Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamato wanting to leave does not mean leaving with Luffy. Yamato could easily leave with Momo when Wano opens the borders.

Yamato waited 2 years for Luffy after Ace. This though is when Yamato thought the Kozuki clan was wiped out. Momo's return changes Yamato's plans.
She literally says that she is going to leave with luffy in Chapter 1016 can't you read?
Post automatically merged:

Yamato considering being a samurai, having multiple parallels with Momo, and having a supposed Wano Guardian Deity Devil Fruit makes Yamato more connected to Wano than the Strawhats.
Hmmm? 🤔 interesting

But Yamato states they are Oden. If Yamato is going to make such a bold claim then Yamato should actually follow through on it. Be Oden! What would Oden do if he was still alive? Protect his children, retainers, and the Wano citizens.

It seems that Yamato4nakama want Yamato to be the Oden that left for Laughtale rather than the Oden that sacrificed his life to protect Wano.
Negative she literally says that she wants to live freely like Oden she doesn't have to protect Wano because his son and daughter are there to do that not Yamato.

retainer part is Yamato deciding to make sure Momonosuke stays protected (as Oden), let's Yamato be a samurai, AND allows Yamato to be under the Kozuki clan. Seems fitting for Yamato.

I don't understand why Oda would have Yamato bond with Momonosuke over numerous chapters just to leave high and dry. If Yamato was really leaving with Luffy then it makes more sense narratively for Yamato to establish bonds with the other Strawhats then with Momo, no? What is the point of Momo and Yamato interacting this much
Wasn't it Luffy telling Yamato to help Momo out? Luffy too has bonded with Momo so what makes Yamato and momo any special? Like I said before Momo is 28 years old and have kinemon and the scabbards with him I don't see why Yamato needs to be there 😭 and you literally don't get I Am Oden situation with Yamato 😩

Last edited:
And please show us what did Yamato say after Kaido 😣
She denied kaido's order and she want to open wano isnt it? That is what expected. I already said yamato fate will be like wano yesterday, the moment wano free is the moment yamato free. The moment wano open its border is the moment yamato connect with the outside world

Sure. Ignoring me would save my time :suresure:

Last edited:
She denied kaido's order and she want to open wano isnt it? That is what expected. I already said yamato fate will be like wano yesterday, the moment wano free is the moment yamato free. The moment wano open its border is the moment yamato connect with the outside world

Sure. Ignoring me would save my time :suresure:
IF wano does open it's border likely Yaamto will get wanted poster since she has ally herself with strawhats against Kaido and his forces and the she daughter one of four emperor of the sea.

IF wano does open it's border likely Yaamto will get wanted poster since she has ally herself with strawhats against Kaido and his forces and the she daughter one of four emperor of the sea.
Yes sure. Why not? That could be the case IF it's happen

I think you guys are mistaking me. This is my take about yamato
It's been awhile since I talk about yamato. I too want to add my opinion about her.

Imo oda meant yamato to have the same fate as wano country

- Yamato was Japan ancient name
- Yama tou could mean mountain island. That's a good description for wano
- She has the ookami fruit, which is narratively been said was wano guardian god. That fruit bears god name. It means the fruit more likely chose her. Fighting for k̶a̶i̶d̶o̶ wano was always her decision from 20 years ago
- ya could means arrow (her attack is also arrow based), mato means mark/target. This not necessary, I only add this to show that oda loves doing pun with name. And also to validate my points
- Etc etc

Oda loves his poetic symbolism
- yamato was trapped 20 years ago. Wano isolated 800 years ago
- The time wano be free from kaido is the time yamato free
- The time wano open its border may be the time yamato finally connect to outside world

But the question is when will wano open its border? Will the citizen be ready to stand on their own feet right after the war?

Next question is how will yamato leave? With who? As ally? Or As nakama?

