Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what your saying Yamato is getting a lot screen time lately than carrot. Your hoping that both of them join eventually. But it does appear Yamato getting a lot screen time devote her as this brand new character. She already display various techniques under her belt. As well getting know more of her personality and little bit about her background. She has responded to luffy orders that were given to her. Has brief interaction with one of them members of the crew. I believe during act 4 we’re going to know more about Kaido and Yamato as characters where they come from as the being that they are. Plus she has shown a hidden surprise of her own we haven’t seen thus far yet will have wait see what that is. This arc especially act 3 has certain her and momo as characters.

I do hope the last 3 straw hats end up being
Yamato, Carrot, and vvi
Yes to Vivi. With the way things are, she can’t come back to Alabasta safely and she’s in more danger than ever. As an honorary Strawhat, she will look forward to journeying with the crew again. Even if it may take a while for her to get used to working with the woman that harmed Igaram (Robin).

One of the most relevant aspects to Yamato's character is her being aware of Luffy for over three years since her encounter with Ace. Yamato has known about Luffy longer than any of the other Straw Hat Pirates. Back when she met Ace, Yamato wanted to join him on his ship but was overwhelmed by fear to make the leap. Ever since that moment, she has been waiting for Luffy, confident that he will arrive in Wano Kuni. Yamato has shown belief in Luffy for three years without even having directly met him. And along with using "Oden" as a source of strength to keep her fears at bay, she has also relied on the eventual meeting with Luffy as a "hope" to continue forward. Contrary to how Kaido views Luffy, Yamato has fate that Luffy is able to defeat her father and assist in opening the borders of Wano Kuni. I don't think such a belief can be discounted so easily.

Not only has Yamato been waiting for Luffy but as illustrated in chapter 996 she has been conscientiously following their journey. Yamato is aware of the Straw Hat Pirate members, their nicknames and their bounties. Even their recent actions within Dressrosa, Yamato knows about it. Normally that may not be so impressive but this is Wano Kuni we are talking about, a closed border country where very little information about the outside world enters. Yamato did not freely come across such information. She likely had to put in serious effort to acquire any newspapers or information brought in from the outside world by the Beast Pirates. Such commitment from Yamato regarding the Straw Hat Pirates expresses her interest, esteem and admiration for and in them. The extent to which Yamato is "involved" only adds to Yamato's importance and potential chances in joining the Straw Hat Pirates because it reduces the amount of time needed for Yamato to familiarise herself with the Straw Hat Pirates, their adventures and their objectives. Yamato can hit the ground running as a Straw Hat Pirate if need be (important at this stage of the story).

Franky himself has become curious in Yamato and I believe such situations are indirectly crafting bonds and relationships between Yamato and the Straw Hat Pirates.

If it ends up being revealed that the Octopus who guided the Straw Hat Pirates to Wano Kuni was stationed there by Yamato because of her belief in the Straw Hat Pirates arrival, it would majorly help Yamato's chances of joining the crew as it would establish that Yamato had a role from the very start of the Wano Kuni Arc.

Yamato could not leave Onigashima due to the explosive bindings Kaido placed on her twenty years ago. Despite her desire to want to open up the borders of Wano Kuni, she could not leave Onigashima to head to the main Wano Kuni Island(s) to confront Orochi and defeat him. There was only one day each year where Orochi visited Onigashima (Fire Festival) and during that time both Orochi's forces and the Beasts Pirates were gathered. Too many for one person to handle. Overwhelmed by such a task (defeating both Kaido and Orochi), Yamato began to rely on her belief in Luffy. And in believing Luffy's arrival was inevitable, Yamato could have created the plan to combat her inability of leaving Onigashima by using an Octopus (a friend of Yamato's who had the freedom to traverse the oceans) to help the Straw Hat Pirates enter Wano Kuni when they arrive near the Waterfall entrance (she already knew they were heading in that direction after the events on Dressrosa). The Octopus seemed to be attracted aboard the ship after noticing the Straw Hat Skull Flag. And the Octopus only revealed itself and began to summon the Koi Fish after Luffy mentioned his name on the transponder snail (chapter 910).

