Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Yamato’s DF reveal was definitely underwhelming…but to think that a Mythical Zoan whose full transformation still hasn’t been seen, a DF that was explicitly coveted by Kaido and eaten by a future SHP member, will continue being portrayed so coyly is asinine, full stop.
We gotta stay true, Carrot Sulong reveal > other Sulong reveals > Yamato DF reveal

True, but the amount of influence this has on Yamato’s recruitment case is practically nil, just means there will be more to learn about her going forward whereas we’ve seen everything there is to know about Carrot.
Yeah, and you could also argue that Carrots reveal needed to hype sulong for wa no (even if that hype was not substantiated). Just saying, Carrot Sulong was awesome literally, whereas this was meh.

I want to give my new perspective:

NOTE: I'm sure Yamato has bigger possibility to join. Just wanna publish this writing.

1. Is there any strawhat that has exchanged sake cup? As long as I know no one. Cmiiw (BIG CMIIW). The last time i know is Grand Fleet members and they became gf not sh. Luffy didn't even drink the sake if i was right.

If somehow Yamato exchanged sake in the end of Wano then he will just end up as Ace's replacement aka Luffy's brother.
He won't join. Luffy will ask his help in something or Yamato himself offered some help that prevent him sailing with Luffy.

This theory tho can be destroyed if Jinbe or any straw hat has exchanged "sake cup" and not ordinary beer with Luffy in any particular timeline, which I don't remember.

2. From story stand point: Carrot joining will make more interesting story in future If (BIG IF) sailing to the moon theory is possible.
What are mink? Where are they from? Why they got power from moon? Are they related to sky people? Are they from moon itself?

Well Yamato's future story can be interesting if Oda would confirm her race in the future or at least who is her mother. SO she didn't just end up as a merely hard hitter if marine attack their ship or worse become much weaker than M3 or monster quartet if Jinbe has been up there.

3. For people who reject Carrot's lookout theory (just because Usopp being better sniper and has good eyes reason) then it's stupid if you assume Yamato's role will be log keeper when Nami and Robin intellectual and academic skill are enough to do that. Even Morgan the bird has better skill.

I somehow in the past (when he hasn't appeared yet) offered he can become masonry since Wano people can do that to make sea stone. But Oda hasn't show it. Maybe Oda will reveal that skill the same way Franky was a carpenter.

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Yeah, and you could also argue that Carrots reveal needed to hype sulong for wa no (even if that hype was not substantiated). Just saying, Carrot Sulong was awesome literally, whereas this was meh.
I may be a homer, but I’m not delusional like certain people in this thread, I can acknowledge the one instance where Carrot’s portrayal was better than Yamato’s…but like I said, we clearly hit the wall with the former and still have a ways to go with the latter, so it’s no big deal :luuh:

2. From story stand point: Carrot joining will make more interesting story in future IF (BIG IF) somehow journey to the moon theory is possible.
Yeah, been thinking about this one for a while. It's only become more probable giving the recent chapters. It's highly, highly likely that at some point in the story the crew is going to the moon.
This Morj vid does a good job at outlining the main argument, but even on a symbolic level, travelling to the moon just makes too much sense.

The sun is the endgame of One Piece. Its light is what the fishmen await. The dawn is what the minks and kozuki await. The sun god is what the slaves await. It's an end to the 800 years of darkness and persecution under the WG. The moon therefore can be seen as a memory of what once was. Just as it reflects the light of the sun during the latter's absence at night, the moon could also be the location of Raftel that will reveal the secrets of how to bring about the sun's light again.

I can't think of any island that could possibly be worthy of being the final island in the series. An island more unbelievable than Skypeia or Fishman Island. It has to be something that is quite literally out of this world.
The minks' transformation is triggered by distant memories that trigger when seeing the full moon and instantly make them want to fight. That's ripe grounds for some extended void century lore. We know the minks are an ancient race since they have a ponegliff. Perhaps the big battle for the Ancient Kingdom took place on the moon and its the minks' subconscious memories of that battle that trigger their transformation every time they see it.

As you said, it would just make things more interesting if we have someone with a connection to the moon when we finally do go there.

