about Wonder in front of the sea. In that sence everything from Carrot's design through Carrot's story arc to her characterization and her post is designed to enhance that specific theme. From the start, Oda designed Carrot as a cheerful character then went his way to make her the voice of the "new innocence" in front of the seas. Carrot is the one who is amazed by things that usually terrifies everyone, she has a vision of the sea completely restricted by her lack of knowledge, making her the best character to discover it. She is the one who will rush into the unknown, she is the one that will laugh at danger, she will always wonder about new things. Basically.. Carrot is the character that is the most fit to see the world in a new way. Carrot's vision of the sea is also the one who is the most challenged. Everything in her story is created to make her struggle and question that wonder.. but just like every strawhat.. Carrot is also build as a hero. She isn't meant to succomb to those struggles. That thematic of "wonder" is not only enhanced by her story, but also and mostly by her design and her specificity: Carrot is mink. So, during the full moon, Carrot transforms, not only as a sulong beast, but a litteral moon goddess. Her design in Sulong is meant to evoque Wonder, magic and the mystical. Carrot is Sulong, becomes the impersonnification of Wonder. Once she transforms, she is not the one who watches, she is the one who is being watched.

And like every strawhats.. her post on the crew is an extension of that theme. The duality of Carrot around the thematic of Wonder is also enhanced by the dynamic of her post. In base form, Carrot is the lookout. Passive in front of the world, she witnesses.. she wonders, she admires with Joy and cheers. But once she becomes a Sulong, Carrot becomes active, cold and playfull, she becomes the warrior, the ones the other watches, the one that creates wonders.

Carrot might not be a strong warrior, or have capacities like Viola to see beyond kilometers.. but she is definitely the character with the best qualification to be up their and be the eyes of the crew.

As you can see.. This can be done for every strawhats and their respective thematics AND with Carrot. Each strawhats's post/roles are extensions of a specific thematic.. for a good reason: Oda designed his crew to be a bunch of missfits repreenting strong values:

Honor / Pride / Kindness / Courage / Intelligence etc.. All of this does not only serv the characters, it serv the entire story of One Piece. The strawhats are representing the core values of the characters and their post are here to enhance those values.

So...

Do you guys are starting to understand why I'm always saying that to have a post on the Sunny is VERY important in term of storytelling and you can't just "throw" a character into a role?

A role must be impactfull. It must be relevant in relationship to the characterization of the character. It must enhance the theme surrounding the character and his story.

So.. does it make sence for Yamato to become a Sake Brewer or even a combattant ? In the narration.. no.

Combattant:

Yamato has never been characterized as a combattant at hearth, she only fought and became strong because of circounstance. Fighting is not one of the main value of Yamato.. In fact.. fighting is not a value at all.. it does tell us anything. Being a "combattant" on the ship would be meaningless both in term of characterization and storytelling. What does it add to the story ? Nothing. It just the defaut state of a strong character in One Piece, it's nothing worth developping.

Log Keeper:

Did you ever see Yamato write or having a strong relationship to writing ? No really huh? Well that's logical, Yamato is a reader, she experiences she doesn't create. Becoming a Log keeper/storyteller COULD mean something if that aspect of Yamato was developped. If she tried - for example - to imitate Oden's log book as a child.. that would have been pretty telling.. no ?

Plus let's not forget that keeping the Log is Nami's job as a navigator. So I would love this to be the way Oda is going for.. but there are not enough evidences in the story to support that hypothesis.

Sake brewer:

Same... let's pass on the fact that being a Sake Brewer would help in NO WAY the strawhat during their journey, what would it tell us in term of storytelling ? That alhcool is important ? That yamato is somehow the bringer of Alcoohol ? Sake plays indeed a part in the story as a link between brotherly characters, but the actual stories of the strawhats, in the actual characterization of Yamato in her actual story ? Nothing... it's purelly and utterly irrelevant.

