Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Since I first saw the alphabet theory and saw people arguing that it meant we're still getting 2 more, I always thought it was odd that no one seemed to consider that Going Merry and Vivi might already count towards this. But I've never liked any of the 13 Straw Hat theories outside of the Ichimi one, so I'm pretty biased against it.

Agreed. Oda could have him declare he's joining at any point and I wouldn't blink. Law was even there for Ace's death and helping Luffy at his lowest point, which I think is pretty key at this point in the story. Oda just needs to flip the switch from "not Straw Hat" to "Straw Hat." But I think Law will most likely fall into the major-ally-not-quite-crew-member group with Kid and Hancock.

Jinbe did have steering the ship from Impel Down being the earliest indication of him being a helmsman. I would also argue that his unwillingness to fight Whitebeard was also the first hint at what his dream would be. I don't remember if he was explicit about why he wasn't fighting, but the foundation was at least laid in Impel Down. Hancock, meanwhile, hasn't shown any real inclination for a position outside of being a captain. Yamato is similar, but it's still relatively early for Yamato and she hasn't had a chance yet to sit down and show a non-combat skill she can contribute. I've also always argued that being an apprentice would be fitting for Yamato given her father's past and Inuarashi calling Oden essentially an apprentice to Whitebeard, her intrigue in the stories of other pirates, and she's still inexperienced. For Hancock's dream, the only thing outside of Luffy is most likely taking down the Celestial Dragons, but that would align her more with the Revolutionaries than Luffy. There's nothing wrong with that being her dream, it's certainly more concrete than Usopp or Jinbe's, but she would need more development in that direction first. Hancock I would say is just below Yamato as far as prospective crew member goes. Both need more work, but Yamato has more going for her than Hancock right now. In Hancock's favor is that she's pretty much guaranteed to be very relevant in the near future, so she'll have to be addressed at some point.
I agree we pretty much everything you said, but Jinbei helming the ship in impel down is pure hindsight bias. It would have been a huge stretch at the time to claim that was his position. Anyone could just have easily helmed the ship, Jinbei didn't do anything special with it.

Imo it's

Yamato>Law>Hancock in terms of chances.

Yamato only edges out Law because she already declared her intent to join the crew.

Random thought

If the letter pattern holds up and there are 12 subordinates after all, how's this for the final crew?

AB Brook
CD Chopper
EF Franky
GH Hancock
IJ Jinbei
KL Luffy
MN Nami
OP Oden (Yamato)
QR Robin
ST Sanji
UV Ussop
WX Water Law
YZ Zoro

It's probably not going to hold up in the end, but if it were to be true, these are the only candidates I can think of that would fit.
Perfect. No logia in the end but i dont mind

I agree we pretty much everything you said, but Jinbei helming the ship in impel down is pure hindsight bias. It would have been a huge stretch at the time to claim that was his position. Anyone could just have easily helmed the ship, Jinbei didn't do anything special with it.
Is it hindsight bias or foreshadowing? He did manage to get the ship out through the gates of justice while being fired upon by multiple warships which is pretty impressive.

Imo it's

Yamato>Law>Hancock in terms of chances.

Yamato only edges out Law because she already declared her intent to join the crew.
No argument there. I might toss Vivi somewhere in there below Yamato. I don't think there's anyone else I would consider a serious contender at this point.

Perfect. No logia in the end but i dont mind
Earlier in the series, I would have wanted a Logia, but I took the Pekoms vs Caribou and Smoker vs Vergo fights as Oda kind of saying to forget about a Logia for the crew. Basically, unless you're an absolute monster (Admirals, Blackbeard, Sabo), people like Chopper, Robin, and Brook are better suited for Paramecias or Zoans because they tend to allow more creative battle tactics or give more raw power (or both in the case of Mythical Zoans) without the insane drawback of being vulnerable to/rendered useless by Haki that's overly abundant in the New World.

Is it hindsight bias or foreshadowing? He did manage to get the ship out through the gates of justice while being fired upon by multiple warships which is pretty impressive.

No argument there. I might toss Vivi somewhere in there below Yamato. I don't think there's anyone else I would consider a serious contender at this point.

