Speculations Shanks is not who we think he is.

Do you even understand the definition of accountability? And no, Fujitora:

1. Talked to Kings who revoked the Shichibukai status, not the Gorosei

2. And Fujitora talking to Gorosei would not be weird because he DOES serve them, even though he is a good man. Marines serve the WG.

Not everything is black and white. What IS weird is Shanks isn't forced to serve the Gorosei and talks to them. Weird defense though bro. Apparently the Gorosei talking about mass murder (i.e. a PURGE) means nothing to you. Cool
Yup, Shanks is not even serving them. He is there for a talk, it looks like this ''snitch'' thing that Shanks haters talking affected you.

Shanks is playing for politics, and Gorousei is controlling the entire World Government, you can even talk with your enemies, that shouldn't be weird for you.

Think this as negotiating with the government, the guy is not even a Shichibukai, but you are acting like he did something even worse than being a Shichibukai. You are overeacting it. Shanks is just talking with the highest position of the World Government, that doesn't mean he is now working for them, or serving to them. Especially funny when we know people like Sengoku, Fujitora are even serving to these people, you don't think they are bad, but now Shanks is doing something bad just because he wanted to ''talk'' with them? Lol, ok.

Yup, Shanks is not even serving them. He is there for a talk, it looks like this ''snitch'' thing that Shanks haters talking affected you.

Shanks is playing for politics, and Gorousei is controlling the entire World Government, you can even talk with your enemies, that shouldn't be weird for you.

Think this as negotiating with the government, the guy is not even a Shichibukai, but you are acting like he did something even worse than being a Shichibukai. You are overeacting it. Shanks is just talking with the highest position of the World Government, that doesn't mean he is now working for them, or serving to them. Especially funny when we know people like Sengoku, Fujitora are even serving to these people, you don't think they are bad, but now Shanks is doing something bad just because he wanted to ''talk'' with them? Lol, ok.
Weird how when the Author and the Editor presents it as a "odd" situation that Shanks is even there, you seem to have the answer and solved the mystery while no one else has.

"Shanks is playing for politics". No basis in fact. Think we are done here.

Weird how when the Author and the Editor presents it as a "odd" situation that Shanks is even there, you seem to have the answer and solved the mystery while no one else has.

"Shanks is playing for politics". No basis in fact. Think we are done here.
Lol, you are the one claiming that Shanks is doing something worse than what Blackbeard could do by just ''talking'' with Gorousei. That was a baseless accusation, now you are saying I've the all the answers? :milaugh: I am the one asking what's your basis on your accusations, and I didn't see anything yet.

Shanks negotiated with Sengoku before, and now Gorousei. No difference. It's not like he is working for the government now.

Lol, you are the one claiming that Shanks is doing something worse than what Blackbeard could do by just ''talking'' with Gorousei. That was a baseless accusation, now you are saying I've the all the answers? :milaugh: I am the one asking what's your basis on your accusations, and I didn't see anything yet.

Shanks negotiated with Sengoku before, and now Gorousei. No need to trying turn him into something else over this.

Yet again, literally never said this. I said the Gorosei were worse than Blackbeard because they openly discuss and commit mass murder.

And Shanks negotiated to stop a war with a marine, not discuss matters with a group of tyrannical government leaders. If he really wanted to stop Blackbeard by force, why not to talk to the Marines, the WGs main combat force?

You act like its the same fucking thing. Its not lmao

If he really wanted to stop Blackbeard by force, why not to talk to the Marines, the WGs main combat force?
Because the marines can't decide that, what kind of argument is this, are you serious? :suresure:

The marines can't decide on joining forces with a Yonko, that's 1.
2 is, there are other World Government forces who could help him other than marines, and the Gorousei controls that, such as SSG, and other Vegapunk weapons, Cipher Pol etc.

You really don't make any sense here.

And again, we don't know what Shanks is going to talk, so it's baseless anyway. Perhaps they will trade information, or trade different things, we don't know yet. So the point is to say that Gorousei is worse is baseless, and even if they are, Shanks can still talk and negotiate with them, because they hold the power of the government.

Because the marines can't decide that, what kind of argument is this, are you serious? :suresure:

The marines can't decide on joining forces with a Yonko, that's 1.
2 is, there are other World Government forces who could help him other than marines, and the Gorousei controls that, such as SSG, and other Vegapunk weapons, Cipher Pol etc.

You really don't make any sense here.

And again, we don't know what Shanks is going to talk, so it's baseless anyway. Perhaps they will trade information, or trade different things, we don't know yet. So the point is to say that Gorousei is worse is baseless, and even if they are, Shanks can still talk and negotiate with them, because they hold the power of the government.

The fuck? Thats literally your argument when Shanks negotiated with Sengoku. Sengoku stopped the war, not the Gorosei lmao

[QUOTE="Erkan12, post: 866654, member: 69"]

The fuck? Thats literally your argument when Shanks negotiated with Sengoku. Sengoku stopped the war, not the Gorosei lma
He didn't ask him to join forces, he wanted to stop the war against both sides of the war. That's entirely different thing than joining forces against other pirates.

Now you are acting like stopping a war is the same thing with joining forces against another Yonko...

That's mind blowing, and again; the Gorousei is highest authority except Imu and they don't just command the marines and they also command Vegapunk and Cipher Pol, and other forces. Of course talking with Gorousei is far better than just talking with the marines. And he couldn't negotiate with the marines when Akainu is the fleet admiral, lmao.

He didn't ask him to join forces, he wanted to stop the war against both sides of the war. That's entirely different thing than joining forces against other pirates.

Now you are acting like stopping a war is the same thing with joining forces against another Yonko...

That's mind blowing, and again; the Gorousei is highest authority except Imu and they don't just command the marines and they also command Vegapunk and Cipher Pol, and other forces.
Okay so here's where your problem lies. Nothing in my OP or anything of the sort insinuates he is looking for an alliance with the WG. I actually don't believe that at all. So this conversation is entirely pointless. I'm not even sure how we devolved to this baseless argument. You keep meandering and twisting and turning my words to make your own conclusion of things im not even saying dude.

Even if its about Blackbeard, we have no idea if its about "allying" against him. We have no idea about jack shit other than its weird he's talking to them.

And another thing, Shanks negotiating to end a war with a marine fleet admiral is WAY LESS weird or off base than Shanks allegedly "discussing an alliance" with 5 men who control the world against another Yonko.

Sorry but you aren't changing my opinion on this. No matter what Shanks is discussing with the Gorosei, its will always be weirder than anything he has accomplished with Sengoku.

I literally talk about all of this in my OP

There is a reason why now mihawk lost his Shichibukai title, and they are chasing him.

He will need a story relevance once again; that could happen via joining Red-Hair pirates. Which is also why mihawk doesn't want to fight with Shanks and apologizes from him, he sees Shanks as his superior.

There is a reason why Shiryu got the ''invisibility'' power, that can negate mihawk's ''hawkeye'' vision ability, Shiryu is the worst match-up for mihawk.

Blackbeard already foreshadowed that they will fight with Red-hair pirates in the future.

Luffy beating Shanks won't be a big thing for the story, that was Luffy's obvious dream fight, and Blackbeard is dream crusher. And Shanks also has big fandom, it won't be good for the story to these two crews fight. There is also a reason why Zoro begged to mihawk, because E.Oda is not planning to these two fight seriously in the future.

Blackbeard beating Shanks, and Shiryu beating mihawk are the perfect hypes for Blackbeard pirates. How can you hype the Blackbeard pirates before fighting with Luffy, Kaido and Big mom will fall to Luffy and his allies, Shanks will fall to Blackbeard.

I more or less agree.

Primarily I think that because Shanks has so much fandom hype and in world intrigue that it would be a major letdown if his role was just to be Luffy's role model.

The moment he met up with the Gorosei I had doubts that his character would only just lose to Blackbeard.

I don't know if hell be an antagonist but I definitely think he's either centrally connected to God's Valley, One Piece, and/or Imu.

The idea that “Shanks is a very heroic pirate by regular pirate standards just like how Luffy is a very heroic pirate by regular pirate standards” is definitely something that can be easily turned on its head at any time now that I think about it, similar to how some people got the impression that Blackbeard was a good person at first, but then became Luffy’s enemy. For such a big deal Shanks has been made out to be, it is weird that we pretty much see him keeping his opinions and views to himself most of the time, unless it involves stuff like peace and feelings.

Okay so here's where your problem lies. Nothing in my OP or anything of the sort insinuates he is looking for an alliance with the WG. I actually don't believe that at all. So this conversation is entirely pointless. I'm not even sure how we devolved to this baseless argument. You keep meandering and twisting and turning my words to make your own conclusion of things im not even saying dude.

Even if its about Blackbeard, we have no idea if its about "allying" against him. We have no idea about jack shit other than its weird he's talking to them.

And another thing, Shanks negotiating to end a war with a marine fleet admiral is WAY LESS weird or off base than Shanks allegedly "discussing an alliance" with 5 men who control the world against another Yonko.

Sorry but you aren't changing my opinion on this. No matter what Shanks is discussing with the Gorosei, its will always be weirder than anything he has accomplished with Sengoku.

I literally talk about all of this in my OP
Dude, you are the one bullshitting since you started to quote me, first you said ''accidently'' wrote that killing thing, then now you are saying this conversation is pointless because I just debunked your arguments. :milaugh:

It could be weird for you, it's not weird for me, or perhaps for other people. That's what I was saying. You would probably say the same thing if Shanks didn't fight Whitebeard for Blackbeard, why would a pirate is interfering in another pirate crew business, that's the kind of a guy Shanks is, he interferes so he can protect his friends. He is obviously not going to betray Luffy, he is there to take the spotlights from Luffy and point out the Blackbeard threat.

