Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thought

If the letter pattern holds up and there are 12 subordinates after all, how's this for the final crew?

AB Brook
CD Chopper
EF Franky
GH Hancock
IJ Jinbei
KL Luffy
MN Nami
OP Oden (Yamato)
QR Robin
ST Sanji
UV Ussop
WX Water Law
YZ Zoro

It's probably not going to hold up in the end, but if it were to be true, these are the only candidates I can think of that would fit.

Random thought

If the letter pattern holds up and there are 12 subordinates after all, how's this for the final crew?

AB Brook
CD Chopper
EF Franky
GH Hancock
IJ Jinbei
KL Luffy
MN Nami
OP Oden (Yamato)
QR Robin
ST Sanji
UV Ussop
WX Water Law
YZ Zoro

It's probably not going to hold up in the end, but if it were to be true, these are the only candidates I can think of that would fit.
I like it. With law we have 2 doctors but it isn’t much of a problem as chopper is a better doctor anyway

Random thought

AB Brook
CD Chopper
EF Franky
GH Hancock
IJ Jinbei
KL Luffy
MN Nami
OP Oden (Yamato)
QR Robin
ST Sanji
UV Ussop
WX Water Law
YZ Zoro

Can be:
GH Gin
WX X Drake

:josad:

True a surgeon is different. But becoming Luffy’s tactician is just like signing your own death sentence. :vistalaugh:
Law can actually conceptualize plans by taking advantage of Luffy's (and sometimes Zoro's) inability to follow plans...

I would agree if not for Franky and Jinbei. Law is no closer with his crew than they were.
If Bepo and others give him away then it's possible... Franky and Jinbe were "given away"...

I'd give this to Going Merry (now Thousand Sunny)

WX Water Law
I've seen people argue for Vivi (V V = W or Ms. Wednesday)

I've never been a believer in the various 13 Straw Hats theories, though I wouldn't be mad if your line-up was the final one. Hancock would be a little out of place to me, but Oda did say that she was originally meant to be introduced/more important in the endgame, so maybe she'll get more to her later.

I'd give this to Going Merry (now Thousand Sunny)

I've seen people argue for Vivi (V V = W or Ms. Wednesday)

I've never been a believer in the various 13 Straw Hats theories, though I wouldn't be mad if your line-up was the final one. Hancock would be a little out of place to me, but Oda did say that she was originally meant to be introduced/more important in the endgame, so maybe she'll get more to her later.
I don't think the ship counts because if so then the Thousand Sunny conflicts with Sanji. V V is nonsense, but Wedenesday isn't any more of a stretch that Oden for Yamato. I guess it's possible, but don't think Vivi is likely to rejoin regardless.

Imo Hancock is slept on. Now that the schichibukai are gone, she needs to ally herself with a Yonko to avoid the WG attacking Amazon Lily. Why would she not choose Luffy? Grand Fleet is possible, but I don't see any way she stays unaffiliated oficially.

Last edited:
I don't think the ship counts because if so then the Thousand Sunny conflicts with Sanji.
I've always seen it more as the Thousand Sunny inherited the Going Merry's will/spirit.

I guess it's possible, but don't think Vivi is likely to rejoin regardless.
I don't either, but she's still considered an official Straw Hat and if the alphabet theory is true then this is the only way she could still fit in.

Imo Hancock is slept on. Now that the schichibukai are gone, she needs to ally herself with a Yonko to avoid the WG attacking Amazon Lily. Why would she not choose Luffy?. Grand Fleet is possible, but I don't see any way she stays unaffiliated oficially.
I completely agree that she'll likely declare the Kuja's with/under the Straw Hats. I'm just sticking with my thought that Oda, after Wano, is going to be blurring the lines between ally and crew member with certain major allies and Hancock will fall into this category rather than a full-blown member. I'm not necessarily against her joining the crew if that's where Oda takes her, but I think her lack of a clear dream/goal (besides being with Luffy) is the biggest thing holding her back. Her position on the ship is also a concern, but Oda could probably come up with something for that.