Additionally, for someone who is so in awe at individuals who lead adventurous lives and in the stories detailing such, I honestly cannot see Yamato remaining on Wano Kuni after the arc. Whether it is through the Straw Hat Pirates, as a representative of Momonosuke (Wano Kuni) or as a mere adventurer, Yamato will journey outside the border of Wano Kuni and explore the world. The wonders that reinforced her conviction and expanded her dreams will ultimately have substance added to it.

Another curious development I did find interesting during the Akazaya Nine's battle against Kaido is that none of them learned the Oden Nitoryu (two-sword) Style directly from Oden (a sword style Oden had considered to be the greatest there is). The Akazaya Nine's imitations were imperfect and as Kaido stated, weak. With Oden dead and none of the Akazaya Nine learning the two-sword style directly from Oden, does this mean Oden's two-sword style is forgotten? I don't think so. Oda has illustrated Oden's excitement at passing on his sword style to his retainers in the flashback so even when Toki revealed to Oden why none of the Akazaya Nine wanted him to teach his sword style to them, I don't see Oden not leaving any trace of his sword style behind. In all likelihood, Oden wanting to leave the teachings of his sword style behind (for his son and future Samurai), recorded the techniques and training required within his Journal. The “very important things” Yamato mentioned when talking about the journal to Luffy could be the secrets behind Oden’s two-sword style.

Yamato may not have fully mastered the Oden two-sword style but I believe considering the admiration and reverence Yamato had for Oden, she would not have not attempted to learn the fighting style of Oden, especially if Oden had noted down the teachings within his journal. We have yet to see what Yamato can do with swords and when that moment arrives when Yamato wields swords, the Oden two-sword style will be reborn. And this is why the current meeting between Yamato and Momonosuke is integral. Momonosuke needs to know who Yamato is and develop sufficient confidence in her and her abilities to help inspire him to make the decision to give his Ame no Habakiri to Yamato. BOTH Enma and Ame no Habakiri will be used against Kaido.

And if Yamato does end up joining the Straw Hat Pirates, Ace would be indirectly responsible for such an outcome by inspiring Yamato with his stories of Luffy. As if a final gift from Ace, a new friend he was able to introduce to his little brother from three years ago. Just as Luffy has become closely connected to Tama because of her relation to Ace, the same is happening with Luffy and Yamato.

Narratively, there is just so much going for Yamato. Her potential is immense and my excitement for her is only growing the more Oda focuses on her. To know we have more on her past (mother), trauma, darkness, relations (Marco and Kaido), attack style (she will wield a sword/swords), transformation and dream (adventure, dawn, freedom) to look forward to, how marvelously exhilarating.

As for Yamato's design, I find it appealing and memorable. Personally, I would have preferred if Yamato had a more monstrous/non-human design (like Monet whose design I love). But with Oda teasing the readers to a potential transformation from Yamato, I really do wonder if Oda has a more beastly design for Yamato already planned. I also look forward to Big Mom's meeting with Yamato. They haven't met yet but when she meets Yamato, will Yamato's appearance and unique race (part Ancient Giant? Oni?) appeal to Big Mom's fascination such as with the non-human Straw Hat Pirate members (Brook, Jinbe, Chopper, Franky).

Aka Oni Yamato (Red Oni Yamato) - a potential Epithet for Yamato that embodies both the Oden legacy and her own blood. 'Aka' inspired from the Akazaya Nine and Oni after the race she represents.

One of the most relevant aspects to Yamato's character is her being aware of Luffy for over three years since her encounter with Ace. Yamato has known about Luffy longer than any of the other Straw Hat Pirates. Back when she met Ace, Yamato wanted to join him on his ship but was overwhelmed by fear to make the leap. Ever since that moment, she has been waiting for Luffy, confident that he will arrive in Wano Kuni. Yamato has shown belief in Luffy for three years without even having directly met him. And along with using "Oden" as a source of strength to keep her fears at bay, she has also relied on the eventual meeting with Luffy as a "hope" to continue forward. Contrary to how Kaido views Luffy, Yamato has fate that Luffy is able to defeat her father and assist in opening the borders of Wano Kuni. I don't think such a belief can be discounted so easily.

