Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I think oda is still saving yamato-kaido meeting for later. But it is surely will happen. She will fight alongside luffy next time because kaido was not meant to be defeated 1vs1
I think Yamato vs Kaido needs to be a 1 vs 1 due to the very personal nature of their conflict. Kind of like how Law got to fight Doflamingo 1 vs 1.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭

This has been repeated by multiple characters. It's not just a matter of protecting a young kid... Momo absolutely, positively, under no circumstances can afford to die. He has a very important role yet to play in the story. One that is most likely going to stretch beyond just the Wano arc.

If only this super important defenceless little kid had someone to protect him through all of this. His inherited guardians are old, crippled, and dying. If only he had a very powerful young guardian who was willing to give even their life to make sure he could survive to carry out his role. Someone who sympathises with Momo and harbours lifelong regrets about not being able to have protected him in the past... If only such a person existed...
The main problem with this is that Yamato is really unlikely to remain behind in Wano:
  • She longs to be free and to see the outside world.
  • Onigashima was a prison for her, and Wano would be a larger prison.
  • She wanted badly to sail with Ace.
  • Ace was the only one she has called friend and after he died, she placed all her hopes on Luffy.
  • She's been waiting for Luffy for a "very long time" and believes he is the Pirate that'll fulfill her dreams.

If Oda wanted to make Yamato Momo's guardian, he shouldn't have given her a dream that made her long to escape from Wano.

If Oda only wanted to make Yamato Momo's guardian, then her relationship with Ace was unnecessary. Yamato spent half her time with Momonosuke fantasising about Ace and how she longed to have travelled with him.

The Ace connection seems to only exist so that Yamato would be proactive in seeking out Luffy.

Oda spent 3 chapters on Yamato fantasising about Ace. He didn't need to devote that much attention to it if he didn't intend for her to leave with Luffy.

Let's ignore the Luffy related reasons why Yamato wouldn't remain on Wano:
  • Ignore the imprisonment.
  • Ignore that she was waiting for Luffy in particular.
  • Ignore that she asked Luffy to let her aboard his ship.
  • Ignore that Luffy removed the shackles Kaido placed on her.
  • Ignore that she's following instructions from Luffy.
  • Ignore the concerns that she's shown towards Luffy.

Ignore all of that for now. Let's pretend that you have a reason for all of the above that isn't: "Yamato leaves Wano with Luffy". Why does Yamato have such a strong connection to Ace? What purpose does it serve?
  • Why does she say that Luffy reminds her of Ace?
  • Why does she tell Luffy that she wanted to set sail with Ace and his friends so badly?
  • Why is Ace the only one she calls "friend"?
  • Why did she spend 14 pages with Momonosuke fantasising about Ace?
  • Why was Ace the one to save her heart and remove the mental shackles Kaido placed on her?
  • Why did Ace ask her to join his crew?
  • Why did Ace tell her about Luffy?
  • Why did she learn of Luffy's true dream and that he said the same words as the Pirate King?
  • Why did she and Ace promise to meet up again in future?
  • Why does she only smile when talking about or thinking about Ace?

The most impactful event in the last decade of Yamato's life was her meeting with Ace. And the only development from that meeting was: "wait for Luffy":

Ace is bar Oden, the largest influence on Yamato's life. Why did Oda spend that time showing us how much Ace meant to Yamato?

I am not joking when I say that most components of Yamato's character literally only exist for her to become Nakama. The Ace one is a major one and it serves no other purpose.

@Garp the Fist: said that Carrot 4 Nakama requires the bizarre supposition that Oda is intentionally misleading his readers:
whereas with Carrot you have to go for the bizarre argument that Oda is ignoring the next Strawhat in some baffling attempt to mislead readers.
I think Yamato is an even more extreme example of this. If Yamato is not intended to be Nakama then her entire Ace flashback with Momonosuke was pointless. Literally the most important moment of her life in the last decade was for the sole purpose of her asking Luffy to let her aboard.

If Oda doesn't want to make Yamato Nakama then he really wasted an inordinate amount of panels on her.

Last edited:
You ever notice how all of the straw hats are present when Luffy asks someone to join the crew? And this is usually during their first appearance. The crew is finally together after some time, and just based off of previous times where someone joins the crew, the crew was never separated. I think this is because Oda wants to show everyone's reaction, like for example when Jinbe came back. The crew wasn't separated when they all met Jinbe. The crew wasn't separated when Jinbe finally officially joined. If Oda wanted Carrot to join, it should've already been bought up at least when Jinbe came back, because the crew is back together.

