Is jinbe gonna witness greatness soon?

• Total voters

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
The Japanese just love Zoro man. If you look at the amount of merch that exists for him, you'd think he was the main character or at least the Sasuke of the series.
That's pretty crazy. I knew he was popular, but didn't realize he was THAT popular. Guess I should've gotten the memo when he still won 2nd place in the most recent popularity poll even though he wasn't even in WCI :milaugh:

Was kinda hoping it might hint at something more story-related, but hey.

That's pretty crazy. I knew he was popular, but didn't realize he was THAT popular. Guess I should've gotten the memo when he still won 2nd place in the most recent popularity poll even though he wasn't even in WCI :milaugh:

Was kinda hoping it might hint at something more story-related, but hey.
You can take this with a pinch of salt but imo Zoro is like the embodiment of Japanese ideal masculinity, hence why he's so popular. Add to that the katanas and his relationship with Luffy, the most popular character and you get an extremely loyal fanbase that will vote for him no matter what. Mihawk also rode the wave of Zoro popularity, rising a spot to #22 despite not having appeared in years.

Zoro's most defining traits are his work ethic and his loyalty, which reflect traditional Japanese beliefs. The Japanese value loyalty to the extreme, for example the memorial of the dog Hachiko near the world-famous Shibuya crossing and their immortalisation of the legendary warlord Totoyomi Hideyoshi. It is said that Hideyoshi was so loyal to his master, Oda Nobunaga that he would wake up early in the morning and warm his master's sandals, and Nobunaga rewarded him by elevating him to the position of warlord later in life.

So yeah, a bit of fun history trivia and potential reasons as to why the Japanese love Zoro and his two significant relationships, Mihawk and Luffy.

I visited the Tokyo One Piece Tower recently and there was a lot of Zoro.

The last picture was drawn by Oda to celebrate the 2nd anniversary of the One Piece Tower.

...There were no pictures of a certain perverted cook or any crew members other than Nami :sadgrin:
Man I wanna visit JP and get drown into the One Piece epiceness but traveling alone is not my beat.
Post automatically merged:

Very nice.

Also I happened to see somewhere that you got 2 Mihawk figurines, would you mind sharing some pics of them, please? Thank you in advance.

He was there, wearing his raid suit.
:madmonk::catblush:

I guess Oda really did get tired of drawing him, hence the RS.
:myman:
Imagine Oda confesses such is one the reasons of the RS :feelsokeman:

hey, do you guys think Zoro will finally unleash Ashura again in Wano?
I truly hope such to happen tbh.

Like 10 years since the last apparition ,no info related ,no explication whatsoever.

I would be hella pissed if we don't get an answer of it in Wano.

Bruh you are a savage. To even spot that.
:vistalaugh: I just spotted the fact that Zoro's figurines are some if if not the most expensive ones
Man Jimbei is also cheap.

:feelscryingman:

Last edited:

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
You can take this with a pinch of salt but imo Zoro is like the embodiment of Japanese ideal masculinity, hence why he's so popular. Add to that the katanas and his relationship with Luffy, the most popular character and you get an extremely loyal fanbase that will vote for him no matter what. Mihawk also rode the wave of Zoro popularity, rising a spot to #22 despite not having appeared in years.

Zoro's most defining traits are his work ethic and his loyalty, which reflect traditional Japanese beliefs. The Japanese value loyalty to the extreme, for example the memorial of the dog Hachiko near the world-famous Shibuya crossing and their immortalisation of the legendary warlord Totoyomi Hideyoshi. It is said that Hideyoshi was so loyal to his master, Oda Nobunaga that he would wake up early in the morning and warm his master's sandals, and Nobunaga rewarded him by elevating him to the position of warlord later in life.

So yeah, a bit of fun history trivia and potential reasons as to why the Japanese love Zoro and his two significant relationships, Mihawk and Luffy.
You learn something new every day. Thanks.

I happen to meet a lot of Japanese people on a daily basis, it is pretty normal in my line of work. Sometimes we start chit-chatting and sometimes we get to talk about manga. One Piece is extremely popular there, and Zoro seems to be everyone's favourite. I have heard more people say they like Zoro more than Luffy.

What is also very interesting is who they view as the strongest. Whitebeard, Shanks, Mihawk and Kaido seem to be the preferred choices. Mostly Shanks though, after WB's death. Sometimes I have also heard Luffy. But what was interesting was the fact that almost no one ever said one of the Admirals. I thought the Admirals would be more revered because they were based on legendary Japanese actors. Not just revered in the strength department, but also the popularity department.

That's awesome stuff... makes u wonder though how Sanji is always close in the polls ... hope we get another poll soon but first Mihawk needs to style on some mtfs ... i wanna see him place high again

Man I wanna visit JP and get drown into the One Piece epiceness but traveling alone is not my beat.
Idk man, I travelled solo and thought it was a lot of fun. I personally don’t have any rl friends who enjoy OP so it would be hard to get them into Tokyo One Piece Tower and it would’ve felt selfish dragging them along while I was exploring OP merch shops. But to each their own I guess lol, it’s just rare to find people in my country that like manga or anime.