Not only has Yamato been waiting for Luffy but as illustrated in chapter 996 she has been conscientiously following their journey. Yamato is aware of the Straw Hat Pirate members, their nicknames and their bounties. Even their recent actions within Dressrosa, Yamato knows about it. Normally that may not be so impressive but this is Wano Kuni we are talking about, a closed border country where very little information about the outside world enters. Yamato did not freely come across such information. She likely had to put in serious effort to acquire any newspapers or information brought in from the outside world by the Beast Pirates. Such commitment from Yamato regarding the Straw Hat Pirates expresses her interest, esteem and admiration for and in them. The extent to which Yamato is "involved" only adds to Yamato's importance and potential chances in joining the Straw Hat Pirates because it reduces the amount of time needed for Yamato to familiarise herself with the Straw Hat Pirates, their adventures and their objectives. Yamato can hit the ground running as a Straw Hat Pirate if need be (important at this stage of the story).

Franky himself has become curious in Yamato and I believe such situations are indirectly crafting bonds and relationships between Yamato and the Straw Hat Pirates.

If it ends up being revealed that the Octopus who guided the Straw Hat Pirates to Wano Kuni was stationed there by Yamato because of her belief in the Straw Hat Pirates arrival, it would majorly help Yamato's chances of joining the crew as it would establish that Yamato had a role from the very start of the Wano Kuni Arc.

Yamato could not leave Onigashima due to the explosive bindings Kaido placed on her twenty years ago. Despite her desire to want to open up the borders of Wano Kuni, she could not leave Onigashima to head to the main Wano Kuni Island(s) to confront Orochi and defeat him. There was only one day each year where Orochi visited Onigashima (Fire Festival) and during that time both Orochi's forces and the Beasts Pirates were gathered. Too many for one person to handle. Overwhelmed by such a task (defeating both Kaido and Orochi), Yamato began to rely on her belief in Luffy. And in believing Luffy's arrival was inevitable, Yamato could have created the plan to combat her inability of leaving Onigashima by using an Octopus (a friend of Yamato's who had the freedom to traverse the oceans) to help the Straw Hat Pirates enter Wano Kuni when they arrive near the Waterfall entrance (she already knew they were heading in that direction after the events on Dressrosa). The Octopus seemed to be attracted aboard the ship after noticing the Straw Hat Skull Flag. And the Octopus only revealed itself and began to summon the Koi Fish after Luffy mentioned his name on the transponder snail (chapter 910).

Additionally, for someone who is so in awe at individuals who lead adventurous lives and in the stories detailing such, I honestly cannot see Yamato remaining on Wano Kuni after the arc. Whether it is through the Straw Hat Pirates, as a representative of Momonosuke (Wano Kuni) or as a mere adventurer, Yamato will journey outside the border of Wano Kuni and explore the world. The wonders that reinforced her conviction and expanded her dreams will ultimately have substance added to it.

Another curious development I did find interesting during the Akazaya Nine's battle against Kaido is that none of them learned the Oden Nitoryu (two-sword) Style directly from Oden (a sword style Oden had considered to be the greatest there is). The Akazaya Nine's imitations were imperfect and as Kaido stated, weak. With Oden dead and none of the Akazaya Nine learning the two-sword style directly from Oden, does this mean Oden's two-sword style is forgotten? I don't think so. Oda has illustrated Oden's excitement at passing on his sword style to his retainers in the flashback so even when Toki revealed to Oden why none of the Akazaya Nine wanted him to teach his sword style to them, I don't see Oden not leaving any trace of his sword style behind. In all likelihood, Oden wanting to leave the teachings of his sword style behind (for his son and future Samurai), recorded the techniques and training required within his Journal. The “very important things” Yamato mentioned when talking about the journal to Luffy could be the secrets behind Oden’s two-sword style.

Yamato may not have fully mastered the Oden two-sword style but I believe considering the admiration and reverence Yamato had for Oden, she would not have not attempted to learn the fighting style of Oden, especially if Oden had noted down the teachings within his journal. We have yet to see what Yamato can do with swords and when that moment arrives when Yamato wields swords, the Oden two-sword style will be reborn. And this is why the current meeting between Yamato and Momonosuke is integral. Momonosuke needs to know who Yamato is and develop sufficient confidence in her and her abilities to help inspire him to make the decision to give his Ame no Habakiri to Yamato. BOTH Enma and Ame no Habakiri will be used against Kaido.