You ever notice how all of the straw hats are present when Luffy asks someone to join the crew? And this is usually during their first appearance. The crew is finally together after some time, and just based off of previous times where someone joins the crew, the crew was never separated. I think this is because Oda wants to show everyone's reaction, like for example when Jinbe came back. The crew wasn't separated when they all met Jinbe. The crew wasn't separated when Jinbe finally officially joined. If Oda wanted Carrot to join, it should've already been bought up at least when Jinbe came back, because the crew is back together.
Eh i think bringing up carrot joining in that moment would take away from Jinbe’s moment of finally joining after so long. Plus if she is going to join, her storyline regarding Pedro’s words needs to be resolved first, just like Jinbe’s storyline had to be resolved before he joined .
And, at least for me, Carrot being pretty much in the center of that SH reunion panel said a lot (as well as her being featured cheering with the other SHs when he first appeared)

The main problem with this is that Yamato is really unlikely to remain behind in Wano:
I think she's leaving with Momo though. Not just staying on the island.
If Oda wanted to make Yamato Momo's guardian, he shouldn't have given her a dream that made her long to escape from Wano.
She can do both since Momo's not staying on Wano.
@Garp the Fist: said that Carrot 4 Nakama requires the bizarre supposition that Oda is intentionally misleading his readers:
That's quite literally what Oda's known for, lol. No idea what Garp's on about.
If Oda doesn't want to make Yamato Nakama then he really wasted an inordinate amount of panels on her.
And what would you say about Carrot who's spent far more time with the crew and in the series than Yamao?

Eh i think bringing up carrot joining in that moment would take away from Jinbe’s moment of finally joining after so long. Plus if she is going to join, her storyline regarding Pedro’s words needs to be resolved first, just like Jinbe’s storyline had to be resolved before he joined .
And, at least for me, Carrot being pretty much in the center of that SH reunion panel said a lot (as well as her being featured cheering with the other SHs when he first appeared)
She hasn’t been shown throughout the battlefield battlefield her fight was basically all screen by oda. Having Cat Viper “dealing with suppose person responsible for Pedro death “undermine Carrot motivation drive in actually joining straw hats in the first place. In other words there no scenarios for her to get stronger or be better for Luffy in the future. It feels like she would be better off staying with the minks rather than continuing her journey with rest straw hats on their adventures. Put you this way most of the time usually Luffy impacts his crew on personal level by defeating the boss or possible defeating enemy that has troubled them on personal level. With Luffy or any straw hats not fighting against or defeating that foe. It loses that sense motivation she needs to get stronger for the main character and the rest crew. In other words, it loses it’s meaning and there chance character grow from this experience alongside with them relate to them in terms there upcoming struggle futures. Additionally her backstory still lacks substance that needs to be resolved regarding her relationship with Pedro, the dawn or possibly Jack’s arrival from her perspective. In these 3 arcs she has been a part of none of them have been centered around Carrot So far in the story.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
And what would you say about Carrot who's spent far more time with the crew and in the series than Yamao?
I thought Carrot would join before Wano. She hasn't had the presence I would expect from a prospective nakama. But the situations aren't the same.

The Ace backstory is backstory. It's part of Yamato's history and narrative. Oda didn't have to add it. There was nothing that required him to give Yamato such a backstory with Ace.

It has literally no bearing on her interactions with Momonosuke. Momonosuke didn't need to know about Yamato and Ace's relationship. That scene only existed for us readers to see what Ace meant to Yamato. It was of no use to Momonosuke himself.

Like Yamato's interactions with Momonosuke were:
  1. Scaring him away by claiming to be Oden
  2. Being a meat shield to protect him from Sasaki's Armoured Division
  3. Declaring that her name was Yamato and that she would die for him
  4. Declaring that he must survive to guide the world to its Dawn
  5. Fantasising about Ace
    • This was basically all they did together when they were not running from enemies. The one time Yamato actually sat down to talk with Momonosuke it was so that Momonosuke could be a vehicle to deliver the Ace flashback.
  6. Handing him Oden's journal
  7. Asking about Luffy
  8. Abandoning him to assist Luffy

#1 was bad comedy.
#2 and #3 helped flesh out and develop Yamato's character and to hype her combat ability.
#4 and #6 fleshed out Momo and explains his importance.
#5 was 14+ pages and it was the majority of dialogue that was shared between Yamato and Momonosuke.
  • Not an explanation of why she would die for him.
  • Not an explanation of the Dawn of the World or why he was so important to it.
  • Not an explanation of some of the details of the journal.
  • Nope, Yamato fantasising about Ace, and how it's actually Ace's brother Luffy and not Ace that's the child of prophecy.
#7 & #8 was Yamato moving on to more important business now that Momonosuke had outlived his role in her narrative.

If Momonosuke was really as important to Yamato's narrative as you're claiming he wouldn't have been reduced to a vehicle for Yamato to fantasize about Ace and Luffy.

