Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Just really don’t understand what y’all think Carrot’s even meant to do at this point…she didn’t contribute anything of substance in WCI until the very end, she hasn’t done anything noteworthy in Wano except lose to Perospero even with Wanda’s help, and Oda has fully abandoned any sort of ambition for her whether or not certain deluded nut jobs around here think he has. You can’t honestly say there’s a plan for her or any greater meaning when we’re smack dab in the middle of the most revelatory arc in OP history and she’s literally nowhere to be found. The SHP have made their entire way through East Blue/Paradise/their separation/the New World without an established lookout, why do they suddenly need one for the homestretch? Perospero outright mocked her on panel for being totally useless without seeing the moon, so she’d absolutely be a liability in any sort of fight going forward. Don’t even get me started on the bullshit with Pedro; his storyline is fully resolved outside of Perospero still being conscious, and the rabbit needed Neko to step in there, fully usurping her *failed* revenge mission. I just seriously don’t get what about her is worth hanging onto for dear life, it’s all smoke and mirrors with her. If she was so God damn important, why not have her defend Momo during the raid? She could have gotten the spotlight with a crucial task and it would have given her the chance to contribute anything whatsoever…and yet, the author created a brand new character almost out of spite to prevent her from even having that much. The writing on the wall is pretty easy to read, even if all it says is LOL FUCK FURRIES #YAMATO4NAKAMA

Last edited:
Will truly never understand why this is acceptable for Carrot’s motivation and not Yamato’s…the former simply said she wanted to leave Zou in general, whereas the latter explicitly said she wanted to sail with Luffy. It either works for both or neither, not just one of the two.
I’m not making a case for Yamato here though. That said, I think the willingness to want to go out and adventure is important which is why I stated it last but it is by no means the be all and end all imo and for the most part that’s the only justification I see most people give for Yamato joining the crew. That willingness to join by itself is not enough imo. It can be rejected for one & the mind of person with that willigness to go out to sea, could also change or be held back by something. Vivi is a prime example for the later.

Also Yamato is saying she will join Luffy simply coz it’s her ticket outside Wano. Her main goal is to go out to sea not to join the SHs. Going with Luffy is just a convenient way for her to achieve it. Yamato could travel with Law for instance & would’ve achieve her dream. It is not tied to the SHs.
Post automatically merged:

I can't see Carrot joining if she was she would have played a major role on Onigasha. But her fight has been offpaneled and neko is going to take on Pero.
Neko might help in some way but if you think Neko is gon take that fight from Carrot even more so with the way her last encounter with Perorin ended then you are trippin my good sir/madam:catsweat:but we shall see ^^

Its so awkward to have so many people rooting for Carrot when she's a horribly developed character and not unique in any shape or form..
Lol well I disagree with that notion but that surely can’t be one of your arguments for Yamato over Carrot:milaugh: is it? :believe:

Last edited:
I’m not making a case for Yamato here though. That said, I think the willingness to want to go out and adventure is important which is why I stated it last but it is by no means the be all and end all imo and for the most part that’s the only justification I see most people give for Yamato joining the crew. That willingness to join by itself is not enough imo. It can be rejected for one & the mind of person with that willigness to go out to sea, could also change or be held back by something. Vivi is a prime example for the later.
Yamato clearly knows more than we do from the journal, and we'll learn more about it in the flashback I think. If Yamato does leave Wano, even just as a temporary guest like Law or Kinemon, I assume Oda will give us a better reason than "because I want to." That said, if they do come just because they want to, it would be quite the statement by Oda: "just wanting to go on an adventure is enough."

Chapter 1021 was like killing 2 birds with one stone:

1. That Momo could become an adult and would then be old enough so he doesn't need a babysitter anymore (AKA Yamato). He might not be as strong as Kaido, but he should definitely be stronger than his 8 year old self before. Plus Dragon Kaido was already considered a wise king in Wano before, after he's defeated- Momo will take that responsibility and become Wano's guardian instead of Yamato.