So far yamato only tightly bond with luffy and momo. Meeting ace lead her to luffy, admiring oden lead her to momo. She is enthusiast when near luffy but also felt sympathy when near momo. Imo she belongs to both of them. Let's just see how the story turn
I haven't even talk about yamato joining or not yet. Heck, I'm not even using Yamato df to pinned her down in wano. All I'm talking about after that post is only yamato devil fruit because there's different understanding among us about it

In fact, I never make myself to believe 100% chance about one joining or not joining and being so cocky about it. I always leave a room for doubt. Ofc I believe there's chance in yamato joining the crew and at the same time I also believe there's chance in yamato not joining. I'm always challenging my own argument because it's oda we're talking about. That's why I make it this far in doing analysis. When I say I'm doing analysis, it means I'm doing analysis

Last edited:
She literally says that she is going to leave with luffy in Chapter 1016 can't you read?

Hmmm? 🤔 interesting

Negative she literally says that she wants to live freely like Oden she doesn't have to protect Wano because his son and daughter are there to do that not Yamato.

Wasn't it Luffy telling Yamato to help Momo out? Luffy too has bonded with Momo so what makes Yamato and momo any special? Like I said before Momo is 28 years old and have kinemon and the scabbards with him I don't see why Yamato needs to be there 😭 and you literally don't get I Am Oden situation with Yamato 😩
Yes I can read. Don't be childish about someone disagreeing with your opinion. If we go by semantics and logic with Yamato's statement, Yamato will NOT travel to sea with Luffy because Yamato will NOT be the one to drive Kaido out of Wano. Or not be able to get Kaido out of Wano by the time the Strawhats need to leave. Kaido will still be in Wano after his inevitable defeat. And when Kaido loses, where exactly will Kaido be kept??? A Wano prison? Impel Down? Punk Hazard? Emerald City with Vegapunk? A true death!? Nothing can truly be determined until Kaido's fate is decided.

Yamato's plan to leave is changing before our eyes. Yamato is still processing everything that's happening during the raid.

So Yamato who claims to be Oden wants to live freely like Oden. And doesn't need to stay in Wano because Momo and Hiyori are there to protect it you say. Problem is Oden with his retainers and followers were defeated by Kaido and the Beast Pirates. Just regrouping the remaining retainers and followers is not enough for Wano to even return to its strength 20 years ago let alone be stronger and better prepared. They'll need more people in particular strong warriors. Yamato would arguably be the strongest warrior in Wano on par with Oden if Yamato decides to become a retainer. Momo does not have a warrior near the caliber of his father (and Momo is not ready for that role) so Wano is ripe for the pickings if another Kaido level threat comes back.

Luffy telling Yamato to help Momo doesn't justify the amount of interactions the two share. It is getting to a ridiculous point how much they interact be it serious or silly. Yamato could have helped Momo the first time and been done with it but Oda keeps Yamato and Momo attached at the hip. Why?

And why did Oda troll by having Yamato miss meeting Robin and Brook while not on Momo babysitting duty? One would think Oda would be setting up Yamato joining the Strawhats with interactions like the previous members.
@Berry Rich is dumb as hell imagine trying to talk to them
Why are you insulting me? Just ignore me if you don't actually have anything of value to contribute. Don't @ me again unless you actually want to have an actual conversation.

If we go by semantics and logic with Yamato's statement, Yamato will NOT travel to sea with Luffy because Yamato will NOT be the one to drive Kaido out of Wano.
What?

Yamato's plan to leave is changing before our eyes. Yamato is still processing everything that's happening during the raid.
Not once has she ever suggested she's changing her mind about leaving.

So Yamato who claims to be Oden wants to live freely like Oden. And doesn't need to stay in Wano because Momo and Hiyori are there to protect it you say. Problem is Oden with his retainers and followers were defeated by Kaido and the Beast Pirates. Just regrouping the remaining retainers and followers is not enough for Wano to even return to its strength 20 years ago let alone be stronger and better prepared. They'll need more people in particular strong warriors. Yamato would arguably be the strongest warrior in Wano on par with Oden if Yamato decides to become a retainer. Momo does not have a warrior near the caliber of his father (and Momo is not ready for that role) so Wano is ripe for the pickings if another Kaido level threat comes back.
Nothing was stopping Big Mom from destroying Fishman Island, yet Jinbe still left it behind. Nothing was stopping the World Government from going after Iceburg and the Franky Family again after Franky left. Nothing was stopping Wapol if he decided to go back to Drum Island and take it over again after Chopper left. Don Krieg could have killed Gin and gone back for the Baratie after Sanji left. People keep trying to act like this is some problem that has never been an issue for past members. It's even weirder for Yamato since she has straight-up said that she can't stop Kaido, yet people expect her to handle him/another equal level threat?

