Break Week One Piece Chapter 987: Faithful Servant

Rate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a joke? The manga is aimed a 15 year old boys, that has been mentioned by Oda multiple times. Also read Bleach lol, the manga's final arc went to some really, REALLY weird places. It was very sexual at points (I recall the Zombie sternritter biting at the stomach of the another girl and she was licking her bare skin before trying to rip off her stomach), extremely gorey and had depictions of god-like beings that were very "evil" looking through the sternritter. That manga was in the same magazine.
I’m surprised Bleach didn’t transition to Seinen like Jojo did.

I must really agree with @Jo_Ndule at this point.
King is basically a background character who get less screentime then Jack and Queen, he didn´t even get his own small arc like the other two(zou arc for Jack and Udon arc for Queen) and right now he became to a another Smoothie.
Far away how I view the portrayal of a YC1, as compare Katakuri was portrayal as a god at the tea party, get enough screentime and action, but King totally fail in this one.

I really hope Oda change it and King get his own shine/feats. He need it because right now he is just a another character who gonna get defeat without any character building while Jack and Queen get enough character building.
If the raid fail I can see King doing also great feats and defeat some strong characters, also we see his own small arc similar to Jack and Queen. If not King will be a another Smoothie.
The sentiment is understandable and even excusable. But this is on par with WCI pre- portrait break Tea Party for me. Whereby Katakuri was running around like a headless chicken unable to stop the inevitable. And really, Oda originally never planned Katakuri the way he did, as some sort of mirror foil for Luffy to overcome, substituting for Big Mom the Arc Boss whom plot decided was not getting defeated by Luffy at that time.

More importantly, this is pretty much the Scabbard’s time to shine. Or, to put it another way, this is the culmination of the previous massive backstory of Wano. Look at how swiftly Oda dispenses with the whole Kurozumi and Traitor angle with the quick dispatch of both Orochi and Kanjuro. Then Oda has the Scabbards immediately drawing first blood on Kaidou and already, the Sulong forms of the Minks will come to play. It looks like Oda is intent on getting the entire ‘Wano Revenge’ part of the arc out of the way because things are now getting bigger than just the fate of Wano. The major stars of that are Oden, the Scabbards and the Kurozumis.

We barely see anything from the other Tobi Roppo, or the Numbers, all because Oda is rushing events towards chapter 1000. Barely anything about the relationship between Kaidou and Yamato other than the latter supposedly renouncing the former as easily as she embraces Oden. Having King in his own mini arc like Jack or Queen might delay things further so he decided to put that in later.

Initially Kaidou seemed shocked that the Scabbards managed to bleed him. But notice how his mood changes a moment later. He’s happy. So much so he even gives them a free ride up to the roof so his crew cannot and will not interfere and they can all out trying to kill each other. This isn’t Kaidou out of his depth (“Oh no, I’ve been stabbed it hurts that means I can die help me mommy!”) Nope, the guy is excited.

Also this confirms what I’ve been saying since WCI. Oda either retconned 795 or decided to split up the two attributes ( invulnerable to damage and regen/difficult to die) between Big Mom and Kaidou. The scary thing about Big Mom is she’s like an iron ball who takes no damage. The scary thing about Kaidou is that he even if you put him down, he keeps coming back.

Ok, guess people can no longer use the Luffy quote from WCI (“After Kaidou, You’re next Big Mom”) to suggest she’s going to Elbaf right? Luffy says he’s defeating her and everyone else. She’s going down this arc. But I still don’t quite buy the idea that Luffy will be the one to defeat her. If he really battles her the way he did Katakuri then we’re in for 10-20 chapters of Luffy the Hero bashing on a 60+ year old demented grandmother. Maybe Oda will do it, but I think the odds are low on that.

Or, he has Luffy one-shot her as he did Alvida. Which would have Big Mom fans rage-quitting enmass and also dehype her and the Yonkous in general. So that doesn’t seem likely either. Someone or something else will come into play that will contribute to her defeat here.

Did Marco and Perospero come to some kind of understanding and have temporarily allied with each other? Their encounter is another thing that Oda off-panels because he’s again rushing and cutting down on all the extraneous stuff.

Which for the moment includes King. The problem is that Oda wants all the focus to be on the Scabbards representing Oden’s Will vs Kaidou. King is too effective and would have prevented this. On the other hand, Oda is careful not to humiliate him the way he did Jack (bodyslammed by Neko) Queen (smashed around By Big Mom) and Kaidou (laid out on his back twice by Luffy). If all the damage to his portrayal is because of the embarrassment of losing his grip due to WB Commander Izo’s sneak shot, that’s pretty good overall.

That’s why I cannot really see a parallel between King and Smoothie. Smoothie was a mistake. Oda still doesn’t know what to do with her. I’m certain even now he’s trying to think up ways to bring her into the story. He probably thought it would be a good idea to have a female YC commander but completely failed to utilise her during her own arc. Instead Perospero, Oven and Daifuku were the ones who picked up her slack.

King is like Zoro in this regard. Oda has always had Zoro gone on the most flimsiest of reasons because if he was around, things would look much easier for Luffy and the SH’s who need to be shown as the underdog at all times.

