Rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shisui

Never Feed The Badders Pasta
if you want to hear my opinion oda did that just for aesthetically purpose and because was cool)
But he change back to the classical touching when Luffy joined with Yamato combo attack with coating coc, g4snakman (Luffy is constantly using ryou too there so that my take)
I liked it when Luffy did it that one time against Kaido but I'll hate it if an entire battle is just two ppl fighting one another without physically touching each other:josad:

So now that we know Zoro was holding himself back too much with Enma and overall, I think it is sorta symbolic with Zoro's role and development this arc.

"Holding himself back"
"sacrificing himself for Luffy and the group with Hakai",
"throwing himself in harms way to protect Luffy and his dreams"

Zoro spends so much time worrying about his crew, and worrying about his captain, and supporting Luffy. But the fact is, he's not like Sanji or the rest of the crew.

He is like Luffy.......He is a Conqueror, he is a King, with his own ambitions to sit on top of this world.
His development this arc, is coming to full terms with that.

This panel is such a huge contrast from where he ended off last chapter.

We were hit with a red herring from Oda. The Shamisen sound was the red herring, we were made to believe that is why Enma drained Zoro's energy,

I think it's actually because he may have doubted himself for just a moment I think, when he said he feels if he does not find a way around King's durability (knowing his race/powers), he would not be able to defeat him.

That is why Enma reacts, testing Zoro to see if he can really meet standards.

When Zoro understands this, it's like a total 180 from where he left off in the last chapter.

So now that we know Zoro was holding himself back too much with Enma and overall, I think it is sorta symbolic with Zoro's role and development this arc.

"Holding himself back"
"sacrificing himself for Luffy and the group with Hakai",
"throwing himself in harms way to protect Luffy and his dreams"

Zoro spends so much time worrying about his crew, and worrying about his captain, and supporting Luffy. But the fact is, he's not like Sanji or the rest of the crew.

He is like Luffy.......He is a Conqueror, he is a King, with his own ambitions to sit on top of this world.
His development this arc, is coming to full terms with that.

This panel is such a huge contrast from where he ended off last chapter.

We were hit with a red herring from Oda. The Shamisen sound was the red herring, we were made to believe that is why Enma drained Zoro's energy,

I think it's actually because he may have doubted himself for just a moment I think, when he said he feels if he does not find a way around King's durability (knowing his race/powers), he would not be able to defeat him.

When Zoro understands this, it's like a total 180 from where he left off in the last chapter.
Zoro is very layered.

B

Ballel

When Zoro understands this, it's like a total 180 from where he left off in the last chapter
And here I believed it's actually Oden's presence reacting to the shamisen. When really Enma was forged with the intention to free Wano, long before Oden fought Kaido, and it is now testing Zoro to see if he's the one capable of fulfilling its purpose.

N
King will respect Zoro as Katakuri respected Luffy
No fck no , we need King to resent Zoro
Post automatically merged:

And here I believed it's actually Oden's presence reacting to the shamisen. When really Enma was forged with the intention to free Wano, long before Oden fought Kaido, and it is now testing Zoro to see if he's the one capable of fulfilling its purpose.
Enma a sword so serious in his duty of slaying people

In fact Oden failed Enma when he got distracted in the middle of fight

No mention of the shamisen in this chapter, that was 100% CoO.

It's crazy to think, but this is the earliest point we've seen of Zoro. His first flashback occurred towards the end of his duels with Kuina and when he already possessed Kozaburo's blunt swords. This panel is the first time Zoro has ever wielded a real sword, and he can feel their weight.

It's very reminiscent of when Luffy first obtained his Devil Fruit and couldn't even perform a Jet Pistol.

What's even better is that we're likely still not done with Zoro's background. There's still his more important ties to Ryuma and Ushimaru.
Its even more ironic considering that Zoro and Kuina ended up dueling with swords made by Kozaburo. I like how the grandpa took a liking to Marimo.

In the French translation, Kozaburo calls Enma his first masterpiece which makes a huge difference to his characterization so we have to wait for the official scans to clear that out.