There are also all of the Minks, Zunesha, and Ex-Beast Pirates who are now under Momo and an alliance with pirates who took down two Yonko, and Momo himself has Kaido's powers and after aging is going to be closer to Oden's physical capabilities. Wano has even more of a fighting force now.

Luffy telling Yamato to help Momo doesn't justify the amount of interactions the two share. It is getting to a ridiculous point how much they interact be it serious or silly. Yamato could have helped Momo the first time and been done with it but Oda keeps Yamato and Momo attached at the hip. Why?
So Yamato has a group/someone to return to at the end of the series. Or if, as you believe, she somehow does randomly start to question the decision to leave, she has someone to push her to follow her dreams of leaving. It wouldn't be the first time that friends of crewmates have pushed them to leave for their own sake over their desire to stay.

And why did Oda troll by having Yamato miss meeting Robin and Brook while not on Momo babysitting duty? One would think Oda would be setting up Yamato joining the Strawhats with interactions like the previous members.
Robin basically didn't interact with anyone besides Luffy before she joined. Chopper only met half the crew when he joined, and even he only really had extensive interactions with Luffy and Nami at that. Yamato has talked to one less person on the crew than Chopper at this point.

What?

Nothing was stopping Big Mom from destroying Fishman Island, yet Jinbe still left it behind. Nothing was stopping the World Government from going after Iceburg and the Franky Family again after Franky left. Nothing was stopping Wapol if he decided to go back to Drum Island and take it over again after Chopper left. Don Krieg could have killed Gin and gone back for the Baratie after Sanji left. People keep trying to act like this is some problem that has never been an issue for past members. It's even weirder for Yamato since she has straight-up said that she can't stop Kaido, yet people expect her to handle him/another equal level threat?

There are also all of the Minks, Zunesha, and Ex-Beast Pirates who are now under Momo and an alliance with pirates who took down two Yonko, and Momo himself has Kaido's powers and after aging is going to be closer to Oden's physical capabilities. Wano has even more of a fighting force now.

So Yamato has a group/someone to return to at the end of the series. Or if, as you believe, she somehow does randomly start to question the decision to leave, she has someone to push her to follow her dreams of leaving. It wouldn't be the first time that friends of crewmates have pushed them to leave for their own sake over their desire to stay.

Robin basically didn't interact with anyone besides Luffy before she joined. Chopper only met half the crew when he joined, and even he only really had extensive interactions with Luffy and Nami at that. Yamato has talked to one less person on the crew than Chopper at this point.
Also to show how silly @Berry Rich is he says knowing the Kozuki like Momonosuke and Hiyori being alive changed Yamato.

But everything in the series even when Yamato confronts Kaido says no Yamato hasn't changed told there father right to his dumb face they are leaving, shit Yamato left Momonosuke as soon as they could to back up Luffy and fight Kaido.

Last edited:
Yamato statement from chapter 1016: "Yes!! I'm going out to sea with Luffy!!! But only after I've driven you out of Wano, Kaido!!!

The logic and semantics comes in when considering that Yamato will NOT be the one to drive Kaido out of Wano but Luffy. And that's if Kaido actually is driven out of Wano.
Yamato does not verbally have to state their plan is changing. It is an interpretation of all that has transpired in Wano.

Momo has had Yamato for protection, morale and mental support. It keeps being thrown around here Momo doesn't need Yamato post-war because the original retainers will be enough but I don't believe that. Momo needed Yamato throughout the raid as Momo would not have survived up to this point without Yamato.