2. Robin using Fishman Karate vs Black Maria killed the argument that the straw hats can't have overlapping abilities and moves, killing the argument that Yamato shouldn't join because Nami can already use a club with Zeus (this was a shit argument to begin with since if Carrot joined her abilities would also overlap with Nami and her lightning clouds, making Carrot no different to Yamato in that regard. Plus Yamato is actually proficient with a club and can also use Haki on it, Nami can't).

Yamao haters just took another L

With caribou deed for luffy this chapter, i think luffy wouldn't mind if he tag along to leave wano

Tama will ask luffy to take her to the sea because that she has proven that she is a good kunoichi. Although it's only a promise between ace and her, but so far she has not asked that question to luffy yet, and we still dont know what luffy's answer if that happen

Carrot may tag along once again in case BM and peros wont be done for good this arc

Yamato will leave wano to do an "important mission" (if my prediction right)

I think the recruitment for new nakama will be delayed once again because it will be so blur to distinguish which is new nakama, which is companion

Yamato clearly knows more than we do from the journal, and we'll learn more about it in the flashback I think. If Yamato does leave Wano, even just as a temporary guest like Law or Kinemon, I assume Oda will give us a better reason than "because I want to." That said, if they do come just because they want to, it would be quite the statement by Oda: "just wanting to go on an adventure is enough."
Let me see if I understand this correctly, so ur first point about Yamato knowing a lot of info from Oden’s journal is an argument in favor of her joining the crew? (Otherwise I’m not really sure why you’re bringing it but correct me if I’m wrong) If so I’d argue that her knowing that much info is detrimental to her chances of joining given Luffy’s personality.

So ur second argument is that all Yamato has going for her atm is ‘I want to go out to sea’ but before the end of the arc, Oda will give her some grand reason for doing so. Fair enuff 👌🏿 but pending that I’m not at all convinced that she sill be joining. The bit about her just joining the crew coz she wants to and it supposedly being some type of statement by Oda is rubbish imo no offense 🙏🏿

Right now Yamato has a few tings that str strongly working against her chances of joining the crew imo.

1. She’s a DF user that doesn’t match the number pattern that the other DF users on the crew conform to.
Luffy - Gomu (5,6)
Robin - Hana (8,7)
Brook - Yomi (4,6)
Chopper - Hito (1,10)
Only set let over is (2,9 or 9,2)

Before you say this is ‘just a theory’. Oda was actually asked about this in SBS and declined to comment on it, so there’s definitely something here.

2. Yamato’s DF Okuchi no Makami is said to be the guardian deity of Wano Country. Of all the DFs that Oda could’ve chosen to give her, he gave her one with very strong ties to Wano Country, so it’s very likely that Yamato actually becomes the guardian diety of Wano after this arc.

3. She’s had barely any interaction with any members of the crew save Luffy & most of her interaction has been with Momonosuke & Shinobu (i.e Wano folk) & her plot line this arc has been tied to them for the most part.

4. She has no clear role on the ship and there is no overlap with any of the roles on the crew. So the argument that she can just be a combatant is a very weak one and the argument that Oda will just randomly create a role for her like ‘book keeper’ on some shit like is nonsensical to say the least imo anyways.

5. She doesn’t have a specific objective that she wants to achieve by going out to sea.

Aged up Momo I’ll be paying attention to, I would for an aged up Tama as well.

Carrot’s still a huge nope, Yamato’s the bookies favourite.
Momo leaving would be Oden 2.0 in the sense of forsaking Wa No, he literally is the moral support of a country brought to its knees.
Him leaving would entail either the public learning he left, or a need to pretend child Momo is dead and adult Momo is someone else.
And no, Hiyori does not fulfill Momos role.

Let me see if I understand this correctly, so ur first point about Yamato knowing a lot of info from Oden’s journal is an argument in favor of her joining the crew? (Otherwise I’m not really sure why you’re bringing it but correct me if I’m wrong) If so I’d argue that her knowing that much info is detrimental to her chances of joining given Luffy’s personality.

So ur second argument is that all Yamato has going for her atm is ‘I want to go out to sea’ but before the end of the arc, Oda will give her some grand reason for doing so. Fair enuff 👌🏿 but pending that I’m not at all convinced that she sill be joining. The bit about her just joining the crew coz she wants to and it supposedly being some type of statement by Oda is rubbish imo no offense 🙏🏿

Right now Yamato has a few tings that str strongly working against her chances of joining the crew imo.