That chapter was perfect and did story, action, and character flawlessly. I love that Onigashima flying was a set up for Zoro almost losing his swords so he can reminisce about his past. It connects his life in East Blue to the whole Wano arc and how to tame Enma by perfecting Conqueror's Haki. The panel of Zoro using Lion song was beautiful and the cliffhanger was chef's kiss. When Zoro remembers Kuina and Luffy in a fight you know this is a major turning point for his character. King clearly has COC which will make this battle a hard one.

However, I do feel something bad could happen because Zoro is also remembering how he met Luffy. This is what I like to refer as the breaking point flashback in One Piece when there is a major conflict between the crew. For instance, when Sanji fights Luffy we get flashbacks of how they became friends same with Usopp which were character driven stories... Wano is clearly a Zoro arc If it was like a Mr.1 fight he would have not showed our MC only Kozaburo and his dojo. Clearly, Oda cannot make Luffy vs another nakama cause it would get really repetitive and Zoro is the most loyal of the crew so it would not work. Marimo has only just tamed Enma with Conqueror which can make him only as strong as Oden. Now he has to turn it permanently black if he hopes to kill Kaido and come remotely close to surpass Mihawk.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
In the French translation, Kozaburo calls Enma his first masterpiece which makes a huge difference to his characterization so we have to wait for the official scans to clear that out.
He still refers to Enma as his magnum opus in the unofficial english scans, so it still holds the same meaning, imo. But I agree, waiting for the official is the best course.

That chapter was perfect and did story, action, and character flawlessly. I love that Onigashima flying was a set up for Zoro almost losing his swords so he can reminisce about his past. It connects his life in East Blue to the whole Wano arc and how to tame Enma by perfecting Conqueror's Haki. The panel of Zoro using Lion song was beautiful and the cliffhanger was chef's kiss. When Zoro remembers Kuina and Luffy in a fight you know this is a major turning point for his character. King clearly has COC which will make this battle a hard one.
This was a near flawless chapter. Everytime I reread it, it gets better. It has me thinking back to everything Zoro has done since the battle on Onigashima began. Zoro's always been more of a realist compared to Luffy, but he's rarely, if ever let his morale slip during the heat of battle. Perhaps the pressure of taking on two emperors, liberating Wano, fighting with a greater motive.

It probably flared his deep lack of self satisfaction over his strength that was instilled since losing Kuina on that tragic day. It's what has prevented him from fully unleashing his Conquerors Haki up until now. Enma was the test.

Zoro has no business worrying about if he can beat his opponent. He'll be the strongest swordsman and he will win. His disposition of a king. In short, follow your heart, not your head.

Its even more ironic considering that Zoro and Kuina ended up dueling with swords made by Kozaburo. I like how the grandpa took a liking to Marimo.

However, I do feel something bad could happen because Zoro is also remembering how he met Luffy. This is what I like to refer as the breaking point flashback in One Piece when there is a major conflict between the crew. For instance, when Sanji fights Luffy we get flashbacks of how they became friends same with Usopp which were character driven stories... Wano is clearly a Zoro arc If it was like a Mr.1 fight he would have not showed our MC only Kozaburo and his dojo. Clearly, Oda cannot make Luffy vs another nakama cause it would get really repetitive and Zoro is the most loyal of the crew so it would not work. Marimo has only just tamed Enma with Conqueror which can make him only as strong as Oden. Now he has to turn it permanently black if he hopes to kill Kaido and come remotely close to surpass Mihawk.
Oda's already set up major consequences for Zoro at the end of this battle. Not only is he receiving tons of punishment from King alone, but he must suffer all the pain and fatigue he had to endure prior to taking the Mink medicine. There's no doubt in my mind he is the 1% man Hawkins was referring to when he looked at his fortune. It may be the plot point which sparks the next arc, perhaps. In fact, I've an idea on how it may connect to Elbaf, but I'll need time to think it over.

I still don't view this as "Zoro's arc," however, he is an essential component of it. Almost all of the major plot themes are strongly related to him in some way, and Oda's exploring him further than he has in a long time, if ever. It guts me Tashigi is still not here. I've always wished to see her face a Zoro who fully shed his tough guy persona around her, and revealed his true self as someone truly devoted to his craft and the people around him. She's come to respect his strength, but still hasn't reached the person. I still like to believe Oda placed a Tashigi request to this chapter on purpose. Re-exploring Zoro and who he is, the significance of each of his swords, the people in his past, those in his present, and you start it off with Captain Glasses? Can't be a coincidence, or at least, I dislike leaving it at that.

And yeah, Luffy and Zoro were/are never going to fight. There isn't a soul in One Piece who respects Luffy more than Zoro, and he's completely devoted to helping him realize his dreams even more than his own. Luffy would have to become a completely different person before he and Zoro ever face off.

Last edited:
He still refers to Enma as his magnum opus in the unofficial english scans, so it still holds the same meaning, imo. But I agree, waiting for the official is the best course.
I like to think that he considers Wado Ichimonji as his other masterpiece of a time he became older and wiser. I agree that Koshiro's philosophy of a sword that protects is the right one. Mihawk the WSS stated that skills are more important to become the strongest not pure unrestrained force.

This was a near flawless chapter. Everytime I reread it, it gets better. It has me thinking back to everything Zoro has done since the battle on Onigashima began. Zoro's always been more of a realist compared to Luffy, but he's rarely, if ever let his morale slip during the heat of battle. Perhaps the pressure of taking on two emperors, liberating Wano, fighting with a greater motive.

It probably flared his deep lack of self satisfaction over his strength that was instilled since losing Kuina on that tragic day. It's what has prevented him from fully unleashing his Conquerors Haki up until now. Enma was the test.

Zoro has no business worrying about if he can beat his opponent. He'll be the strongest swordsman and he will win. His disposition of a king. In short, follow your heart, not your head.
Last time the crew was defeated and Luffy lost Ace, Zoro was really concerned for his captain's well being. His character is at his best when he struggles and I never had any doubts that King would be his first real test in the NW.

I call it a Zoro arc because Wano is deeply tied to his past which is the first time since chapter 05. The death of Yasuie Shimotsuki left a mark on our swordsman. The Revelation that Kuina's family was from and Enma and Wado Ichimonji were made by Kozaburo. Its obvious Ushimaru was his father and that Wanokuni was his real birthplace which Oda has yet to show. The stakes have never been higher and more personal for Zoro and this is the perfect place to make him suffer a loss to rise again. Its the ideal set up to explore his past completely.

Oda's already set up major consequences for Zoro at the end of this battle. Not only is he receiving tons of punishment from King alone, but he must suffer all the pain and fatigue he had to endure prior to taking the Mink medicine. There's no doubt in my mind he is the 1% man Hawkins was referring to when he looked at his fortune. It may be the plot point which sparks the next arc, perhaps. In fact, I've an idea on how it may connect to Elbaf, but I'll need time to think it over.

I still don't view this as "Zoro's arc," however, he is an essential component of it. Almost all of the major plot themes are strongly related to him in some way, and Oda's exploring him further than he has in a long time, if ever. It guts me Tashigi is still not here. I've always wished to see her face a Zoro who fully shed his tough guy persona around her, and revealed his true self as someone truly devoted to his craft and the people around him. She's come to respect his strength, but still hasn't reached the person. I still like to believe Oda placed a Tashigi request to this chapter on purpose. Re-exploring Zoro and who he is, the significance of each of his swords, the people in his past, those in his present, and you start it off with Captain Glasses? Can't be a coincidence, or at least, I dislike leaving it at that.

And yeah, Luffy and Zoro were/are never going to fight. There isn't a soul in One Piece who respects Luffy more than Zoro, and he's completely devoted to helping him realize his dreams even more than his own. Luffy would have to become a completely different person before he and Zoro ever face off.
Zoro being the 1 percent man (correction its Drake lol) is something I have not think of it but it makes perfect sense considering the sheer amount of beating he is taking and using Enma at full power is next level gamble. If there is an act 4 and eventual loss Zoro is gonna be out of action for a while. This could be the ideal set up for G-5 to come to Wano to rescue the Straw Hats as a callback to Punk Hazard. Tashigi saving and nursing Zoro Crash Landing On You style is perfect beyond words. She would be the ideal person to give him the motivation to stand up and fight again at his lowest (make a callback reversal to Kuina's promise). If Oda does this you turn a great arc into legendary tier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.