None of those places had an theme of complete closure of its borders and under a foreign tyrant for 20+ years. Momo does not want to put Wano in a vulnerable situation again hence the hesitation. The suggestion of a Wano champion of sorts to combat any would be invaders is feasible. If not Yamato and if Momo is not ready, then which one warrior do you choose to fight the strongest invading opponent?

I don't expect Yamato to be able to directly handle a Kaido level threat. But as the strongest in Wano, Yamato should be able to contribute and tank in a well planned team effort against that level of threat.

There needs to be consistent border protection which Zunesha can provide. And since Zunesha is around then the Minks as well. Some Gifters and Numbers also. However, the allied force that took down 2 Yonko will not be protecting Wano once the war is over. I'd disagree that purely Wano forces are stronger now than they were years ago. They lost many samurai and warriors.

Momo may be grown but his mind will need significant time to catch up so he's nowhere near Oden's capabilities.

Comparing Yamato to character development pretimeskip (in particular East Blue) is not a fair comparison as the narrative structure and crewmate development was not set in stone with its continual evolution. Yamato's depiction should be compared more to Jinbe's or maybe Brook.
Also to show how dumb @Berry Rich is he says knowing the Kozuki like Momonosuke and Hiyori being alive changed Yamato.
Yamato took on the Oden persona thinking the Kozuki clan were wiped out. Knowing the Kozuki clan survived should change Yamato as a HUGE part of Yamato's current identity hinges on carrying Kozuki Oden's identity.

Yamato statement from chapter 1019: "If I don't fight for the sake of this country then I can't call myself Oden."

Yamato statement from chapter 1024: "Is it a crime to admire someone?!! I love Oden!!!"

Is Yamato going to keep pretending to be Oden after the war? Just leave "Oden" Yamato in Wano? And what is Yamato without Oden?
But everything in the series even when Yamato confronts Kaido says no Yamato hasn't changed told there father right to his dumb face they are leaving, shit Yamato left Momonosuke as soon as they could to back up Luffy and fight Kaido.
Yamato statement from chapter 1027: "You'll be all right, Momonosuke!! I'm with you!! Sorry about leaving your side earlier!!"

And yet Momo and Yamato were reunited chapter 1025, split again chapter 1028, reunited again chapter 1040 and are now as of chapter 1047 are still in each other's company.
@Berry Rich was been dumb on the last site, been dumb on AP and is being dumb here.
Was been dumb!?!? But you're commenting on my intelligence as if you are knowledgeable.

I think that the fruit of Yamato really represents the guardian of Wano. But I also believe that this fruit will have no impact on her future.

For me, Yamato is a character who needs to free herself from the tyranny of his father and the destiny he expects from her.

I really don't see how staying in Wano can help her. Maybe Yamato's plans are changing. But I will only believe it when she says it.

You don't think the Wano citizens will find out who helped with their freedom? Shogun Momonosuke will surely make an announcement about what has transpired.

It doesn't matter that Yamato was not born in Wano. Yamato is more or less a Wano citizen being lived there for 20+ years.

Yamato considering being a samurai, having multiple parallels with Momo, and having a supposed Wano Guardian Deity Devil Fruit makes Yamato more connected to Wano then the Strawhats.

Yamato wanting to leave does not mean leaving with Luffy. Yamato could easily leave with Momo when Wano opens the borders.

Yamato waited 2 years for Luffy after Ace. This though is when Yamato thought the Kozuki clan was wiped out. Momo's return changes Yamato's plans.

But Yamato states they are Oden. If Yamato is going to make such a bold claim then Yamato should actually follow through on it. Be Oden! What would Oden do if he was still alive? Protect his children, retainers, and the Wano citizens.

It seems that Yamato4nakama want Yamato to be the Oden that left for Laughtale rather than the Oden that sacrificed his life to protect Wano.

The retainer part is Yamato deciding to make sure Momonosuke stays protected (as Oden), let's Yamato be a samurai, AND allows Yamato to be under the Kozuki clan. Seems fitting for Yamato.

