Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Her dream is not to just "have an adventure".

She literally wants to be like Oden and (now it gets really important) she wants to fullfil Oden's dream. That's why she immediately stated "Strawhat Luffy, you're the man I've been waiting for! Waiting for a very long time!"

In order to really become like Oden and even fullfil his final wish, she has to go on this adventure with Luffy.
Oden didn't put his faith in Luffy just because he will "only" open up Wano. This is much bigger. It's about the "dawn of the world", like both Toki and Oden said.
Opening the borders of Wano is another dream she can’t achieve without Luffy, the only notable difference is that it should be accomplished by the end of this arc. Therefore, seeing how he helped her reach one goal, I think she’ll want to carry out the part of Oden’s will that helped Roger reach Laugh Tale :akaman:

But it's TRUE what you are saying is just assumptions on how it'll turn out. Don't lie.
What I am saying are just assumptions, but its also just as assumptive to believe that up-heaving the system in the way both Fisher Tiger did, who burned down Mariejois, and Otohime's peaceful approach, who attended the Reverie to make Fishman Island recognized by the World Government, when Jinbe never specifies how he plans on doing so.

That's what I'm saying. "Going on an adventure", not a dream. Focus on the freeing of Wano and making that something that actually requires joining the Pirate Kings crew, actually a dream.
It comes down to the question if she's happy with just opening up Wano or if she really wants to fullfil Oden's and Toki's dream. This would connect us to the dawn of the world aka final war.

If it's the former, she'll probably not join.
If it's the latter (what I believe), she has a really good shot.

Well, yes, I do agree that there are higher standards for Strawhats.

It's why I've argued against Carrot for years, who would represent a compete lowering of standards over what makes up a main character.
And why people have stated again and again that Carrot is not ready to join as she is now, but that there are credible reasons to believe she will be developed to that point overtime.

But we were talking about Yamato and seemingly the lack of thought Oda put into making her a significant character.

Abolishing the years of oppression and bias towards their race won't really help that. While destroying the system will enable "true freedom," it won't guarantee being able to end discrimination unless something else happens.
Are you expecting Oda to come up with a real world cure for racism here? We're not going to get a forty chapter epilogue focusing on the gradual changes in perception towards Jinbei that eventually gives us world peace. We'll get him settling the Fishmen in the world above, waving an equal rights declaration that gets unanimously passed by the good kings of the world like Riku and the good Marines like Coby that make up the new government then bam, the end. Fishman plot gets a happy ending, message that racism is bad received.
And why people have stated again and again that Carrot is not ready to join as she is now, but that there are credible reasons to believe she will be developed to that point overtime.

But we were talking about Yamato and seemingly the lack of thought Oda put into making her a significant character.
And there's no credible reason to think that Yamato could be developed into a main character simply because of when she was introduced into the arc? Rather hypocritical there. She's the daughter of a Yonko that she's going to betray and a friend of Ace, Oda has clearly out thought into her being a significant character.

Are you expecting Oda to come up with a real world cure for racism here? We're not going to get a forty chapter epilogue focusing on the gradual changes in perception towards Jinbei that eventually gives us world peace. We'll get him settling the Fishmen in the world above, waving an equal rights declaration that gets unanimously passed by the good kings of the world like Riku and the good Marines like Coby that make up the new government then bam, the end. Fishman plot gets a happy ending, message that racism is bad received.
Yeah, I kinda am. Because both Otohime and Tiger's goals were try not to discriminate against humans due to their ignorance and perceptions of their race. For Fisher Tiger, Koala showed that if humans are ignorant about the differences between their races, then there is a chance for peace. Otohime showed that the kids of Fishman Island should not bear witness the violence against humans, or the cycle of hatred will continue. In the same vein, how that goal to bring the fishman race true equality is not tangible on his end and to "see the sun". The only one capable of that is Shirahoshi, who is Poseidon, a WMD that the Sea Kings have apparently been waiting every few hundred years for. Also, considering how little we know of Coby's agenda is also assuming too much.