Well, the thing about specifically comparing Carrot’s first Su Long to Yamato’s hybrid reveal is that Su Long was Carrot’s peak as a character. That was her big moment to shine of the WCI arc- and from the looks of things so far, the series as a whole. I have very low expectations regarding the conclusion of Carrot’s plot on Onigashima.

Whereas Yamato’s peak has not came yet. This is still only a step towards Yamato’s big moment of the arc- whatever that will be.

Well, the thing about specifically comparing Carrot’s first Su Long to Yamato’s hybrid reveal is that Su Long was Carrot’s peak as a character. That was her big moment to shine of the WCI arc- and from the looks of things so far, the series as a whole. I have very low expectations regarding the conclusion of Carrot’s plot on Onigashima.
Carrot's still got a lot more to come. Oda had her lose to Perospero setting up for more development for her instead of having her and Wanda just beat him in a quick fight like side characters like Hyogoro got.

Oda's shown he has absolutely no qualms with rushing fights, yet instead of winding Carrot down, having her get her revenge and that be it, he's building her up by having her lose and ponder over her dead mentor's words. One of the key messages passed onto Carrot was that everyone has their moment to shine. Even if you don't believe she's joining the crew, how does it make any sense for her final moment to shine to be less impactful than her previous moment?

The minks' transformation is triggered by distant memories that trigger when seeing the full moon and instantly make them want to fight. That's ripe grounds for some extended void century lore. We know the minks are an ancient race since they have a ponegliff. Perhaps the big battle for the Ancient Kingdom took place on the moon and its the minks' subconscious memories of that battle that trigger their transformation every time they see it.

As you said, it would just make things more interesting if we have someone with a connection to the moon when we finally do go there.
Considering Oda playing psychology thing a lot in these recent arcs, I can see that happened.

A closer look at why Yamao's big anticipated df reveal was so underwhelming and doesn't compare to actual straw hats.

We can first look at some of the straw hats big ability reveals to see the similarities.
There's always a set up to showcasing their abilities. A scenario specifically created to highlight how cool the future straw hats are. Pell got hyped up as Alabasta's strongest warrior and whopped a bunch of fodder, only for Robin to utterly humiliate him in the very next chapter. The hype for Pell was mainly there just to hype up Robin. Or how the spider monkey managed to capture both Franky and Robin only to hear Brook's eerie humming echoing around the castles before he insta blitzes the monkey.

Oda loves to put on a performance to really drum up what the future straw hats are capable of. The very first time we see them show off is always something memorable. They're always the main focus of the chapter for their reveals. I'll make the obvious comparison.
Carrot's transformation should by all means be inferior to Yamao's. Sulong is a transformation that all the minks can do, whereas Yamao ate a mythical zoan desired by Kaido himself. But yet the hype is completely reversed. The difference between the presentation of the two is heaven and earth. With Carrot we had:

-A big problem specifically created for her to counter and give her the spotlight
-A double page spread of her transformation detailing even changes to eyes, tail and hair
-A full page panel giving a big closeup of her amazing design
-Oda has every single present straw hat comment on just how incredible she looks
-Her fighting style is shown in its full glory on yet another double page spread
-The chapter is named after her
-Big onomatopeia around her transformation
-Editor's comment hypes up Carrot's strength

Now let's look at Yamao:

-Zero narrative build up whatsoever to her hybrid reveal
-Off panelled transformation
-The first panel revealing her full form had to be shared with Kaido's own hybrid design
-Confusing reveal since the fruit wasn't named in the moment
-Something as insignificant as Franky vs Sasaki was more prominent than Yamao's hybrid design reveal
-Didn't have the chapter named after her
-She's losing
-Onomatopeia surrounds her statement about being Oden instead of her transformation
-Even the editor's comment talks about her dedication to Wano instead of referencing her design or df

Carrot was fighting fodders and Yamao was fighting hybrid Kaido yet the former's Sulong moment completely and utterly outshines the latter's df reveal. And for good reason.
How’s this for a first big ability reveal?

