Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya all :cheers:
Been a bit busy, so I'm fashionably late to the show (had more than a couple of chuckles reading the 40+ pages of trolling and Two Piece tho :ihaha:)

- Shining Nakama Action
- Antagonistic introduction
- Design and quirks
Etc.

She was prepared like a strawhat in whole cake. It won't disappear just because Oda put her down in Wano. Technically the Saga is still going on. It will be finished the moment we will make a transition between the End of wano and the next phase.
I can see why you believe Carrot is important and could be a SH. Tbh, I thought she could be one during WCI, and while I like Carrot more as a supporting character, she did give away the vibe of special treatment then. Also, as WCI had a twisted Alice in the Wonderland theme, it made sense to have an important character alluring to the rabbit in the Lewis' story. But it's impossible to deny that Carrot is fading into the background during Wano and spends more time with minks than with Luffy & co. We can agree to disagree (you support Carrot, I support Yamato), but I wonder, what would be your take on Oda's writing once Carrot doesn't join? Will you still expect Carrot to re-emerge somehow or do you support her forming her own crew or what would happen to her?

Upd: couple of edits, stupid autocorrect changes Wano to Want 🤣

With Yamato being known to the Marines now and even attacking an Admiral, while also ousting her lineage

Greenbull is likely to report it and she'll be given a bounty

(Unlike CP-0, who probably knew about her already but didn't report her existence because the Government isn't supposed to be in Wano)

She won't stay in Wano because now there is a legit reason for the government to attack

With her having even more of a reason to leave, this is more and more likely

and spends more time with minks than with Luffy & co.
Debatable.

what would be your take on Oda's writing once Carrot doesn't join?
There would be a storytelling enigma. What happened on wholecake with carrot would be a unique case in One Piece and would need to be explained in anotherway. I'm ok with Yamato joining in fact I want them to join. It's just unlikely for the moment 0.005% too unlikely for me.

Had Oda never put multiple subversive affirmation, I would be rooting for Yamato too right now, but he did.. so if Yamato has to join, something needs to happen that will twist (at least a little) their perception of the strawhat crew.

Will you still expect Carrot to re-emerge somehow or do you support her forming her own crew or what would happen to her?
Nah, Carrot is not a leader, she won't become a captain.

You need to understand this:

Fact 1: Carrot is 15, she is still a teenager who want to enjoy life to the fullest
Fact 2: Carrot has been THE representation of the mink tribe in anyway shape or form since their introduction (even in front of Inu and Neko in both the story and the meta).
Fact 3: Carrot is not a leader and was never represented like one
Fact 4: Carrot has been shown LOVING the sea and the wonders of the world to a CRAZY extent.
Fact 5: Carrot left once zou before
Fact 6: Carrot LOVES the strawhats

So.. Looking at those facts, let see what could happen:

1 - Creating a crew for herself?

Why would she do that when she can just hop on the Sunny again. Plus fact 3, Carrot is not a leader.

So.. No

2 - Joining a crew of minks on sea ?

Why would she do that when she can just hop on the Sunny again and join the one crew she loves. Plus Carrot has been THE representation of the mink, why would she settle to be just a number in a crew when she was the face of the mink tribe ?

So.. No

3 - Staying on Zou / Wano ?

Why would she do that when she is sure to have a much better time on the sea? Remember fact 1 and 5, she is like a teenager beside of a roller coaster and she already left once before. Her characterization is clear : Carrot will seek fun EVERYTIME.

So.. no

4 - Being captured ?

Why not, but it would be odd for someone to capture Carrot out of nowhere

So.. very unlikely

> So the only thing that make sence if we follow the characterization of Carrot and those facts is that Carrot will want to have fun again, Zou will not be enough and she will sneak again on the Sunny. Remember the words of Oda "my character are sometime acting by themself)

Carrot sneaking on the Sunny is just the most simple and logical outcome. In fact, Carrot would have 1 panel in the entierity of Wano and this take would stay the same: She will sneak on board.
Post automatically merged:

You failed to understand what I wrote. Let me try again: someone who claims to be able to detect subtle narrative structure should be able to understand the implications of the contexts in which Yamato and Carrot appear in 1053
Don't worry, I understand fully the implication of those appearances.

R

rubblerust

Subversive affirmation is not a common mechanic in fiction writing , it is not a writing technique, it is not a prose technique, it has nothing to do with subversion. It's a fart in the wind, its nothing. Its all about expectations.

You might aswell talk about subversive assfirmation.
It reminds me of the claim that the devil put dinosaur bones in the earth to trick people into believing in evolution.

Subversive affirmation is not a common mechanic in fiction writing , it is not a writing technique, it is not a prose technique, it has nothing to do with subversion. It's a fart in the wind, its nothing. Its all about expectations.

You might aswell talk about subversive assfirmation.
It is mate. Sorry if you don't understand it. Note that I only conceptualized and NAMED the narrative principle, the narrative principle exist without that. It's like forshadowing, you can name them whatever you want, they won't disappear. They exist, wether they are made on purpose or not.

Just read the article, you will understand what I'm talking about when I speak about "Subversive affirmation": Here

It is mate. Sorry if you don't understand it. Note that I only conceptualized and NAMED the narrative principle, the narrative principle exist without that. It's like forshadowing, you can name them whatever you want, they won't disappear. They exist, wether they are made on purpose or not.

Just read the article, you will understand what I'm talking about when I speak about "Subversive affirmation": Here
The concept could be tied to Zizek and not you, as he put it it was to differentiate between aesthetics and the intention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversive_affirmation

??????????? wtf is this

R

rubblerust

The concept could be tied to Zizek and not you, as he put it it was to differentiate between aesthetics and the intention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversive_affirmation

??????????? wtf is this
Hm.. Funny I didn't check if this was already a thing. Well whatever, it's the right word anyway so I will keep it for storytelling.

Like I said, I NAMED a principle that already exist wether you like it or not. To make a metaphor: I uncovered a new specie and named it, I didn't invent the specie. I did that only because their was no known theorization of that principle (at least not in my knowledge and of course I can be wrong on that, I'm not omnipotent)

So, name it whatever you want, but understand what the word is describing. Only then you will understand why this concept is important in the story.

Actual subversive affirmation in that sense is what Ryokugyu does in 1054: affirm the ideology of the Celestial Dragons to the extreme, so that the effect on the reader is the opposite.
Not really no, it's a bit different.
Basically a "subversive affirmation" is an affirmation that is proven wrong later by the story and can be spot by a corruption of the premisse of said affirmation. I've given multiple example on my article.

In addition throughout the chapters we have not had any form of new dialogue from carrot we have not seen her still thinking about Pedro sacrifice

Looks like she is perfectly content being with her people to me. :zorothink:
An yet.. she is still the front representation of the mink tribe.
But I guess you should really compare that "good moment"..

to that:

and that:

That is NEXT LEVEL enjoyment and wonder.

That's Carrot characterization. Of course she will have fun on Zou or Wano. But nothing can compare to the joy she will feel with the crew on the sea. And that is something Oda prepared since her introduction.

Carrot will sneak onboard.. why ? Because she is like a teenager in front of a roller coaster with empty places and ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.