EDIT: Messed up Pluton and Poseidon.

Last edited:

If we get Luffy reacting to her like this when she starts to show off in the war then we'll really have something to talk about.
When/if she shows off her power, if she has one. I can see this totally happening then
Post automatically merged:

It comes down to the question if she's happy with just opening up Wano or if she really wants to fullfil Oden's and Toki's dream. This would connect us to the dawn of the world aka final war.

If it's the former, she'll probably not join.
If it's the latter (what I believe), she has a really good shot.

I think it'll come down to what the fuck Toki was even doing in Wano in the first place. 800 years prior she wasn't in Wano, yet originated from there. Her whole goal was returning there and we still have no idea why this was important. I figure its heavily tied to the EoS obviously, but perhaps Yamato, through Odens journal, will question this and try to find out why.

Hell, there is a chance Toki is still alive, her death was never shown. If that's the case, I can see Yamato inheriting whatever desire her character had/has.

Last edited:
And there's no credible reason to think that Yamato could be developed into a main character simply because of when she was introduced into the arc? Rather hypocritical there. She's the daughter of a Yonko that she's going to betray and a friend of Ace, Oda has clearly out thought into her being a significant character.
Quite the opposite. The same argument supports one and puts down the other.

Carrot's been in the story, travelling with the straw hats on their ship as a close companion from Zou, to WCI and now to Wano where she is playing a role comparable to a straw hat. Carrot had no reason to go to Zou, yet Oda brought her anyway, and then gave her one of the highest panel counts out of everyone in the arc, beating multiple straw hats. Despite, yet again, having absolutely no in story reason for her presence in the arc. She was the first character introduced after the straw hats arrived on the back of Zou and has been with them ever since. Oda's clearly developing her and didn't just randomly decide to bring a character along for the funnies.

Yamato on the other hand was introduced very late into the final arc of the saga and the culmination of almost a decade of work. Given only a handful of chapters of buildup, as opposed to other significant characters in the saga like Pudding, Jack, Orochi, Oden who had been hinted at hundreds of chapters in advance.

Chiffon was also the daughter of a yonko that she was going to betray, she'd also been abused by said yonko, she was the wife of a supernova and had ties to old friends of the crew. Not to mention knowledge on Big Mom's past You could say she was significant if you want but...

Fact of the matter is, we're reaching the culmination of an epic saga and this character has just been introduced at the very end of it, with hardly any build up leading up to it. As I said before, there's a reason Franky wasn't introduced just before the battles for the keys.

Quite the opposite. The same argument supports one and puts down the other.

Carrot's been in the story, travelling with the straw hats on their ship as a close companion from Zou, to WCI and now to Wano where she is playing a role comparable to a straw hat. Carrot had no reason to go to Zou, yet Oda brought her anyway, and then gave her one of the highest panel counts out of everyone in the arc, beating multiple straw hats. Despite, yet again, having absolutely no in story reason for her presence in the arc. She was the first character introduced after the straw hats arrived on the back of Zou and has been with them ever since. Oda's clearly developing her and didn't just randomly decide to bring a character along for the funnies.

Yamato on the other hand was introduced very late into the final arc of the saga and the culmination of almost a decade of work. Given only a handful of chapters of buildup, as opposed to other significant characters in the saga like Pudding, Jack, Orochi, Oden who had been hinted at hundreds of chapters in advance.

Chiffon was also the daughter of a yonko that she was going to betray, she'd also been abused by said yonko, she was the wife of a supernova and had ties to old friends of the crew. Not to mention knowledge on Big Mom's past You could say she was significant if you want but...

Fact of the matter is, we're reaching the culmination of an epic saga and this character has just been introduced at the very end of it, with hardly any build up leading up to it. As I said before, there's a reason Franky wasn't introduced just before the battles for the keys.
I agree the part you said in the final arc of the saga, Yamato said she meet Ace just like Tama didn’t mean both of them will join that’s wrong and not the way, I mean you need to have a role in the Sunny. So Yamato be better off with the Revolutionary Army or be captain of the Beast Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.