I've always seen it more as the Thousand Sunny inherited the Going Merry's will/spirit.

I don't either, but she's still considered an official Straw Hat and if the alphabet theory is true then this is the only way she could still fit in.

I completely agree that she'll likely declare the Kuja's with/under the Straw Hats. I'm just sticking with my thought that Oda, after Wano, is going to be blurring the lines between ally and crew member with certain major allies and Hancock will fall into this category rather than a full-blown member. I'm not necessarily against her joining the crew if that's where Oda takes her, but I think her lack of a clear dream/goal (besides being with Luffy) is the biggest thing holding her back. Her position on the ship is also a concern, but Oda could probably come up with something for that.
So basically what you're saying is that with Vivi and the going merry counted, the letter theory could be considered complete with only Yamato still joining? I can see that I guess. People will probably claim it if Yamato joins with no one else regardless of if that was Oda's intent or not, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Tbh, I think the letter theory is likely nothing, but I do honestly think both Law and Hancock are slept on.

Law fits all of the Strawhat criteria 100% perfectly. The only things holding him back are a few fanmade rules.

Hancock, as you said, is missing a dream and a position. But so was Jinbei until Fishman island (and WCI for the position part). I don't think Oda will take the time out of another future arc to focus on a minor character like Carrot, but I think a Celestial Dragon related arc with Hancock where the villain is someone with ties to her life as a slave that develops her backstory, along with a dream and position, is entirely possible.

So basically what you're saying is that with Vivi and the going merry counted, the letter theory could be considered complete with only Yamato still joining? I can see that I guess. People will probably claim it if Yamato joins with no one else regardless of if that was Oda's intent or not, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Yep. Since I first saw the alphabet theory and saw people arguing that it meant we're still getting 2 more, I always thought it was odd that no one seemed to consider that Going Merry and Vivi might already count towards this. But I've never liked any of the 13 Straw Hat theories outside of the Ichimi one, so I'm pretty biased against it.

Law fits all of the Strawhat criteria 100% perfectly.
Agreed. Oda could have him declare he's joining at any point and I wouldn't blink. Law was even there for Ace's death and helping Luffy at his lowest point, which I think is pretty key at this point in the story. Oda just needs to flip the switch from "not Straw Hat" to "Straw Hat." But I think Law will most likely fall into the major-ally-not-quite-crew-member group with Kid and Hancock.

Hancock, as you said, is missing a dream and a position. But so was Jinbei until Fishman island (and WCI for the position part). I don't think Oda will take the time out of another future arc to focus on a minor character like Carrot, but I think a Celestial Dragon related arc with Hancock where the villain is someone with ties to her life as a slave that develops her backstory, along with a dream and position, is entirely possible.
Jinbe did have steering the ship from Impel Down being the earliest indication of him being a helmsman. I would also argue that his unwillingness to fight Whitebeard was also the first hint at what his dream would be. I don't remember if he was explicit about why he wasn't fighting, but the foundation was at least laid in Impel Down. Hancock, meanwhile, hasn't shown any real inclination for a position outside of being a captain. Yamato is similar, but it's still relatively early for Yamato and she hasn't had a chance yet to sit down and show a non-combat skill she can contribute. I've also always argued that being an apprentice would be fitting for Yamato given her father's past and Inuarashi calling Oden essentially an apprentice to Whitebeard, her intrigue in the stories of other pirates, and she's still inexperienced. For Hancock's dream, the only thing outside of Luffy is most likely taking down the Celestial Dragons, but that would align her more with the Revolutionaries than Luffy. There's nothing wrong with that being her dream, it's certainly more concrete than Usopp or Jinbe's, but she would need more development in that direction first. Hancock I would say is just below Yamato as far as prospective crew member goes. Both need more work, but Yamato has more going for her than Hancock right now. In Hancock's favor is that she's pretty much guaranteed to be very relevant in the near future, so she'll have to be addressed at some point.

