• ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 58 22.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • ⭐⭐

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Votes: 28 10.6%

• Total voters
One full chapter of flashback would be good but Oda wanted to make as short as possible but in a clear way

=> If you look at the flashbacks carefully, it pretty much sums up everything we wanted to know about Kaido, his ideology, why he is that person, how he knows Joyboy etc.

=> It could be done in more detail for 1 full chapter, Yes!!
But the outcome and result is still going to be the same.
That 4-5 page of flashback pretty shows everything about Kaido. It is just not in detail, but we know most we wanted in a summarised version.

=> Could he have longer and more detail flashback "personally" about him?? Yes, but will that change anything about our views upon him even if we get more about him?? I dont think so. The 4-5 page was short for a flashback but at the same time it defines very clear at least imo.

=> The other main flashback missing is only about Rocks, this should be not just about Kaido, it involves all Rocks members, Linlin, WB etc and also heavily connected to BB. So it won't be a surprise if Oda doesn't show us more flashback.
He could pretty much save for later arcs.

=> This is why people could have misjudge about Kaido's character, thinking his flashback is just generic type with not much depth and have poor characterization.
When in reality it doesn't need to be always that way.

=> People who truly hates doesn't get it, they compare him to Doffy as a villain, and Doffy backstory are tragic + revenge + traumatic. This type of villain backstory is what ppl like about it and call best written villain, I'm not complaining because it was a good characterization of a villain though

=> They expect Kaido to have something similar about the backstory, a reason to go villain mode, tragic past etc. And they decided to judge and wait for his backstory to have opinions on him . It really sounds like Doffy character make them think every villain need the backstory like him to judge how well written he is as a villain or character

=> Meanwhile Kaido is no Doffy, he was pretty bad guy since the beginning, rough dude, a soldier, war fighter at just 8 years old. A dude who was constantly in battle field since his childhood will always have a mentality and personality of brutalness, rough attitude, violence, battle hunger etc.

=> There's no such tragic backstory for Kaido, and he doesn't need it, there's nothing about revenge either. He do what he likes and follow his ideology, to him strength matters the most, as he is the physical embodiment of strength.

=> That's what about his character mainly, more details about his backstory won't change anything much about our views.

=> This why i think his character development would be after the current battle ends, his backstory isn't the one that make fans love his character, unlike Doffy, his shine comes at the aftermath of the battle.

=> That Bajrang punch was one hell of a punch, but is it really enough for someone like Kaido to get beaten by that??
For a guy like Kaido, he could sustain more damage and get up after short time.

=> The punch wasn't intended to "defeat" Kaido. This is what i thought about when Oda said Luffy won't beat Kaido just because the punch was too strong. This doesn't mean ZKK or some other shit which is not Luffy will end Kaido. Oda words indicate that Luffy will indeed defeat Kaido but the reason of the defeat won't be because it was a just strong punch

=> Which we see here, it isn't because the punch was too strong and Kaido got overpowered and got seemingly beaten. Kaido was fairly relaxed in majority of time during the clash and Luffy was the one who look struggling and try hard. The moment Kaido hears Luffy answer to what world would he make is the moment he got shook and let to getting punch.
Truly battle of wits and ideology

=> The punch won't end Kaido, it sounds more like a wakeup call. The most physical 1v1 fight between two mythical zoan brawler ends with a clash of simply wits and ideology. Thus, what Oda talk about Luffy beating him by knocking sense to him not because he punch too strong.

=> He'll come back again probably with not the intention to fight exhausted Luffy again. It is in that point of time till towards the end which i would be interested to see how Oda gonna do with Kaido and the rest of the arc.

There's many things to say with the current development but it will be too long lol.
Kaido already predict and admitted a person called Joyboy would be the one to be able to beat him long ago.

=> This also doesn't sounds like power lvl, and that Joyboy is simply more powerful than Kaido. No, Kaido have no knowledge or idea how powerful Joyboy is, what his powers are etc. But still, he said Joyboy is the person that can defeat him.
How did Kaido knows about Joyboy from?? through Yamato and King.

=> From Kaido's perspective the only thing he would know about Joyboy is his trait, personality, what type of character he would be not how strong or powerful he is
And that characteristics of Joyboy nature is the one that make Kaido predict that it is the only one to be able to beat him...... .. ..

Last edited:
One other thing: Onigashima was introduced as this huge threat to destroy the Flower Capital and Oda brought that up over and over again as it slowly approached the capital.

Are you telling me that the conclusion to all that buildup is Momo safely parking it cleanly next to the capital, when it never even once flew above it (for tension) and not even one Wano citizen saw that act?

This is either a great job by Oda (tricking everyone into thinking the battle is over, when in fact he comes up with a twist next chapter) or Oda has gone completely "whatever, I don't care about solid writing anymore"-mode.

:kayneshrug:
I don't really agree with this and I think it's being overly critical of a misunderstood event in the story.

Oda repeatedly pointed out that the capital is unaware of the events in Onigashima. This was done completely on purpose. He's made a point to make sure this whole thing would end with them completely oblivious to the event..

The sense of danger you are looking for has to do with people on Onigashima. The island was falling, there were bombs, and a fire in the castle. The "buildup" was about this, not actually killing capital citizens or getting them to notice certain events.

I'm not defending Oda's writing, but I think the critique is misplaced here.

Last edited:
Why do you guys think there won't be any more flashbacks? Didnt the flashbacks for Ace and Oden start after they died? So even if this is the end, flashbacks can easily come. You guys are also shocked that Luffy beat him with a Punch? Will you be shocked if Zoro defeated someone with swords? Or Sanji defeated someone with Kicks? Just because what you wanted didnt happen to say it sucked is childish.

Aye. So it seems like Luffy vs Kaido is finally over. How do I know that? Typical cliche of showing backstory to villains right before their defeat, classic "falling from high places" Disney-esque defeat, Momo and Luffy are down and Onigashima landed safely outside of Flower Capital. As for ZKK...... well, I don't really care about it, if it doesn't happens then it is what it is.

Looking carefully at the chapter again .
To me that final clash showing Luffy overpowering Kaido is not because it is more powerful than Kaido attack (I'm not saying this because I'm a Kaido fan lol)

=> It is just similar to Doffy vs Luffy final clash but the difference is the struggling part which alone makes huge difference
Doffy get instantly overpowered in manga

=> Bajrang Gun and Blazing hakke was an upper limt extreme diff clash where Kaido even has upper hand majority of the time period of clashing.

=> The moment Kaido ask Luffy what world would he make and Luffy answering him. This is instantly followed by Kaido with shock face and it is that moment he got overpowered.
Does that sound like power lvl?? That his punch is stronger than Kaido?? No, sound like only in literal.

=> Kaido is the embodiment of power and strength, everything about his ideology is also about strength, war, battle etc.
His DF itself, Azure Dragon is from Chinese mythology which also a representation of power, strength, vitaliy
He got everything that defines strength more precisely "military strength".

=> Everyone with brain can read that Oda build this man purely for strength. The man that make Luffy reach all possible stage of power up under one night.

=> There aren't any individual in history who would be more overpowered or stronger than Kaido interms of pure individual strength. And highly doubt they would be.
Unless there's another type of creature introduce later which js close to God tier like entity which i hope would not be there in future.

=> Moving to the point, that clash shows everything about Kaido and Luffy
Kaido having everything about power and strength that person could posses, he's strongest individual that could exists in the world,
But still isn't the right person to change the world.
Because of his ideology and nature doesn't suit for him and someone like him will never be allowed to dominate the world and cause mass destruction in this type of story.

=> The one piece story is more and more looking like a fate of work, destiny or lowkey version of chosen ones. And the more we move towards the end it shows more and more about it. Whether we hate or like it.

=> The right person is favourable to change the world,
That is also how our real world could be better if there's any right person to lead the world, but it won't happen because this is reality, there are no right person who could make better world.
It seems Oda tries to implement what the real world can't afford into his shounen battle manga.

=> After all peace and freedom is the main subject of the show and Luffy is that embodiment, there's no boundaries set to him, you can talk equally with with whether you are his subordinates or not, he doesn't care if you're from another race, marines, rev, pirate etc. That person is the right person to change the world.

=> The whole clash between Kaido and Luffy is that embodiment of two people of different ideology, where the right person should be the
selected to shape the world.
The moment Kaido hears Luffy answer is when he slipped and get's overpowered. It is basically a battle of ideology where the better ones win.

=> In my honest opinion that punch is definitely not gonna put down Kaido interms of what defines defeat. Kaido could sustain way more damage than what we could imagine and could still walk
But that punch is very important and could define end of the battle
It shows Kaido spirit got overwhelmed by Luffy dream and spirit.

=> He would get up but I don't see any fight happening. Kaido could still maybe able fight whatsoever while Luffy already pass out.
But that punch and answer of Luffy would make Kaido go another way,
He won't turn out to be allies, Oda would never do that, but something will happen surely
Which is what I'm looking forward to and interesting to me much more than flashbacks
Someone who gets it

Why do you guys think there won't be any more flashbacks? Didnt the flashbacks for Ace and Oden start after they died? So even if this is the end, flashbacks can easily come. You guys are also shocked that Luffy beat him with a Punch? Will you be shocked if Zoro defeated someone with swords? Or Sanji defeated someone with Kicks? Just because what you wanted didnt happen to say it sucked is childish.
I don't think there will be more flashback for him and I think that is perfectly fine. The Kaidou flashback was short, but it actually told us everything we need to know about Kaidou (outside of God Valley which is not Kaidou's story to reveal). We know where he came from, how he came to his worldview, what his motivations are, and even what he has been waiting for. Doing more flashback at this point would just give us more detail to a story we already know the beginning middle and end of. Which is why I don't expect it.