Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the biggest reasons people argued for Jinbe back in the day was because of his bond with Luffy. And now we're seeing that same type of bond with Yamao. But instead of Luffy being the other member in the relationship, it's Momonosuke.

It's not simply that the Jinbe/Luffy depth of a bond doesn't exist for Yamao. It's the fact that it does exist but is currently being developed towards Momo, not Luffy nor someone that's a part of the crew. Luffy is to Jinbe what Momo is to Yamao. That's a killer blow to her chances of ever joining, unless Momo joins first. If Yamao's df is in fact the Byakko, then that fully seals the deal and makes her role as Momo's guardian completely undeniable.
Aren't you forgetting Yamato's relationship with Ace ? It has nothing to do with Momo. Their bond was created for the exact same reason the bond between Jinbe and Ace was created : to link them to Luffy through Ace's memory. And one of them is already part of the crew because of it.

The only thing missing for Yamato is not seeing Luffy as a substitute for Ace or just a D but admire him for who he is based on his own merits.
It already started with him removing the shackles which Ace could not do anything about (the metaphor is obvious, especially with Ace asking last chapter why her heart is chained as well) and will conclude when he shows his determination against her father.

J

Jo_Ndule

Plus it was confirmed that when Luffy stated that he wanted 10 people in his crew, he wasn’t including himself.
Yes.

At least Luffy wanted 10 people...
In NW :
9th nakama, Jinbei

Carrot or Yamato might join
So that makes it 10 crewmates
Or both might join.

I don't see anyone joining strawhats post wano
Only those who have been with luffy between FI-Wano are gonna be the last strawhats

Carrot is definitely gonna follow strawhats till EoS
Yamato might not since she knows a lot and seems to more connected to Momo

Yes.

At least Luffy wanted 10 people...
In NW :
9th nakama, Jinbei

Carrot or Yamato might join
So that makes it 10 crewmates
Or both might join.

I don't see anyone joining strawhats post wano
Only those who have been with luffy between FI-Wano are gonna be the last strawhats

Carrot is definitely gonna follow strawhats till EoS
Yamato might not since she knows a lot and seems to more connected to Momo
I’m personally a fan of the 4 SHs per Sea theory.

For example, 4 SHs joined in the East Blue, 4 SHs joined in Paradise, and 1 so far joined in the New World.

If we go by that pattern, 3 more should join in the New World and we should have 13 SHs total by the end of the series. But I’m not sure if we’ll have time for that. But we’ll see. I don’t personally think the series is actually ending in 5 years.

I just like the symmetry of it plus the parallelism with the Leader and the twelve disciples idea.

Aren't you forgetting Yamato's relationship with Ace ? It has nothing to do with Momo.
The bond with Ace doesn't change much about Yamao's character. She already wanted to go out to sea. Ace just pushed that desire further along. And aren't you forgetting that Oda already pulled this exact same thing at the beginning of the arc by giving Tama the same connection to Ace? Ace even promised to take her out to sea with him.
Their bond was created for the exact same reason the bond between Jinbe and Ace was created : to link them to Luffy through Ace's memory.
Sure. And if we hadn't already seen how that paid off then it could've meant something. Luffy very shortly after meeting Jinbe takes a real liking to him, remembers him and then Oda gives them moments together dotted throughout Marineford.

With Yamao, Luffy seems mildly annoyed with her, doesn't care enough about her to remember her name despite being told multiple times and getting corrected (something that's never once happened across any of the straw hats), he ignored her expectations to board his ship and pretty much all of the moments between the two were made out to be gags or insignificant. Those handcuffs, the massive deal that kept Yamao on Onigashima for 20 years was resolved almost immediately and even played off as a joke instead of this huge life changing moment for Yamao that she believed it to be.

The big climax of her arc of getting set free so that she can go on adventures happened a whopping...um...3 chapters after she was first introduced into the series...Or maybe, that's not actually the climax of her character arc and instead the arc that Oda gradually builds up overtime is a better insight into where her character is heading? In other words, the stuff she's doing right now with Momo and has been doing for the last 13 chapters straight.