If Yamato's purpose is to truly become Momonosuke's guardian, she wouldn't have spent her time with him fantasising about Ace and Luffy.

If Yamato's purpose was so tied up with Momonosuke's she wouldn't have abandoned him for the chance to help Luffy vs Kaido.

Last edited:
She hasn’t been shown throughout the battlefield battlefield her fight was basically all screen by oda. Having Cat Viper “dealing with suppose person responsible for Pedro death “undermine Carrot motivation drive in actually joining straw hats in the first place. In other words there no scenarios for her to get stronger or be better for Luffy in the future. It feels like she would be better off staying with the minks rather than continuing her journey with rest straw hats on their adventures. Put you this way most of the time usually Luffy impacts his crew on personal level by defeating the boss or possible defeating enemy that has troubled them on personal level. With Luffy or any straw hats not fighting against or defeating that foe. It loses that sense motivation she needs to get stronger for the main character and the rest crew. In other words, it loses it’s meaning and there chance character grow from this experience alongside with them relate to them in terms there upcoming struggle futures. Additionally her backstory still lacks substance that needs to be resolved regarding her relationship with Pedro, the dawn or possibly Jack’s arrival from her perspective. In these 3 arcs she has been a part of none of them have been centered around Carrot So far in the story.
i think people are jumping the gun on the nekomamushi thing because he hasn’t even gotten to Peros yet so we have no idea how that is gonna play out. I don’t think Oda has ever portrayed “revenge” as a good thing, so it’s possible Neko may lose

I think this is kind of beating a dead horse at this point, but Pedro told carrot to keep moving forward + that one day she’ll realize the important of the SHs voyage. She’s doing the opposite of moving forward, which is why she lost to peros.
she still hasn’t realized the importance of the SHs, so I think if she’s joining her development with luffy will come when she has the realization.

we also see in her short flashback that Pedro passes down roger’s words about “everyone’s moment to shine”. That’s why us carrot fans are so insistent about carrot having her moment at some point where her purpose will become clear and she’ll become a SH. we could be wrong but I don’t think Oda would have dragged out this (minor) storyline for over 100 chapters now for nothing.

I think Peros’ words are very telling as well, because if an protagonist is telling a hero they should do something, chances are the hero is gonna do the opposite. Carrot isn’t gonna go back to Zou and do nothing, she’s going to get stronger and protect help protect her friends (the SHs) on their voyage.

I dont think oda has done a perfect job with making the reader invested in carrot, but i also don’t think it’s fair to put a time limit on Carrot’s storyline in an arc that’s so jam packed with other characters and plot lines. Also oda has been known to flesh out his female characters way after their first appearance, so carrot getting more development later wouldn’t be unprecedented. Obviously I could be wrong about carrot joining the crew, but I think at the very least she’ll do something significant as payoff for this plot line.

I thought Carrot would join before Wano. She hasn't had the presence I would expect from a prospective nakama. But the situations aren't the same.

The Ace backstory is backstory. It's part of Yamato's history and narrative. Oda didn't have to add it. There was nothing that required him to give Yamato such a backstory with Ace.

It has literally no bearing on her interactions with Momonosuke. Momonosuke didn't need to know about Yamato and Ace's relationship. That scene only existed for us readers to see what Ace meant to Yamato. It was of no use to Momonosuke himself.

Like Yamato's interactions with Momonosuke were:
  1. Scaring him away by claiming to be Oden
  2. Being a meat shield to protect him from Sasaki's Armoured Division
  3. Declaring that her name was Yamato and that she would die for him
  4. Declaring that he must survive to guide the world to its Dawn
  5. Fantasising about Ace
    • This was basically all they did together when they were not running from enemies. The one time Yamato actually sat down to talk with Momonosuke it was so that Momonosuke could be a vehicle to deliver the Ace flashback.
  6. Handing him Oden's journal
  7. Asking about Luffy
  8. Abandoning him to assist Luffy

#1 was bad comedy.
#2 and #3 helped flesh out and develop Yamato's character and to hype her combat ability.
#4 and #6fleshed out Momo and explains his importance.
#5 was 14+ pages and it was the majority of dialogue that was shared between Yamato and Momonosuke. No explanation of why she would die for him.
  • Not an explanation of the Dawn of the World or why he was so important to it.
  • Not an explanation of some of the details of the journal.
  • Nope, Yamato fantasising about Ace, and how it's actually Ace's brother Luffy and not Ace that's the child of prophecy.
#7 & #8 was Yamato moving on to more important business now that Momonosuke had outlived his role in her narrative.

If Momonosuke was really as important to Yamato's narrative as you're claiming he wouldn't have been reduced to a vehicle for Yamato to fantasize about Ace and Luffy.

If Yamato's purpose is to truly become Momonosuke's guardian, she wouldn't have spent her time with him fantasising about Ace and Luffy.

