Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 968: Oden's return

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
after reading the chapter today on the official site I can feel the hype rising inside. This flashback offered so much and showed me something I was hoping and asking many years ago to see roger and his crew and their dynamics.

In the next chapters we will finally see how oden died and much more

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
One king is Shirahoshi and the other king is actually Vivi, not Luffy.
Both are related to Ancient Weapons, the Poseidon and Pluton. Shirahoshi can control the Poseidon while a member of the Nefertari family is probably key to controlling Pluton. Luffy serves another purpose.

He is a Joyboy. It isn't a name, it is a nickname. The boy who brings joy. The bridge that connects everything.
Shirahoshi and Vivi never had anything in common but they instantly connected because of Luffy and talked about him with joy.
That's what most of the world will remember him by, the joy he brings during the tales which speak of him.

Nice transitional chapter. Lamentable to know we won't be seeing the Roger Pirates again for quite a while, but then again they could show up by the end of the year for a Rocks flashback. At this point in the story, the events of the past and present are becoming intimately bound.

Roger says something emotional to both Shanks and Rayleigh, but I can't wrap my ears around what he possibly said. Did he just tell them both he plans to get captured and executed? Maybe he just told Shanks what was on Laugh Tale, since we still have zero idea if the Red-Haired pirates ever went there. The main reason to omit these messages was because it was plot-related information that will be revisited, I just can't guess what Shanks and Rayleigh needed to know in private.

The sea kings seem to have zero idea who their other king is. One of them almost ate Luffy in Chapter 1. In Fishman Island, they treated Luffy no different than Roger and Oden. Maybe the whales know who it is, but there's no evidence for that either. They're just eager for someone to fulfill Joyboy's promise. Either the other king is not Luffy and is setup for a powerful twist, or this other king posses no special abilities (we were told Joyboy had no power to rule the sea kings), and no innate connection to the sea kings or whales. The King is just the person who bonds with the Queen and helps guide her power.

Rayleigh is smiling but Scopper is crying. Reminds of the Strawhats crying about Merry, Rayleigh really is the Zoro of the crew. Very sad that Oden feels confident he'll see everyone again, he had no plans on dying. This is the first time we've seen a pirate crew willingly dissolve themselves, others that come to end suffered to outside forces. And this one pirate crew that disbanded just happened to be most important and successful one! How ironic. Eventually the Strawhats will have to reach the same conclusion.

I wonder if someone compiled all the different faces of Roger's crew. In my notes, I'm over twenty different guys and even in this chapter I'm still seeing new ones. Did anyone notice the little Charlotte Yuen face and horns in the bottom left corner here? I don't know if Roger adopted a third kid, or if that's actually a little man.

Where is the Oro Jackson and the egg right now? Has Gaban been protecting them all this time? Roger was too early, and symbolically the egg never hatched. It's definitely something the WG and Marines would be interested in repossessing, even if only to stick it in their Victory Museum or whatever. I think this is a treasure waiting to be found, I don't know if the Strawhats will find it before or after Laugh Tale. He might just be hanging out in Lodestar, no one besides the Roger Pirates has been hinted to have gone there.

Izo was basically set free when Oden told him he's a pirate now, and that pirates are free to choose their own path. It clicked in Izo's head at that point that he was no longer a retainer. He wasn't desperate to follow Oden onto Roger's ship like Inu and Neko. Oden telling him to take care of Whitebeard, as if he's assigning him a special task, was officially relieving Izo of his duties. It'll be interesting to hear this thoughts and emotions should the WB pirates end up in the war over Wano.

Orochi targeting Momo like baby Sukiyaki's birth marked the end for his clan's Shogun aspirations. He knows what the score is, and eventually I do think Momo will be the one to end him again. Kaido is already in Wano years before Oden's execution and I have to wonder what his forces looked like. Jack is still a baby at this point. Doflamingo is not ruling Dressrosa yet, Caesar certainly hasn't developed SMILE. Kaido is just bossing around a bunch of Waiters, easy enough for young Inuarashi and young Kawamatsu to repel.

The chapter ends with Oden just stopping short of killing Orochi. He really has taken Whitebeard and Roger's spirit. If you hurt one of Whitebeard's family, you earn the full wrath of angry pops. And Roger became a complete demon at times to defend the people he cares about, he will even jump ahead of Rayleigh and Gaban to fight their enemies. But because the chapter stopped short of Oden slicing Orochi, I don't think the twist is that fake Orochi will be dying here. We still have some years left, Orochi will probably surrender his authority and activate another scheme to criminalize Oden in the eyes of all of Wano. The only other option is continuous war fueled by Oden's actions that rages on for years, but this extends the flashback it also distracts us from the current war. At this point, I think the flashback has two chapters left at the most.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Lampyris, post: 205992, member: 331"

Roger says something emotional to both Shanks and Rayleigh, but I can't wrap my ears around what he possibly said. Did he just tell them both he plans to get captured and executed? Maybe he just told Shanks what was on Laugh Tale, since we still have zero idea if the Red-Haired pirates ever went there. The main reason to omit these messages was because it was plot-related information that will be revisited, I just can't guess what Shanks and Rayleigh needed to know in[/QUOTE]

With Rayleigh’s it’s presumably Roger saying “I won’t die, partner,” which we know is the last thing he said to Ray was.

Shanks is a big mystery though, and I think is definitely something that hints to him having a role in the main void century plot since his childhood

Status
Not open for further replies.