Chapter Discussion Official English Translation Of "Controversial" Part Of This Chapter

So I want to discuss the official translations for the part of this chapter involving Queen's conversation. The official English Translation is... off to say the least. Let's compare it with other translations we have, shall we.

Japanese Raws:

Translation courtesy of @PuckTheGreat:

Queen: So that's Ronoroa Zoro....
Queen: It'd be best to crush their 2nd and 3rd best fighters as quickly as possible........
Queen: Still...to think that Judge's son was part of their crew...
Queen: Vinsmoke Judge...

Official Spanish Translation:

Translation:
In case you're curious, the Spanish official translation of Queen's words are actually closer to the first ones and quite differente from the official in English. Roughly translated, he says this:

That's Roronoa Zoro, uh? We need to take the second and third in command down as soon as possible. Yet, I couldn't imagine that Judge's son was part of their crew...
Another translation from @JioFreed :
Queen: That's Roronoa Zoro, eh...?
Queen: We have to take down the second and third in command as soon as possible.
Queen: Still, i didn't imagine...that Judge's son was part of his crew.

Unofficial English Translation:

Official English Translation:

:choppawhat:

I honestly don't understand where they got "And that other guy" from. It makes it seem like Queen is continuing his sentence from Drake rather than starting a new one. The Japanese raws just say "That's" and the Official Spanish and Unofficial English follows true to that.
The Official English version starts the Sanji part of the sentence with "And" and ends with "too" which is also nowhere to be found in the Japanese version and excludes the Sanji part of the convo from the earlier sentence.

A similarly annoying thing also happened in Chapter 993 when Luffy and Sanji are arguing, mainly Luffy's reply to Sanji.

Japanese Raws:

Translation @PuckTheGreat:

Luffy: With those numbers, if it’s just you, it’d take a lot of time
Sanji: Shut up! I’ll finish it in 10 secs. Still got a problem with that!?
Luffy: If I help it’d only take 3
Jinbe: Fishman Karate

Translation from @JioFreed
Luffy: With so many enemies, it will take a long time on your own!!
Sanji: Shut up!! Are 10 seconds too much for you?
Luffy: If i helped you it would be 3!!

Unofficial English Translations:

...... Really?

Luffy shitting on Sanji?

It's kinda disappointing when the official translation keeps making mistakes like this.

Last edited:
So I want to discuss the official translations for the part of this chapter involving Queen's conversation. The official English Translation is... off to say the least. Let's compare it with other translations we have, shall we.

Japanese Raws:

Queen: It'd be best to crush their 2nd and 3rd best fighters as quickly as possible........

Translation:

Another translation:
Queen: We have to take down the second and third in command as soon as possible.

I honestly don't understand where they got "And that other guy" from. It makes it seem like Queen is continuing his sentence from Drake rather than starting a new one. The Japanese raws just say "That's" and the Official Spanish and Unofficial English follows true to that.
The Official English version starts the Sanji part of the sentence with "And" and ends with "too" which is also nowhere to be found in the Japanese version and excludes the Sanji part of the convo from the earlier sentence.

A similarly annoying thing also happened in Chapter 993 when Luffy and Sanji are arguing, mainly Luffy's reply to Sanji.

Japanese Raws:

...... Really?

Luffy shitting on Sanji?

It's kinda disappointing when the official translation keeps making mistakes like this.
Glasses-chan coming in clutch:steef::steef:

Considering Stephen has been doing translations for VIZ for 10+ years at this point, I'd rather stick with his translations over Pucks or other Unofficial translations, no offense. You have no personal Japanese experience to back your claims and you are simply using a Spanish translation and 2 unofficial translations to try and prove your biased point.

Stephen has already gone into depth as to why he translates things certain ways, depending on the context of what is happening in the chapter.

Edit: Luffy says it, not Sanji* deleting this second point cause I'm not getting into the controversy

Last edited:

Japanese Raws:

Translation:

Another translation from @JioFreed :

Japanese Raws:

Translation from @JioFreed

...... Really?

Luffy shitting on Sanji?

Eat them up sis

@HA001 @Fenaker

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
Considering Stephen has been doing translations for VIZ for 10+ years at this point, I'd rather stick with his translations over Pucks or other Unofficial translations, no offense. You have no personal Japanese experience to back your claims and you are simply using a Spanish translation and 2 unofficiap translations to try and prove your biased point.