If Yamato's purpose was so tied up with Momonosuke's she wouldn't have abandoned him for the chance to help Luffy vs Kaido.
Yamato is also shown to be very Impulsive and impatient when hanging out with momo. She is eager and willingness to help Luffy rather than baby sitting a child. So, is very likely she isn't going stay with momo go anywhere with him. She is going protect him while protecting other members straw hats until they recover. Is very similar situation fight like piccolo and goku vs raditz or Goku and Piccolo vs Freiza. In those moments one the character charge for there attack. While other one was holding them off for time being.

Last edited:
i think people are jumping the gun on the nekomamushi thing because he hasn’t even gotten to Peros yet so we have no idea how that is gonna play out. I don’t think Oda has ever portrayed “revenge” as a good thing, so it’s possible Neko may lose

I think this is kind of beating a dead horse at this point, but Pedro told carrot to keep moving forward + that one day she’ll realize the important of the SHs voyage. She’s doing the opposite of moving forward, which is why she lost to peros.
she still hasn’t realized the importance of the SHs, so I think if she’s joining her development with luffy will come when she has the realization.

we also see in her short flashback that Pedro passes down roger’s words about “everyone’s moment to shine”. That’s why us carrot fans are so insistent about carrot having her moment at some point where her purpose will become clear and she’ll become a SH. we could be wrong but I don’t think Oda would have dragged out this (minor) storyline for over 100 chapters now for nothing.

I think Peros’ words are very telling as well, because if an protagonist is telling a hero they should do something, chances are the hero is gonna do the opposite. Carrot isn’t gonna go back to Zou and do nothing, she’s going to get stronger and protect help protect her friends (the SHs) on their voyage.

I dont think oda has done a perfect job with making the reader invested in carrot, but i also don’t think it’s fair to put a time limit on Carrot’s storyline in an arc that’s so jam packed with other characters and plot lines. Also oda has been known to flesh out his female characters way after their first appearance, so carrot getting more development later wouldn’t be unprecedented. Obviously I could be wrong about carrot joining the crew, but I think at the very least she’ll do something significant as payoff for this plot line.
THe question, is WHy do we need to be more interested in Carrot?
We've already seen all she has, and all she can do with the Crew, and she fits, has a role, and has a good relationship with the Crew...
OFC we can have more, but is it needed??

I'm fine with a Character like Carrot with the Crew...Doesn't disturb, has a role, can help, it's funny... If you want a Jinbe2.0, Robin 2.0 Okey, but i don't think we need that XD

THe question, is WHy do we need to be more interested in Carrot?
We've already seen all she has, and all she can do with the Crew, and she fits, has a role, and has a good relationship with the Crew...
OFC we can have more, but is it needed??

I'm fine with a Character like Carrot with the Crew...Doesn't disturb, has a role, can help, it's funny... If you want a Jinbe2.0, Robin 2.0 Okey, but i don't think we need that XD
I agree, one of the things I like about carrot is that she’s a lighthearted character with good chemistry with the crew. And to me it’s seems like her character was built to contrast Nami and robin a bit, where she’s outgoing and excited about things in the same way Luffy and chopper are, as we see on WCI with the candy and with her reaction to chopper in Franky’s tank.
I personally don’t think she needs a more tragic backstory, nor do I think her character warrants it. She just needs to realize her purpose/motivation :kayneshrug:

That flashback we see from Carrot is remarkably similar tama, chu chu, paulie, and bartolomeo that just one page backstory. That has a lot desire history with that certain Individual. In other words this still leaves little details surround there relationship as whole. For me is not worthy nakama status. Usually when comes flashback they have much more more details Surrounding their characters and their history with that individual.

Usually when comes female’s straw hats they give you some dialogue, or other characters talk about the certain individual about their backstory. In later arcs we would eventually know everything about what they meant back then in previous arcs. It would all be fully flesh out in the flashback and in the arc general that revolve around them . Carrot has not done no such thing and she has never been told anything regarding her personal life.

That is the same circumstance that people thought about Rebecca. Rebeeca was not strong or powerful hanging out with best of them. Her father had bailed her out fight against diamante alongside with robin. In this case cat viper deals with perrosprow you might as well form nox pirates under mink division under captain carrot. Since the fact that she won't be able to use her full potential when the moon is full. There is going a lot instances where the straw hats are going to fight during day. Where it ends up being cloudy and the moon isn't full. Which would make impossible for someone like carrot transform at that point in time. Carrot you might have history with straw hats 3 arcs at this point time but you still lack A story centric art that's about you and you are not strong enough hang out with best of them. Despite her having role being "look out" there other character that can do that already. Carrot base form and suslong it has more supporting capabilities might as well join the grand fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.