1. She’s a DF user that doesn’t match the number pattern that the other DF users on the crew conform to.
Luffy - Gomu (5,6)
Robin - Hana (8,7)
Brook - Yomi (4,6)
Chopper - Hito (1,10)

Before you say this is ‘just a theory’. Oda was actually asked about this in SBS and declined to comment on it, so there’s definitely something here.

2. Yamato’s DF Okuchi no Makami is said to be the guardian deity of Wano Country. Of all the DFs that Oda could’ve chosen to give her, he gave her one with very strong ties to Wano Country, so it’s very likely that Yamato actually becomes the guardian diety of Wano after this arc.

3. She’s had barely any interaction with any members of the crew save Luffy & most of her interaction has been with Momonosuke & Shinobu (i.e Wano folk) & her plot line this arc has been tied to them for the most part.

4. She has no clear role on the ship and there is no overlap with any of the roles on the crew. So the argument that she can just be a combatant is a very weak one and the argument that Oda will just randomly create a role for her like ‘book keeper’ on some shit like is nonsensical to say the least imo anyways.

5. She doesn’t have a specific objective that she wants to achieve by going out to sea.
For the first point, it comes down to what Oden wrote in the journal. If Yamato is a walking spoiler for Laughtale, then it would definitely be against Luffy's personality to let them join. However, there are two things that make me think that the journal doesn't hold secrets Luffy doesn't want to know:

1. Roger's whole plan was to get people going out into the world to look for his treasure. Wouldn't he not want anyone to just write all of the secrets down?

2. Everyone who made it to Laughtale stopped their adventure, as they had seen "everything the world has to offer". If Yamato knew all of this, would they really want to go out to sea that badly?

Let me preface the following by saying: I'm a big Yamato fan, would love to have them as a Strawhat, but would be perfectly happy with something else if it fits the story (just want my bias to be clear, lol). Now, regarding the points that you say are working against Yamato:

1. Just because Oda commented on this 11 years ago doesn't mean it'll apply now, as maybe his plan changed over the course of the decade. That said: If it doesn't apply, then it doesn't affect Yamato. If it does apply, does that mean you think someone else with an appropriate DF will join? The options would be Kuma, Kinemon, Shinobu, Kid, or Franky/Zoro/Sanji/Jinbe/Vivi eating the fruits of one of the above. To me, it's more likely that the theory doesn't apply than the second option here.

2. There's reason to believe that Yamato is the guardian of Wano in the sense of fighting Kaido, and that once it's open there won't be a need for a guardian. Also, we don't know that Okuchi-No-Makami is the only guardian of Wano, as at least Orochi's fruit has been stated to be related to the power of the Shogun; Kaido's could also be a guardian (Seiryu is the guardian of the east, after all). If there is more than one guardian, having them all stay could be redundant.

3. I don't really see how this is a point, as it's still the first day after they met. Robin joined the crew the first time several of the Strawhats even saw her. If Oda wants Yamato to join, then we'll get the interactions.

4. Role on the crew is obviously something that Oda can just come up with. The logkeeper is actually a strong point in my mind, as the first thing Luffy said when Yamato pulled out the log was "Ooh, a journal!!". It would be easy enough to say that "Roger and Luffy shared a dream, and this log contains the journey up to Laughtale. Roger couldn't finish his dream, so Yamato will log the journey of the pirates who do accomplish their dreams!"

5. The specific objective is something that, as I mentioned, I would want to be established before they joined. Many of the Strawhats goals only became clear after they joined the crew, though, so I don't know if that's necessary at this point.

Again, I'm biased, but I don't see all of the above as reasons why Oda could choose to have Yamato not join the crew, but all things that could easily be written around by Oda. It all comes down to what Luffy/Oda decide.

