Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's never a case in which a straw hat is introduced so late into an arc and then joined at the end of that arc. And this isn't just some random pattern either. It's done so that readers have the biggest impression of those characters since they are some of the first things seen of the new island. In addition to allowing for way more time for development of the character throughout the arc.

Let's provide some proof:

Romance Dawn - Chapters 1-7
Zoro - Name dropped chapter 2, Introduced chapter 3

Orange Town - Chapters 8-21
Nami - First appearance chapter 1 colour spread, Introduced chapter 8

Syrup Village - Chapters 23-41
Usopp - Introduced chapter 23

Baratie - Chapters 42-68
Sanji - Introduced chapter 43

Drum Kingdom - Chapters 130-154
Chopper - Introduced chapter 134

Alabasta - Chapters 155-217
Robin - Introduced chapter 114, multiple arcs in advance

Water 7 - Chapters 322-374
Franky - Name dropped chapter 327, Half intro chapter 329, Full intro chapter 335

Thriller Bark - Chapters 442-489
Brook - Introduced Chapter 442

WCI - Chapters 825-902
Jinbe - Name dropped chapter 69, Introduced chapter 528, waaaay in advance

In some cases, straw hats are introduced way before the arc they join. But they are NEVER introduced late into the arc. And as mentioned above, there's specific reasons that's the case. Just look at the scabbards. 5 of them were introduced before Wano even began. Kiku was introduced extremely early in the arc and then the Kawamatsu, Denjiro and Ashura Doji were all foreshadowed early on and were then teased even further with Holdem mentioning AD before his intro, Kawamatsu's constant silhouettes and Denjiro being Kyoshiro all along.

Things would be a bit better if Yamato was supposed to be some secret child that people didn't know about. It would explain why there wasn't a single mention of her for 70 chapters. But that's not the case. Everyone knows about Yamato, including BP fodders, Ulti talks about Kaido's family issues as if it is a regular occurrence, yet there were no name drops, mysterious appearances or anything regarding Yamato. Yamato only being mentioned a measly 4 chapters before appearing, despite the arc being 70 chapters long already. Pudding, a character in the exact same situation as Yamato as a daughter of a yonko was shown waaaay in advance all the way back at Fishman Island with intriguing ellipses and an apparent disgust towards Big Mom.
Ain't none of that for Yamato.

Compare that to Carrot...Zou arc started chapter 802, they arrived on Zou in chapter 804, which was also the same chapter Carrot was introduced in.

The last straw hat has to the toughest job of trying to feel like a real member of the crew that has shared in their experiences, despite joining the latest. We're so far into the game and they've missed so much already that it would only make sense for Oda to try and include them in as much of the journey as possible. A character joining the crew that was introduced in Wano was already tough enough since so much has happened, but for that character to be introduced this late into the arc, also with practically zero foreshadowing and build up is simply taking the mic. Carrot's been with the crew since Zou and has fought an emperor with them and saved their lives fighting a fleet singlehandedly for them. It's clear which character Oda's been working on for a long time in building relationships both with the crew and with the readers. And it's not the one first introduced 75 chapters into the damn arc. :seriously:
Wow this is an impressive research you did there! You have just decrease my hope for yamato by considerable percentage :'(

Meh that doesn't matter as much as the context of the character.
As I said, I haven't lost my hope completely. But let's accept : he do have a nice argument and effort that deserve some respect.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe one more? It depends if Teach is considered one of the Ten Titanic Captains or not. the SH main crew and BB crew is going to match at Laugh Tale, each fighting their opposites based on crew-roles (Zoro vs Shiryuu, Burgess and Jinbe, etc). IIRC, Jinbe makes ten SH's with Luffy, right? So if BB has one more, then we'll need someone like Carrot to join up.
I think moria will most likely join BB, just my feeling tho.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
There's never a case in which a straw hat is introduced so late into an arc and then joined at the end of that arc. And this isn't just some random pattern either. It's done so that readers have the biggest impression of those characters since they are some of the first things seen of the new island. In addition to allowing for way more time for development of the character throughout the arc.

