Powers & Abilities Power Creep and Story Inconsistencies

The power inconsistency of Luffy being low-diffed by Katakuri will somehow beat a Yonkou who can low-diff any yc. Whatever he trained in a prison, the jump in power is still ridiculous.
So your problem is the 2 weeks training isn't enough?
You want another time skip where he trains with Rayleigh and Harp?
Oda is doing the best he can not everyone will be pleased but I like it.
Post automatically merged:

The power inconsistency of Luffy being low-diffed by Katakuri will somehow beat a Yonkou who can low-diff any yc. Whatever he trained in a prison, the jump in power is still ridiculous.
You're underestimating the training a lot.
The whole crew couldn't beat a pacifista. 2 years training and luffy one shot one.
If any there's any training in one piece, the crew grow exponentially because training arcs are very rare in one piece

I can foresee One Piece gradually becomes like Naruto and Dragon Ball, which other characters become cheerleaders for a few god-tier characters. I really like fighting in HxH and the early part of Naruto, where characters can use brain to compensate the lack of power.

In One Piece? now it is about the willpower and Luffy has infinity of them plus tons of plot convenient. Otherwise, he should be dead like Ace already. That's why we always know he does not need to be serious and can do whatever without any consequence. Sadly he is also a MC and the story is entirely about him. Other Strawhats that are greatly introduced decade ago also become irrelevant to the story.

Otherwise, he should be dead like Ace already
You want the manga to end?

which other characters become cheerleaders for a few god-tier characters.
In the crew only luffy, Zoro and Sanji are meant to be top tier fighters. The rest of the crew have specific roles and act as support in combat.

. Other Strawhats that are greatly introduced decade ago also become irrelevant to the story.
The strawhats don't have connection to the new world except Sanji that's why there was an arc for him. The Strawhats had their moments pre time skip.

They did come out of the timeskip way more capable than what we were shown. Oda just kept having them hold back for the sake of Fishman Island, and Punk Hazard's fights not ending in a few panels.

Hordy stood no chance against Luffy, which is why Oda took the fight to underwater, and made a Devil Fruit user fight a Fishman underwater inside of a bubble, and even then Hordy only managed to land one attack throughout the entire fight, where he bit Luffy on the shoulder. The almost died aspect came from Luffy overexerting himself to destroy the Noah.

With Caesar he made Luffy's objective to only capture him, and not flat out defeat him. A little flimsy of a reason to not have Luffy destroy him immediately, but it served it's purpose to push the rest of the plot of Punk Hazard forward and established everything that was to come latter on in the series with Dressrosa and Wano.

With Doflamingo, who is a solidified YC level character, the fight was exactly opposite than that of Fishman Island and Punk Hazard, where Oda needed it to end sooner, rather than later. There was no 10+ hours to waste to have Doflamingo be defeated, which is what it would have boiled down to in a straight one on one fight.

With WCI, Oda put Luffy against the two characters of Big Mom's crew that were completely circumstantial. One who had an endless army at his disposal, and one who could see the future, and is closest to Top Tier than anyone Luffy had fought before. These two fights served as the catalyst to push Luffy closer to the top tier spectrum of the World, which was needed.

At the end of the day, had Luffy not come out of the Timeskip as strong as he was, then simply gaining AdCoO and AdCoA would not allow him to be where he stands right now.
Luffy came out of the timeskip and had two years (!) of training under him.

When he faced his first opponent, that was anywhere near top tier level (Katakuri), he stood absolutely no chance in the beginning.
This wasn't even some Crocodile situation, where he just needed to know how to punch him right. He was just massively outclassed in all facettes (DF, CoA, CoO). Yet somehow he closed that massive gap in the matter of a few hours.

That's just a bigger improvement in a few hours than in those two years training under Rayleigh.

That's what's so disappointing in my eyes.

Same thing with him growing leaps and bounds in CoA just by training a few days in that prison mine. As if Rayleigh couldn't have taught him advanced CoA in a few days, too.

That kind of growth doesn't make much sense in my eyes. Of course Oda can write it and explain it by pointing at "plot progression", "growth while facing strong opponents" etc., but it just doesn't come across as believable at all, when you think back at his two year training under Rayleigh.

Last edited:
As if Rayleigh couldn't have thought him advanced CoA in a few days, too.
This would have been the worst outcome. Imagine how one piece would be if luffy came out of two years training with future sight and advanced armament.
So anyone can sit train for 2 years and be yonko level without even fighting top tiers?
And luffy will be one shotting every opponent till the end of the grand line. No tension. No threats

Did you forget he has 4 other characters backing him up with probably even more to come

do you really think light vs L is anything like Goku vs Vegeta

This would have been the worst outcome. Imagine how one piece would be if luffy came out of two years training with future sight and advanced armament.
So anyone can sit train for 2 years and be yonko level without even fighting top tiers?
And luffy will be one shotting every opponent till the end of the grand line. No tension. No threats
Of course it would be stupid, but him suddenly learning it in a matter of hours/days, while Rayleigh should have potentially (!) learned him that over those two years, is equally as stupid and simply not very logical.