As a follow up: even though Yamato is probably my favorite character since the timeskip, I really feel like I have no read on what Oda's actual plan is. People call Yamato a red herring, and I agree, but I think the "join/not join" discussion is a red herring for Yamato's actual role in this arc, which we still don't know (assuming it's more than just losing to Kaido). If I had to guess a few weeks ago, I would have said not joining for the same reasons you said, and I was mostly playing devil's advocate above. However, the biggest piece of evidence for Yamato joining is the storyboarding of Episode 982. I made the following video/post on Reddit after seeing the episode:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/osoajg
That toast scene was clearly foreshadowing for the ranks of the strawhats changing, and those two scenes made me convinced that it was a reference to Yamato.

Last edited:
Momo leaving would be Oden 2.0 in the sense of forsaking Wa No, he literally is the moral support of a country brought to its knees.
Him leaving would entail either the public learning he left, or a need to pretend child Momo is dead and adult Momo is someone else.
And no, Hiyori does not fulfill Momos role.
I mostly agree, which is why I said this in the chapter thread

Bigger discussion point is it adding something interesting for the next Strawhat discussion. Again, I don’t think it will change much- Momo wants to be Shogun, Yamato wants to go to sea with Luffy. Momo’s story this arc seems to be leading to him becoming a man in his own right, living up to hisnfather’s legacy and making his own choice, to stay on Wano as Shogun (which Oden never actually achieved).

But I certainly can’t ignore the possibility that Momo feels the need to go with Luffy to Laugh Tale, like his father did, to be the true Shogun. I don’t think it will happen, but it’s there. In which case, Yamato will only be going on one trip, because there aren’t going to be two Strawhats based on the one Wano plot.
But I do still think there’s potential, with whatever is written about Momo in the logbook that makes Yamato think he’ll bring the dawn, or maybe even something on Wano’s Poneglyphs, that could bring about a storyline where Momo needs to go with Luffy to truly open the borders, protect Wano and become Shogun.

He’s very much the New World Vivi, but while Vivi had no reason to leave Alabasta (at that point) without it being seen as a desertion of duty, I can see a storyline where Momo leaving Wano, for a little while longer, can be done to protect it. Because unlike Oden, this will not be framed as just running off on an adventure for years with no purpose. It would be Momo, for a short time (One Piece only has a few months at most in-series until the end of the final war) going with specific purpose, a purpose that will in the long run help Wano.

I still think it’ll be Yamato that goes and represents Wano, but the role could fall to an adult Momo. He’s a more important character so far, he’s bonded more with all the crew (especially Luffy), and if he’s not a child… that’s my big objection away.

But yeah, it could very easily, and does seem to be, going the other way where Momo decides to prove himself by staying with Wano. And whatever his great purpose is can be accomplished in the final war, where prefty much all the characters will get involved anyway.

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
She’s a DF user that doesn’t match the number pattern that the other DF users on the crew conform to.
Luffy - Gomu (5,6)
Robin - Hana (8,7)
Brook - Yomi (4,6)
Chopper - Hito (1,10)
i think oda stopped strictly following this pattern ever since this was asked in the sbs. else it would make it very obvious who is going to join the crew and who is not.

i mean i see her as the "oden" of the strawhats. and she has the same argument going for her as tama has - ace promised to take her out to sea someday and i think luffy will fulfill it.

also i dont think oden wrote much about the secrets of the world and laugh tale in his journal except for some of the secrets involving momo. point being , this would give us some information regarding laughtale which is due since the strawhats will quite literally possess 3 road poneglyphs out of 4 - we're in the final homestretch of the series.

i think oda stopped strictly following this pattern ever since this was asked in the sbs. else it would make it very obvious who is going to join the crew and who is not.
Not really ^^". We've had several DF users that match that same pattern (like Kin and Kuma) and it is unlikely that they join so Oda is most likely fcking with us on purpose. Rather than Oda completely discarding all Oda has to do it make it hard to predict, like he's done above or come up with something unexpected like let's say one of the current SHs consuming a DF that matches that pattern

i mean i see her as the "oden" of the strawhats. and she has the same argument going for her as tama has - ace promised to take her out to sea someday and i think luffy will fulfill it.