And if Yamato does end up joining the Straw Hat Pirates, Ace would be indirectly responsible for such an outcome by inspiring Yamato with his stories of Luffy. As if a final gift from Ace, a new friend he was able to introduce to his little brother from three years ago. Just as Luffy has become closely connected to Tama because of her relation to Ace, the same is happening with Luffy and Yamato.

Narratively, there is just so much going for Yamato. Her potential is immense and my excitement for her is only growing the more Oda focuses on her. To know we have more on her past (mother), trauma, darkness, relations (Marco and Kaido), attack style (she will wield a sword/swords), transformation and dream (adventure, dawn, freedom) to look forward to, how marvelously exhilarating.

As for Yamato's design, I find it appealing and memorable. Personally, I would have preferred if Yamato had a more monstrous/non-human design (like Monet whose design I love). But with Oda teasing the readers to a potential transformation from Yamato, I really do wonder if Oda has a more beastly design for Yamato already planned. I also look forward to Big Mom's meeting with Yamato. They haven't met yet but when she meets Yamato, will Yamato's appearance and unique race (part Ancient Giant? Oni?) appeal to Big Mom's fascination such as with the non-human Straw Hat Pirate members (Brook, Jinbe, Chopper, Franky).

Aka Oni Yamato (Red Oni Yamato) - a potential Epithet for Yamato that embodies both the Oden legacy and her own blood. 'Aka' inspired from the Akazaya Nine and Oni after the race she represents.
Beautifully said. I am awed. Thank you. You have brought up things that I've overlooked and didn't think about. Props to you. You are Legend.

Couldn’t have said it better myself

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern

Great post my guy:cheers:

Though I do still think that if Yamato were to join, her position would be that of an apprentice. Paralleling her father’s position under Rocks. I went into detail about my theory in this thread some time back. In fact that post was the first one I ever made on WorstGen.

Though I do still think that if Yamato were to join, her position would be that of an apprentice. Paralleling her father’s position under Rocks. I went into detail about my theory in this thread some time back. In fact that post was the first one I ever made on WorstGen.
In apprentice wouldn’t really fit her role and a log keeper or possibly a combatant makes the most logical sense. This character actually know how to fight defend herself

In apprentice wouldn’t really fit her role and a log keeper or possibly a combatant makes the most logical sense. This character actually know how to fight defend herself
I disagree. There is no reason to have a log keeper this late into the game when 80% of the journey is already over. Plus it’s been implied that Nami has been keeping a Log since she joined the SHs.

And having her as a pure combatent just feels like a cop out from giving her an actual position. Everybody on the SHs is already a combatant but they also have primary role in the crew.

The apprentice position is the most notable role the the SHs have yet to fill on their ship. Add the fact that Yamato’s own father Kaido was an apprentice himself under Rocks and she’s been trapped on Onigashima for the last 20 years without much outside world experience, makes it more likely to me that Yamato is likely to hold this position.

And having a grown adult as an apprentice I feel would be consistent with Oda’s sense of humor.

Last edited:
I disagree. There is no reason to have a log keeper this late into the game when 80% of the journey is already over. Plus it’s been implied that Nami has been keeping a Log since she joined the SHs.

And having her as a pure combatent just feels like a cop out from giving her an actual position. Everybody on the SHs is already a combatant but they also have primary role in the crew.

The apprentice position is the most notable role the the SHs have yet to fill on their ship. Add the fact that Yamato’s own father Kaido was an apprentice himself under Rocks and she’s been trapped on Onigashima for the last 20 years without much outside world experience, makes it more likely to me that Yamato is likely to hold this position.

And having a grown adult as an apprentice I feel would be consistent with Oda’s sense of humor.
Having her own as an apprentice doesn’t really make any sense for her character actually she knows how to fight and can stand on her own 2 feet without relying on others to help them apprentice is usually somewhat of an underling or a trainee in the one piece world and other form media. If you go characters like Marco, shanks, or buggy. Marco was able climbing up the ladder to become one primary doctor of the crew and end up whitebeard’s right hand man. Shanks and buggy later life would end forming there own pirate crews. So would Kaido to but still. They way yamato close off rest world it would make sense for her log keeper in the same context oden was. Yes he was one the decipher of the poneglaphs for roger pirates. He also wrote his journey Of all his experiences. Same with Nolan niece or nephew wrote all about his adventure he told about. Yamato might have own diary or write all the adventure she went on. Since she was close off ffrom rest the world.
Post automatically merged:

On top that appears in chapter 983, 984 995, and 996 we little bits pieces in terms how strong Yamato actually is. She is only little bit of her powers. It’s possible Yamato might some around zoro, sanji, and Jinbei are in terms strength. She already shown using armament haki one of the numbers she wasn’t even in her transformation at that point.

