ONE PIECE CHAPTER 990: A LONE FORCE

rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice chapter overall. Sasaki tied up by his old friend, Pound given a rope by his girls, Fukurokujo turning his back on his new masters. The chapter tells us that you should pick your familiars wisely and that goes for the "Lone Soldier".

The epic stare down on the roof continues. It doesn't look like we missed much apart from Jack genociding his favorite furry frenemies. Kaido could at least act like he's Doc Louis outside the ring and give his boy Lil' Jac some tips. YOU GOT THIS! GIVE HIM THE ONE-TWO! DODGE TO YOUR LEFT! *stab* YOUR OTHER LEFT! With nothing better going on, Inu and Neko finally transform into big shadows and take Jack for themselves. The expectation now is that the next time we visit the roof only the Scabbards, Kaido and Jack may be left. While bringing the Yeti-looking Number to the snow battle was a clever idea, I got no faith in these guys. Jack is still saving his hybrid form while the Dukes tease us with silhouettes, from a narrative standpoint they're going nowhere.

Hawkins reminds us why he's the most loyal and valuable subordinate in Kaido's crew. Wait, what? Credit to King for reorganizing the Flying Six so they're not running around chasing Yamato and help stop the raiders in the showroom. This leads to a touching reunion between Page One with a brocon, and Who's Who changing sights towards X-Drake. Who's Who the tomcat sets up some delicious bait for a rat, giving X-Drake the chance to backstab one of the higher ups in the middle of the chaos. Tempting, but it doesn't matter since Hawkins snitched on him a while ago and before you know it swordsman Queen has Drake bloodied on the floor. Luckily for him a random explosion provides the perfect getaway. Back to the question on my mind: why is Hawkins so loyal and so good to Kaido? He found Luffy, Zoro and Law hiding in Wano, nearly had drunk Kaido wipe out the crew, put Law behind bars until X-Drake freed him, and finally exposed the 2-year dino spy. Does Hawkins want a promotion? Do the cards say he must be absolutely loyal? Maybe he's just teaching Law and Drake a lesson to finish the job next time, or least remove his heart and blackmail him like Caesar. At the very least, Hawkins won't back a character with only a 1% chance of survival without extraordinary circumstances.

Another Supernova joins the alliance. G4 Luffy and hybrid X-Drake (finally in action!) exchange named attacks and it's the start of a beautiful friendship. Well actually, Drake is acting far too suspicious to imagine he'll easily be let into the group. For one, he's not willing to state the reason he was nearly killed by his previous crew. Two, it's not as if admitting he was an undercover marine is the way to win over the pirate alliance. Three, he has a bad rap sheet from destroying Tama's village to hunting down Sanji and the bathhouse ladies. Since Law's not around to vouch for Drake, I could see Jinbe acting as the intermediary like when he smoothed things over between Luffy and Capone despite Luffy being upset that Pekoms was shot in the back. I like the implication that it was Koby who sold Drake on Luffy, but Drake was the one risked his position and freed Law before that conversation. I doubt Drake was a secret bestie of Law, or is a character to act on whims, so it'll be interesting to hear his reasoning and what plan he's been cooking up all this time. With the Big Mom and Kaido alliance experiencing unprecedented drama, it may be time for Drake to get on the line directly with Akainu.

Only 10 chapters away from 1000. I'm starting to sweat here. I'm not sure if we're ramping up to the end of Act 3 or turning the corner to the start of individual fights. We do have 2 Calamities, 5 Tobi-roppo entering the stage, Big Mom, Hotei and Fukurokujo lurking around. That's 9 big names + Big Mom. If Luffy wants to make it to the roof, there's 9 Strawhats to create openings. Nothing short of Perospero is occupying Big Mom for good. I have to feel bad for the Numbers here. It was similar for Oars Jr. in Marineford, casually losing a leg to Doflamingo, so thinking about it they went down to respectable attacks. Only unveiling an awakened Zoan power like the Impel Down beasts can save them now. They are WG experiments, incapable of speech, incapable of complex thought, part of a Zoan crew, so a small glimmer of hope exists. For now, we get a break to think about how far the Strawhats have come basically one-shotting the ultimate zombie Moria came up with back in Thriller Back. And that was Moria's main plan to take on Kaido's crew. Ouch.