Oda wrote himself in a corner there.

Because they are of a different genre. Death note is a psychological thriller, SNK and the promised Neverland are dark fantasy. But fairy tail and dragon ball are battle shonen.

Of course it would be stupid, but him suddenly learning it in a matter of hours/days, while Rayleigh should have potentially (!) learned him that over those two years, is equally as stupid and simply not very logical.

Since you're not as 'stupid' as Oda just show how you would have kept the power consistent.
What conditions should be present for advanced haki to be learnt.
And I hope you won't let luffy train for 2 years with kata for future sight. And train for another 2 years for internal haki.

You can see a problem if you really want to, with anything. But why? I mean obviously it feels good to convince yourself that you can out write a legendary writer, but why not get more out of your fan experience.

Like "oh Luffy just learned FS out of nowhere after seeing it." Hello, it's the exact point Rayleigh made with Haki based on Ener and the Boa sisters. It's just an extension of the same clairvoyance that allowed them to predict attacks specifically... reinforced by the likes of Sentomaru and even hinted at with Luffy vs Mihawk. Oda gives Luffy a power he'd experienced 600 chapters prior, that any old character could possess according to the Skypiea demographic, and you guys are just scratching your asses looking like Gomu no Buh Luffy lol

Last edited:
Because they are of a different genre. Death note is a psychological thriller, SNK and the promised Neverland are dark fantasy. But fairy tail and dragon ball are battle shonen.

Since you're not as 'stupid' as Oda just show how you would have kept the power consistent.
What conditions should be present for advanced haki to be learnt.
And I hope you won't let luffy train for 2 years with kata for future sight. And train for another 2 years for internal haki.
Juvenile argument, Oda established those conditions, don't blame the readers for seeing the inconsistency.

But to answer the question, I would give Luffy all of his current abilities immediately after the time skip. Let him develop creative ways to defeat his opponents in the new world, just like he did against Croc and Enel. Those are not through random powerups but smart thinking during battle. It's much more interesting than who can punch harder anyway.

Some people are beasts in the gym or in basic training, and it has no actual bearing on how they perform when it's go time. Some of the toughest guys in practice freeze in the spotlight, some beasts can't awaken until they've gotten comfortable going live. Hm weird right?

You can see a problem if you really want to, with anything. But why? I mean obviously it feels good to convince yourself that you can out write a legendary writer, but why not get more out of your fan experience.

Like "oh Luffy just learned FS out of nowhere after seeing it." Hello, it's the exact point Rayleigh made with Haki based on Ener and the Boa sisters. It's just an extension of the same clairvoyance that allowed them to predict attacks specifically... reinforced by the likes of Sentomaru and even hinted at with Luffy vs Mihawk. Oda gives Luffy a power he'd experienced 600 chapters prior, that any old character could possess according to the Skypiea demographic, and you guys are just scratching your asses looking like Gomu no Buh Luffy lol
I don't "want to see a problem."
I see a problem. It bothers me. Not everyone is willing and/or able to just turn off their brain. This genuinely affect my enjoyment/hype for the series.

The opposite of overemphasizing to reach a troubling conclusion isn't turning your brain off... Lol

Like I'm asking you to think. Way back when Mihawk blocked three full sized swords with a pocket knife, what did you expect to be the answer? Was Zoro ever going to not train and find a spirit based answer? An element to swordsmanship beyond himself? Did you think he would get super swole and that somehow THAT wouldn't be a DB type answer?

Oda spent the first half of the series writing off shonen conventions because the characters were specifically at a low level according to what he established time and again since Mihawk showed up. Now things are different.

Is that worse? Well, don't start overthinking now. I mean one of the most notorious pirates, a very pivotal villain in a very long and dramatic story, was secretly weak against a fucking pint of water.

Juvenile argument, Oda established those conditions, don't blame the readers for seeing the inconsistency.

But to answer the question, I would give Luffy all of his current abilities immediately after the time skip. Let him develop creative ways to defeat his opponents in the new world, just like he did against Croc and Enel. Those are not through random powerups but smart thinking during battle. It's much more interesting than who can punch harder anyway.
So anyone can train in a mountain for 2 years and have all the advanced forms of haki. That's how you would write it.
OK so why don't all the haki users in the new world have those advanced forms?