Last edited:
Having her own as an apprentice doesn’t really make any sense for her character actually she knows how to fight and can stand on her own 2 feet without relying on others to help them apprentice is usually somewhat of an underling or a trainee in the one piece world and other form media. If you go characters like Marco, shanks, or buggy. Marco was able climbing up the ladder to become one primary doctor of the crew and end up whitebeard’s right hand man. Shanks and buggy later life would end forming there own pirate crews. So would Kaido to but still. They way yamato close off rest world it would make sense for her log keeper in the same context oden was. Yes he was one the decipher of the poneglaphs for roger pirates. He also wrote his journey Of all his experiences. Same with Nolan niece or nephew wrote all about his adventure he told about. Yamato might have own diary or write all the adventure she went on. Since she was close off ffrom rest the world.

On top that appears in chapter 983, 984 995, and 996 we little bits pieces in terms how strong Yamato actually is. She is only little bit of her powers. It’s possible Yamato might some around zoro, sanji, and Jinbei are in terms strength. She already shown using armament haki one of the numbers she wasn’t even in her transformation at that point.
I disagree, just because she’s strong doesn’t mean she can’t be an apprentice. The fact Kaido was an apprentice under Rocks is a clear counter example to the Shanks/Buggy argument.

I strongly doubt Xebec would have taken Kaido in if he couldn’t defend himself. Xebec wanted to be king of the world so he would have only taken in the strongest pirates. Blackbeard who was influenced by Xebec also holds this philosophy when he demanded the prisoners of level 6 impel down to fight to the death and he would only accept the winners into his crew.

Just look at Kaido’s silhouette when he’s with the Rocks pirates. He’s shown to be grown just like Whitebeard or Big Mom and not a child like Shanks or Buggy. And even at his size he was STILL an apprentice. So I don’t see any reason why his daughter Yamato couldn’t parallel him under the SHs.

And Oden joined Rogers crew fairly late into his career too, so? You could make the same argument about Brook, he joined pretty late too, or Jinbei. Carrot will be a lookout, Caribou a quartermaster, and we'll learn about Yamato's role soon (because we don't know whta they're good at), an apprentice would be something like momo or tama, not Yamato, who is a monster trio leveled combatant who could probably beat Sanji.

Kaidou was no match Rocks, Whitebeard, and Shiki, he was weaker than Prime Big Mom, Captain John, etc as well. He for all intensive purposes, was probably the weakest one of that ship, full of roger's biggest rivals/enemies, him being probably more akin to shanks and buggy on rogers ship, though maybe a tad older.

And Oden joined Rogers crew fairly late into his career too, so? You could make the same argument about Brook, he joined pretty late too, or Jinbei. Carrot will be a lookout, Caribou a quartermaster, and we'll learn about Yamato's role soon (because we don't know whta they're good at), an apprentice would be something like momo or tama, not Yamato, who is a monster trio leveled combatant who could probably beat Sanji.

Kaidou was no match Rocks, Whitebeard, and Shiki, he was weaker than Prime Big Mom, Captain John, etc as well. He for all intensive purposes, was probably the weakest one of that ship, full of roger's biggest rivals/enemies, him being probably more akin to shanks and buggy on rogers ship, though maybe a tad older.
When did I make the arguement that nobody could join late?

What I did say was that having a new Log Keeper this late into the story wouldn’t make sense since this log keeper would have missed recording most of the journey.

Saying that Kaido was no match for Shiki, Big Mom or Captain John during Rocks is pure speculation and has never been stated as such in the Manga. So you can’t really use that as evidence that apprentices must be weak physically. One can still be an apprentice who is learning soft skills (like for example navigation) as opposed to hard skills (like for example combat).

