Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first post here. I think its pretty comfortably gonna be Yamato. Marketing stuff aside, Oda has gone out of his way to make this character in your face from introduction. She's been a main character since the raid started and sucks up enough panel time for her to overcome even characters present since act 1. The main point I'd say is her stated dream and declaration in 1016.

There's no reasonable explanation for why Oda has this for her not to go out to sea. This is a clear and earnest declaration of her dream, which has nothing to do with the Oden persona. Ace went out of his way to make her speak her true feelings for a reason so this isn't a throwaway statement. He and later the three samurai also encourage this dream so why would this be something that's changed given all of this?

There's also no real explanation for why Oda makes her declare her sailing with Luffy besides red herring, which isn't an argument. It's not a wild claim nor is it something obviously not meant to happen plotwise like a "I'm going to kill Kaido" statement. We see her complete faith in Luffy and Ace flat out told her to look forward to him. So, given that she'll sail and go on adventures, why would it not be with the person who freed her from her chains, who she bets is the person Oden waited for, who left her speechless twice so far and constantly proved himself right before her eyes? Momo is not an alternative since he'll be staying in Wano as the shogun for one and she chose Luffy despite bonding with him and knowing about his future role through the journal.

Sorry if this post is too long. Would like to hear any counters to these if Oda meant for her to stay in Wano.
Great first post! Nicely sums up why we don't need to have intricate arguments over semantics. Yamato's case is too strong for that.

100% chance achieved. There's no counter to this. Even the most diehard Carrot fan is lying to themself if they think Yamato isn't joining.
No dude. This is clearly another case of Oda trying to subvert expectations. Oda is trying to imply that Yamato is a red herring, why else would this poster be red? Pay no attention to what she’s saying in the panel.

When making this article for your blog, make sure you explain:

1. Why Carrot had a happy life without struggle unlike the other SHs

2. Why Carrot doesn't need an arc about her with ties to the villain and themes

3. Why Carrot doesn't need to be foreshadowed like the other SHs

4. Why Carrot moments is unique only to her despite other characters doing the same, more or something similar

5. Why people should bank on the idea that Oda will do the opposite of what he's been doing before to carefully craft Carrot and Carrot alone

The burden of proof is on you to prove why it's logical to think Oda's current treatment of Carrot is just a trick when he's never done it before.

I will reply to those argument to begin with. I expect everyone to read very carefully what I'm about to say because this is important and I would hate to repeat myself again. So:

1. Carrot had a happy life on Zou because that's how she was crafted. Her story only begins at the arrival of the strawhats. Meaning that her "past" begins at the same time. It's means her past is - without further evidences - her present. That's why you don't need to search for a distant past for Carrot, it most likely, doesn't exist. You will understand later why this is different for Carrot.

2. This is a strawman. Noone ever said that Carrot didn't need an arc tied to the villain. In fact, she might need one. What we are saying is that this arc doesn't need to happen now. It might happen later. Like the arc of the two girl in the crew.

3. This is a strawman. Noone ever said that Carrot doesn't need to be shadowed (and not foreshadow, to understand why, see this link). Carrot needs to be shadowed like all the strawhat.

But Spoiler: She WAS. Her depiction by Oda as a look out is the clearest example of shadowing there is. For a good reason: no living character ever took part as an active crewmate on the Sunny. This shadowing was depicted in more than 40 panel and narratively well crafted. You will understand later why.

4. I didn't understand that question.

5. I explained ealier why you should bank on Oda doing something different for Carrot. Let me explain it again (copy paste)

Why the tenth would not have a backstory ? Because of three things:

- Time
- Context
- Story lengh

Those three parameters put together are making the next Nakama as one of the most important revelation we will get in the next dozens of chapters. The hype, the fans theories, thefanbase.. everything is on another level right now.. that's why I think the revelation of the next crewmember should be as surprising as possible.

Remember, backstories are just a tool, what Oda is really working with is something far deeper that that. And that "matter" doesn't need to be set in the past. It can be setup in the present. I explained in detail why that is here (I won't copy paste this article, it's too much)

6(final): You made a mistake about the burden of proof for one reason: You are mistaking an aspect of the story for something else. Oda DID already use the trick of decoy and redhearing before. That's what he did with Vivi. Weither you like it or not, Vivi is narratively a Red hearing. Oda crafted the end of the story as a promise for her to join the crew. This promise never happened. And a decoy because this storyline prevented us from potentially seeing (the lambda readers) the other possibility, another member in the crew. Vivi was a decoy. And I think Yamato is one too.

--

------------
------------ ok that's it for this post let's look at the previous one now -----------
------------

Holy jesus....good thing I'm posted at the back desk today...

See this is an issue. You label someone's argument as bad faith without evidence, and uses it as an excuse to not properly address it. Thanks for proving the point.

And objective facts cant simply be labeled as bad faith to avoid addressing them

How arrogant. Once again, claim bad faith without evidence and say you don't have to prove it?