I feel like Drake trusting, and setting/ "BETTING" on the "odds" / on Kaido, could be great message for the reader.
Despite the technically low chance of success, sometimes, you have to root for the underdog. Maybe thats something Hawkins will come to realize in his own little focused character arc
Post automatically merged:

A nice chapter overall. Sasaki tied up by his old friend, Pound given a rope by his girls, Fukurokujo turning his back on his new masters. The chapter tells us that you should pick your familiars wisely and that goes for the "Lone Soldier".

The epic stare down on the roof continues. It doesn't look like we missed much apart from Jack genociding his favorite furry frenemies. Kaido could at least act like he's Doc Louis outside the ring and give his boy Lil' Jac some tips. YOU GOT THIS! GIVE HIM THE ONE-TWO! DODGE TO YOUR LEFT! *stab* YOUR OTHER LEFT! With nothing better going on, Inu and Neko finally transform into big shadows and take Jack for themselves. The expectation now is that the next time we visit the roof only the Scabbards, Kaido and Jack may be left. While bringing the Yeti-looking Number to the snow battle was a clever idea, I got no faith in these guys. Jack is still saving his hybrid form while the Dukes tease us with silhouettes, from a narrative standpoint they're going nowhere.

Hawkins reminds us why he's the most loyal and valuable subordinate in Kaido's crew. Wait, what? Credit to King for reorganizing the Flying Six so they're not running around chasing Yamato and help stop the raiders in the showroom. This leads to a touching reunion between Page One with a brocon, and Who's Who changing sights towards X-Drake. Who's Who the tomcat sets up some delicious bait for a rat, giving X-Drake the chance to backstab one of the higher ups in the middle of the chaos. Tempting, but it doesn't matter since Hawkins snitched on him a while ago and before you know it swordsman Queen has Drake bloodied on the floor. Luckily for him a random explosion provides the perfect getaway. Back to the question on my mind: why is Hawkins so loyal and so good to Kaido? He found Luffy, Zoro and Law hiding in Wano, nearly had drunk Kaido wipe out the crew, put Law behind bars until X-Drake freed him, and finally exposed the 2-year dino spy. Does Hawkins want a promotion? Do the cards say he must be absolutely loyal? Maybe he's just teaching Law and Drake a lesson to finish the job next time, or least remove his heart and blackmail him like Caesar. At the very least, Hawkins won't back a character with only a 1% chance of survival without extraordinary circumstances.

Another Supernova joins the alliance. G4 Luffy and hybrid X-Drake (finally in action!) exchange named attacks and it's the start of a beautiful friendship. Well actually, Drake is acting far too suspicious to imagine he'll easily be let into the group. For one, he's not willing to state the reason he was nearly killed by his previous crew. Two, it's not as if admitting he was an undercover marine is the way to win over the pirate alliance. Three, he has a bad rap sheet from destroying Tama's village to hunting down Sanji and the bathhouse ladies. Since Law's not around to vouch for Drake, I could see Jinbe acting as the intermediary like when he smoothed things over between Luffy and Capone despite Luffy being upset that Pekoms was shot in the back. I like the implication that it was Koby who sold Drake on Luffy, but Drake was the one risked his position and freed Law before that conversation. I doubt Drake was a secret bestie of Law, or is a character to act on whims, so it'll be interesting to hear his reasoning and what plan he's been cooking up all this time. With the Big Mom and Kaido alliance experiencing unprecedented drama, it may be time for Drake to get on the line directly with Akainu.

Only 10 chapters away from 1000. I'm starting to sweat here. I'm not sure if we're ramping up to the end of Act 3 or turning the corner to the start of individual fights. We do have 2 Calamities, 5 Tobi-roppo entering the stage, Big Mom, Hotei and Fukurokujo lurking around. That's 9 big names + Big Mom. If Luffy wants to make it to the roof, there's 9 Strawhats to create openings. Nothing short of Perospero is occupying Big Mom for good. I have to feel bad for the Numbers here. It was similar for Oars Jr. in Marineford, casually losing a leg to Doflamingo, so thinking about it they went down to respectable attacks. Only unveiling an awakened Zoan power like the Impel Down beasts can save them now. They are WG experiments, incapable of speech, incapable of complex thought, part of a Zoan crew, so a small glimmer of hope exists. For now, we get a break to think about how far the Strawhats have come basically one-shotting the ultimate zombie Moria came up with back in Thriller Back. And that was Moria's main plan to take on Kaido's crew. Ouch.
Also, please let me note that i ABSOLUTELY LOVE thorough and happy reviews like this! Please keep it up man! It´s such a pleasure to read! If this is a weekly thing you do for every chapter, i´ll make sure to check this out every read. Thanks for giving me a great start into the day