I’m confident we’ll see King shine once Oda gets the whole ‘Scabbards vs Kaidou’ out of the way. When has Oda ever given a lousy portrayal to the second strongest? Every arc the second strongest has often gotten a good showing. Then you have Rayleigh and Beckman and no-one rational would ever say Oda did them dirty. King is acknowledged by Perospero, Compote ( the seniors of the BMP) Big Mom herself, and even Kaidou treats him a little different than Jack and Queen, more like an equal partner rather than a subordinate. King is going to be a real beast.

Patience is key here.

I’m surprised Bleach didn’t transition to Seinen like Jojo did.
Its fucking weird. The last arc of bleach is honestly really fucked up. Kubo actually managed to finish the arc and if there was an actual good motivation/story for Ywach, it would have been one of my top favorite arcs (in terms of concept, not nearly in narration). Just the sheer creepiness the Sternritter gives off made them some of my favorite villains. There (ironically), wasn't enough of them in terms of characterization.
Post automatically merged:

The sentiment is understandable and even excusable. But this is on par with WCI pre- portrait break Tea Party for me. Whereby Katakuri was running around like a headless chicken unable to stop the inevitable. And really, Oda originally never planned Katakuri the way he did, as some sort of mirror foil for Luffy to overcome, substituting for Big Mom the Arc Boss whom plot decided was not getting defeated by Luffy at that time.

More importantly, this is pretty much the Scabbard’s time to shine. Or, to put it another way, this is the culmination of the previous massive backstory of Wano. Look at how swiftly Oda dispenses with the whole Kurozumi and Traitor angle with the quick dispatch of both Orochi and Kanjuro. Then Oda has the Scabbards immediately drawing first blood on Kaidou and already, the Sulong forms of the Minks will come to play. It looks like Oda is intent on getting the entire ‘Wano Revenge’ part of the arc out of the way because things are now getting bigger than just the fate of Wano. The major stars of that are Oden, the Scabbards and the Kurozumis.

We barely see anything from the other Tobi Roppo, or the Numbers, all because Oda is rushing events towards chapter 1000. Barely anything about the relationship between Kaidou and Yamato other than the latter supposedly renouncing the former as easily as she embraces Oden. Having King in his own mini arc like Jack or Queen might delay things further so he decided to put that in later.

Initially Kaidou seemed shocked that the Scabbards managed to bleed him. But notice how his mood changes a moment later. He’s happy. So much so he even gives them a free ride up to the roof so his crew cannot and will not interfere and they can all out trying to kill each other. This isn’t Kaidou out of his depth (“Oh no, I’ve been stabbed it hurts that means I can die help me mommy!”) Nope, the guy is excited.

Also this confirms what I’ve been saying since WCI. Oda either retconned 795 or decided to split up the two attributes ( invulnerable to damage and regen/difficult to die) between Big Mom and Kaidou. The scary thing about Big Mom is she’s like an iron ball who takes no damage. The scary thing about Kaidou is that he even if you put him down, he keeps coming back.

Ok, guess people can no longer use the Luffy quote from WCI (“After Kaidou, You’re next Big Mom”) to suggest she’s going to Elbaf right? Luffy says he’s defeating her and everyone else. She’s going down this arc. But I still don’t quite buy the idea that Luffy will be the one to defeat her. If he really battles her the way he did Katakuri then we’re in for 10-20 chapters of Luffy the Hero bashing on a 60+ year old demented grandmother. Maybe Oda will do it, but I think the odds are low on that.

Or, he has Luffy one-shot her as he did Alvida. Which would have Big Mom fans rage-quitting enmass and also dehype her and the Yonkous in general. So that doesn’t seem likely either. Someone or something else will come into play that will contribute to her defeat here.

Did Marco and Perospero come to some kind of understanding and have temporarily allied with each other? Their encounter is another thing that Oda off-panels because he’s again rushing and cutting down on all the extraneous stuff.

Which for the moment includes King. The problem is that Oda wants all the focus to be on the Scabbards representing Oden’s Will vs Kaidou. King is too effective and would have prevented this. On the other hand, Oda is careful not to humiliate him the way he did Jack (bodyslammed by Neko) Queen (smashed around By Big Mom) and Kaidou (laid out on his back twice by Luffy). If all the damage to his portrayal is because of the embarrassment of losing his grip due to WB Commander Izo’s sneak shot, that’s pretty good overall.

That’s why I cannot really see a parallel between King and Smoothie. Smoothie was a mistake. Oda still doesn’t know what to do with her. I’m certain even now he’s trying to think up ways to bring her into the story. He probably thought it would be a good idea to have a female YC commander but completely failed to utilise her during her own arc. Instead Perospero, Oven and Daifuku were the ones who picked up her slack.

King is like Zoro in this regard. Oda has always had Zoro gone on the most flimsiest of reasons because if he was around, things would look much easier for Luffy and the SH’s who need to be shown as the underdog at all times.

I’m confident we’ll see King shine once Oda gets the whole ‘Scabbards vs Kaidou’ out of the way. When has Oda ever given a lousy portrayal to the second strongest? Every arc the second strongest has often gotten a good showing. Then you have Rayleigh and Beckman and no-one rational would ever say Oda did them dirty. King is acknowledged by Perospero, Compote ( the seniors of the BMP) Big Mom herself, and even Kaidou treats him a little different than Jack and Queen, more like an equal partner rather than a subordinate. King is going to be a real beast.

Patience is key here.

I think everyone will get their moment, even the remaining BMP. If not here, in Elbaf. Its possible they become allies somehow, so the first time you see Smoothie fight could be on Luffy's side.

It all entirely depends on how Oda decides to use his characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.