also i dont think oden wrote much about the secrets of the world and laugh tale in his journal except for some of the secrets involving momo. point being , this would give us some information regarding laughtale which is due since the strawhats will quite literally possess 3 road poneglyphs out of 4 - we're in the final homestretch of the series.
She has no similarities to Oden. Roger borrowed Oden from the WB Pirates coz of his ability to read the poneglypghs and inscribe messages on them. He had a functional role on the crew and he joined for a reason. Yamato unlike Oden can neither read or inscribe on poneglyphs. Moreover, the SHs already have Robin that can read it

Why won't Oden have written anything sensitive in his journal? That is literally what a journal is for and we've quite literally seennOden write about his adventures with in the journal in his FB. Hell from Yamato's own mouth we know that he even wrote the prediction about what will happen to Wano in his journal 20 years from that time. Plus, Momonosuke also seems to have discovered his purpose in life after reading it.
The SHs don't need to know any senstive information about laugh tale or anything like that. Luffy made that very clear to Rayleigh on Shabondy.

Wano Panel Time (909-1021):

>1. Luffy: 1152
>2. Zoro: 622
>3. Kin'emon: 560
>4. Kaido: 532
>5. Oden: 428
>6. Kiku: 409
>7. Sanji: 362
>8. Nami: 331
>9. Kawamatsu: 327
>10. Momo: 325
>11. Linlin: 323
>12. Tama: 298
>13. Law: 270
>14. Queen: 268
>15. Orochi: 260
>16. Denjiro: 255
>17. Raizo: 250
>18. Hyogoro: 247
>18. Shinobu: 247
>20. Hiyori: 243
>21. Usopp: 240
>22. Robin: 231
>23. Ashura: 230
>24. Franky: 229
>25. Chopper: 222
>26. Inu: 221
>27. Kanjuro: 213
>28. Kid: 196
>29. Yamato: 190
>30. Neko: 185
>31. Brook: 146
>32. Ulti: 143
>33. Jinbe: 129
>33. Killer: 129
>35. Hawkins: 126
>36. Marco: 121
>37. Yasu: 118
>38. Black Maria: 112
>39. Page One: 109
>40. Toko: 105
>41. Sasaki: 103
>42. Drake: 98
>42. Izo: 98
>44. Onimaru: 97
>45. Who's Who: 91
>46. Toki: 89
>47. King: 86
>48. Roger: 83
>48. Carrot: 83
>50. Apoo: 79

Yeah... Carrot is not joining.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Wano Panel Time (909-1021):

>1. Luffy: 1152
>2. Zoro: 622
>3. Kin'emon: 560
>4. Kaido: 532
>5. Oden: 428
>6. Kiku: 409
>7. Sanji: 362
>8. Nami: 331
>9. Kawamatsu: 327
>10. Momo: 325
>11. Linlin: 323
>12. Tama: 298
>13. Law: 270
>14. Queen: 268
>15. Orochi: 260
>16. Denjiro: 255
>17. Raizo: 250
>18. Hyogoro: 247
>18. Shinobu: 247
>20. Hiyori: 243
>21. Usopp: 240
>22. Robin: 231
>23. Ashura: 230
>24. Franky: 229
>25. Chopper: 222
>26. Inu: 221
>27. Kanjuro: 213
>28. Kid: 196
>29. Yamato: 190
>30. Neko: 185
>31. Brook: 146
>32. Ulti: 143
>33. Jinbe: 129
>33. Killer: 129
>35. Hawkins: 126
>36. Marco: 121
>37. Yasu: 118
>38. Black Maria: 112
>39. Page One: 109
>40. Toko: 105
>41. Sasaki: 103
>42. Drake: 98
>42. Izo: 98
>44. Onimaru: 97
>45. Who's Who: 91
>46. Toki: 89
>47. King: 86
>48. Roger: 83
>48. Carrot: 83
>50. Apoo: 79

Yeah... Carrot is not joining.
How does she have less than Izo and Neko who showed up at the start if Onigashima? How the hell does Carrot has less than Toki? That's bad

For the first point, it comes down to what Oden wrote in the journal. If Yamato is a walking spoiler for Laughtale, then it would definitely be against Luffy's personality to let them join. However, there are two things that make me think that the journal doesn't hold secrets Luffy doesn't want to know:

1. Roger's whole plan was to get people going out into the world to look for his treasure. Wouldn't he not want anyone to just write all of the secrets down?