And I feel strongly that Luffy would pull a Shanks and not allow Momo or Tama to join the crew because of their age. I know Roger allowed kids in his crew but Luffy is Directly influenced by Shanks and has tried to imitate him thoughout the series. Remember the Bellamy incident in Jaya?

Therefore the apprentice slot would have to be filled by someone who is older. Yamato seems like the prime candidate to me because of the possible parallels it would create when her father was under Rocks.

Last edited:
I disagree, just because she’s strong doesn’t mean she can’t be an apprentice. The fact Kaido was an apprentice under Rocks is a clear counter example to the Shanks/Buggy argument.

I strongly doubt Xebec would have taken Kaido in if he couldn’t defend himself. Xebec wanted to be king of the world so he would have only taken in the strongest pirates. Blackbeard who was influenced by Xebec also holds this philosophy when he demanded the prisoners of level 6 impel down to fight to the death and he would only accept the winners into his crew.

Just look at Kaido’s silhouette when he’s with the Rocks pirates. He’s shown to be grown just like Whitebeard or Big Mom and not a child like Shanks or Buggy. And even at his size he was STILL an apprentice. So I don’t see any reason why his daughter Yamato couldn’t parallel him under the SHs.
During chapter 957 sengoku reveals us that both big Mom and kaido. They weren’t as strong previously during roger area. Hell Kaido introduction according the narrator themselves there some shakes up in his career of being pirates. They only way he became yonko it’s because strength alone.

During chapter 957 sengoku reveals us that both big Mom and kaido. They weren’t as strong previously during roger area. Hell Kaido introduction according the narrator themselves there some shakes up in his career of being pirates. They only way he became yonko it’s because strength alone.
Okay so what point are you trying to make? Just because they’re strong NOW doesn’t mean they weren’t strong THEN. Hell Big Mom already reached a bounty of 500 million when she was still a kid, and this was way before she joined Rocks.

And the fact Rocks accepted Kaido along with ranks of Big Mom who already reached a 500 Million bounty just shows how strong Kaido must have been. And he was STILL an apprentice.

Last edited:
Okay so what point are you trying to make? Just because they’re strong now doesn’t mean they weren’t strong then. Hell Big Mom already reached a bounty of 500 million when she was still a kid, and this was before she joined Rocks.
What I am saying is they have improve since way back than. Yamato being apprentice doesn’t really make sense to me on the straw hat ship. If she already incredible strong and can take care herself in a fight. Why should she be underling like her father? If she already train and skill enough handle herself in a fight. Is likely that the other characters would ask her for major pointer for some improvement to get better themselves in order for them prepared for upccomng fights. That weapon Yamato uses you have well train to use it. That weapon is not toy is made for war. Yamato wouldn’t be in side lines she would want where action is. She would want front lines like zoro, sanji I, and Jinbei

This why I say Yamato could either be log keeper like oden since she was lock away for 20 years. Possible hasn’t experience or explore the outside world or combatant a character who use to fighting. Zoro might end up moving ranks to be luffy’s vice captain. Since he so fixed on fighting Kaido. Through story he also been shown be second command if luffy isn’t there. We did Originally have people who steer the ship before. Jinbei was only person who was skill enough and talent enough do better for other characters. Ussop originally was the person who had fix the merry when it was Damage in battle the crucial thing in water 7 was we need professional shipwright repair damage of the ship. That’s why we have Franky. Nami despite having a little bit medical knowledge we still need a doctor immediately. So that we have chopper. Despite Nami little bit skills as cook. The straw hats still need a professional cook which was sanji.

Last edited:
What I am saying is they have improve since way back than. Yamato being apprentice doesn’t really make sense to me on the straw hat ship. If she already incredible strong and can take care herself in a fight. Why should she be underling like her father? If she already train and skill enough handle herself in a fight. Is likely that the other characters would ask her for major pointer for some improvement to get better themselves in order for them prepared for upccomng fights. That weapon Yamato uses you have well train to use it. That weapon is not toy is made for war. Yamato wouldn’t be in side lines she would want where action is. She would want front lines like zoro, sanji I, and Jinbei

