One Piece Episode 972 - The End of the Battle! Oden vs. Kaido!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • 4/5

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • 3/5

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • 2/5

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
That's far from looking like a torch, not even close.
It is not confirmed that Oden had advanced COC but I think it makes sense to say he had it maybe we will get the confirmation from his vivre card
King and Queen used their swords in the manga but here they didn't
Actually King didn't seem like he used a sword either till in the end where he just got one, wtf was that shit, a blue fire torch and normap fire torch, just have them use swords like in the manga.
That a not a sword queen got lol:kaidowhat:

B

BBsZehahaInTheNewWorld

This episode did way more justice to the fight than the chapter, one of the most disappointing ones of Wano.

It also made seem the "Oden would have definitely (!) won without Higurashi" interpretation less probable (it was anyway, defenders cannot explain why Oden did acknowledge his defeat and gave his swords away.......while being in his prison cell).

So far my feelings though the episode, I like some things and not like some things.
In case the things which I like at most:

Good things about the episode

• The whole dynamic mixup of the feelings in the episode where incredible good, you could feel the bloodlust war between Oden troup vs Beast Piirates.
  • Toki get more character building, not like in the manga during the war, you can feel her nervousness about the war with Oden, she fear that her man could be killed, Toei handle that really great
  • King and Queen showing to be a big parts of the war, which beating the scabbards in base form showing their power overall
  • Dragon Kaido vs Oden get few more screentime which I like it very much
  • Animation and soundtrack where on part, very godly soundtrack
  • More tension between Kaido vs Oden, you could see Kaido enyoing the fight with Oden
  • Oden using CoC to knockout the fodders, like that version a lot
Bad things about the episode
  • Like the manga the war was to rushed, end to fast and kill of the great moment of Oden, I hoped that the anime add far more scenes between Kaido vs Oden and also more scabbards vs Calamity+army scene, but they didn´t do it even though they had the chance to make a longer war.
  • Toei didn´t take the potential to make the war overall longer, the war could get more scenes, why they rushed to the oiling part? Why not handle the whole episode about a great war? I mean this was the key moment of Oden flashback, the begin of the downfall and the meaning about Enma. The episode should end with Oden getting defeated, more filler scene would fit into the war. I mean Toei give for other fodder character longer screentime but for one the most important part of the wano arc they rush the story.
  • Toei even cut off few panels, like one important panel where Raizo get his scar by King:
  • Also the scene about Oden´s strenght surpassed the enemy´s imagination wasn´t mentionend, in the manga the battle was probably long and fierce, however in the anime the battle really end fast, they didn´t give the imagination of Oden durability which was praised in the manga. In case Oden was her even almost down after getting throw into stones which is dumb asf, Oden look not great during that moment
  • Oden force himself to fight in close combat against Kaido, however he as swordmen should have large scale long range air slash attacks who could counter Kaido long range attacks, which never get shown in the anime/manga(to be honest this is overall Oda fault). Overall the choeraphy of the battle could be far better but again it is not Toei fault when the own mangaka rush the things.
  • More of Base Kaido vs Oden, I can understand that Oda keep the scabbards/Calamity or even Kaido pl away, because he don´t want to show their attacks/power before the raid at onigashima start. However Oden will never get a second chance to show more skills, overall getting a chance to show his power, that was his last battle and sadly it was rushed after the flashback starting to good.
Overall I not be angry with Toei, they still make a great episode and enjoy it enough, godly animation and overall great tension, but the fight himself could be far better and that his Oda fault for rushing the war and not care much about the battle....

Anime actually portrayed Kaido more coinsistent with his character considering the recent reveals about his character it fitd him looking how disappointed he was with how he won against Oden, while Oda just flip flopped him in his manga with his ptsd but then you have Zoro scarring him, makes it more similar to this episode, Kaido gets over it, fight ends due to old hag, Kaido gets disappointed, while in the manga Kaido enjoys the fight, probably serves as a continuation to him without the old hag interference.