2. Everyone who made it to Laughtale stopped their adventure, as they had seen "everything the world has to offer". If Yamato knew all of this, would they really want to go out to sea that badly?

Let me preface the following by saying: I'm a big Yamato fan, would love to have them as a Strawhat, but would be perfectly happy with something else if it fits the story (just want my bias to be clear, lol). Now, regarding the points that you say are working against Yamato:

1. Just because Oda commented on this 11 years ago doesn't mean it'll apply now, as maybe his plan changed over the course of the decade. That said: If it doesn't apply, then it doesn't affect Yamato. If it does apply, does that mean you think someone else with an appropriate DF will join? The options would be Kuma, Kinemon, Shinobu, Kid, or Franky/Zoro/Sanji/Jinbe/Vivi eating the fruits of one of the above. To me, it's more likely that the theory doesn't apply than the second option here.

2. There's reason to believe that Yamato is the guardian of Wano in the sense of fighting Kaido, and that once it's open there won't be a need for a guardian. Also, we don't know that Okuchi-No-Makami is the only guardian of Wano, as at least Orochi's fruit has been stated to be related to the power of the Shogun; Kaido's could also be a guardian (Seiryu is the guardian of the east, after all). If there is more than one guardian, having them all stay could be redundant.

3. I don't really see how this is a point, as it's still the first day after they met. Robin joined the crew the first time several of the Strawhats even saw her. If Oda wants Yamato to join, then we'll get the interactions.

4. Role on the crew is obviously something that Oda can just come up with. The logkeeper is actually a strong point in my mind, as the first thing Luffy said when Yamato pulled out the log was "Ooh, a journal!!". It would be easy enough to say that "Roger and Luffy shared a dream, and this log contains the journey up to Laughtale. Roger couldn't finish his dream, so Yamato will log the journey of the pirates who do accomplish their dreams!"

5. The specific objective is something that, as I mentioned, I would want to be established before they joined. Many of the Strawhats goals only became clear after they joined the crew, though, so I don't know if that's necessary at this point.

Again, I'm biased, but I don't see all of the above as reasons why Oda could choose to have Yamato not join the crew, but all things that could easily be written around by Oda. It all comes down to what Luffy/Oda decide.

As a follow up: even though Yamato is probably my favorite character since the timeskip, I really feel like I have no read on what Oda's actual plan is. People call Yamato a red herring, and I agree, but I think the "join/not join" discussion is a red herring for Yamato's actual role in this arc, which we still don't know (assuming it's more than just losing to Kaido). If I had to guess a few weeks ago, I would have said not joining for the same reasons you said, and I was mostly playing devil's advocate above. However, the biggest piece of evidence for Yamato joining is the storyboarding of Episode 982. I made the following video/post on Reddit after seeing the episode:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/osoajg
That toast scene was clearly foreshadowing for the ranks of the strawhats changing, and those two scenes made me convinced that it was a reference to Yamato.
1st.
Luffy DOESN'T EVEN KNOW IF THE ONE PIECE IS REAL OR NOT, teeling him about its existece is a huge spoiler for him. More spoiler if he talks about how Roger reacted, wich is a huge spoiler for Luffy.

2nd.
Yamato fighting Kaido now doesn't mean a shit when we saw Yamato fighting against Ace (Who wanted to freed the citizens) Yamato was against that Wano Citizens 2 years ago, now he defends them because he want's to sail out, he doesn't give a fick about them to be considered Deity (FOR THE MOMENT)
Yamato can easily see how bad has left Kaido the country, and try to help the citizens... Being a new Oden and a Deity...

4th.
Every Mugi has been presented doing some stuff related to their rol, maybe Robin was the exception, but doesn't seems to be the case of Yamato, simply doesn't have nothing to do on the boat... This could change being Momo's protector or some stuff like that... But ... Now doesn't seems to be the case XD

And don't make me laugh, here the anime isn't even considered as an adaptation, Carrot has been potrayed with the mugis on the anime hundreds of times, yet people here doesn't want to admit that could mean something, buuut i'm sure that now that you've mentioned that """Symbolism""" people is going to use it XDXD

Status
Not open for further replies.