I don't understand why Oda would have Yamato bond with Momonosuke over numerous chapters just to leave high and dry. If Yamato was really leaving with Luffy then it makes more sense narratively for Yamato to establish bonds with the other Strawhats then with Momo, no? What is the point of Momo and Yamato interacting this much?
Reality is that Yamato is not Oden and she need to realize that at and of arc. Oden is coping mechanism that she will not need at end of arc.

Yamato statement from chapter 1016: "Yes!! I'm going out to sea with Luffy!!! But only after I've driven you out of Wano, Kaido!!!

The logic and semantics comes in when considering that Yamato will NOT be the one to drive Kaido out of Wano but Luffy. And that's if Kaido actually is driven out of Wano.
That's just weirdly nitpicking. Obviously, Kaido isn't going to be an issue for Wano by the end of the arc.

Yamato does not verbally have to state their plan is changing. It is an interpretation of all that has transpired in Wano.
It must be convenient that interpretations can ignore in-text evidence of Yamato stating repeatedly she's going to leave in favor of headcanon.

Momo has had Yamato for protection, morale and mental support. It keeps being thrown around here Momo doesn't need Yamato post-war because the original retainers will be enough but I don't believe that. Momo needed Yamato throughout the raid as Momo would not have survived up to this point without Yamato.
He also has Kinemon, Shinobu, and Luffy. Do you expect Luffy to give up his dream like Yamato to stick around and protect Momo until he's ready? Luffy is currently the one keeping Kaido from killing Momo and has been the one pushing Momo to break past his mental blocks.

None of those places had an theme of complete closure of its borders and under a foreign tyrant for 20+ years. Momo does not want to put Wano in a vulnerable situation again hence the hesitation. The suggestion of a Wano champion of sorts to combat any would be invaders is feasible. If not Yamato and if Momo is not ready, then which one warrior do you choose to fight the strongest invading opponent?
That doesn't address that the would-be "champions" of past islands have left to follow their own dreams with the crew. Jinbe was pretty much called the defender of Fishman Island, and look where he is now. Once he severed ties with Big Mom, she could have called for Fishman Island to be destroyed right then and there, but it wasn't an issue. All Momo has to do, just like Neptune did, is call his territory as being protected by Luffy. Problem solved.

I don't expect Yamato to be able to directly handle a Kaido level threat. But as the strongest in Wano, Yamato should be able to contribute and tank in a well planned team effort against that level of threat.
Without the Straw Hats, the Wano forces would have been fucked with or without Yamato. She's not making the difference if someone equal to Kaido rolls up to Wano and the Straw Hats aren't around.

There needs to be consistent border protection which Zunesha can provide. And since Zunesha is around then the Minks as well. Some Gifters and Numbers also. However, the allied force that took down 2 Yonko will not be protecting Wano once the war is over. I'd disagree that purely Wano forces are stronger now than they were years ago. They lost many samurai and warriors.
The forces of past islands weren't enough to take down their threats without the Straw Hats, why is it different this time? Wano has gotten more backup forces now with the Minks and Ex-Beast Pirates than any previous island has gotten after the Straw Hats left.

Momo may be grown but his mind will need significant time to catch up so he's nowhere near Oden's capabilities.
I'm talking only about his physical capability which is much closer to Oden after being aged up and is boosted by his DF. The only thing he needs to learn is the technique, which he has the Scabbards for.

Comparing Yamato to character development pretimeskip (in particular East Blue) is not a fair comparison as the narrative structure and crewmate development was not set in stone with its continual evolution. Yamato's depiction should be compared more to Jinbe's or maybe Brook.
If it's continually evolving, then it shouldn't be a problem if it doesn't match. No two past joinings have been the exact same, but there's enough narrative structure and story beat pattern to them that it should be obvious at this point who is being set up to join, and Yamato definitely is.

Last edited:
Did we see Alabasta citizens praying to their Guardians? I don't recall that they did. Regardless, we do not know much about what the Wano citizens know about their Guardian Deities.
Youre right we didnt see them praying to their guardians
because they had no reason to, they were in a civil war were among themselves and they didnt know croccodile was a hostile power

the citizens remained in the dark of the whole thing while they lived their normal lives under a fair king, while Wano in the entire country is enslaved and living in constant fear of death

Not to mention in Alabasta we saw statues dedicated to both the falcon and the jackal as the guardians watching over them

I have yet to see a single Okuchi no Makami statue

There isn't anything going for Carrot within the story itself cause What will carrot accomplish after the end of one piece? What are her goals and dreams other than being chopper's cheerleader 🤔?
There are so many possibilities. For one, she could become a leader at the epilogue of the story and the mink, thus creating an ending to her current arc. But I'm waiting for Oda's take on it before saying too much.

Yamato fighting againt kaido for wano country is already fulfilling wano guardian duty tho. Done or continue depends on how the story turns. But I dont believe yamato would stay on wano forever like forever
i don't think Yamato is really here to stay on Wano, I think her curiosity shuold play a her yet still attached to the wano country. That's why the possibility of her becoming an ambassador or a leader for a coalition or the leader for a rebel fleet against the gouvernment (composed of Dressrosa/Fishmen/Alabasta/Wano) could make a bit of sence.

The difference between them and Yamato is that Yamato wants to leave wano
Yamato wants to leave ONigashima* not wano per say. Her wanting to sail the seas doesn't mean she absolutely wants to flee Wano.

It's all just coping. Anyone who's intellectually honest with themselves knows Yamato is going to join.
Reality is not that simple
+1

+100 I've been screaming that for month now.. The current portrayal of Yamato might be strong. But it enters in complete contradiction with hermain desire.

In fact it's pretty logical when you think about it. If Yamato is supposed to be a representation of Oden, she also represents him in his contradictions... like him she wants to go at sea.. and the logical course would be for her to fight with the strawhats.. but her real desire right now is all about saving wano and dying for the Kozuki if necessary.

The will to go at sea.. is the will of Oden.. If Yamato is bound to understand to accept her own desire and to change into her real personna as "Yamato".. her desire will logically change alongside that... From wanting to sail the seas to... something else.

Leave freely will still be the main purpose.. but the way to do it might be different.

That's why I often say that becoming a guardian for herself (with her values) and not for her father's wish (with his values) would be a way to affirm that freedom.

It must be convenient that interpretations can ignore in-text evidence of Yamato stating repeatedly she's going to leave in favor of headcanon.
In stories.. the desire of a character often change during the course of a character arc. It mimiquing life and the changes that comes with it.

That's why multiple strawhat had a change of desire during the course of the story and their respective character arcs:

- Zoro: From wanting to find Mihawk in order to beat him to never losing again in order to become the best swordman for Luffy.
- Nami: From wanting to stay with Arlong in order to help her village to creating maps to sea the worlds (in that instance, it's coming backto a previous desire)
- Usopp: From wanting to become a Pirate to become a proud warrior of the sea
- Sanji : From wanting to stay with Zeff to repay him.. to find the all blue at sea.
- Chopper: From wanting to stay on Drum because he was afraid of being seen as a monster to wanting to become a monster for Luffy.
- Robin: From wanting to die for the crew to wanting to live.
- Franky: From wanting to stay on Water Seven for his family to leaving with Luffy for the Sunny
- Brook: From wanting to stay in order to take back his shadow to leave with Luffy to find Laboon
- Jinbe: From wanting to stay behind to fullfil his responsibilities to leave with Luffy for his race.

I mentionned the strawhats, but it works with most important characters in the story:

- Vivi: From wanting to fight alone for her country to accepting to rely on her friends
- Rebecca: From accepting to leave appart from her toy soldier dad/to stay with him
Etc..

Desire change is part of life and part of the core of One Piece too. This is why I often say that Yamato and Carrot are bound to change to as they are both important protagonist.

Yamato will change her desire to go at sea for freedom and stay on Wano (most probably) while Carrot won't go at sea for the same reasons anymore but with another desire in mind. (at least that's what the story is currently hinting)

There are so many possibilities. For one, she could become a leader at the epilogue of the story and the mink, thus creating an ending to her current arc. But I'm waiting for Oda's take on it before saying too much.

i don't think Yamato is really here to stay on Wano, I think her curiosity shuold play a her yet still attached to the wano country. That's why the possibility of her becoming an ambassador or a leader for a coalition or the leader for a rebel fleet against the gouvernment (composed of Dressrosa/Fishmen/Alabasta/Wano) could make a bit of sence.

