Speculations Shanks is not who we think he is.

Shanks betraying luffy gonna be one of the most obvious plot twists ever made lmao, ever since the time where he talked with the gorosei it should be enough.

Can you imagine big mom, kaido or blackbeard getting a private reunion with the 5 elders?
This is basically the whole point of this thread lol, i dont know how anyone, anywhere can read that scene in 907 and think it means anything but fucking weird for Shanks.

This is basically the whole point of this thread lol, i dont know how anyone, anywhere can read that scene in 907 and think it means anything but fucking weird for Shanks.
It would be nice to see a mentor who doesn´t lick the main character balls for a change tbh.

I´m tired of kakashi, urahara, gojo type of mentors, i want to see backstabbing traitor mentors.

It would be nice to see a mentor who doesn´t lick the main character balls for a change tbh.

I´m tired of kakashi, urahara, gojo type of mentors, i want to see backstabbing traitor mentors.
Yep, especially when Rayleigh already exists and is 100% the actual mentor figure. Shanks really doesnt have that role with Luffy anyway. Hes more of an endgame goal.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Shanks betraying luffy gonna be one of the most obvious plot twists ever made lmao, ever since the time where he talked with the gorosei it should be enough.

Can you imagine big mom, kaido or blackbeard getting a private reunion with the 5 elders?
Obvious my ass. Shanks has good guy written all over him, don't know how anyone can read this series for this long and expect Oda of all authors to make Shanks a heel.

If Shanks ends up being a villain of any kind, it'll be a massive shock.

Junatic

Lunatic Queen
Obvious my ass. Shanks has good guy written all over him, don't know how anyone can read this series for this long and expect Oda of all authors to make Shanks a heel.

If Shanks ends up being a villain of any kind, it'll be a massive shock.
Yeah. Shanks's Luffy's hero, he's the reason he became a pirate and wants to be PK in the first place. In a more cynical, darker story, Shanks bein evil would've been a likely twist but this is OP and Oda we're talkin abt. I don't believe for a second Shank's evil or even morally grey but there's a clear mystery abt his past.

Think he was on Xebec's ship during God Valley incident and Roger took him with him after Xebec's death. Shanks was only a year old at the time so it fits.

Obvious? Shanks is the most goody goody kind of person since his introduction. I can’t see oda making him any kind of villain without completely retconning his entire character.

I don’t get why people bring up the elders. Shanks is just like a good version of Doffy, part CD so the gorosei listen to him.

Obvious? Shanks is the most goody goody kind of person since his introduction. I can’t see oda making him any kind of villain without completely retconning his entire character.

I don’t get why people bring up the elders. Shanks is just like a good version of Doffy, part CD so the gorosei listen to him.
People bring up the Elders because Shanks having any influence or sway with people who quite literally exact genocides to hide secrets makes it a questionable interaction. He even politely thanks them for having the meeting.

What other reason would the author have that scene occur without context, if not to cause the reader concern about his character?

And to the people who keep saying it, Oda has never confirmed Shanks is good or bad. When asked in the context of Film Red if he was the villain or not, Oda simply said to watch the film. Ironically, he was the primary reason for the Antagonist in the film for existing.

This thread isnt even about Shanks being "LOL BAD". Its about him having motivations that do not exactly match Luffy's.

Post automatically merged:

Roger is his endgame goal… Shanks is just a stepping stone to get there
I mean, so is literally any other known antagonist that still exists, regardless of Shanks being one or not lol.

There isnt even a guarantee that reaching Laugh Tale automatically means any one person magically becomes PK. Who knows what happens by then, or even what happens to One Piece. All we know is that the PK is meant to do something with the treasure and the ancient weapons.

Hell, Oda might make it so that when they get there and find out everything, somebody else takes the One Piece (i.e. Shanks or Blackbeard)

Last edited:
Film Red kinda destroys this.
ive seen it and it doesnt really

Not really lol, in fact it almost does the opposite.

Film Red flat out implies hes part of a CD family and the film's companion book directly confirms he was found on God Valley, 2 big things which Ive mentioned in this thread.

His behavior with Uta and the Marines says nothing about his intent for Luffy and One Piece, which again, are stillcryptic as fuck in the story and made even worse by chapter 1054.
i still think its ambiguous as to what the Figarland family actually is. it could be a CD family or it could be a mafia family. or some other legendary bloodline even.

ive seen it and it doesnt really

i still think its ambiguous as to what the Figarland family actually is. it could be a CD family or it could be a mafia family. or some other legendary bloodline even.
True, there are options for sure, but it calls into question Shanks ability to even meet with Gorosei specifically. At least the CD option gives him credibility to do so, and to garner respect from Sengoku. Plus, being on God Valley when he was.

Its interesting for sure, whatever it is.

- Shanks also the same age as the God Valley incident. Oden's flashback also seems to hint that Roger has had Shanks since he was a baby (and maybe even Buggy, who is also the same age). On top of this, Oden's flashback left us with a weird moment where Oden catches Shanks asking Roger an "unknown question", to which Roger responds and Shanks crying. This is a BIG TELL that there is more to Shanks' character than what we know, a hidden emotional connection to Roger or that question.
@ArturCantSpeakJapanese
kingufy

Im not a firm believer of the "Final Antagonist" idea anymore (this thread is nearly 3 years old), but its fascinating how this paying off recently.

Still a ways to go to figure out if he's against Luffy or not though

Last edited:
Roger is his endgame goal… Shanks is just a stepping stone to get there
I disagree as far as "goals" go. Luffy started his journey by declaring that he will assemble the strongest crew and beat Shanks' crew.

Luffy wants to become the Pirate King because 1) he sees the Pirate King as the "freest person in the seas" and 2) to surpass Shanks.

Roger is just a man who was the previous Pirate King, so it is natural that comparisons will be made, but it is actually Shanks who is Luffy's endgame goal.

Now, you can say that Luffy will have to surpass Roger to achieve his dreams, but emotionally and psychologically, I simply don't see much connecting Roger to Luffy's dreams.