There is nothing weird about talking with Gorousei for Shanks, it's weird for Gorousei, not for Shanks, if anything people would think Gorousei is betraying the World Government, so they shouldn't see them talking, that's the reason why Shanks is hiding by using a cloak, other people shouldn't see what Gorousei is doing with a pirate. Why Shanks talking with the world government would be weird for Shanks, lmao. It's the world government that shouldn't negotiate with pirates, Shanks is a guy who prefers peace, he is not wild as other pirates, he is the ruler of the big portion of the new world and probably in other seas, he is not even as wild as Luffy. That's no surprise for me, but when you don't understand Shanks, it's natural that you may have wrong opinions and still have doubts about the guy after all he has done. Lol.
Post automatically merged:

Great thread :cheers:
Shanks being evil will give Luffy a motive to fight him I suppose. Same case with Usopp and his father
An evil guy wouldn't care about other people, and wouldn't negotiate with the government officials for the sake of his friends, so I guess Shanks already proved his worth, doubting about the guy over something like this is entirely baseless as well.
Post automatically merged:

The idea that “Shanks is a very heroic pirate by regular pirate standards just like how Luffy is a very heroic pirate by regular pirate standards” is definitely something that can be easily turned on its head at any time now that I think about it, similar to how some people got the impression that Blackbeard was a good person at first, but then became Luffy’s enemy. For such a big deal Shanks has been made out to be, it is weird that we pretty much see him keeping his opinions and views to himself most of the time, unless it involves stuff like peace and feelings.
Not the same, Blackbeard went after Luffy to capture him in the same arc without wasting any time. Not sure why he should've been a good guy for Luffy, just because he doesn't laugh at other people's dreams. He never saved Luffy's life, or never sacrificed something for Luffy, not even entirely close examples. Everyone knows Shanks cares about his friends, he even gave his arm for it, that's not going to change from now on.

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I more or less agree.

Primarily I think that because Shanks has so much fandom hype and in world intrigue that it would be a major letdown if his role was just to be Luffy's role model.

The moment he met up with the Gorosei I had doubts that his character would only just lose to Blackbeard.

I don't know if hell be an antagonist but I definitely think he's either centrally connected to God's Valley, One Piece, and/or Imu.
Honestly I'm afraid Shanks won't play that much of a major role in the aftermath of the final events.

He himself admitted that he sacrificed his very arm to make the new generation rise and this is a big indicator of the generational shift.

He may still contribute in helping Luffy out and the new gen in general but his contribution will be allegedly somehow limited.

Luffy is just one example, the others are fairly simple too. Look at Whitebeard, he only cared about family. It's that straightforward, a pirate wanting a family and becoming a Yonko.

Things like "running the Underground" are not something which fit his character so far at all. You have Doffy as an example, but Doffy has been pained like an opportunistic person from the beginning. If Oda ever pulled that, it'd be shitty writing.

Imagine the dude drinking sake on islands, caves and bars being this overlord or something. He ain't. He's easily approachable and gives opponents a fight when they ask for one. Clearly Oda put most of the pirate spirit into Blackbeard and Shanks.
imo this ignores most of the depiction of yakuza in japanese media. yakuza bosses are ALWAYS drinking sake and having fun in bars.

"Shanks is not who we think he is."

Wait! Shanks is not a snitch? :jinbewat:
The posts that I and @ArturCantSpeakJapanese made about this (half of the content is his in the OP, just found out cause I credited a reddit user who was him) were in response to the general idea that:

- Shanks is fully good
- Shanks is the Laugh Tale gatekeeper and designed to only assist Luffy
- Shanks will die tragically by Blackbeard

Much of the fanbase believes this. While I dont think hes a "snitch", I think hes got an ulterior motive as another big player in the world. The whole underworld connection really comes from ArturCantSpeakJapanese though. He put it in a much more concrete way with the Yakuza connection

I'm among the ones who think Shanks is on a mainly protagonistic point of view, role model to Luffy, saving WB, etc.

But about Yakuza theory and that Jirocho guy, wow. If Shanks actually made the underworld network thing and moving chess pieces like WG army and revo army to fight each other while he does his own mystery agenda, it's going to amaze me as well. The number 489, the pun "Dirty God", maybe we can call the title "Sinful God" to give it more dramatic effect? I'm wholly agree about Shanks having a strategic and tactical character, that he's playing various sides and groups to fulfill his own motivation, A really good read.
you could maybe go for that for dramatic translation. aka (垢) is like, dirt, filth, grime, like in the yokai akaname (垢嘗) the filth licker, who is a yokai with a red face because the red/dirty thing is like, ancient puns. but it has connotations of shamefulness in chinese rather than japanese