Yamato wants to leave ONigashima* not wano per say. Her wanting to sail the seas doesn't mean she absolutely wants to flee Wano.

Reality is not that simple

+1

+100 I've been screaming that for month now.. The current portrayal of Yamato might be strong. But it enters in complete contradiction with hermain desire.

In fact it's pretty logical when you think about it. If Yamato is supposed to be a representation of Oden, she also represents him in his contradictions... like him she wants to go at sea.. and the logical course would be for her to fight with the strawhats.. but her real desire right now is all about saving wano and dying for the Kozuki if necessary.

The will to go at sea.. is the will of Oden.. If Yamato is bound to understand to accept her own desire and to change into her real personna as "Yamato".. her desire will logically change alongside that... From wanting to sail the seas to... something else.

Leave freely will still be the main purpose.. but the way to do it might be different.

That's why I often say that becoming a guardian for herself (with her values) and not for her father's wish (with his values) would be a way to affirm that freedom.

In stories.. the desire of a character often change during the course of a character arc. It mimiquing life and the changes that comes with it.

That's why multiple strawhat had a change of desire during the course of the story and their respective character arcs:

- Zoro: From wanting to find Mihawk in order to beat him to never losing again in order to become the best swordman for Luffy.
- Nami: From wanting to stay with Arlong in order to help her village to creating maps to sea the worlds (in that instance, it's coming backto a previous desire)
- Usopp: From wanting to become a Pirate to become a proud warrior of the sea
- Sanji : From wanting to stay with Zeff to repay him.. to find the all blue at sea.
- Chopper: From wanting to stay on Drum because he was afraid of being seen as a monster to wanting to become a monster for Luffy.
- Robin: From wanting to die for the crew to wanting to live.
- Franky: From wanting to stay on Water Seven for his family to leaving with Luffy for the Sunny
- Brook: From wanting to stay in order to take back his shadow to leave with Luffy to find Laboon
- Jinbe: From wanting to stay behind to fullfil his responsibilities to leave with Luffy for his race.

I mentionned the strawhats, but it works with most important characters in the story:

- Vivi: From wanting to fight alone for her country to accepting to rely on her friends
- Rebecca: From accepting to leave appart from her toy soldier dad/to stay with him
Etc..

Desire change is part of life and part of the core of One Piece too. This is why I often say that Yamato and Carrot are bound to change to as they are both important protagonist.

Yamato will change her desire to go at sea for freedom and stay on Wano (most probably) while Carrot won't go at sea for the same reasons anymore but with another desire in mind. (at least that's what the story is currently hinting)
I'm not arguing with you anymore. We'll see who's right in just a few chapters anyway. I'm happy to chat about other things in PMs though.

I was going to address each Straw Hat individually, but I can just summarize it: Not once has any Straw Hat changed their dream. The only difference is that they are also now willing to put their lives on the line for each other. That is vastly different than giving up on their dreams.

Rebecca always wanted to live with Toy Soldier, with the ironic twist of the soldier being her dad. Her desire didn't change, she always wanted to keep living with the same person.

So explain why Yamato is the one who will fully give up her current dream to leave Wano and not her reason for leaving, but Carrot will only change her reasons for leaving Zou but not her supposed dream of leaving? Because I could easily turn this around to say that Carrot will change her desire to leave and stay on Zou especially with Oda now pairing her up with Wanda and Nekomamushi instead of any of the Straw Hats.

@CarrotForNakama do u seriously think Carrot got more chances to join or relevance to the story than Yamato?
Well.. it's not like my mind changed in a week lol

I was going to address each Straw Hat individually, but I can just summarize it: Not once has any Straw Hat changed their dream. The only difference is that they are also now willing to put their lives on the line for each other. That is vastly different than giving up on their dreams.
See, that's the problem.

