Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oden didn't have a role in Roger's crew, why would Yamato have it?
normal crews don't have a role for each member. the straw hat gang is different because they are the main characters and because they are a very small crew so each member needs to be special and have they own role.
kurohige crew was the only other that also worked like this but that was before the crew became larger in impel down.

Role/job could go any number of ways, from the simple first recruit and last recruit fighter, arbitrary talent role, and all the way up to joke volume answer like Role: Oden.

The idea came to me looking back at how Luffy was told he was needed to conserve his strength, and this is in addition to when he almost used Gear Fourth on Ulti, which uses up a lot of energy as well, and may have contributed to why he ran out of stamina in Round 2. I suppose some say Sanji and Jinbe did well doing that, but I think it still would help for them to conserve their strength as well, and would help make for less bickering for that matter.

And post TS we rarely ever focused on their jobs in the crew.

When was the last time Sanji cooked something on thousand sunny?
When was the las time we saw Nami draw maps or navigate?
And then repeat this for every SH

Jobs of SH are sidelined ever since post TS. Yamato not having a job wouldn't be that noticeable anyway other than pleasing OCD of people
We see sanji cooking everytime and nami navigate all time too whenever they're sailing

Sidelined or not, It gives them identity

Plus, it does not necessary to be happened everytime. Enies lobby and PH remind us of usopp role. Everytime we see poneglyph remind us of robin role
Post automatically merged:

Those event taken place at the beginning of WCI. In the same arc, a helmsman declares to join the crew and a cook also declares to rejoin the crew

Most of the roles already foreshadowed except for marksman and archaeologist (maybe it's too random). Combatant, navigator, doctor, cook, musician, shipwright, helmsman already foreshadowed beforehand

I already give my prediction on my early post

Edit: poneglyph reader was also foreshadowed too when luffy zoro chopper found the first poneglyph. Maybe that is the purpose of them found it and the purpose of the event be shown

Last edited:
Well the latest chapter Yamato herself said that she was gonna sail on Luffy's ship, so yes she is joining the crew.

As for Carrot all i'm hearing is crickets, i mean the last time we heard from her was when she got off-paneled by Perospero.

Saying that Yamato won't join the straw hats because she isn't unique now because Zeus can turn into a club for Nami is such a shallow argument.

Nami isn't a melee fighter, she is strictly a ranged fighter and a glass cannon. That is very different from Yamato who is a melee, physical and close combat fighter. Once Yamato joins she will be the only female melee fighter that can take real damage. Oda has always had trouble writing fights for Nami and Robin because their bodies aren't strong enough to take hits. Giving us not fights, but exploiting hax at the expense of fighting choreography and their enemies. Its for these reasons why both Nami and Robin rarely get fights, and even when they do its very boring to read because its just a game of trying to survive the enemy and exploiting their weakness, trying to take them out with one move. Along with all the asspulls that come with it.

In contrast to Nami, Yamato's club + zoan devil fruit + haki will make her fights far more easier to write and visually appealing than either Nami or Robin, just like how Oda always does it for the Monster Trio.

Saying that Yamato won't join the straw hats because she isn't unique now because Zeus can turn into a club for Nami is such a shallow argument.

Nami isn't a melee fighter, she is strictly a ranged fighter and a glass cannon.
Nami was originally planned to be a melee fighter and the very first time we see her fight in the series in orange town it's as such.

Her baton is already a type of club to begin with. Just because it's such a unique weapon that it can also do far more than just hit and swing unlike Yamao's, doesn't invalidate what it actually is.

Oda's now given Nami a power up that lets her change her baton into heavier melee weapons and also that makes it easier to swing. It's so odd to think that Oda gave Nami this power up, only for her to never actually use it. Obviously her main fighting style will always be her weather manipulation. That will never change. But we can also consider a more physical role from Nami too considering the nature of the boost to quite literally change her tact into other close range weapons.

And again, why is THIS the power up Oda is giving Nami when Yamao is supposedly just around the corner. She has a club, and hits far stronger and faster than Nami, yet Nami's weapon is so much more personalised and special that it completely shows up Yamao's own weapon. Why would Oda take that tiny sliver of originality away from Yamao just before she joins? He should be making her more distinct, not less.

My argument isn't simply, "Ah Nami can now use a club, therefore no club user can ever join the crew". Brook uses a sword and we already have Zoro... The point is to highlight how unique straw hat weapons are, and that Yamao's just can't begin to compare. Whilst Brook may also use a sword, he has a completely different type of swordsmanship to Zoro. His sword is concealed within a cane. He uses fast fencing jabs and also uses his sword to play music to put people to sleep. Yamao has absolutely nothing like that. All her club can do is swing and hit. Which Nami's can also do. That's the difference.

Last edited:
Club arguments are something else, it's like thinking Luffy was leaving the crew after the clima tact gained the ability to stretch.
This comparison completely flops since Luffy has an enormous arsenal of things that only he can do. Overlap in the crew has absolutely nothing to do with my point. My point is that Nami's weapon can do EVERYTHING Yamao's can but far outshines it in traits from creativity to functions.

Take Brook's sword:

1. He can play the violin to put people to sleep using his sword
2. He can freeze people using his sword
3. His sword is a concealed weapon and doubles as a cane
4. He uses a swift fencing style

Despite also being a swordsman, all of these skills power wise and aesthetically make him very different from Zoro. These are all skills that only Brook can do with a sword in the crew... Now do the same for Yamao. Name a single skill or feature of her club that is unique to Yamao which Nami's new tact cannot do. A single solitary technique or design feature that makes the weapon unusual or special.

I can name 4 for Brook. Now try and name even one for Yamao.

I still have a foot behind on Yamato in the crew. There are a lot of things that don't make sense.

She was still introduced too late in the story and has no interactions with the mugiwaras, and hasn't had any adventures with them yet, and we're almost 90% of Luffy's journey completed.
The grand scheme of things is Oda presents a pirate crew that builds their way, taking their adventures and pushing their limits on each island, suppose she enters the end of wano, then it's like Yamato just joined the crew just to complete one path that has already been taken, and not giving the audience the feeling that she has ventured and interacted with the mugiwaras long enough for her to be considered a MUGIWARA. Also, Oda never announces someone's entry into the crew hastily, he always makes Luffy make an unusual invitation, to Yamato declaring himself to join the crew, I feel it's a great bait Oda is giving the reader, he knows how the discussions about new nakama are heated.
There's also the thing about Oda giving two syllables to mugiwara names, while Yamato has four syllables, it's a totally different dynamic.

I can see her having two destinations.
There are several hints that intertwine Yamato's fate with Ace, like the cover of volume 100, since it was said that wano would surpass marineford, by Oda's own words, we all suspected that we would have some shocking death, that would shake the manga industry, Yamato it may be this character that can make Luffy remember Ace, and then his death would be a final fuel for Luffy to defeat Kaido.

Also, another way I can link to Yamato, is her destiny linked to Oden's, she can be the new guardian of shogun Momonosuke. Yamato protected Momo for much of wano, and we know how important Momo is to the story, since he has the power to command beings like Zunisha. And something that might make Yamato important to the story, as Momo is also likely to be related to big things in the future.

Im sorry. Not really against yamato but I realized something that kinda funny

First time is accident
(Face)

Second times is coincidence
(Style is different but some say the weapons are similar)

Third times is blessing.... Or conspiracy?
(Neko?)
:crazwhat::saden:

My point exactly, lmao. :sanmoji:

"Damage" is not a skill or a technique. It's a stat. Yamao's weapon doesn't have some special skill like Urouge or Hawkins that manipulate damage in some way. She is simply physically strong. That's separate from her fighting style and weapon which is what we're talking about.

I'm asking how the club can be used for a specific skill. Like being able to freeze things. Being able to produce electricity. Being able to spontaneously combust. ANYTHING. Anything that Yamao's club or fighting technique allows her to do that Nami's own club cannot.

I can see her having two destinations.
There are several hints that intertwine Yamato's fate with Ace, like the cover of volume 100, since it was said that wano would surpass marineford, by Oda's own words, we all suspected that we would have some shocking death, that would shake the manga industry, Yamato it may be this character that can make Luffy remember Ace, and then his death would be a final fuel for Luffy to defeat Kaido.

Also, another way I can link to Yamato, is her destiny linked to Oden's, she can be the new guardian of shogun Momonosuke. Yamato protected Momo for much of wano, and we know how important Momo is to the story, since he has the power to command beings like Zunisha. And something that might make Yamato important to the story, as Momo is also likely to be related to big things in the future.
i too am not convinced yamato will join but this chapter makes me think for the first time oda can be planning that.
one possible destination is becoming the new captain. i think it is not a coincidence oda made luffy become friends with katakuri and yamato.
but yamato will not die she was introduced too late for her death to be a shock. many readers like her but they won't cry for her death so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.