I don’t think a first major ability shot gets much more grand than that. I doubt many would argue that a F6 (who was overpowering base Luffy) is a lesser hype tool than Pell or the spider-monkey zombie.

I don’t think a first major ability shot gets much more grand than that. I doubt many would argue that a F6 (who was overpowering base Luffy) is a lesser hype tool than Pell or the spider-monkey zombie.
But that’s not her ability. That’s just her copying one we already saw.

Compared to Choppers 7 transformations, or Robin basically sprouting limbs it’s not unique

Carrot's still got a lot more to come. Oda had her lose to Perospero setting up for more development for her instead of having her and Wanda just beat him in a quick fight like side characters like Hyogoro got.

Oda's shown he has absolutely no qualms with rushing fights, yet instead of winding Carrot down, having her get her revenge and that be it, he's building her up by having her lose and ponder over her dead mentor's words. One of the key messages passed onto Carrot was that everyone has their moment to shine. Even if you don't believe she's joining the crew, how does it make any sense for her final moment to shine to be less impactful than her previous moment?
Carrot has been almost completely offpanelled on Wano, including her fight with Perospero. The fight was delayed not because of her being a priority, but because

-Nekomamushi is to be involved as well, and he was busy on the roof
-before Perospero goes down he needs to do something to Marco, setting up Zoro vs King, which again, couldn’t happen because Zoro was on the roof.

And her moment on Wano will be less impactful than her moment on WCI because while Carrot was one of the main secondary characters there, she’s been almost entirely irrelevant on Wano. WCI was a smaller arc, a smaller cast, Carrot had much more of a role there than here, so her first Su Long got a fair showing.

Here she’s competing with a huge cast, almost all of whom have been far more important than her, and it’s looking very much like she’s going to have to share her moment with Neko. I don‘t expect the conclusion of her plot here, whatever it be, to be as focused on as it was on WCI, because that is entirely consistent with how she has been treated on Wano so far. I’ll be surprised if it‘s anything more than half a chapter where Neko and Carrot team up and beat Perospero. Just one fight out of about fifteen to be finished, as opposed to WCI, where she was a standout solo moment in the escape.
Post automatically merged:

Back to Yamato, I think it needs to be remembered that when we first saw Chopper’s transformation, it was not an immediate info dump where we discovered he was some unique seven transformation guy.

It was this

Interesting, observant readers would have noticed it being the same hat that Kureha’s reindeer had used, a cliffhanger (yo ho ho), but the full story took a while to come out.

Here we’ve seen one transformation- still full animal form to come- but we have basically nothing in the way of explanation about it other than Kaido thinking it a big deal, and it shocking Sasaki a good while back.

Last edited:
But that’s not her ability. That’s just her copying one we already saw.

Compared to Choppers 7 transformations, or Robin basically sprouting limbs it’s not unique
As far as I’m aware the post I was responding to said nothing about being unique.

There's always a set up to showcasing their abilities. A scenario specifically created to highlight how cool the future straw hats are. Pell got hyped up as Alabasta's strongest warrior and whopped a bunch of fodder, only for Robin to utterly humiliate him in the very next chapter. The hype for Pell was mainly there just to hype up Robin. Or how the spider monkey managed to capture both Franky and Robin only to hear Brook's eerie humming echoing around the castles before he insta blitzes the monkey.

Oda loves to put on a performance to really drum up what the future straw hats are capable of. The very first time we see them show off is always something memorable. They're always the main focus of the chapter for their reveals. I'll make the obvious comparison.
Yamato’s moment I posted fulfills all of the above criteria.

Also Kaido’s techniques that Yamato uses are still part of her tool kit. To make a distinction that “if they didn’t invent it themselves it isn’t theirs” is just a semantics argument.

When Zoro stole Kinemon’s ability to cut fire it became one of Zoro’s techniques. Future sight is now a part of Luffy’s ability set.

If Yamato powers happen to be like a better version of Carrot Sulong, there's no hope for the Mink.