Let's provide some proof:

Romance Dawn - Chapters 1-7
Zoro - Name dropped chapter 2, Introduced chapter 3

Orange Town - Chapters 8-21
Nami - First appearance chapter 1 colour spread, Introduced chapter 8

Syrup Village - Chapters 23-41
Usopp - Introduced chapter 23

Baratie - Chapters 42-68
Sanji - Introduced chapter 43

Drum Kingdom - Chapters 130-154
Chopper - Introduced chapter 134

Alabasta - Chapters 155-217
Robin - Introduced chapter 114, multiple arcs in advance

Water 7 - Chapters 322-374
Franky - Name dropped chapter 327, Half intro chapter 329, Full intro chapter 335

Thriller Bark - Chapters 442-489
Brook - Introduced Chapter 442

WCI - Chapters 825-902
Jinbe - Name dropped chapter 69, Introduced chapter 528, waaaay in advance

In some cases, straw hats are introduced way before the arc they join. But they are NEVER introduced late into the arc. And as mentioned above, there's specific reasons that's the case. Just look at the scabbards. 5 of them were introduced before Wano even began. Kiku was introduced extremely early in the arc and then the Kawamatsu, Denjiro and Ashura Doji were all foreshadowed early on and were then teased even further with Holdem mentioning AD before his intro, Kawamatsu's constant silhouettes and Denjiro being Kyoshiro all along.

Things would be a bit better if Yamato was supposed to be some secret child that people didn't know about. It would explain why there wasn't a single mention of her for 70 chapters. But that's not the case. Everyone knows about Yamato, including BP fodders, Ulti talks about Kaido's family issues as if it is a regular occurrence, yet there were no name drops, mysterious appearances or anything regarding Yamato. Yamato only being mentioned a measly 4 chapters before appearing, despite the arc being 70 chapters long already. Pudding, a character in the exact same situation as Yamato as a daughter of a yonko was shown waaaay in advance all the way back at Fishman Island with intriguing ellipses and an apparent disgust towards Big Mom.
Ain't none of that for Yamato.

Compare that to Carrot...Zou arc started chapter 802, they arrived on Zou in chapter 804, which was also the same chapter Carrot was introduced in.

The last straw hat has to the toughest job of trying to feel like a real member of the crew that has shared in their experiences, despite joining the latest. We're so far into the game and they've missed so much already that it would only make sense for Oda to try and include them in as much of the journey as possible. A character joining the crew that was introduced in Wano was already tough enough since so much has happened, but for that character to be introduced this late into the arc, also with practically zero foreshadowing and build up is simply taking the mic. Carrot's been with the crew since Zou and has fought an emperor with them and saved their lives fighting a fleet singlehandedly for them. It's clear which character Oda's been working on for a long time in building relationships both with the crew and with the readers. And it's not the one first introduced 75 chapters into the damn arc. :seriously:
Because something arbitrary has happened one way for years, it’s impossible to think it will ever change :okay:

This is just a long winded way of making a flimsy argument. All the current SHP showing up early doesn’t mean dick; their characterization, ambitions, and interactions with Luffy matter way more than the number of the chapter we first see them in. Jinbe’s recruitment was a complete aberration, proving that there is no hard and fast rule for joining the crew. To dismiss Yamato right out of hand for some shit like this is ridiculous.

My take is that nothing prevent Yamato from being a future SH. But she doesn't need to to explain her prominence in the arc - being Kaidou's only child and an Oden admirer inside the BP is enough, really.

Hell, it's clear that Oda is planning for multiple recruits in this arc, what with postponing Jinbe's arrival's feast. And if Carrot and Yamato are indeed also recruited, it'd fit the MFMM pattern : Jinbe, Carrot, Yamato (who self identify as a man so far) and possibly one last recruit (a Logia?) in the future (please, not Caribou!).

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
@dizzy2341 By the way, Yamato not showing up early in this particular arc means even less than nothing to me. Wano has been teased, foreshadowed, and hyped to no end for a long time, with a lot of long-running threads finally coming to a head here...there was so much other shit at play that needed to be addressed first that introducing her the second they landed on the island would have been confusing and incredibly poor writing. There’d be no dramatic tension for a lot of the arc if that were the case, so it makes perfect sense to introduce her as a ringer halfway through, just as her dreams and personality make her a natural fit for Luffy’s crew regardless of the fact that she showed up 75 chapters into the arc. I just do not accept this line of thinking as unassailable.

As I said, wait and see. Wasn't too long ago people were claiming Ulti to be a nakama candidate. She has a strong introduction, but I'd rather know what motives drive her. If she has a goal beyond opening Wano's borders, like all the retainers are doing right now, and steps out from being an Oden fangirl then sure run nuts. But we're not seeing that outside of a cool introduction and a strong female character.