King's insult towards Queen was brilliant! It's nice to see Hawkins again, I think he'll change sides soon when his luck with his cards runs out.
nice to see that you seemed to have enjoyed our translation

Last edited:
I think he released him because he was still grateful for defeating DD. Still, in that incident, they both lost their last loved ones - one a father, the other a guardian. I just don't see any other reason why he would release Law.
I doubt it was for defeating Doflamingo that X-Drake helped Law, it has been made clear that Diez was an asshole and an abusive father to Drake and he himself told his crew that he didn't feel any grudge towards Mingo for killing his father.

Funny questions, where the fuck is Kid? What the fuck Marco is doing? Did Big Mom get oneshoted by Robin?
:lusalty:
Considering the fact that he's amongst the strongest in the alliance he should fight against someone strong or at the very least do samthing. Marco didn't save Momo, I guess he doesn't give a shit about Oden's son, he also is not fighting against Clamatiais or Flying six. Wtf Oda?
:goyea:
i feel like i just have to say something about this.

Oda cant have 60 named important characters doing something in every single Chapter. He has to move the plot along dude.

Apoo, Kidd, Killer, Perospero, Marco will get their time, but you have to be patient man. Same with Drake and hawkins who we havent seen for 8 Chapters and Hawkins for god knows how long, but now Oda delivered and it was an amazing Chapter

What are you talking about? This chapter confirmed Hawkins lost to Law in a 1vs1, because Hawkins is guessing Drake helped Law escape. If Drake fought with Law against Hawkins, Hawkins would know for sure it was Drake lol.
He got his ass kicked so bad by Law, that even after over a week he is stil bandaged. :denzimote:
Yeah Hawkins prolly lost 1 v1 but the thing is we dont know the circumstances, Like Laws DF is tricky with quick KO type of moves and in this scenario Hawkins was under the impression law was seastoned cuffed. No excuses but it doubt they had an elongated fight where they both showed out their best techs. Kinda a oh shit moment that Law got the best off.

Now Im not saying Law doesnt beat Hawkins, just that this situation wasnt a standard 1v1.

* Oden can’t fly - fought Kaido
* Shanks can’t fly - somehow stopped Kaido from coming to MarineFord
Ah yeah, it's really hard to hit a giant hovering target that is bigger than Pica's Golem.
Doubt that King is just gonna sit in one place and let others attack him.
* Blackbeard can’t fly - defeated Marco
Yeah, he can only suck you in and steal your powers...
* Garp can’t fly - knocked Marco back
"Garp can't fly"
Coby who trained under him learned geppo on his own?
+
I don't see nothing wrong with jumping and landing a hit on a flying character.
But to expect a full fight against a flying opponent when other character can barely jump is retarted. You really expect to see a fight with nothing but jumping?
Even in your post you have Fujitora who’s fought Zoro twice ...
:seriously:
And that post shows Fujitora and Doflamingo floating above the ground while Zolo is watching impotently from the ground

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I'm going to piss a lot of Zoro fanboys off when I say this, but I'm too tired to care:
I think it would be cool to see King and Queen tag team Sanji and Zoro. Their relationship reminds me of Sanji and Zoro's with the back and forth banter, but I'd like to see what happens when they try to fight together. Would they actually be able to put their squabbling aside in order to stop the SH's? Or would they just piss each other off and feel like the other is just getting in their way?
Meanwhile, Zoro and Sanji could come up with some crazy combo attacks, with Sanji's gepo ability and Zoro's swordsman skills. It'd also be a cool callback to Little Garden.
Zoro and Sanji can never fight together because of a simple reason:
Zoro low diffs Sanji's opponents while Zoro's opponents low diff Sanji.
It is a complete mismatch and the main reason why they cant fight together and swap their opponents.
I know lots of Sanji fans are wishing for such a team fight but it is just another disappointment in making.