Yamato's thematic revolves around self discovery, freedom and responsibilities. In a sence, Yamato is an extension of LUFFY's thematic and right now, nothing is enhancing those themaric as a speciality for Yamato.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Yamato to discover a passion for Ropes or Ship maintenance.. but let's be real here.. All the strong roles on the ship are being taken care of. And until further evidence and characterization of Yamato around the theme of writings.. I can't take the Log Keeper hypothesis into account.
Good on you for calling out your own side when they're out of line. You're good in my book:cheers:

When you think about it, the only one who read Oden's journals is Yamato, so she is the only one in One Piece who knows where the fourth red poneglyph (assuming that Oden has mentioned that). This means Luffy cannot be the Pirates King without Yamato.
Yamato4Nakama

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
It should have been very easy for you to identify yourself by writing "Edited by Kiwipom" in my post, unless you can only delete things from people's posts without being able to write anything.

And you had more than enough time to send me a message instead or besides the anonymous mod notification.
Bro that’s just not how we do it on wg. And a lot of other forums too. Stop trying to paint your own narrative

We’re not writing personal messages to every user who’s posts we edit cuz that’s a waste of time and most users have no issue with this. If you have concerns with a moderating decision that was made, you contact the mod team and we will let you know the reasons.

The fact it was indirect made it worse than mine, especially if mods in this site turn a blind eye to that kind of insult; That's an underhanded tactic to offend someone without running the risk of being targetted by mods, while also baiting the other person to throw more direct insults that won't be ignored by mods.
No it isnt. One is a personal insult and the other is not. It’s that simple.
What they did there was still a personal insult. They were using a serious post of mine as a target of mockery, thus insulting me. And 6 people were doing it; not just one. It seems you're failing to understand the importance of this factor. And, again, they insulted me first.

"you might not like it but it doesn’t break any rules" = It doesn't matter if they insulted you first, nor that many people were attacking you together; I personally don't like what you wrote, and I don't mind their mockery (it's not like they were mocking me anyway), so I'm conveniently choosing only to call what you wrote a 'personal insult' as an excuse to edit it while being able to claim that I'm just moderating according to the forum rules.
Where did the six people attack you and why didn’t you report their post?
Also the post you are referring to is not even a personal insult. That’s so mild, it’s typical internet interactions. Like if you are getting offended to that then well, idk what to tell you

On the subject of Yamato being sake brewer, I just noticed these panels
Yep, Yamato seems to have brought or owns traditional sake brewing equipment. While it's not confirmed that she makes sake, there's enough here that I could believe Oda is setting it up like when Jinbe steered the ship during Impel Down. It would also speak to her characterization that she makes sake in order to share it with people in order to make lasting friendships, something she longs for but her father violently denies her.

Thinking about it more, I'm much more evenly split between apprentice or brewer for Yamato. Being an apprentice fits her hero-worshipping and would make sense that she values freedom and wants to be an apprentice to Luffy who wants to be "the freest man in the world." Brewer could work like Sanji's and Brook's roles of something that Luffy highly values, that being food and music. Sake is valuable for the sakazuki ceremony that's been used a lot or just alcohol in general for celebrating during parties. If Luffy's real dream is being friends/throwing a party for the whole world, a brewer would fall in line with that desire. Still not a fan of "Zoro becomes Vice Captain, Yamato becomes the Combatant" though. It wouldn't be very Luffy-esque to set up a hierarchy in his crew of just a bunch of friends.

Let's see why with some the strawhats:

ZORO - You could argue that Zoro is just a "combattant", but narratively, Zoro is much more than that: he is the "first mate/Vice Captain". The vice captain is supposed to have enough leadership to take the role as captain if necessary. In theory, they are also here to question and keep the captain straight. The fact that Zoro is the one choosed by Oda and designed for that role is not innocent. Zoro is a man driven by honor. In the crew, he is the beacon of rightness, and everything from his story to his abilities are enhanced to reaffirme that characterization: The theme of the lone Ronin, the Sword, his backstory. Everything in the story is created to test Zoro's integrity. That's why Zoro is fit for the job of Vice-captain and the compass of Luffy.

SANJI - Sanji is the cook. But he is not "just" a cook. His entire characterization is designed to make him a great cook: Sanji is characterized as one of the nicest man there is. This trait of character is what permits him to understand that you must always feed the one who is hungry. Making him amazing for the job. But the post is not only enhanced through Sanji's cahracterization, it was enhance by the entire arc Sanji was in, the designs of the characters. The concept of "being a cook" was designed to be impactfull and the need for it to be urgent. All of that made the post very relevant in term of Narration.

