Controversial Should I convert to Judaism?

Rhea

Cattitude
I think overall, I just want to find a place in this world where I belong. And I feel like maybe I could get that with Judaism.
If it's important to see the other side and reevaluate our belief systems, then you dont do anything wrong.
Because as Garry Wills would put it, "An unexamined faith is not a faith. It is a superstition"

As long as you dont be forced by others and you’re open-minded and reasonable to different views, then you’re the good type of religious.

Religion isn’t a game. If you’re in a religion, that probably means you worship whoever is the leader of that religion.

If you want to find friends, then go outside or pick up a game (or a forum). You shouldn’t convert to things just for the sake of trying to socialize. Don’t fool around with the concept of it. People who are religious often wear their labels proudly.

You have to mean what you say and be willing to stand up for what you believe in. If the other ones (??) didn’t work out for you then maybe there’s another question you should be asking yourself.

Not everyone is religious either. Some people don’t give it a second thought and just go about their lives.

If you still want to do so, then whatever. I have no real interest in what you do with your life, but don’t make such decisions on a whim.

Oh, and don’t get involved with the wrong type of people. Although you should already know this.

Last edited:
That's literally the main reason organized religious structures exist.
Are you really religious, then? Socializing can be done in many other ways. If you’re converting for the purpose of finding friends then what about the other parts of the religion? Would you agree with them? Would you be willing to sacrifice certain things for that religion?

There’s a lot of things to ask and consider.

Are you really religious, then? Socializing can be done in many other ways. If you’re converting for the purpose of finding friends then what about the other parts of the religion? Would you agree with them? Would you be willing to sacrifice certain things for that religion?

Good points you got there.
Some organized religions are more about the community experience and worship instead of actual belief.

Well yeah, but I think if you try to socialize through a religious group, it is easier to form closer bonds with people. Because you are interacting with people who have the same value and belief systems as you do.

Also, not to mention the fact that most of my hobbies are things that don't really require me to socialize. Like art for example.

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
one of my good friends is Jewish and over the years he’s told me a lot about it. Honestly, it sounds really cool.
You shouldn't join any religion because it is cool or not cool
You should join the religion because it gives you that part of the soul you are missing

I personally don't follow any religion because at the end of the day every religion follows same rule - Do onto others what you want others do onto you. Pretty simple rule and yet it is IMO the best rule to live by.

What seems to me is that you don't need religion as much as you need better social life. Sure religion makes you inclusive in the community but it is something you want but don't need. It is a temp solution for a permanent problem

You shouldn't join any religion because it is cool or not cool
You should join the religion because it gives you that part of the soul you are missing

I personally don't follow any religion because at the end of the day every religion follows same rule - Do onto others what you want others do onto you. Pretty simple rule and yet it is IMO the best rule to live by.

What seems to me is that you don't need religion as much as you need better social life. Sure religion makes you inclusive in the community but it is something you want but don't need. It is a temp solution for a permanent problem
idk, I think a community is something all people need

I could become a Muslim, but my family is really islamophobic and so I don’t think it would be a good idea.
Truth comes with consequences but it remains truth nonetheless.. It brings discomfort through its boldness and honesty but it remains truth nonetheless.. You cant mold the truth expect in your delusions, but it molds you if you let it.

Look into it.. Religion is not something you pick and choose on a whim depending on how you feel and how cozy it might be .. Its a way of life you choose to based your existence upon in this world and the inevitable hereafter , from you moral compass of whats right and wrong to basic etiquettes and convoluted matters of life , it is something that makes the most sense to your nature through the Devine body heading it to even its existence (God's) regardless of your discomfort to what truths it brings and how that truth contradicts how you feel.

In this world its either :

1) you take a false god

2)you take the right god

Or

3) you take your desires as god

There isn't an option for "no god"

You generally base your life upon something that you believe dearly to be factual and adequate or objective source of morality.

Anything that claims and you empower to be the governing factor of your actions is your God.

The True God isn't a God of yeses, God is one and only the aelf sufficient, Believing in him grants inexplicable comfort even in depths of dispair.. Something your desires and wishy washy self contradictory ideal and flase god won't attain you.

Open your heart and read the Holy books of the Abrahamic religions

I tell you this, the word solitude is null in Islam.. even against all odds it thrives.. You seem like you're from india and you know what's happening there.. Yet islam thrives even there. Islam is the epitome of every objective good there is and embodies every objective truth there is.

If you wanna learn more about Islam I and some brothers here I'm sure would be keen on helping.

