General & Others Oda is a good or bad writer?

H

Homelander

I would list him as Tolekins of japan . If he had never been mangaka perhaps he would have been great novelist because i like how he keeps thing simple and complex at times . The plot of One piece is more than a pirate -marine war oda also points the one piece world has undelying racism , elitistism , slavery and there are good and bad people exist on both side of spectrum .

Oda def made me like charactr such as Lucci , Enel , Doffy who are not just stereotype bad guys but they have ultimate reason that lead them to become one because they saw the world differently .

C

Celestia

He is a good writer seeing from the past arcs , the characters he write which we love and stan but my problem with one piece is :

Series is running for a long time , most cases the work will decrease in quality, things become repeated, plots , characters etc , also the last arcs (WCI , Wano or post time-skip ) aren't on the level of the great arcs before so it's more like writing become bad not the author himself is bad

OP could have ended at its peak and it would be better overall but yea money and dragging is what made it this way
And lose the quality

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Yes, Oda's a good author. You don't climb your way to the top spot for years, gain a global (and consistent) following without a modicum of skill. Despite being disappointed weekly by Oda's most recent releases, it'd be silly of me to deny that he's had way more hits than misses. We have plenty of good arcs, East Blue as a whole, Alabasta, Skypeia, Water 7 and Ennis Lobby, the Summit War Saga and even Dressrosa wasn't that bad.

The question should probably be reshuffled as; Is Oda still as good an author as he once was? Which, I'll easily say no. Plenty of favorite characters feel shallow the further we get in the manga. Generally less crew interaction and I find his attempts to push new, integral characters each arc to be horribly lazy (O'Tama and Oden are my main examples). He's still just as creative, if not more so, but it feels like he has less focus now and the much larger cast of characters is getting the best of him.

We meander around characters like Urameshi who I doubt will play major roles in Wano's climax—best I can see is discovering his courage to help O'Kiku—but then someone like Toki is side lined for an entire flashback based around her husband's adventures. We have many interesting characters to hit on and see how the alliance is pushing to liberate Wano, but instead we get our second Luffy training arc within 60 chapters (the only two training arcs Luffy's ever had, to boot!).

That's not to say Oda's horrible and everything he does is shit, or he forgot how to write. Any time Reverie or the interval chapters between the Wano Acts come up, I'm pretty stoked to see what else is going on.

I would list him as Tolekins of japan . If he had never been mangaka perhaps he would have been great novelist because i like how he keeps thing simple and complex at times . The plot of One piece is more than a pirate -marine war oda also points the one piece world has undelying racism , elitistism , slavery and there are good and bad people exist on both side of spectrum .
If you want to praise Oda for developing a story with a multilayered conflict then comparing him to Tolkien is a bit strange considering that, while Tolkien is a great writer, the conflict in The Lord of the Rings was undoubtedly one of Good vs Evil which is not multilayered at all.

One piece is awesome, could be better definitely but like everything.

Oda has his flaws and there are better stories outside, better writers too. But what he has already done is quite huge.

Yes he is a good writer.
Who is better than him ?
Post automatically merged:

First and foremost he's a human with ups and downs.

Majority of the time i find his writing to be very, very good, but there were times where it was absolutely ridiculous to a point in which i question the role of his editors.....

Overall Oda is a good writer, definitely not the best or my favourite mangaka, but to be relevant after 20 years kinda confirms that he has to be somewhat of a good writer otherwise the series would've gotten axed immediately.

When i start to read Shounen manga that isn't Hxh, then i tend to lower my expectations anyways
That’s totally not right
Iam a fan of hunter x hunter and know how genius togashi is
But oda is a better writer
He is the best mangaka of course

Good.
Lol we are hundered years younger to criticise Oda as bad writer when we haven't written any single piece of art lol. Oda's Onepiece continues to be one of the best selling Mangas even after 20 years, so he indeed counts as Good writer. And that itself shouldn't be up for discussion.

But, if he is one of the Best writers? than i personally don't think so. I think his writing has many flaws, and i dont look fwd to Onepiece chapters as much as i used to in the past. So i think many are better than him presently.
Lol
Dude no one better than oda
You say many ? Tell me about them

When talking about manga, Oda's certainly a good writer. If he wasn't then he wouldn't have been able to create such a sensation with OP and for it to become as big as it has.

Is he the greatest of all time? Not a chance. Is he the best in Jump now? Nope. Is he in the top 5 in Jump now? I'd argue not, as One Piece is not where it once was.

Oda certainly has tons of amazing ideas, really great thematic writing and an incredible living world. This was something that really excelled pre timeskip, but OP has simply got too big and Oda can't cope with it. Rushing, skipping, splitting up the main cast, etc. Can't execute all that is in his head effectively.

OP has had some truly terrible moments recently, but when looking at the work as a whole, it's still good, just greatly dropped in quality. Oda's a good writer, but certainly not the mastermind genius he's bigged up to be.
Oda of course is the mastermind genius he begged up to be
The before time skip is more funnier of course
But after time skip the ideas has more quality and more dark moments and brilliant reality projections
When you talk about dressrosa arc and wholecake arc you will certainly find them from the best 5 arcs in one piece ,dreasrosa arc with the doll’s house or doflamingo brilliant character , dressrosa is a masterpiece of course and barely no mistake

Oda is very good at designing characters and places on a superficial level. His wordplay and cultural references are outstanding and he excels at creating iconic and memorable moments in his series.

Where he suffers, however, is in logical consistency and stringing his ideas together. He wanted Sanji to make a cake. He wanted to reveal Sanji’s family and extended backstory. Ultimately delivered in neither aspect with an unsatisfying ending to the Judge/Ichiji/Niji/Sora/Sanji familial bond and an utter failure of a cake plot line that underwhelmed fans and... I would say it underwhelmed Germa too except they never saw the damn thing. Oden carrying his retainers and marching to Orochi’s castle are beautifully drawn. However the reasoning behind the plot line is incredibly weak and there are too many confounding elements for the mature, critically minded reader to enjoy the story fully. Logic went out the window in WCI and seems that Wano is no different. Better to deliver the basics of Shonen (cool designs, cool moments and fights) and do it well than to attempt to be too creative and fail.
How logic went out the window in wci ? It was a masterpiece arc
Oda isnt trying to be too creative because he really is
Only a genius can make a masterpiece like WCI
Oda is the best mangaka he wouldnt just deliver the basics of shonen
Tell me about WCI issues (if there is )

Oda is the greatest mangaka of course
He made a huge complex world with a huge story with many well-written characters
The reality projections and the high quality stories in one piece made it the best manga indeed

Hahaha, my feelings have DEFINITELY changed since I commented on this thread a year ago...
Wow , so how do you feel know
I see that every stolyline oda goes to was intended from the beginning
Man the germa storyline was foreshadowed in the jaya arc and wano was foreshadowed in water seven manga covers
Oda is a mastermind genius of course

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Wow , so how do you feel know
I see that every stolyline oda goes to was intended from the beginning
Man the germa storyline was foreshadowed in the jaya arc and wano was foreshadowed in water seven manga covers
Oda is a mastermind genius of course
I used to think he was a good writer making bad choices...but doing that long enough kinda just makes you a bad writer in my estimation. This is separate from my feelings about the work itself; obviously, I wouldn’t waste so much fucking time on this forum if I didn’t love One Piece, but objectively, Oda’s pacing issues have become unavoidably painful, and the more bizarre narrative decisions are acceptable only because our sense of disbelief was suspended starting in chapter 1. Wano has been good for a few specific reasons, but overall, this entire arc has felt bloated and aimless in a lot of ways. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that the remainder of the series will be handled as well as it could be, even if Oda is still the most qualified man in the world to finish this story.

He streched to much. He is a very good story teller but the story should have been smaller. Still deserves lots of respect even if hes been failing a bit last arcs.

I used to think he was a good writer making bad choices...but doing that long enough kinda just makes you a bad writer in my estimation. This is separate from my feelings about the work itself; obviously, I wouldn’t waste so much fucking time on this forum if I didn’t love One Piece, but objectively, Oda’s pacing issues have become unavoidably painful, and the more bizarre narrative decisions are acceptable only because our sense of disbelief was suspended starting in chapter 1. Wano has been good for a few specific reasons, but overall, this entire arc has felt bloated and aimless in a lot of ways. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that the remainder of the series will be handled as well as it could be, even if Oda is still the most qualified man in the world to finish this story.
Personally I have appreciated most of Wano arc but the end of Oden's flashback, the Udon mini arc, the waterfall issue and the raid really taint and drag the whole arc down.
The fact that he also can't prevent Big Mom from hurting the Straw Hats without some bad and ridiculous issue, or Smoothie and her group from having a real fight or from reaching Wano without lazily written reasons too, and his treatment of several other female characters such as Rebecca or Tashigi really show some of Oda's limits and it's clear that he isn't very good with female characters.