You guys are arguing on the bases that Yamato has a "dream".

Wrong. She has none. It's a fan invention. Yamato never stated that leaving out to sea was her dream.
Remember that dreams have a purpose in term of character arc. Yamato going out to sea has none. (just as the fact that Carrot has no dream either)

What you are searching for is the word "desire". Yamato indeed has a strong desire, just like every strawhats or important chararacters. But that's just it. It's a desire, nothing more and in a story, desires tends to change.

You have biased yourself by thinking that Yamato had a dream. She has none, at least none that were revealed and the closest thing she has as an end goal would be to live freely. It's something that won't change weither she is on Wano or on the seas.

I repeat: Yamato has no dream stated in the story yet.

I repeat again differently: There was no dream stated for Yamato in the story.

Now that it's clear: Desires can change and Yamato's desire will most likely follow the same pass.

Rebecca always wanted to live with Toy Soldier, with the ironic twist of the soldier being her dad. Her desire didn't change, she always wanted to keep living with the same person.
Like I said, a desire can be an old desire. The character arc of Rebecca made her question that desire. Which created a change of desire making her want to stay alone at the castle. The exact reason why Luffy got mad. That's all the point of the last part of the arc where Luffy makes her admit what she really wants: to live with her dad. Her desire then changed again for the better and she choosed to follow Luffy to Kyros, therefore creating (because of Luffy) an emotionnal end to the storyline of Rebecca and Kyros.

A desire can be pretty much temporary, it's still a narrative force that brings characters to make their choices.

That's a basic and necessary part of the storytelling of One Piece.

So explain why Yamato is the one who will fully give up her current dream to leave Wano and not her reason for leaving
Like I said. No dream here. Just a strong desire. Desires can change.

but Carrot will only change her reasons for leaving Zou but not her supposed dream of leaving?
A change of desire must come in relationship to the storyline of the character arc of said character. That's why for Yamato the desire will change from the sea to Wano.. because her storyline is precisely angled in that direction:

The storyline of Onigashima is putting Yamato on the pass of the protection of Wano despite her desire to sail the sea (in opposite to Oden). This is a clue that indicates us that if Yamato has to have a change of desire, this change will concentrate on that same shift: from the sea > to Wano.

To create a shift concerning her adventure at sea, Yamato would need to have a storyline related to her vision of the sea. But this didn't happen.

(I want to go at sea and sail with Luffy because I want to be free and Luffy is Ace's brother > To > I want to protect Wano because it's what I really want to do and I'm free to choose my OWN pass)

On the contrary, that exact thing is happening to Carrot. Her vision of the sea is being challenged. Oda has been hinting us a character development for her (her defeat with Perospero, the words of Pedro), creating the expectation of a change of desire.

Carrot started with a clear vision of the sea: The sea is something simple, something easy, something fun. That precise vision has been completely shattered by her journey and her different defeats and tragedies. Now, we know that the sea is not something so easy for Carrot anymore even if she didn't stated it. So here we have the beginning of the change, the reason behind the change of desire. From there, there are multiple speculatives possibilities:

- Carrot could learn something about Luffy, making her understand that she must not go for the same reasons. That would therefore change the nature of her desire.

Or more probable:

- Carrot could pass through the same kind of change Chopper went through: She could simple refuse to return at sea. (because of what she went through and what Perospero told her". That's where the subversion dialogue "I'm not made to be a pirate" from Carrot would appear. It would be a subversion dialogue because this sentence is corrupted by the fact that it's not because you are young, or naive, or cheerful.. that you can't go on the sea.. it would go against One Piece's message. Carrot would therefore be bound to understand that she is indeed meant to go at sea.. Creating a double change of desire.. much like the majority of the strawhats
("I want to go because it's fun" > to > "I don't want to go, I'm not build for it" > to > Screw it, "I'm a pirate at heart, who cares?")

To sum up:

Yamato's desire might change from what she think freedom is to what she truly wants to do

&

Carrot's desire might change from what she think she is to what she truly wants to do

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.