Spoiler One Piece Chapter 990 Spoilers Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but its not "stalling". The answer is 60+ characters and Oda doesnt like advancing the story when he hasnt placed everyone where they need to be for whatever moment he plans for them.

For example: This chapter, he wanted Drake/Hawkins to be with Luffy it seems, but he wanted it to happen after he drew the Strawhats together because he likely will not have that moment again for a long time. So he waited nearly 10 chapters to have Drake partner up with Luffy because its when the structure made most sense to Oda.

Now multiply that by the Number of characters still MIA. He still has plans for Kid, Killer, Law, Ulti, P1, Black Maria, Sasaki, Apoo, Marco, Pero, Big Mom but keeps them out of chapters until they play their roles in a certain moment.

So its not stalling, its just the pure fact that Oda doesnt like spending dedicated chapters on specific characters until he feels comfortable everyone else in their right place.

This was DR's problem until the last 20 chapters of battles. It was a Mashup of perspectives and random clashes until everyone was where they needed to be.
I agree, but this is a problem of his writing imho.

Setups like that have to be smooth, without the fans rightfully asking questions like: "Wait, where has this character been for thirteen chapters? He has literally been there the entire time and did nothing?!"

That was a major problem of Marineford for example.

He was so focused on setting up certain scenes, that he completely forgot that some other things really looked unnatural.

I agree, but this is a problem of his writing imho.

Setups like that have to be smooth, without the fans rightfully asking questions like: "Wait, where has this character been for thirteen chapters? He has literally been there the entire time and did nothing?!"

That was a major problem of Marineford for example.

He was so focused on setting up certain scenes, that he completely forgot that some other things really looked unnatural.
Oh, sorry, this is in no way a defense of Oda's writing. Its 100% a problem, I just dont think its purposely stalling, but morethe fact that he wants to push the entire story for every character together. Its like instead of him advancing the story of certain characters for a chapter or 2, he'd rather switch perspectives 4-5 times in a chapter and give us small bits of updates per character.

Imo, I dont like this because weekly we have the same complaints about it being boring. On rereads? It reads nice when you binge, but weekly along with these breaks it can suck definitely.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Act 3 ends with significant moments happening within the next 10 chapters. Hes notorious for spending 20-30-40 chapters in just moving characters (i.e. Enies Lobby/ Punk Hazard/Dressrosa/WCI)

Status
Not open for further replies.