EDIT: Also like @dizzy2341 had said, was introduced way too late in the climactic battle of the arc without a prelude outside 8 chapters ago when the Straw Hats were already beginning the raid.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
As I said, wait and see. Wasn't too long ago people were claiming Ulti to be a nakama candidate. She has a strong introduction, but I'd rather know what motives drive her. If she has a goal beyond opening Wano's borders, like all the retainers are doing right now, and steps out from being an Oden fangirl then sure run nuts. But we're not seeing that outside of a cool introduction and a strong female character.
I haven’t stumped this hard for Ulti or any other character in more than a decade. I never even believed Carrot had a real shot at becoming a Straw Hat. This is different, though...Yamato’s introduction immediately set off alarms for a lot of people who already think she’s a natural fit. A lot of that is reflexive, sure, and I don’t doubt that some are simply taking a shot in the dark as usual, but come on - she’s a dissenter of her dad’s ideology, she relates to the guy that traveled with Luffy’s closest parallel, she clearly has a dream to achieve and restrictions holding her back from doing the same, she’s strong enough to hang with the bigger baddies...what else do you need?

My take is that nothing prevent Yamato from being a future SH. But she doesn't need to to explain her prominence in the arc - being Kaidou's only child and an Oden admirer inside the BP is enough, really.

Hell, it's clear that Oda is planning for multiple recruits in this arc, what with postponing Jinbe's arrival's feast. And if Carrot and Yamato are indeed also recruited, it'd fit the MFMM pattern : Jinbe, Carrot, Yamato (who self identify as a man so far) and possibly one last recruit (a Logia?) in the future (please, not Caribou!).
oda could change that pattern
to MFFM or MFFF

I haven’t stumped this hard for Ulti or any other character in more than a decade. I never even believed Carrot had a real shot at becoming a Straw Hat. This is different, though...Yamato’s introduction immediately set off alarms for a lot of people who already think she’s a natural fit. A lot of that is reflexive, sure, and I don’t doubt that some are simply taking a shot in the dark as usual, but come on - she’s a dissenter of her dad’s ideology, she relates to the guy that traveled with Luffy’s closest parallel, she clearly has a dream to achieve and restrictions holding her back from doing the same, she’s strong enough to hang with the bigger baddies...what else do you need?
Yamato's introduction was a mirror of Oden because she actively imitates him, right down to the clothes, taking up a male gender, and reading his journal. Even inheriting his will to open Wano's borders because she assumes Oden's previous retainers are dead. Also, she was introduced way later into the arc with no build-up outside of when the Fire Festival started nor was her named dropped by anyone prior to that. Literally Chapter 977, 70+ chapters into the arc, we find out the existence of Kaido's "son."

As I said, wait and see. People tend to immediately gravitate towards the "cool" characters first. Seriously, I didn't think Carrot even had potential to be of narrative importance till she stowed away Chapter 823 for seemingly no reason, something Oda never does. Especially for characters as long-term like her. Then I was reaffirmed in Chapter 877 after Pedro's sacrifice. I don't know where the narrative is going to take Carrot, but its a mystery why she's even still here. For Yamato, she has an agenda literally all the Scabbards have, so if she doesn't have something else beyond that, then I don't see it.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
oda could change that pattern
to MFFM or MFFF
How inflexible does someone have to be to not acknowledge the fact that change is not only possible in all things, it’s the driving force behind literally everything in the real AND One Piece worlds?? “BuT tHiS iS hOw He’S aLwAyS dOnE iT!!” is the least important thing here, and yet some folks are clinging to it like the mantra by which Oda lives his life.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
We got carried away too much because we like this or that character and would love him in the crew.
The harsh truth is that probably nobody will be joining or at the very best just one character.

Mirroring Shanks' and Blackbeard's crew, Strawhats are already at the same number count.
If Blackbeard's 10th titanic captain is someone else, Strawhats might need another member to mirror that but such an issue could always be solved by an temporary ally of the arc in which they will face off.

If oda really care about colors thats why he delay jinbe joining
Then may he also care about this order in English alphabet

AB - BROOK
CD- CHOPPER
EF - FRANKY
GH -
IJ - JINBE
KL - LUFFY
MN - NAMI
OP
QR - ROBIN
ST - SANJI