This why I say Yamato could either be log keeper like oden since she was lock away for 20 years. Possible hasn’t experience or explore the outside world or combatant a character who use to fighting. Zoro might end up moving ranks to be luffy’s vice captain. Since he so fixed on fighting Kaido. Through story he also been shown be second command if luffy isn’t there. We did Originally have people who steer the ship before. Jinbei was only person who was skill enough and talent enough do better for other characters. Ussop originally was the person who had fix the merry when it was Damage in battle the crucial thing in water 7 was we need professional shipwright repair damage of the ship. That’s why we have Franky. Nami despite having a little bit medical knowledge we still need a doctor immediately. So that we have chopper. Despite Nami little bit skills as cook. The straw hats still need a professional cook which was sanji.
I’m not convinced. Like I said already, just because somebody is strong doesn’t mean that they can’t be an apprentice. One can be strong physically but not know much when it comes to soft skills. This is partially why I think apprentice makes the most sense for her. Yamato wouldn’t have had much opportunity to learn any soft skills on onigashima because she’s been trapped there for 20 years.

The purpose for her to explore the outside world is not exclusively for her to get stronger physically but to get stronger mentally by learning the ways of the world. What better way to learn than being an apprentice on board the SHs where she can learn soft skills like Navigation, Engineering, History, Cooking etc. So she can find her passion and purpose in life. Something she didn’t have the opportunity to do at Onigashima.

I feel like her gag would be her imitating the various members of the crew like she used to do with Oden.

So no, one can still be an apprentice even if they are physically strong. The whole purpose of that position is to learn various skills, something Yamato hasn’t had much opportunity to do before.

When did I make the arguement that nobody could join late?

What I did say was that having a new Log Keeper this late into the story wouldn’t make sense since this log keeper would have missed recording most of the journey.

Saying that Kaido was no match for Shiki, Big Mom or Captain John during Rocks is pure speculation and has never been stated as such in the Manga. So you can’t really use that as evidence that apprentices must be weak physically. One can still be an apprentice who is learning soft skills (like for example navigation) as opposed to hard skills (like for example combat).

And I feel strongly that Luffy would pull a Shanks and not allow Momo or Tama to join the crew because of their age. I know Roger allowed kids in his crew but Luffy is Directly influenced by Shanks and has tried to imitate him thoughout the series. Remember the Bellamy incident in Jaya?

Therefore the apprentice slot would have to be filled by someone who is older. Yamato seems like the prime candidate to me because of the possible parallels it would create when her father was under Rocks.
Kaidou was weaker 20 years ago than he was now.
Rocks was 40 years ago.

Shiki was a canon match for Roger, and he was in his prime back then, Shiki back then could probably drop Kaidou rn tbh, especially when you compare then SHiki vs then Kaidou. Kaidou was early in his career back then.

Kaidou was pretty much objectively the weakest one in that crew that was named at least. Whitebeard was clearly above him, Big Mom was always monster strong even at the age of 6 while Kaidou earned his power seemingly (and also something big mom did helped kaidou, and that'd have happened post rocks almost without a doubt), Shiki, Captain John, etc were powerful rivals of Roger.

The very fact that Kaidou was in a trash position within the crew alrady pretty much confirms he was the whipping boy of hte crew.

Anyway Zoro doesn't have a position within the crew ironically, so why would Yamato need one? That said, she probably has something she can do, jinbei kind of pulled the helmsman skill out of his ass, no reason others shouldn't be able to do that, yamato is only like 5 chapters old now.

I’m not convinced. Like I said already, just because somebody is strong doesn’t mean that they can’t be an apprentice. One can be strong physically but not know much when it comes to soft skills. This is partially why I think apprentice makes the most sense for her. Yamato wouldn’t have had much opportunity to learn any soft skills on onigashima because she’s been trapped there for 20 years.

The purpose for her to explore the outside world is not exclusively for her to get stronger physically but to get stronger mentally by learning the ways of the world. What better way to learn than being an apprentice on board the SHs where she can learn soft skills like Navigation, Engineering, History, Cooking etc. So she can find her passion and purpose in life. Something she didn’t have the opportunity to do at Onigashima.

I feel like her gag would be her imitating the various members of the crew like she used to do with Oden.