What does that have to do with their current standing ?
I just feel like the arguing and baiting is pointless. I mean it be funny but until Oda draws the 1v1 matchups for the end of the Arc all this shit is mute lol

Zoro and Sanji can never fight together because of a simple reason:
Zoro low diffs Sanji's opponents while Zoro's opponents low diff Sanji.
It is a complete mismatch and the main reason why they cant fight together and swap their opponents.
I know lots of Sanji fans are wishing for such a team fight but it is just another disappointment in making.

Again whats that got to do with people saying jinbe > sanji now ?
Im getting all sucked in but is Jimbei really beating RS Sanji or Enma Zoro? Cuzzz idk bout that lol

RS Sanji - invisible, ++ Durability, experience frying fish lol, speed advantage, DK if Sanji has the pop to KO Jimbei but I havent seen him kick his hardest since the TS lol

Zoro just needs to land flush and he can take Jimbei, certified tank

Never rated jimbei that high in the power scale maybe thats my issue

Last edited:

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I just feel like the arguing and baiting is pointless. I mean it be funny but until Oda draws the 1v1 matchups for the end of the Arc all this shit is mute lol

Im getting all sucked in but is Jimbei really beating RS Sanji or Enma Zoro? Cuzzz idk bout that lol

RS Sanji - invisible, ++ Durability, experience frying fish lol, speed advantage, DK if Sanji has the pop to KO Jimbei but I havent seen him kick his hardest since the TS lol

Zoro just needs to land flush and he can take Jimbei, certified tank

Never rated jimbei that high in the power scale maybe thats my issue
Im wasnt giving my opinion on it either way but he was moaning that people saying jinbe > sanji NOW are wrong because of later arcs.
Its the same as me saying zoro > mihawk because i know he beats him later on

Ah yeah, it's really hard to hit a giant hovering target that is bigger than Pica's Golem.
Doubt that King is just gonna sit in one place and let others attack him.

Yeah, he can only suck you in and steal your powers...

"Garp can't fly"
Coby who trained under him learned geppo on his own?
+
I don't see nothing wrong with jumping and landing a hit on a flying character.
But to expect a full fight against a flying opponent when other character can barely jump is retarted. You really expect to see a fight with nothing but jumping?

And that post shows Fujitora and Doflamingo floating above the ground while Zolo is watching impotently from the ground
Surprised you @ me most of the time I’m ignored.

You must be 100% trolling you actually believe flying is an argument for 2 characters not to fight each other ?

Provide a panel of Garp using Geppo **

I’m so confused @Garp the Fist ruined this whole argument when the Strawhats fought CP9 pre-TS.

All of CP9 can fly and they all lost, this is a really dumb argument.

We all saw what happened between sanji vs king. And still hoping he is gonna fight him or even defeat him ? King is the Katakuri, Ben Beckman, Marco Shiryu of the yonkou side. Only Luffy and Zoro have the chance to fight people like them. Oda doesn't care to give a special opponent for someone else than the those two. You should have understand that now, people ...

Last edited:
In my opinion the supernova go straight to Kaido and don't get involved in any other fights at all and the tobi roppo fight the straw hats with Chopper and Carrot vs Ulti and Page One, Black Maria vs Nami and maybe Usopp, Sasaki vs Franky and Brook, Who's Who vs Robin, Queen vs Jinbei and King vs Sanji
Kaido vs Kid and Luffy (1st Round)
Big mam vs Marco , Law , Perospero
King Vs Zoro
Queen vs Sanji
Jack vs Jinbe
X Drake vs Who is who
Killer vs Appo
Franky vs Sasaki
Robin vs Black Maria
Brook vs Pageone
Yamato vs Ulti
Chopper vs Strongest Number
Ussop vs Strongest Ninja of Orochi

Hawkin is a wild card in Wano for now .

After they defeat their individual opponent i think they will gang up on Kaido (2nd Round)

Finally only Kid and Luffy (Final Round)will be the one to deal final damage i can see it goes like this .

Strawhat Grandfleet might arrive there with
Greenbull and Kizaru along with marines engaging with Big mam and her pirates . Cp0 may also arrive there

Lots of speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.