General & Others SANJI USED FULLBODY BLACK COA ON HIS NECK??

its COA BLACK

• Total voters

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
Named attack, Sanji blocked it with Haki.
I mean the one where Judge says the he's surprised a weakling like Sanji knew Haki.

Hawkins allowed for his strawman to get one-shotted to hype up Zoro.

Is that also a valid argument then?
I guess you're trying to get me to say "Zoro couldn't, that's why he didn't" in a roundabout way? Even though we have proof that Zoro can use Haki on stuff other than his swords. Could Hawkins have done anything to prevent his Straw Man from being destroyed? I dunno. We don't really have Haki feats for Hawkins, nor do we know if he can use Haki on a remote straw man like the one used against Zoro and Luffy. We don't really have reaction feats for Hawkins since he just eats hits.

Fair enough, but this one is more up to Oda's discretion. Might be too much effort for him to do so on black pants when he can get the same result from a statement (haki was used). I think this fandom puts more stock into hardening than Oda himself. It's mostly for the visual effect, which is why no one pre skip could be seen using it.

If it's a given, via statement or common sense Oda might not put enough effort to even sweat the difference, it's implied Vergo was using full body haki, we know his pants were still white doesn't really change much.
Pica's whole body was black but not the straps around him. Sometimes it goes under clothes.
So the Judge panel remains inconclusive.

Like i said, it's nothing serious, if the message goes through loud and clear. In the judge scene we know he used haki, and that was probably good enough for Oda. Hardening is mostly visual effect so we as readers know haki is being used, if the same result is garnered via statement it's not a big deal, atleast it doesn't seem so for Oda.
Not sure about hardening being mostly visual effect lol, pica was speaking about haki there as well, with vergo doflamingo was talkling about his haki, and the only confirmed haki users that were not shown to use hardening are like tashigi and boo (and maybe sanji), and there would virtually be no reason to draw hardening when luffy attacks CC for example, as only haki makes luffy able to do it in the first place

also, there wouldnt be any reason to correct something like this in the volume version:

Haki beneath clothes is a good point though, but in those instances hardening was visible elsewhere, so im not exactly sure about that either.

I mean the one where Judge says the he's surprised a weakling like Sanji knew Haki.
I know what you mean, i posted the Picture because you said, If Sanji used Haki it doesn't speak well to it's strengh - because he was shaking and went to his knee, while Judge didn't used a named attack. So i showed you that Sanji blocked a named and much stronger attack from Judge and was completely fine. Sanji also blocked the attack from the huge genie, which was surely a stronger attack than Judge's no Name spear swing.
If a character shakes by Impact, doesn't mean they are hurt or anything. Big Mom was also shaking when Luffy attacked her in G4 - doesn't mean it hurt and she struggled, it's just the Impact.

I guess you're trying to get me to say "Zoro couldn't, that's why he didn't" in a roundabout way?
What? XD

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
also, there wouldnt be any reason to correct something like this in the volume version:
Well I'm not saying it's only for visual effect but mostly anyway (pre skip the only way of knowing someone was using haki was via statement or implication, it doesn't mean no one on MF was using hardening). Or atleast it comes off that way, maybe it's just more aesthetically appealing, while I agree it's implied to be superior to the invisible stuff I don't think this is something that deserves a deep dive, Oda has really no real direction with haki, he's sort of just adding to it as we go.

I genuinely don't think it's a big enough deal for Oda. The fact that Sanji's hardened feats (even Jinbei's) are coming in such minor panels in fodder moments, is a testament to that.

Haki beneath clothes is a good point though, but in those instances hardening was visible elsewhere, so im not exactly sure about that either.
Again I'm not putting too much stock into this.

Vergo's pants were clearly black a few moments ago when he used haki on em, but then Oda decides to leave them white later despite him using FBH.

Maybe I'm doing too much coming up with reasons for why he does it, they're just guesses (he's lazy, the scene's done enough etc.). What I do I know is it's up to his discretion, and that he clearly doesn't care enough about being consistent with it (sometimes it's over clothes, sometimes under, sometimes the reveals are in major panels, other times in minor ones).

Last edited:
:milaugh:

you almost solved the puzzle yourself.
even the CoA reveal of relatively irrelevant characters (Sai) was highlighted.
yet Sanji is not getting the same treatment?
unlikely. very very unlikely. almost impossible.

its not koka. I am truely sorry.
This is exactly why, for me personally I can’t stand Sanji using Koka on small panels.

I’d prefer giving him a giant panel similarly to when Zoro cut Pica & Luffy using elephant gun on the kraken (both first time using Koka on panel)

ZenZu

This is exactly why, for me personally I can’t stand Sanji using Koka on small panels.

I’d prefer giving him a giant panel similarly to when Zoro cut Pica & Luffy using elephant gun on the kraken (both first time using Koka on panel)
And this right here is the issue. What me, you, or anyone else, likes or believes should happen, has nothing to do with what actually happened. This thread is filled with wishes and beliefs, but not an actual assessment of the scene itself.

And this right here is the issue. What me, you, or anyone else, likes or believes should happen, has nothing to do with what actually happened. This thread is filled with wishes and beliefs, but not an actual assessment of the scene itself.
I respect your opinion but again, it comes down it being ambiguous, if it was truly Haki it shouldn’t be left up for questioning.

We have panels of Zoro using it - no questions
We have panels of Bellamy using it - no questions
We have Jinbei using it - no questions

Samething can be said for the people wanting to see Sanji using koka each and every panel is examined and zoomed in hoping for something which isn’t reality.

ZenZu

I respect your opinion but again, it comes down it being ambiguous, if it was truly Haki it shouldn’t be left up for questioning.

We have panels of Zoro using it - no questions
We have panels of Bellamy using it - no questions
We have Jinbei using it - no questions

Samething can be said for the people wanting to see Sanji using koka each and every panel is examined and zoomed in hoping for something which isn’t reality.
Which is what's confusing to me here. What's questionable about it?

His neck running up to his face is clearly hardened, and given the context of how piercing arrows are bouncing off of him, it makes it even less questionable. There shouldn't even be a debate about what that shiny black stuff on his neck and cheeks is, it's just a matter of someone pointing it out.

The only issue is it wasn't on a bigger panel, even I missed it when I read the chapter. But after someone pointed it out, I went back and it's clearly hardening (not shade).

It being on a minor panel or easy to miss, does not make it any less true that in fact his neck is hardened. Plug in the context (sharp piercing weapons bouncing off him) and it makes it even more obvious what it is.

Not an entirely fair comparison. Zoro is only able to coat his swords in CoA but not his body, at least from what we've seen
:pepecry:
By this logic Sanji shouldn't have dodged the jellybean, just withstood it during the weeding. Anyway Zoro beat a full body Haki user right after Sanji got walled by one and even pre timeskip ate a similar attack from Kaku without Haki, so there's no comparison.