Stephen has already gone into depth as to why he translates things certain ways, depending on the context of what is happening in the chapter.

And just for the record, my 2ish years of Japanese experience can tell you Sanji says "Ore ga", which is a rough male form of "I", and assumed to not be plural (though there is no way of telling unless you have context). And once again, context already pretty much proves that its not "we" because Sanji also tells Luffy to conserve his strength and stop fighting fodder.
I mean, is spanish not a valid language?

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Considering Stephen has been doing translations for VIZ for 10+ years at this point, I'd rather stick with his translations over Pucks or other Unofficial translations, no offense. You have no personal Japanese experience to back your claims and you are simply using a Spanish translation and 2 unofficiap translations to try and prove your biased point.

And just for the record, my 2ish years of Japanese experience can tell you Sanji says "Ore ga", which is a rough male form of "I", and assumed to not be plural (though there is no way of telling unless you have context). And once again, context already pretty much proves that its not "we" because Sanji also tells Luffy to conserve his strength and stop fighting fodder.
Lmfao they that desperate they turning on stephen paul
erkan tried that once he got negged

Sanji is not counted among the 2nd and 3rd strongest, period.
There was no L for Sanji fans to take this chapter until they created it themselves.
It's all thanks to the likes of @Chrono , @kurwa , @Jackteo and @Chaves ...
They are doing more harm than good to Sanji fandom.
Are you guys secretly working for the opposite side? :myman:
Even if wr look at the official translation. It doesnt hint Sanji as someone different. It just carries on with it and says a new point about him.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Honestly the "confusion" was from the power level junkies trying to one up the opposition and shit talk each other.

2nd is Zoro and 3rd is Sanji...that has been consistent for the entire series. Same goes for Luffy "mocking" Sanji. Luffy doesnt doubt Sanji's strength(or Zoro's). He never has.

Considering Stephen has been doing translations for VIZ for 10+ years at this point, I'd rather stick with his translations over Pucks or other Unofficial translations. You have no personal Japanese experience to back your claims and you are simply using a Spanish translation and 2 unofficiap translations to try and prove your biased point.

And just for the record, Sanji says "Ore ga", which is a rough male form of "I". He does not mention doing this together with Luffy. And once again, context already pretty much proves that its not "we" because Sanji also tells Luffy to conserve his strength and stop fighting fodder.
Stephen has always emphasized the importance the context. A translator can word it however they like as long as the original context comes through as intended.

Considering Stephen has been doing translations for VIZ for 10+ years at this point, I'd rather stick with his translations over Pucks or other Unofficial translations, no offense. You have no personal Japanese experience to back your claims and you are simply using a Spanish translation and 2 unofficial translations to try and prove your biased point.

And just for the record, my minimal college Japanese experience can tell you Sanji says "Ore ga", which is a rough male form of "I", and assumed to not be plural (though there is no way of telling unless you have context). And once again, context already pretty much proves that its not "we" because Sanji also tells Luffy to conserve his strength and stop fighting fodder. All of these translations agree on that point.
Luffy is the one saying "we" not Sanji.

The official translation has him talking about drake an zoro and 2s and 3s in one group CLEAR AS DAY
sanji is not included
Lmao....nope.

Zoro is separated from Drake with "and" same way Sanji is seprated with Zoro with "and".

Then he uses "too" as being Vinsmoke Judge is another bit of information.

Queen is looking at both Sanji and Zoro....and not Drake and Zoro.

Stop the cap.

And just for the record, my minimal college Japanese experience can tell you Sanji says "Ore ga", which is a rough male form of "I", and assumed to not be plural (though there is no way of telling unless you have context). And once again, context already pretty much proves that its not "we" because Sanji also tells Luffy to conserve his strength and stop fighting fodder. All of these translations agree on that point.
The Spanish translation is as official as Stephen's. We may discuss whether the translator hired by Shueisha for the Spanish translations is better or worse than the one for English, but in this case we aren't talking about a fan but a guy paid by the company who happened to translate this part similarly to most if not all unofficial translations. So unless Stephen is always perfect in everything he translates, then there's room for debate here.

I'm more concerned about the "crew" vs. "group" wording. Is Queen evaluating the army or just the Straw Hats? He's obviously speculating, but I don't see the utility of speculating on a sub-group of 10 individuals out of an army of thousands knocking on your door. Seems a little short-sighted.