Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while, had some thoughts.

Denjiro proved that Oda doesn't need an excuse to stick a character where he wants them, whether or not he shows how they get there. And yet, small as her appearances have been, Oda has taken the time this whole raid to show where Carrot is, where she's been going. He went to the trouble to show her on her way to Peros when he didn't bother to show where Wanda was at any point before then. Even now she's on the way back to the battle, despite Kaido being the last enemy to fight.

Regarding the cover story and whether Pedro is one of the shadowy figures, I have to say that for someone who might still be alive, Pedro's death sure has been brought up a lot. Wanda, Neko, Peros, Sanji, they all said in clear terms that Pedro is dead. Multiple chapters over these past 5 years have been devoted to the fallout. Luffy saved Pedro's name for last in his big moment, it garnered it's own panel and everything. Who's death has been given this much reverence except Ace and WB's? If Pedro turns out to be alive in the cover story, I'll give up right then and there because I can't see the point in subverting the way his death has continually pushed everyone forward.

With that in mind, Pedro's death pushed Carrot forward. He passed his will onto her like so many mentors before him. She has yet to accomplish anything related to it, but I personally still feel that's coming, that it hasn't happened yet because it'll be one of the most important things to cap off this arc. The dawn hasn't arrived and she hasn't given up yet, so I'm still excitedly waiting to see what exactly she will do now. Because crewmate or not, Oda has been leading Carrot to something.

I didn't. Getting a 1v1 is not a sign of importance. It only means that you are adding importance on the storytelling.
Isn't adding importance to the storytelling, you know, important??? Who Oda chooses to display these details holds weight.

Why hasn't Oda given Carrot a proper 1v1 fight? ALL Strawhats are given these type of fights.
Not at all. Pedro was not the subject. Carrot was and the emotion she bears.

It doesn't mean that Carrot was not treated like a important side character (what I call a prime character =/= main character)
What has Carrot done that was necessary for the story to progress?

"Prime character" Carrot does not eventually become "Main character" Carrot without contributing to the story's progress.
Post automatically merged:

I understand the need to see Pedro as a prime character because he took care of a huge part.. but he was just a "stool" for the story, nothing more. His death and the reactance of the characters in front of that is what mattered.
Carrot has not done anything of importance to justify Pedro as being a "stool" or being "a prop" for Carrot. Carrot's reaction was being stomped by Katakuri directly after Pedro's sacrifice on WCI and defeated by Perospero, Pedro's "killer", in Wano.

Been a while, had some thoughts.

Denjiro proved that Oda doesn't need an excuse to stick a character where he wants them, whether or not he shows how they get there. And yet, small as her appearances have been, Oda has taken the time this whole raid to show where Carrot is, where she's been going. He went to the trouble to show her on her way to Peros when he didn't bother to show where Wanda was at any point before then. Even now she's on the way back to the battle, despite Kaido being the last enemy to fight.

Regarding the cover story and whether Pedro is one of the shadowy figures, I have to say that for someone who might still be alive, Pedro's death sure has been brought up a lot. Wanda, Neko, Peros, Sanji, they all said in clear terms that Pedro is dead. Multiple chapters over these past 5 years have been devoted to the fallout. Luffy saved Pedro's name for last in his big moment, it garnered it's own panel and everything. Who's death has been given this much reverence except Ace and WB's? If Pedro turns out to be alive in the cover story, I'll give up right then and there because I can't see the point in subverting the way his death has continually pushed everyone forward.

With that in mind, Pedro's death pushed Carrot forward. He passed his will onto her like so many mentors before him. She has yet to accomplish anything related to it, but I personally still feel that's coming, that it hasn't happened yet because it'll be one of the most important things to cap off this arc. The dawn hasn't arrived and she hasn't given up yet, so I'm still excitedly waiting to see what exactly she will do now. Because crewmate or not, Oda has been leading Carrot to something.
Since you're one of those Carrot for SH fans who makes sense, what do you think of the possibility of Carrot being one of the elite forces of the unified mink army after this war (alongside Shishilian, etc.)? I personally believe that Carrot will become a d'Artagnan of the mink army and will have a cover story alongside the former Musketeer Squad...