Yep. Since I first saw the alphabet theory and saw people arguing that it meant we're still getting 2 more, I always thought it was odd that no one seemed to consider that Going Merry and Vivi might already count towards this. But I've never liked any of the 13 Straw Hat theories outside of the Ichimi one, so I'm pretty biased against it.

Agreed. Oda could have him declare he's joining at any point and I wouldn't blink. Law was even there for Ace's death and helping Luffy at his lowest point, which I think is pretty key at this point in the story. Oda just needs to flip the switch from "not Straw Hat" to "Straw Hat." But I think Law will most likely fall into the major-ally-not-quite-crew-member group with Kid and Hancock.

Jinbe did have steering the ship from Impel Down being the earliest indication of him being a helmsman. I would also argue that his unwillingness to fight Whitebeard was also the first hint at what his dream would be. I don't remember if he was explicit about why he wasn't fighting, but the foundation was at least laid in Impel Down. Hancock, meanwhile, hasn't shown any real inclination for a position outside of being a captain. Yamato is similar, but it's still relatively early for Yamato and she hasn't had a chance yet to sit down and show a non-combat skill she can contribute. I've also always argued that being an apprentice would be fitting for Yamato given her father's past and Inuarashi calling Oden essentially an apprentice to Whitebeard, her intrigue in the stories of other pirates, and she's still inexperienced. For Hancock's dream, the only thing outside of Luffy is most likely taking down the Celestial Dragons, but that would align her more with the Revolutionaries than Luffy. There's nothing wrong with that being her dream, it's certainly more concrete than Usopp or Jinbe's, but she would need more development in that direction first. Hancock I would say is just below Yamato as far as prospective crew member goes. Both need more work, but Yamato has more going for her than Hancock right now. In Hancock's favor is that she's pretty much guaranteed to be very relevant in the near future, so she'll have to be addressed at some point.
you think Luffy will have like a fleet of allies following him around after Wano?

you think Luffy will have like a fleet of allies following him around after Wano?
I just think some of Luffy's major allies are going to be "elevated" beyond simply being friends, just like the Grand Fleet were. Right now, I would put Law at the top of this list followed by Momo, Kid, Bon Clay, Hancock, Sabo, etc. I think these characters will bring their groups into the final war against the World Government (maybe even the battle against Blackbeard and his fleets), but they won't follow Luffy around until he rallies everyone. Law is the only one that I could see actually stay on the Sunny after Wano.

I don't really have anything to back this up right now, but Law's treatment in the story has put him above and beyond pretty much any other non-Straw Hat character and Momo, and I think between Mihawk's assessment of Luffy's ability to make friends, the acknowledgment of the Grand Fleet that Luffy can't stop them from becoming his followers, and Oda putting a lot more focus on the arc allies in the New World that Oda has started laying the foundation for a grey area between being a crew member and being simple friends to the crew and this is where he's going to put quite a few characters that will show up for the final battle. Another piece is Rocks being mentioned as a monster who reigned in other monsters who will become major players later on to join his crew, and I have a feeling that with Kaido thinking of Rocks while fighting Luffy, Oda might be hinting at Luffy also becoming a monster who reigns in monsters but through his charisma and for the greater good. Blackbeard is the obvious next Rocks (reigning in the Level 6 prisoners), but just like Big Mom wants to create a land where all races are friends but is doing so the forced way and Luffy is conversely making friends with everyone naturally, I think Luffy will be the converse of Blackbeard.

Another piece is Rocks being mentioned as a monster who reigned in other monsters who will become major players later on to join his crew, and I have a feeling that with Kaido thinking of Rocks while fighting Luffy, Oda might be hinting at Luffy also becoming a monster who reigns in monsters but through his charisma and for the greater good.
Yup that's why i never bought the "rival" argument. Luffy's abilities allows him to befriend and even recruit former warlords under him, a former rival would be a logical step if Oda decides to go that route. My headcanon is that Shanks is similar to Luffy and Ben Beckman is actually a former pirate captain who joined his crew, we also might get Mihawk as an ally of Shanks soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.