You won't find an Azula, a Katara or a Toph in One Piece.

Don’t throw thinga like this , tell me about bad choices(there isnt)
The mean purpose of one piece is representing the reality
Wano arc show us the poverty and slavery
A mother kills her baby in order not to starve
And a greet idea like S A D
and the fact that kuzoki clan made the poneglyphs
And killing kaido the emperor ?
how on earth is wano aimless ?

Personally I have appreciated most of Wano arc but the end of Oden's flashback, the Udon mini arc, the waterfall issue and the raid really taint and drag the whole arc down.
The fact that he also can't prevent Big Mom from hurting the Straw Hats without some bad and ridiculous issue, or Smoothie and her group from having a real fight or from reaching Wano without lazily written reasons too, and his treatment of several other female characters such as Rebecca or Tashigi really show some of Oda's limits and it's clear that he isn't very good with female characters.

The fight is still long
Smothie will fight
And a strawhat will die
It’s obvious
No lazily written reasons

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower

Oden’s flashback did way, WAY more harm to the flow of the story than good - it was the longest flashback in the series by a mile, it just made a character we’re supposed to blindly admire look like an ineffectual asshat, and it felt like it came at a weird time, right before the war began instead of earlier when Kin’emon was explaining the same shit to Luffy and the other WCI stragglers. Speaking of, I’m not half the BMP fan you are, and I think it’s pitiful what he’s turned them into since the Reverie...what Oda plans to do with Big Mom (have her defeated? Turn into an ally? What about the dozens and dozens of kids?) is becoming one of the more intriguing mysteries in the series, and not for the right reasons.

Oden’s flashback did way, WAY more harm to the flow of the story than good - it was the longest flashback in the series by a mile, it just made a character we’re supposed to blindly admire look like an ineffectual asshat, and it felt like it came at a weird time, right before the war began instead of earlier when Kin’emon was explaining the same shit to Luffy and the other WCI stragglers. Speaking of, I’m not half the BMP fan you are, and I think it’s pitiful what he’s turned them into since the Reverie...what Oda plans to do with Big Mom (have her defeated? Turn into an ally? What about the dozens and dozens of kids?) is becoming one of the more intriguing mysteries in the series, and not for the right reasons.
If big mom is dead katakuri will become the captain of big mom pirates
Just like marco
It is obvious
No mestry

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Don’t throw thinga like this , tell me about bad choices(there isnt)
The mean purpose of one piece is representing the reality
Wano arc show us the poverty and slavery
A mother kills her baby in order not to starve
And a greet idea like S A D
and the fact that kuzoki clan made the poneglyphs
And killing kaido the emperor ?
how on earth is wano aimless ?

The fight is still long
Smothie will fight
And a strawhat will die
It’s obvious
No lazily written reasons
What exactly does the poverty aspect have to do with anything, other than give Luffy additional motivation to beat a character he’d been targeting since Punk Hazard? You’re equating the word “aimless” with meaning there’s no clear goal; defeating Kaido is the aim, anyone can see that...but the war swelling around them, with its many disparate parts failing to coalesce (we see brief snatches of Franky and Sasaki or Usopp/Nami with Ulti/P1 with no resolution or fleshing out) and more players than the author seems to realize, is just meandering outside of the rooftop. You can’t sit here and say that this is anything like Marineford, the arc this one has been and will always be judged by, because the stakes were emphasized way more back then. We know that the winner of the battle in Onigashima will be the front runner for the position of Pirate King, but I’m not the only one who feels like the ends won’t necessarily justify these means.

Last edited:
Yep Oda by using Shinobu and the Scabbards tried to make us believe that Oden wasn't in the wrong about his choices, but him cowering to Kaido and Orochi so dumbly and easely and humiliating himself, while costing himself and his people their chance of saving Wano was just too stupid for me to feel respect or any hint of approval about his reasonning.

Kaido was completely right to call Oden a foolish lord (and even he's being too nice to him) and to point out how he could have sparred his country and people from so much suffering and death if he had chosen to keep fighting instead of cowering and humiliating himself.