Another reason the relationship with Ace was relevant is that he also had Daddy issues. And yep, you guessed it, that's something Momo also has in common relating to his own identity. We shouldn't be surprised if we get a moment with the two bonding further as they talk about this.

All of this taking place away from the battlefield. Away from the straw hats. Away from Luffy.

The bond with Ace doesn't change much about Yamao's character. She already wanted to go out to sea. Ace just pushed that desire further along. And aren't you forgetting that Oda already pulled this exact same thing at the beginning of the arc by giving Tama the same connection to Ace? Ace even promised to take her out to sea with him.

Sure. And if we hadn't already seen how that paid off then it could've meant something. Luffy very shortly after meeting Jinbe takes a real liking to him, remembers him and then Oda gives them moments together dotted throughout Marineford.

With Yamao, Luffy seems mildly annoyed with her, doesn't care enough about her to remember her name despite being told multiple times and getting corrected (something that's never once happened across any of the straw hats), he ignored her expectations to board his ship and pretty much all of the moments between the two were made out to be gags or insignificant. Those handcuffs, the massive deal that kept Yamao on Onigashima for 20 years was resolved almost immediately and even played off as a joke instead of this huge life changing moment for Yamao that she believed it to be.

The big climax of her arc of getting set free so that she can go on adventures happened a whopping...um...3 chapters after she was first introduced into the series...Or maybe, that's not actually the climax of her character arc and instead the arc that Oda gradually builds up overtime is a better insight into where her character is heading? In other words, the stuff she's doing right now with Momo and has been doing for the last 13 chapters straight.

Another reason the relationship with Ace was relevant is that he also had Daddy issues. And yep, you guessed it, that's something Momo also has in common relating to his own identity. We shouldn't be surprised if we get a moment with the two bonding further as they talk about this.

All of this taking place away from the battlefield. Away from the straw hats. Away from Luffy.
Hum, you’re making a lot of good points. I guess time will tell.

They are not.
Shanks has 10 commanders, same with Teach who has even Kuzan as ally.

Luffy needs 1-2 more crewmates to have 10/11 commanders.
+ the 7 fleet captains
Jinbe is the last permanent Strawhat. Yamato will just leave the borders to accompany them like Vivi and Carrot is garbage that adds nothing to crew, at least Chopper is a medic.

If you've got a problem with me calling her Yamao then maybe that says something about her standings as a candidate, since that's the nickname Luffy consistently calls her.

Would you prefer if I called her Yami or Namato instead?:happinesspunch:
Usually luffy will give people nicknames since he is not familiar with them. Back in the day before someone else join the crew. He calls crew member like
Nami- theft
Sanji- cook
Chopper-reindeer
Robin-you
Franky-speedo man
Brook- corbuckle
Jinbei-old man
The thing luffy you have earn his respect as individual person. Then he will call you by your real name. Hell he even gave Hancock nickname called her hamcock.

If you've got a problem with me calling her Yamao then maybe that says something about her standings as a candidate, since that's the nickname Luffy consistently calls her.

Would you prefer if I called her Yami or Namato instead?:happinesspunch:
I'm not saying that's not a potential issue (the nickname, not the nami clone stuff considering Vivi exists). I support both Yamato and Carrot, and I've seen good points for and against both. But you disqualify yourself from any serious discussion about it when you refer to her as "Yamao" or "That Nami clone" the same way Carrot detractors disqualify themselves when they call her "dumb rabbit" or "girl chopper".

i don't have anything against Carrot, only i find hilarious and forced, some arguments of the Carrot fans, against Yamato.
Well,it's not like there weren't any dumb anti-Carrot arguments either, sadly - it happens. Welcome to the level of discussion that people were pushing against Carrot for few years :kayneshrug:

The thing luffy you have earn his respect as individual person. Then he will call you by your real name. .
True! Good to see that Carrot got Luffy's respect with her limited time with him,what a good sign :steef:

Status
Not open for further replies.