So no, one can still be an apprentice even if they are physically strong. The whole purpose of that position is to learn various skills, something Yamato hasn’t had much opportunity to do before.
I get what your saying is Yamato should be apprentice because she lived in a close off environment has never had the freedom do what see truly wants do in life. She is incredibly strong you understanding that. It way help her become individual person in the process. But I don’t quite agree with that notion she be somewhere below the straw hats. Most the straw hats before, they joined had certain things halted their overall progress and there lively hood what they couldn’t accomplish without luffy and others being there help them in there time need. Should they all appreciate under luffy ship? No of course not they all had particular skills that Luffy has shown that he lacks in that position. Luffy still to this day doesn’t know how to use a sword, he still doesn’t know navigate, he still can’t lie, he can’t cook as we saw in whole cake island. He doesn’t know much about medicine. Hell doesn’t know much about the true history of the world. He doesn’t know how to make ship save his ass. He can’t sing and he can’t steer ship save his life. Each character of straw hats crew have specific role luffy isn’t good at. What he is good at taking down main boss and protecting other members of his crew. A character like Yamato doesn’t need below that the other character keep close eye on her. If Yamato join crew she probably get better understanding how things actually work around the crew. She end up havijg her own set skills that she also good at that the other characters might lack in. She might want do something contribute luffy’s progress.

Okay so what point are you trying to make? Just because they’re strong NOW doesn’t mean they weren’t strong THEN. Hell Big Mom already reached a bounty of 500 million when she was still a kid, and this was way before she joined Rocks.

And the fact Rocks accepted Kaido along with ranks of Big Mom who already reached a 500 Million bounty just shows how strong Kaido must have been. And he was STILL an apprentice.
And the people in Rocks crew were literally a bunch of yonkou or yonkou+ leveled beings. Prime Shiki is probably stronger than current Kaidou even, 500m is cute.

Rocks accepted Kaidou as an apprentice, he recruited Whitebeard, Shiki, Captain John, Big Mom, etc as full crew members. Big Mom was seemingly a normal member, though she'd still be a smaller deal than Shiki, who literally deserves to be said in the same name as Roger, Whitebeard, and Garp. You're underestimating him cuz of that non canon movie (and he literally had a steering wheel in his head and no legs, he was braindead lol)

Sorry but Captain John, Silver Axe, and Ochoku back then > Kaidou back then, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more too, just ones we won't be named. Is Kaidou stronger than Captain John, Silver Axe, and Ochoku in their primes now? Maybe, up to debate, we'd have to see them, but back then, Kaidou was the scrub kid. Those were all Roger rivals, while Kaidou was the amateur. It'd be like trying to compare coby to worst gen supernovas.

I get what your saying is Yamato should be apprentice because she lived in a close off environment has never had the freedom do what see truly wants do in life. She is incredibly strong you understanding that. It way help her become individual person in the process. But I don’t quite agree with that notion she be somewhere below the straw hats. Most the straw hats before, they joined had certain things halted their overall progress and there lively hood what they couldn’t accomplish without luffy and others being there help them in there time need. Should they all appreciate under luffy ship? No of course not they all had particular skills that Luffy has shown that he lacks in that position. Luffy still to this day doesn’t know how to use a sword, he still doesn’t know navigate, he still can’t lie, he can’t cook as we saw in whole cake island. He doesn’t know much about medicine. Hell doesn’t know much about the true history of the world. He doesn’t know how to make ship save his ass. He can’t sing and he can’t steer ship save his life. Each character of straw hats crew have specific role luffy isn’t good at. What he is good at taking down main boss and protecting other members of his crew. A character like Yamato doesn’t need below that the other character keep close eye on her. If Yamato join crew she probably get better understanding how things actually work around the crew. She end up havijg her own set skills that she also good at that the other characters might lack in. She might want do something contribute luffy’s progress.
Nah, I still think the apprentice position makes the most sense for her. I don’t personally buy that this position would make her below anyone else in the crew. I don’t think the apprentice position is going to be filled by any children because I expect Luffy to pull a Shanks and deny a spot for Momo or Tama. So if the apprentice slot is ever filled, it has to be by somebody that’s older. But whatever.

I don’t feel like continuing to write paragraph after paragraph repeating the same points I already made and getting nowhere. I also want to avoid the remote possibility of a flame war. So Let’s just agree to disagree and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.