No YOU have to prove it.

Carrot has never shown any unique lookout ability so how exactly is it SH material? She gonna be the only SH who doesn't need to be exceptional at their role?

The Daifuku panel isn't the only thing people brought up

As a member, you should know that getting banned from ArlongPark for being toxic should spark some self reflection instead of accusing them and us of being Yamato protectors.

You argue in bad faith by definition.

Again, how arrogant can you be? Everyone gave proper counter arguments to everything you said. You deflected by labeling them as bad faith.

*got perma banned for being toxic*

Evidence that Oda has already starting something he's never done before?

What multi-layered characterization do you speak of? Cause simply showing happiness, anger, fear etc. like everyone else isn't an example.

Carrot's active post is literally some by everyone else and requires 2 people according to Oda himself, and you claiming its narrative evidence without said evidence doesn't counter the author.

Vivi wasn't a red herring for Robin. Do you honestly believe that Vivi's entire character was to make Robin's entry shocking? How exactly does Vivi joining or not change Robin's shock entry? The result would've been the same whether Vivi stayed or not.

Carrot is a minor character who contradicts Oda's story telling tools if she is to be a SH. Robin was the secondary antagonist of Alabasta and the only one who could finds the true history.

No one ignored a thing. Once again, you claim that Carrot and Carrot alone is gonna get some special treatment.

Sanji was part of the main conflict and themes of the arc. He got key information out of the main antagonist. How is that the same as being completely off screened in a losing battle, completely separated from the main conflicts and climaxes of the arc?

Sanji was important in Little Garden. Carrot is not

Or you know, people believe it's an actual minus? How about address it instead of accusing people of deception?

You are incredibly arrogant to think that your understanding of the story is better than everyone who replies to you, especially how you're advocating for Oda to completely change his story telling habits just for Carrot.

Even saying you don't have to prove your assumptions....
--

I'll first adress the problems in the post .. then I will go into the analysis:

1. Calling out a bad faith argument doesn't need necessarally evidences if the evidences are in the story and the storyline is clear enough. For example, I can say that taking the panel of Carrot seeing Daifuku to minus the impact of Carrot as a look out is a bad faith argument.. and that without evidences. Why ?(and here I will state the evidences for once) Because the narration of this panel is not intended to make Carrot look bad as a look out, but to make you understand that the strawhat crew are in range of the ships. Carrot could have be gifted with the eyes of Viola, she would have been surprised the same way. That's why, by taking the panel out of the narrative context your are taking the argument on the bad faith realm. > But I do not need to say all of that, as this is implied by the story very clearly.

2. I don't need to prove that Carrot is a bad look out. Why ? Because she was depicted as a good look out in the serie.

3. Carrot DID show unique look out ability when she jump hundreds of meter into the air. This feature is a unique look out ability. Only a few character are capable of doing such a thing. And she is better than any strawhat at this. Even Sanji. I will explain why in detail later.

4. I wasn't ban from arlong park for being toxic, but because (one) I replied to a toxic person who was literally insulting me, by using the word "billy boy" or something like that and (two) because I called out the toxicity of the forum and stated that Carrot fan would not have it anymore. All the people who insulted me are still there. THerefore I do not need to "self reflect", there is a systemic problem (SOme long time toxic fan are protected) there and I will continue to stand by what I said.

5. I never used bad faith here period. I may have made mistakes, I'm not talking in bad faith but in relationship to the material we have at disposition. If it displease you, I'm not responsible.

6. Almost noone gave me proper counter argument. I'm sorry if - again - it displease you - but that's just the fact. What you are calling arrogance is just confidence in my abilities so please, stop the insult and try to counter my argument with good ones.

7 - A strong multi layered characterisation + interactions with the strawhats is not something common in the story. You can check it up, it happens only with very few character (and btw Yamato is in there too, so stop bashing my argument for nothing)

For the post I explained why this is unprecedented earlier.

8 - I explained Vivi being a red hearing for Robin ealier, but I will make a precision here:

Vivi being a red hearing is SITUATIONAL. Meaning that this is not her character that we are talking about, but the narrative situation Oda put Vivi in. In fact, I don't think Oda predicted to make a red hearing out of Vivi at first. The character of Vivi was most likely not crafted to be a red hearing, only the narration she stand in at the end of the arc is. If you want another phrasing: Oda crafted the end of Vivi's arc as a red hearing. (is that better for you ?)

Finally Carrot being a strawhat don't contradict in anything what Oda crafted. In fact it reinforce it.

9. Having a arc following a joining is not "a special treatment" Oda did this already with the two girls of the Sunny.

10. Sanji was important ONLY during a few chapter in little garden. The wano arc is not finished yet.

11. My arrogance..

Ahh.. My arrogance.. If I add one euro everytime someone told me that I was arrogant.. I'd be the pirate King.

Am I arrogant ? Maybe.. Or maybe I'm just very confident in my abilities. Why am I so confident ? Well, I have a background in story crafting, in storytelling, I have read One Piece for more than 20 years now and I'm analysing it since 2006 ish.. so yeah.. I have what we call.. some knowledge on the subject. I'm very sorry for the authoritative argument here.. But at one moment.. I have simply no choice as you seems to disagree with me on the only base that I'm a Carrot fan.

Yes, I am an storytelling analyst.. it doesn't mean that I am a good one, but that I have extra knowledge that random One Piece fan may not have. So.. is that arrogance ? Maybe.. but I will stand by it..

When people are ignoring part of the story, ignoring factual shadowing, ignoring odd patterns.. I considered that those people are .. at best bias.. and at worst, ignorant of the craft.

Do my knowledge means that I'm right with everything ?

No. In fact I could be wrong even if I am right on my analysis. That's the beauty of storytelling.. sometimes there are random accident in stories and they are not crafted voluntarily by the author. But.. in the case of Oda. I doubt that.

So is there a possibility for me to be wrong ? Of course.
Is it likely ? No

Call me arrogant if it makes you feel good, I won't stop calling out the bs

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Now this was for the problems in your first reply @Van .. I'll now get into the analysis

What I will give you here, is an narrative analysis. Simple. With panels so you can see and explanation.

But.. and because this forum is a pain in regards to the posting of panels :

You will have to go HERE to see the analysis, on my blog, that was inspired by this reply.

Again, sorry, for the delay, sometime my brain just doesn't want to work.

Last edited:
For party purposes? Brook's role is "pointless" as well...
Musician was the most sought after role on any pirate ship. Historically, Brook would be the most likely Straw hat stolen in a raid.
Post automatically merged:

I really just want to be there for the introduction of a new nakama, regardless of who it is. I caught up with the manga in chapter 888 ironically, and immediately jumped on board the Carrot for Nakama train. Winbae was my main guy, but I considered him already a crewmember, so I didn't count it. I feel like each new recruit is such a significant event, and there's probably only one left, so I'm happy I get to be part of the community to experience it no matter who it is. Even if it's a character I don't like, I'm sure I'll grow to love them just like all the Strawhats.
Then it's a good reason Vivi has only one home to return to right now!

@CarrotForNakama I'm not going to debate your post because that's for @Van to do, but I am going to call out the utter bullshit of you using the "authoritative" argument. Having read the series for a long time does not make you an authority. My bachelor's degree in literature, however, makes me an authority over you in the subject. Also pretty sure a lot of the Yamato crew like @Jew D. Boy have been reading it longer than you anyway.

@CarrotForNakama I'm not going to debate your post because that's for @Van to do, but I am going to call out the utter bullshit of you using the "authoritative" argument. Having read the series for a long time does not make you an authority. My bachelor's degree in literature, however, makes me an authority over you in the subject. Also pretty sure a lot of the Yamato crew like @Jew D. Boy have been reading it longer than you anyway.
You can if you want.. but sorry.. if the authority argument here is the only thing that will make you listen and calm down on the toxicity I need to do it. And no.. your bachelor's degree in literature does not come close to my experience in story crafting. Sorry.

I'm not analysing stories because I like them. But because I know how to craft them.

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
You can if you want.. but sorry.. if the authority argument here is the only thing that will make you listen and calm down on the toxicity I need to do it. And no.. your bachelo'sr degree in literature does not come close to my experience in story crafting. Sorry.

I'm not analysing stories because I like them. But because I know how to craft them.
Most of your “analysis” is just calling every argument made by the other side a “strawman” or ”toxic,” this kind of bullshit doesn’t require a pioneering literary mind like the one you claim to have. By the way, I’m a published writer myself, and I can say with absolute certainty that no self-respecting scribe would look at Carrot’s portrayal and see anything but potential not worth realizing. If you wanna keep bleating about how shitty Yamato fans are treating you, maybe tone down that unearned arrogance or expect to keep defending from all sides :kayneshrug:

Most of your “analysis” is just calling every argument made by the other side a “strawman” or ”toxic,” this kind of bullshit doesn’t require a pioneering literary mind like the one you claim to have. By the way, I’m a published writer myself, and I can say with absolute certainty that no self-respecting scribe would look at Carrot’s portrayal and see anything but potential not worth realizing. If you wanna keep bleating about how shitty Yamato fans are treating you, maybe tone down that unearned arrogance or expect to keep defending from all sides :kayneshrug:
I won't if there is still strawman and toxicity. Those are factual and therefore must be denounced.

You know, you can be a published writer and don't know a thing about how good stories are really crafted. Careful, I'm not sayin this is your case, I'm just looking at the evidences. I don't care how Yamato fan are treating me, I care about how Yamato fan are treating the fanbase and Carrot. Do whatever you want to me, I have tough skin.

So again, if the arrogance is the only thing that will make you calm down a bit on your bias.. well, I'll keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.