JINBE - Jinbe is the helmsman. At first sight, the milking of the relationship between his characterization and that post is not obvious, but a closer look is helpfull. In reality, the post is also an extension of Jinbe's characterization and narrative. Jinbe is one of the "guide" of the crew (they are 4, Zoro(Honor)/Nami(Direction)/Robin(Cap)/Jinbe(Moral)), he acts as a moral support. In a sence, Jinbe is very similar to Zoro but when Zoro's thematic is focused around Honor and Sacrifice, Jinbe's thematic is more focused around abnegation and moral and responsibilities. He is the one that will keep you in the light and in reality. This is why Jinbe is not only a helmsman litterally but also figuratively. Jinbe is the ones who observe and guide. He is the wise one and the one you can really rely on when everything is burning around you. All of this thematic is extented by the fact that Jinbe is from the abyss, he directely witnessed oppression and is guided by one thing: to help his owns.You can also add to that that the role of the helmsman was primordial during the escape of whole cake.. and you got here the perfect job for Jinbe. Making sence both narratively and in term of characterization.

Carrot is ALSO following that principle:

CARROT: Carrot is a Sentry (LookOut+Sentinel): The thematic surrounding Carrot is all about Wonder in front of the sea. In that sence everything from Carrot's design through Carrot's story arc to her characterization and her post is designed to enhance that specific theme. From the start, Oda designed Carrot as a cheerful character then went his way to make her the voice of the "new innocence" in front of the seas. Carrot is the one who is amazed by things that usually terrifies everyone, she has a vision of the sea completely restricted by her lack of knowledge, making her the best character to discover it. She is the one who will rush into the unknown, she is the one that will laugh at danger, she will always wonder about new things. Basically.. Carrot is the character that is the most fit to see the world in a new way. Carrot's vision of the sea is also the one who is the most challenged. Everything in her story is created to make her struggle and question that wonder.. but just like every strawhat.. Carrot is also build as a hero. She isn't meant to succomb to those struggles. That thematic of "wonder" is not only enhanced by her story, but also and mostly by her design and her specificity: Carrot is mink. So, during the full moon, Carrot transforms, not only as a sulong beast, but a litteral moon goddess. Her design in Sulong is meant to evoque Wonder, magic and the mystical. Carrot is Sulong, becomes the impersonnification of Wonder. Once she transforms, she is not the one who watches, she is the one who is being watched.
I thought at first that you're grouping Carrot with the Wings and Jinbe... Good thing it's not the point...

Yep, Yamato seems to have brought or owns traditional sake brewing equipment. While it's not confirmed that she makes sake, there's enough here that I could believe Oda is setting it up like when Jinbe steered the ship during Impel Down. It would also speak to her characterization that she makes sake in order to share it with people in order to make lasting friendships, something she longs for but her father violently denies her.

Thinking about it more, I'm much more evenly split between apprentice or brewer for Yamato. Being an apprentice fits her hero-worshipping and would make sense that she values freedom and wants to be an apprentice to Luffy who wants to be "the freest man in the world." Brewer could work like Sanji's and Brook's roles of something that Luffy highly values, that being food and music. Sake is valuable for the sakazuki ceremony that's been used a lot or just alcohol in general for celebrating during parties. If Luffy's real dream is being friends/throwing a party for the whole world, a brewer would fall in line with that desire. Still not a fan of "Zoro becomes Vice Captain, Yamato becomes the Combatant" though. It wouldn't be very Luffy-esque to set up a hierarchy in his crew of just a bunch of friends.
Luffy also just so happens to postpone the toast for Jinbe joining right after Sanji mentions there was no alcohol on board and right before Usopp mentions that the booze will taste better after Kaido is defeated. All of this in the same chapter Yamato is first mentioned in too, and in addition to Chapter 999 being titled "The Sake I Brewed to Drink With You".

I thought at first that you're grouping Carrot with the Wings and Jinbe... Good thing it's not the point...
Yup, I just took Jinbe as an exemple because the relationship between his characterization and his post wasn't obvious. But you can do this for all the strawhats.

Did you see/read Oden's flashback? He finished his adventure then returned to Wano
An adventure is not only what you seek, it's everything you experiment in a specific laps of time. In this instance, the Adventure of Oden is:

- Pre-Sea
- Whitebeard
- Roger
- Wano

It's the entire package.

Status
Not open for further replies.