Choose wisely.
May Allah Guide you.

Truth comes with consequences but it remains truth nonetheless.. It brings discomfort through its boldness and honesty but it remains truth nonetheless.. You cant mold the truth expect in your delusions, but it molds you if you let it.

Look into it.. Religion is not something you pick and choose on a whim depending on how you feel and how cozy it might be .. Its a way of life you choose to based your existence upon in this world and the inevitable hereafter , from you moral compass of whats right and wrong to basic etiquettes and convoluted matters of life , it is something that makes the most sense to your nature through the Devine body heading it to even its existence (God's) regardless of your discomfort to what truths it brings and how that truth contradicts how you feel.

In this world its either :

1) you take a false god

2)you take the right god

Or

3) you take your desires as god

There isn't an option for "no god"

You generally base your life upon something that you believe dearly to be factual and adequate or objective source of morality.

Anything that claims and you empower to be the governing factor of your actions is your God.

The True God isn't a God of yeses, God is one and only the aelf sufficient, Believing in him grants inexplicable comfort even in depths of dispair.. Something your desires and wishy washy self contradictory ideal and flase god won't attain you.

Open your heart and read the Holy books of the Abrahamic religions

I tell you this, the word solitude is null in Islam.. even against all odds it thrives.. You seem like you're from india and you know what's happening there.. Yet islam thrives even there. Islam is the epitome of every objective good there is and embodies every objective truth there is.

If you wanna learn more about Islam I and some brothers here I'm sure would be keen on helping.

Choose wisely.
May Allah Guide you.
I mean that's not the only reason why I'd rather be jewish

but ultimately, I think there's no point in joining a religion if it doesn't benefit your life. And becoming a muslim would definitely cause a big fracture between me and parts of my family. And I just don't see the point in doing that.

Especially when, and I know this is very reductive, judaism and islam basically believe the same thing. Like I know that Muslims think their Prophet's revelations are like the ultimate truth or whatever. But I don't really see why it matters all that much when you believe in the same God and you have mostly the same code of ethics.

If you're choosing a Religion based on people in your life such as Family & Friends then you aren't taking Faith seriously
You're treating them just as Communities & in that case, you already belong to a community which is your Country or City or Neighborhood or Workplace ... etc

The reason we seek Religion is very simple, it's about your Death
When you plan to travel to another Country, won't you do some research?
Won't you learn their Currency? Their Laws? Their Culture? Their Geography? Who to stay away from there? What to look for there? ... etc
You obviously will do that

The same with Death, it's an Inevitable Journey, we all currently here never experienced it, but we will definitely one day
So as an Intellectual Moral Being with a drive to seek Knowledge & Progress, all of us should research this Death
This way, we will know what to expect, what to prepare for that day, what we should know while living our daily lives

So Faith is something that determines your path, this is why you should take it seriously
If you only care about being cool with Family & Friends then you're like someone without a Goal

Cuz always remember one thing
Anything anyone plans isn't guaranteed to happen, or the person is guaranteed to live until it happens
But Death is "Inevitable" & could come to any of us, any second

After you realize the importance of picking a Faith & that it's not wordily matters that are at stake
We can then discuss & help you choose the correct Faith based on a logical & moral criteria

Didn't read all the messages till now, but did you actually visit a sinagogue and spend time with a jewish community near you?

Just reading about religions and creeds online isn't the best way to incorporate yourself into a community, especially since you actually want to be a part of it, no?

If you really are interested in judaism, visit your local sinagogue or some other sort of gathering place for the jewish community in your neck of the woods. Talk to the people there, ask them any questions you might have about the religion but also about them personally and how they live their lives. And this goes for any religion you are considering btw.

Spend a few days actually being part of the community, before commiting yourself to the religion.

Didn't read all the messages till now, but did you actually visit a sinagogue and spend time with a jewish community near you?

Just reading about religions and creeds online isn't the best way to incorporate yourself into a community, especially since you actually want to be a part of it, no?

If you really are interested in judaism, visit your local sinagogue or some other sort of gathering place for the jewish community in your neck of the woods. Talk to the people there, ask them any questions you might have about the religion but also about them personally and how they live their lives. And this goes for any religion you are considering btw.

Spend a few days actually being part of the community, before commiting yourself to the religion.
I intend to go to a shabbat service this upcoming friday. I'll give an update on my feelings towards it.
Post automatically merged:

Update: the service was really fun. I enjoyed the music. I think I’m going to go routinely.

Last edited: