Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People think Yamato's development won't include shedding the Oden image? One of the main themes of Wano is people clinging to legacy and letting it shape their identity.
We also had Momo just declare his full name instead of crying about his dad. One Piece is big on identity

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
So, Yamato's development will include that change, but can't include a reason for him to not Join?
What?

We also had Momo just declare his full name instead of crying about his dad. One Piece is big on identity
That's part of the legacy theme.

Momonosuke is the literal son of Oden and said he is proud to be his son. Kaido wanted Momo for forsake his name.

The Scabbards are the literal scabbard of Oden and are proud of it. They repeatedly turned down offers to forsake Oden and join Kaido.

Yamato however is just fascinated by Oden. She has no confidence as Yamato so she relies on the Oden identity. When Yamato came at Momo and Shinobu as Oden, they thought she was a crazy person and ran. Only when she spoke to them as Yamato did they come around. Her Oden stick is even portrayed as annoying even to Luffy, who only started to trust her when she spoke to him as Yamato.

What?

That's part of the legacy theme.

Momonosuke is the literal son of Oden and said he is proud to be his son. Kaido wanted Momo for forsake his name.
I get it, but look at it from the flashback. When asked his name Momo couldn’t even say it and all he did was cry about Oden and it disappointed him. Now in the present time he proudly declared who he was and what is his name. His identity is more than being Kozuki Oden’s son

The Oden stuff is just for her to have a character conflict. I don’t see why people think it’s permanent
I suppose signs of Yamato shrugging the Oden persona off hasn’t been expressed that much. It has been suggested that Yamato took on Oden’s persona as a mean of carrying on his will and gaining freedom, but that has yet to be explored in-depth.
Post automatically merged:

She's not claiming she's not Yamato though. Remember "I am Oden, but my other name is Yamato!" There's no indication that she doesn't accept who she is.
It might be meant to show how conflicted she is, like her saying to Luffy “Fine, maybe you’re more Oden than me. How can I be Oden and not be free?” though again, more exploration would be appreciated.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I get it, but look at it from the flashback. When asked his name Momo couldn’t even say it and all he did was cry about Oden and it disappointed him. Now in the present time he proudly declared who he was and what is his name. His identity is more than being Kozuki Oden’s son
Momo's identity IS being Oden's son. Momo was overwhelmed by the responsibility of being Oden's son and was plagued by insecurity. He felt he wasn't worthy and tried very hard to feign capability.

At his execution, he finally accepted that he is flawed and shouldn't be ashamed of it. Hell, Kaido repeatedly called Oden a failure to make Momo feel ashamed and forsake his dad.

Oh. Yeah Wapol shot him but I don’t really see that as clashing.
We can say the same with Usopp's and Nami's case (depending on which arc do you consider her joining), especially the latter if one considers the Orange Town arc to be her recruitment arc...

EDIT: Just to add, with Franky's case, it doesn't matter who a person considers to be the main villain in that arc (he "clashed" with both Spandam and Lucci)...

Don’t you all know what these Carrot-stans are trying to do? They’re not stupid. They see the writing on the wall and know that Yamato is being hyped as the next strawhat, but they have spent years stanning for a character who’s never shown any interest in joining the crew. Carrot just wanted an overnight adventure, and they’re trying to force her onto the crew for reasons. They just don’t want to admit they’re wrong and lose seeing their baby Carrot for the next five-seven years. Even though they’ve only seen her once in the past year and don’t seem to have a problem with her absence.

So what do they do? They craft elaborate, tailor made criteria that only Carrot matches and ignore everything else. Why would they do this? So when Oda inevitably has the crew sail away without Carrot, with or without Yamato, they can lament that Oda’s a terrible writer and he burned them as fans. It’s not their fault they believed Carrot would join (which was never going to happen), it’s Oda’s. It’s laying the groundwork to gaslight us later into feeling sorry for them and complain about Oda being a shit writer, and I ain’t falling for it.

I wouldn’t have a problem with entertaining the idea in most cases. Most fans like both Carrot and Yamato. Hell, I have fun imagining people like Tama or Hancock on the crew, but I don’t think they’re going to ever happen. It’s pretty difficult not to like the good guys Oda has created. The problem is when people ignore, misconstrue, and straight up mansplain Yamato’s true intentions. Carrot takes a lot of leaps of logic to argue for her to be on the crew. Yamato has literally asked to join and needs that want addressed by the end of the arc. One is clearly worth discussing since it needs to be addressed, the other is pure conjecture. It’s that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.