Earlier in the series, I would have wanted a Logia, but I took the Pekoms vs Caribou and Smoker vs Vergo fights as Oda kind of saying to forget about a Logia for the crew. Basically, unless you're an absolute monster (Admirals, Blackbeard, Sabo), people like Chopper, Robin, and Brook are better suited for Paramecias or Zoans because they tend to allow more creative battle tactics or give more raw power (or both in the case of Mythical Zoans) without the insane drawback of being vulnerable to/rendered useless by Haki that's overly abundant in the New World.
It's hindsight bias in that we assume we could recognize something similar if it happened again. Yes, Jinbei's position was possibly foreshadowed back then. But we could get Hancock joining with something random like beast tamer or some shit and people will claim years from now that it was obviously foreshadowed by her controlling the sea monsters to move her ship. Anything a character does that relates to their role before it was defined looks obvious in retrospect. But Jinbei's role wasn't obvious at the time, so we shouldn't expect the next character's role to be obvious before their joining arc.

So basically what you're saying is that with Vivi and the going merry counted, the letter theory could be considered complete with only Yamato still joining? I can see that I guess. People will probably claim it if Yamato joins with no one else regardless of if that was Oda's intent or not, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Tbh, I think the letter theory is likely nothing, but I do honestly think both Law and Hancock are slept on.

Law fits all of the Strawhat criteria 100% perfectly. The only things holding him back are a few fanmade rules.

Hancock, as you said, is missing a dream and a position. But so was Jinbei until Fishman island (and WCI for the position part). I don't think Oda will take the time out of another future arc to focus on a minor character like Carrot, but I think a Celestial Dragon related arc with Hancock where the villain is someone with ties to her life as a slave that develops her backstory, along with a dream and position, is entirely possible.
Hancock has a dream. To marry Luffy and she can fill a lot of positions:sanmoji:
Post automatically merged:

It's hindsight bias in that we assume we could recognize something similar if it happened again. Yes, Jinbei's position was possibly foreshadowed back then. But we could get Hancock joining with something random like beast tamer or some shit and people will claim years from now that it was obviously foreshadowed by her controlling the sea monsters to move her ship. Anything a character does that relates to their role before it was defined looks obvious in retrospect. But Jinbei's role wasn't obvious at the time, so we shouldn't expect the next character's role to be obvious before their joining arc.
Exactly, and it’s not that all of them need to have a position. Nami,Sanji, Chopper and now Jinbe have an official position. Luffy is the captain obviously but aside from that, the other characters don’t really have official positions. Usopp is a sniper but only because he is the best at that. He wasn’t recruited for that position.
If you look at it it’s actually like this
Zoro: recruited to start of the pirate group
Nami: joined as a partner and then proved her navigator skills
Usopp joined as a friend
Sanji recruited as a chef
Chopper recruited because of cool transformations and happened to be a goof doctor
Robin invited herself
Franky forced to join but not actually recruited as shipwright more of a you can’t stay here and we need you to take care of the ship
Brook invited before they knew he was a musician and latter asked if he can join
Jinbe asked to join because he is awesome happened to be a great helmsman

none of this people have actually been recruited for the position by Luffy. They just said we need someone with those skills and then look for a good person to join them. We don’t really need people to fill positions cuz Luffy only takes into consideration if he likes the person and if they are friends

Last edited:
Random thought

If the letter pattern holds up and there are 12 subordinates after all, how's this for the final crew?

AB Brook
CD Chopper
EF Franky
GH Hancock
IJ Jinbei
KL Luffy
MN Nami
OP Oden (Yamato)
QR Robin
ST Sanji
UV Ussop
WX Water Law
XZ Zoro

It's probably not going to hold up in the end, but if it were to be true, these are the only candidates I can think of that would fit.

X drake
Post automatically merged:

AB- Brook
CD- Chopper
EF- FRANKY
GH- HARJUDIN OR GARROT (IN JAPANESE)
IJ- JIMBEI
KL- LUFFY
MN- NAMI
OP- OTAMA
QR- ROBIN
ST- SANJI
UV- USOPP
WY- YAMATO
XZ- ZORO

Last edited:
AB - This
CD - theory
EF - is
GH - fandom
IJ - garbage
KL - and
MN - has
OP - no
QR - bearing
ST - on
UV - who
WX - actually
YZ - joins the crew, fuck, thought I’d have more space :josad:
Counterpoint, there is no Oda and One Piece is just a conglomorate manga willed into existence by all the fans in the style of Twitch plays Pokemon, so if enough people say it, it will happen.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Status
Not open for further replies.