Since you're one of those Carrot for SH fans who makes sense, what do you think of the possibility of Carrot being one of the elite forces of the unified mink army after this war (alongside Shishilian, etc.)? I personally believe that Carrot will become a d'Artagnan of the mink army and will have a cover story alongside the former Musketeer Squad...
Despite my personal feelings, I can accept something like that as entirely possible, in the same way that I can accept Yamato may end up being the one to join. But I have my doubts that Carrot's being led that way, specifically because of Pedro's death. It's such a vital part of her character growth, and tragedy has been one of the defining aspects that makes a Straw Hat. More important is how she shares that tragedy with the Straw Hats. Pedro died specifically for the Straw Hats, and they and she were hit hard by that. Pedro died for a more important reason than for her to just continue as a Mink officer. He died to pursue the dawn, believed the Straw Hats would achieve it and impressed their importance onto her. It makes perfect sense to me that she'll want to specifically go with them on their journey.

He died to pursue the dawn, believed the Straw Hats would achieve it and impressed their importance onto her. It makes perfect sense to me that she'll want to specifically go with them on their journey.
I would need to see something from Carrot herself that gave any indication that she cares as much as Pedro did, or even at all. During the raid, she cared more about revenge than seeing the Straw Hats' mission through of bringing the Dawn to Wano by helping Momo. If Pedro really did leave that impression, then Oda has done an extremely poor job of conveying that.

I would need to see something from Carrot herself that gave any indication that she cares as much as Pedro did, or even at all. During the raid, she cared more about revenge than seeing the Straw Hats' mission through of bringing the Dawn to Wano by helping Momo. If Pedro really did leave that impression, then Oda has done an extremely poor job of conveying that.
I hear you. I need to see that too. It's just that I'm expecting we will see that, since she didn't get the revenge she was after and is instead moving to another part of the battle. Again, Pedro didn't die just so Carrot could fail at avenging him and not accomplish anything. There's a reason she had to try and fail, there's something she has to figure out from her failure, and I believe whatever it is she learns will tie back into what Pedro said to her.

Isn't adding importance to the storytelling, you know, important??? Who Oda chooses to display these details holds weight.
Of course it is, but you have to be careful not to confuse different type of importance; the one for the storytelling / narration and the one for the entire story. Pedro might be important, he is just a stool for the characters reactance later. And that's ok, it's a very good character anyway.

What has Carrot done that was necessary for the story to progress?
Here specifically it's not about what Carrot did, it's about what Carrot has been setup to become.

"Prime character" Carrot does not eventually become "Main character" Carrot without contributing to the story's progress.
Carrot is not a main character, at least not for now, but her development is heading this way.

Carrot has not done anything of importance to justify Pedro as being a "stool" or being "a prop" for Carrot.
Again, it's not about what she has done (even when she did actually 888/902) it's about what she is setup to become. It's about all the clew that PROVES that she is being setup for something greater.

Carrot's reaction was being stomped by Katakuri directly after Pedro's sacrifice on WCI and defeated by Perospero, Pedro's "killer", in Wano.
Precisely, and those two situation are common in a setup storyline. The protagonist being defeated and not being able to face correctely his demons is right up there on the list of setup material for a come back of the protagonist.

Because you forgot to take into account the possibility of Carrot sneaking on the ship.
No I didn’t. I took all variations an possibilities into account. And the math is clear. Carrot is not joining, not sneaking on to the Sunny. And btw sneaking on to the ship is not joining the crew. It is being an annoying little brat, that shows up uninvited to the party. You have those people in real life and they are annoying AF.

If Carrot and Caribou can still easily sneak, knowing that they already infiltrated aboard once, then SHs are in danger... They can't afford to commit the same mistake of not properly guarding the ship from uninvited intruders...
With the current level of observation haki on the ship that’s impossible according to me. Luffy can see the future and sense emotions like no else. Zoros CoO is also exceptional, let’s not talk about sanji who is always portrayed as having amazing CoO, usopp can pinpoint people and even make out their features. Yamato and jinbe are on the ship as well. Carrot stands no chance to slip in.

Status
Not open for further replies.