In the reality i think Carrot is a paralel to Inu and Neko when they joined the Roger Pirates. They hide to enter the ship, spend a time with the crew, but weren't really full members and didnt go to Laftel with the crew. Think with Carrot is the same, she hide to enter the ship, get in a adventure with the crew in WCI, and Wano to a extent, but will be just that. After Wano, if Inu dies, she will go back to Zou with Neko, Wanda and the other minks and we are going to see her again when Zunesha role came into play in the Final War.

For a random mink to have travled once with the Pirate King crew will be a great adventure, and probably she will be the future ruler of the Minks.

If Yamato powers happen to be like a better version of Carrot Sulong, there's no hope for the Mink.

In the reality i think Carrot is a paralel to Inu and Neko when they joined the Roger Pirates. They hide to enter the ship, spend a time with the crew, but weren't really full members and didnt go to Laftel with the crew. Think with Carrot is the same, she hide to enter the ship, get in a adventure with the crew in WCI, and Wano to a extent, but will be just that. After Wano, if Inu dies, she will go back to Zou with Neko, Wanda and the other minks and we are going to see her again when Zunesha role came into play in the Final War.

For a random mink to have travled once with the Pirate King crew will be a great adventure, and probably she will be the future ruler of the Minks.
This is also what I think Carrot’s role is/was. She’s a Duke parallel.

That's her introduction. I'm talking about a separate ability showcase like all the pics I posted. When the straw hats showed what they could do Oda made a big deal out of it and provided the appropriate focus and hype with the reveal. Whereas everyone relevant gets some kind of attention when they're first introduced so it's not comparable.
Carrot has been almost completely offpanelled on Wano, including her fight with Perospero. The fight was delayed not because of her being a priority, but because

-Nekomamushi is to be involved as well, and he was busy on the roof
-before Perospero goes down he needs to do something to Marco, setting up Zoro vs King, which again, couldn’t happen because Zoro was on the roof.
Then why even set up the first interaction to begin with if it couldn't be seen through until later on? Why not just have Carrot fight fodder like all the other minks until the necessary players were available? At that point Robin, Brook and many others were just messing around in the hall. Why not put Carrot to the side along with them?

This also disregards the words said to Carrot. Perospero told Carrot that she's not fit to deal with pirates and essentially that she should've just stayed on Zou. As enjoyable as he is, he's still the "baddie" and Carrot is the "goodie". His statement is just begging to be subverted at some point. In other words, Carrot will make it very clear that although she did totally underestimate what she was in for, she is still fit to keep moving forward like Pedro told her and face pirates out on the seas.
And her moment on Wano will be less impactful than her moment on WCI because while Carrot was one of the main secondary characters there, she’s been almost entirely irrelevant on Wano. WCI was a smaller arc, a smaller cast, Carrot had much more of a role there than here, so her first Su Long got a fair showing.
How does that work for the climax of her arc? How does the biggest and most significant moment happen in the middle? How is the climatic resolution inferior to the build up?

Can you name another instance in the story like this. Where the resolution of a character's arc was not the most impactful, significant moment for them?

No hope for minks?
:eeke:

I think it's the opposite. Minks has some build up for final plot like the memories of sulong and why they separate themselves so much, just like fishman and wano

We are in the chapter where the main villain is kaido. Obviously that yamato got a lot of focus. But kaido is not the main reason why mokomo dukedom and wano was isolated. The reveal will certainly happen but much later. You can expect their relevance later

Im almost certain that there should be one mink on the crew. But if yamato and minks negating each other, then imo minks win

Last edited:
No hope for minks?
:eeke:

I think it's the opposite. Minks has some build up for final plot like the memories of sulong and why they separate themselves so much, just like fishman and wano

We are in the chapter where the main villain is kaido. Obviously that yamato got a lot of focus. But kaido is not the main reason why mokomo dukedom and wano was isolated. The reveal will certainly happen but much later

Im almost certain that there should be one mink on the crew. But if yamato and minks negating each other, then imo minks win
That build up could be resolved with minks and samurai showing up in the end with the rest of the fleet rather than with joining the crew, if it was for nakama reasons then Momonosuke or Hiyori would also join with Carrot since that build up is tied to the relationship with minks and the Kozuki clan

Status
Not open for further replies.