I thought the Admirals would be more revered because they were based on legendary Japanese actors. Not just revered in the strength department, but also the popularity department.
When I was there I mostly spoke with younger guys but I’m assuming they just don’t know the actors on whom the admirals are based. But yeah, I didn’t really hear anyone say that the admirals were their favourite. Mostly Luffy and Zoro. Some of the girls liked Chopper for reasons that are inexplicable to me but I didn’t say that lol.

I did meet this girl who said she didn’t like Zoro or Sanji because ‘He [Zoro] seems dirty’. Not sure if she was referring to the sbs where Oda said Zoro showers only once a week but I didn’t ask her to elaborate :milaugh:

That's awesome stuff... makes u wonder though how Sanji is always close in the polls ... hope we get another poll soon but first Mihawk needs to style on some mtfs ... i wanna see him place high again
I think Sanj represents more of (what the Japanese perceive to be) Western masculinity. He’s a lot more individualistic and emotional than Zoro, which goes against traditional Japanese ideals for men, but keep in mind that western pop culture is very popular amongst young people. At least that’s what I gathered.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony

Thank you for the take. Never considered that to play such a huge part on Zoro's popularity. He's always been loyal to Luffy, but he still has that 'untamed' and free spirited quality about him. He's certainly a true mark of work ethic, though. Everything he's earned up until now has been due to all the effort he's put into the years.

Another thing I wanted to add, the Japanese are obsessed with Zoro. Walk into any figurine or merchandise shop and there will be Zoro merch everywhere. Here's some examples that I saw

I walked into one of the shops and the shop owner immediately tried to direct my attention to the Zoro merch. I hadn't even said anything, he just assumed I would be a Zoro fan lol. The number of Zoro figurines in Japan is insane. Other than Luffy and maybe Nami, no one else even comes close, he's just that popular.

@Den_Den_Mushi what do you think of Zoro being a headliner for Jump Fiesta with the MCs of the other big jump titles? :unsure:

The Japanese just love Zoro man. If you look at the amount of merch that exists for him, you'd think he was the main character or at least the Sasuke of the series.
How was merch for other popular characters, like Law, Ace, Sabo, etc? And dang, I always knew Zoro was popular there, but not this much.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
When I was there I mostly spoke with younger guys but I’m assuming they just don’t know the actors on whom the admirals are based. But yeah, I didn’t really hear anyone say that the admirals were their favourite. Mostly Luffy and Zoro. Some of the girls liked Chopper for reasons that are inexplicable to me but I didn’t say that lol.

I did meet this girl who said she didn’t like Zoro or Sanji because ‘He [Zoro] seems dirty’. Not sure if she was referring to the sbs where Oda said Zoro showers only once a week but I didn’t ask her to elaborate :milaugh:
It could be the reason. I find that the Yonko are much more revered in Japan, while the Admirals are more praised in the West.
Lol. It could be. Maybe it is because Zoro is usually covered in blood during his fights, etc.

But that definitely a weird one.
:believe:

How was merch for other popular characters, like Law, Ace, Sabo, etc? And dang, I always knew Zoro was popular there, but not this much.
Didn’t see that many Law figurines which was weird. I expected to see a lot more. Ace has a ton of merch but Sabo not so much, mostly Stampede stuff. The most popular characters for merch would probably be
1. Luffy
2. Zoro
3. Nami
4. Hancock/Ace

If you put aside fanservice figurines, no one even comes close to Luffy and Zoro in terms of the amount of merch, quality and price.

It could be the reason. I find that the Yonko are much more revered in Japan, while the Admirals are more praised in the West.
Lol. It could be. Maybe it is because Zoro is usually covered in blood during his fights, etc.

But that definitely a weird one.
:believe:
From what I know about the admiral/yonko popularity in Japan, it’s pretty much just WB and Shanks solo carrying the yonko fandom. Japanese people seem to love mentor figures, which is why Mihawk rates so highly in popularity polls. Haven’t met any fans of Big Mom or Kaido. I think the admirals suffer from a general lack of screentime, and also the fact that Ace is so beloved over there kind of hurts the Akainu fandom.

I even saw Shanks and Luffy in an advertisement on the trains in Tokyo, that’s how popular OP is over there lol.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
From what I know about the admiral/yonko popularity in Japan, it’s pretty much just WB and Shanks solo carrying the yonko fandom. Japanese people seem to love mentor figures, which is why Mihawk rates so highly in popularity polls. Haven’t met any fans of Big Mom or Kaido. I think the admirals suffer from a general lack of screentime, and also the fact that Ace is so beloved over there kind of hurts the Akainu fandom.

I even saw Shanks and Luffy in an advertisement on the trains in Tokyo, that’s how popular OP is over there lol.
Understandable. WB and Shanks seem to be the ones that are adored in Japan.
I've rarely met BM fans anywhere.
:sadgrin:

Oh definitely. Ace was the golden boy there. They cannot forgive Akainu.

Wow, that's amazing. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Just saw this from the latest volume SBS thread

from reddit

Page 78 : Older Usopp :

• Age 40: The pirate flag is calling out to me!!
  • Age 60: Yeah, I'm starting to miss her!!
Future where something happened :

• Age 40: Luffy's my disciple.
  • Age 60: Zoro? Yeah... he's my disciple.
So 60 year old Usopp is boasting about Luffy and Zoro... seems like those two made the biggest names for themselves... nicely done Oda :myman: