Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 986: My Name

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude c'mon. Stop with being bitch

Also, I don't see why it's hard to get that Nami is actually pretty dope. She has a tendency to get physically overwhelmed quickly, but it's weird how people simultaneously complain about that while also downplaying how uniquely individual these characters work in the series. She'll be rescued, but once she gets the distance and prep time she needs she's going to be great.

With Page 1 seemingly separated from Ulti and Sanji's whereabouts still unknown. I feel like Oda might really give us Round 2.
Yo, not to be cynical, but imagine this is his actual fight?

I'd laugh lmao.

However, I could see P1 prior with Sanji and Luffy is that he wasnt fighting seriously.

This is going to be an interesting next few chapters lol. Precisely because much of this forum is going to be annoyed when certain matchups don't happen.

It's crazy that many people fail to realize the issue with the Nami situation isnt Sanji not being there, its the fact that Nami's always portrayed as the damsel in distress. If Usopp and chopper got away from Big Mom.......Nami, Carrot and Shinobu should all be able to escape together, especially considering Nami and Shinobu escaped a bad situation together earlier in the arc. One Piece is nearing its end. If there are strawhats who are getting captured by things like homies at this point, that means they need to get fucking stronger. Shouldnt place the blame on others for Nami & Carrots incompetence when they've been competent before.
I don't think Nami's power is to blame here given that the ones who captured her was Big Mom herself through the homies. It was also impossible to escape since Zeus is with them. Also, when had Nami had ever acted or placed herself in a situation where she's a damsel in distress since joining the Strawhat? All I could remember is her taking advantage of her male crewmates to do thing for her.

F

Fallen Prince

Dude c'mon. Stop with being bitch

Also, I don't see why it's hard to get that Nami is actually pretty dope. She has a tendency to get physically overwhelmed quickly, but it's weird how people simultaneously complain about that while also downplaying how uniquely individual these characters work in the series. She'll be rescued, but once she gets the distance and prep time she needs she's going to be great.
Nami need piggyback from sanji in every arc. Prince always need to rescue the lady .

I don't think Nami's power is to blame here given that the ones who captured her was Big Mom herself through the homies. It was also impossible to escape since Zeus is with them. Also, when had Nami had ever acted or placed herself in a situation where she's a damsel in distress since joining the Strawhat? All I could remember is her taking advantage of her male crewmates to do thing for her.
Nami doesn't do much, just supposedly is their Navigator but I've yet to see it highlighted post time skip. Every other time Nami's opponent is nerfed or pis to allow her wins.

So since this chapter seems to mark the beginning of the conflict (not saying the true battles are starting, but the skirmishes and abilities coming out), I do hope Oda takes the time to really detail put the battles. Im not one to usually criticize the manga, but Ive been telling people who have been annoyed with the offscreening to wait for the battles to begin.

Now, we are at this point where, unlike Marineford, Oda should NOT hold back on power display and really dive into the battles. All 10 strawhats should get fights. The 2 additional potentials (Carrot/Yamato) should also have significant screentime. The 9 Scabbards, Yakuza, and other allies should have moments where they feel unique and significant. On the flipside, the villains need it the most. The Numbers, F6, Calamities, Mimiwarigumi, Onibawamshu and BMs crew all should get similar panel time on the account of being the opposing side.

I say this because I personally did not like Kanjuro's fall. If he's poised to be good in the end and his "death" was a red herring, then I dont mind because Im sure he'd have some redemption scenes in the future. If not though....i hope its not a sign of the coming battles.

Really the next portion should be 40-60 chapters of pure fighting. Its merited, its a huge war. Its what people deserve for a Shonen this caliber.. And its something Oda needs to do before we move on to whatever the endgame eventually is and becomes, even if it takes 5 years or 10 years or 15 years. Hopefully he truly spends the time here paying off the last 8 years of buildup

Oda loves offpaneling if its not related to luffy .
The issue is, we only know this is true for WCI and the beginning of Wano. He really didn't do this for DR (there were TONS of Doflamingo vs. Law and the Colosseum/SHF had significant focus) and prior arcs. Its there but everyone got the focus really.

We'll know more starting now pretty much. If the next 40-60 chapters doesn't focus on EVERYONE, then clearly its a bias Oda has towards Luffy. We all know he'll get that dedicsted 10-15 chapter fight at the end of the arc, but the idea is that he at least gives everyone big, significant moments prior and throughout all the battles.

So thats why I say we shouldn't assume until this is over.

F

Fallen Prince

The issue is, we only know this is true for WCI and the beginning of Wano. He really didn't do this for DR (there were TONS of Doflamingo vs. Law and the Colosseum/SHF had significant focus) and prior arcs. Its there but everyone got the focus really.

We'll know more starting now pretty much. If the next 40-60 chapters doesn't focus on EVERYONE, then clearly its a bias Oda has towards Luffy. We all know he'll get that dedicsted 10-15 chapter fight at the end of the arc, but the idea is that he at least gives everyone big, significant moments prior and throughout all the battles.

So thats why I say we shouldn't assume until this is over.
Too many character is the reason. He is leaving for animators too prolong it .

I dont think we will get detail fight of scabbard and kaido because oda will try to hide kaidos power from luffy.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢

I dont think we will get detail fight of scabbard and kaido because oda will try to hide kaidos power from luffy.
Probably true but I ain't gonna lie. Hybrid Kaido bursting through Scabbards and killing few of them would be mad hype.

It's not really about detailed fights, its about offscreening. If fights last a chapter, that's honestly cool. I personally dont mind as long as its visually great and accomplishes something. Like for example, I personally loved Dressrosa's battles. Why? Because the structure went like this:

- 15 or so chapters of skirmishes. Everyone got focus, the battles slowly moved to the climax.

- Weaker allies started falling (Suleiman, Ideo, Blue Gilly, etc), but it showed how strong the villains were.

- Battles slowly ramped up, we got flashbacks, Luffy and Laws battle with Doffy and Trebol began earlier on.

- Then we got 1 chapter battles for every lower Doflamingo villain, 2 for Diamante, 2 for Pica, and like 10 for Doflamingo.

I'm personally fine with this structure, and its what I realistically think we'll get for Wano, only on a much bigger scale (like Dressrosa x3 at this point). So pretty hope/expect:

- 20 or so chapters on skirmishes, moving the plot etc. Weaker allies/villains drop off heavily during this point.

- Getting Luffy and others to Kaido and their matchups officially, get the battles started early.

- Dedicate a chapter or 2 to each important character outside of the Calamities, Smoothie, BM/Kaido.

- Give Calamities/Smoothie 3-4 chapters.

- Give Kaido/BM 10-20 chapters together (assuming the structure is this rigid).

Its why I'm expecting 40-60 chapters from this point on. Theres a lot to cover but I hope Oda spends the time drawing it and not skipping it like Kiku vs. Kanjuro (which I assume was only done because Kanjuro is not a real villain, hes tragic and will be back as a good character)

F

Fallen Prince

It's not really about detailed fights, its about offscreening. If fights last a chapter, that's honestly cool. I personally dont mind as long as its visually great and accomplishes something. Like for example, I personally loved Dressrosa's battles. Why? Because the structure went like this:

- 15 or so chapters of skirmishes. Everyone got focus, the battles slowly moved to the climax.

- Weaker allies started falling (Suleiman, Ideo, Blue Gilly, etc), but it showed how strong the villains were.

- Battles slowly ramped up, we got flashbacks, Luffy and Laws battle with Doffy and Trebol began earlier on.

- Then we got 1 chapter battles for every lower Doflamingo villain, 2 for Diamante, 2 for Pica, and like 10 for Doflamingo.

I'm personally fine with this structure, and its what I realistically think we'll get for Wano, only on a much bigger scale (like Dressrosa x3 at this point). So pretty hope/expect:

- 20 or so chapters on skirmishes, moving the plot etc. Weaker allies/villains drop off heavily during this point.

- Getting Luffy and others to Kaido and their matchups officially, get the battles started early.

- Dedicate a chapter or 2 to each important character outside of the Calamities, Smoothie, BM/Kaido.

- Give Calamities/Smoothie 3-4 chapters.

- Give Kaido/BM 10-20 chapters together (assuming the structure is this rigid).

Its why I'm expecting 40-60 chapters from this point on. Theres a lot to cover but I hope Oda spends the time drawing it and not skipping it like Kiku vs. Kanjuro (which I assume was only done because Kanjuro is not a real villain, hes tragic and will be back as a good character)
Kanjuro ending was a disappointing.

There was no resolve on why he was doing all this for empathy when kurozumi clan got witchhunted . Oda was hurrying up the kaido vs scabbard fight .

Personally i dont read one piece for fights even oda has said at time he would prefer adventures and story over it .

Generally i troll around saying things like one piece has no fights but in reality pre ts had decent amount of fight. Every strawhat got their panel to shine up.

If oda at least focus on that instead kidd ,law then i think it will be good. Personally oda is way too focused with worst generation over the crew.

I def want nami or robin to learn haki .

F

Fallen Prince

Oda : One on one always bet on kaido

Kinemon :what if he all go 9 on 1 i bet he ll get rekt.

Denjiro :wow kinemon what a great plan .

Law : *sighs over kinemon idiotic plan *

Kanjuro ending was a disappointing.

There was no resolve on why he was doing all this for empathy when kurozumi clan got witchhunted . Oda was hurrying up the kaido vs scabbard fight .

Personally i dont read one piece for fights even oda has said at time he would prefer adventures and story over it .

Generally i troll around saying things like one piece has no fights but in reality pre ts had decent amount of fight. Every strawhat got their panel to shine up.

If oda at least focus on that instead kidd ,law then i think it will be good. Personally oda is way too focused with worst generation over the crew.

I def want nami or robin to learn haki .
I'm really the same way. Fights aren't everything, but in an arc that is central to a war, it needs to happen organically and frequently. Like the biggest thing to me:

- Oda didnt offscreen Apoo vs. Kid, Luffy, and Zoro. We got that. But it only lasted a chapter and change. Im totally cool with that. That was all the encounter I needed. Apoo can now fight someone else or be used in a different way.

- He offscreened Kiku vs. Kanjuro. My thought is because Kanjuro still has a role to play as a good person, so he didnt want to waste time on that fight. However, that's just my HOPE, and he could just be done entirely.

So it really comes down to those 2 categories. Will Oda offscreen or will he show it?

F

Fallen Prince

I'm really the same way. Fights aren't everything, but in an arc that is central to a war, it needs to happen organically and frequently. Like the biggest thing to me:

- Oda didnt offscreen Apoo vs. Kid, Luffy, and Zoro. We got that. But it only lasted a chapter and change. Im totally cool with that. That was all the encounter I needed. Apoo can now fight someone else or be used in a different way.

- He offscreened Kiku vs. Kanjuro. My thought is because Kanjuro still has a role to play as a good person, so he didnt want to waste time on that fight. However, that's just my HOPE, and he could just be done entirely.

So it really comes down to those 2 categories. Will Oda offscreen or will he show it?
That could be possible but kanjuro at this point is irredemable to be good guy. Even if orochi dies he will want revenge for kurozumi clan .

In a way i think death aas only option i could see , he was tormented soul waiting to nuke himself. Too dangerous and less trustworthy even if he becomes good laying hand on a kid was criminal act.

Status
Not open for further replies.