Is jinbe gonna witness greatness soon?

• Total voters
Guess the first crewmen is the only one that really matters huh
Roger even gave his captain hat to Rayleigh.

The thing that always makes me laugh the most is the statement that Luffy values the SH the same and they all equal in his heart.

Oda destroyed that notion hard:
1) Arlong park: Nami runs always betrays the crew, all Luffy does is give her his hat And is happy sheis back
2) EL: Robin runs always. Luffy is just happy to see her
3)W7:Usopp leaves. Luffy is happy when he returns
4)WCI: Sanji runs away. Luffy is happy when he sees him and returns
5)Wano: Luffy didn't see Zoro for a while. When he sees Zoro, he shouts Zoro's name, he runs to Zoro in excitement, jumps on top of him and hugs him. He gave Zoro the Sabo treatment.

When Luffy and Zoro reunite, Oda even writes a note saying the duo is back or something tothat effect.

However, people want to tell me that all SH are the same in Luffy's eyes and that he treats them the same. Get out of here with that nonsense.
Post automatically merged:

Nice

W

wordyworm

Well, to make up for the massacre they did to my boy up there at the warlord meeting, I'll share actually decent analysis. This is Part 1 about how Mihawk's visual symbolism tells us about his character:

Mihawk wa mou shindeiru but not really.
He's figuratively dead. In a literary sense. But not in a literal sense. Well, you'll see.

Start with Yoru. Mihawk’s most striking visual symbolism for me is that he’s a vampire is that of a crucified person.

Please note that I’m not saying Mihawk is Jesus. It’s just a method of execution. Nobody in OP is supposed to be Jesus except the guy literally named Jesus, and he’s not even a good person…

Anyway, Mihawk is, of course, surrounded by crosses in his daily life, but Yoru is especially significant. Unlike the kogatana, which could serve as a rosary allusion or just exist because Oda likes to give people necklaces, Yoru is entirely preposterous and unlike anything from real life and it’s unique in the OP world.

Oda could have just given him a generic cross-shaped sword. He didn’t have to give him a bigass 7+ foot walking and seating impediment with a crossbar and grip extending so far that he probably snags it on low-hanging power lines. No one else has such a weird and oversized sword! (Law excluded, but his is based on a real sword more than Mihawk's is). In one of the Color Walk spec drawings, Oda even mentioned that Mihawk shouldn’t be able to sit down in his boat while wearing it, but he can, because well, he’s Mihawk!

Besides looking damn fine with his aesthetic, what does Yoru’s crucifixion symbolism mean?

Is Mihawk a condemned man? Did he commit a crime? Is he marked for death?

Wellll, to be fair, any manga character with the prefix “World’s strongest” before their title is technically marked for death, but I don’t think Oda means to do that to my boy.
Mihawk’s crucifixion symbolism is related to what Zoro said at the Baratie to Luffy and Usopp.

To be a great swordfighter means to fight fearlessly and to never hesitate due to concerns about one’s own safety. Zoro says in Japanese that he gave up or threw away his life.
剣士として最強を目指すと決めた時から命なんてとうに捨ててる

This scene from the 3D2Y special is a great example of Mihawk’s fearlessness. Yeah, it's from a special, but it's very in-character. He knows instantly what to do and he reacts without thinking

Mihawk’s crucifixion is a symbol of the fact that to be the greatest, a swordfighter needs to think of their life as already forfeit. That doesn’t mean taking unnecessary risks, but attachment to one’s own life shouldn’t figure into the equation. Zoro takes this to hilarious extremes at Little Garden when he tries to cut off his feet.

Yoru’s giant size represents the weight of the burden that Mihawk must bear. It’s not all fun and games being WSS and Mihawk’s blasé attitude, represented by Yoru, contrasts well with Zoro’s puppy-like eagerness at the Baratie. He knows that despite Zoro’s enthusiasm, he doesn’t truly grasp the significance of the title or what life for the titleholder is really like. To be the greatest, you have to live like you’re already dead.

Well, to make up for the massacre they did to my boy up there at the warlord meeting, I'll share actually decent analysis. This is Part 1 about how Mihawk's visual symbolism tells us about his character:

He's figuratively dead. In a literary sense. But not in a literal sense. Well, you'll see.

Start with Yoru. Mihawk’s most striking visual symbolism for me is that he’s a vampire is that of a crucified person.

Please note that I’m not saying Mihawk is Jesus. It’s just a method of execution. Nobody in OP is supposed to be Jesus except the guy literally named Jesus, and he’s not even a good person…

Anyway, Mihawk is, of course, surrounded by crosses in his daily life, but Yoru is especially significant. Unlike the kogatana, which could serve as a rosary allusion or just exist because Oda likes to give people necklaces, Yoru is entirely preposterous and unlike anything from real life and it’s unique in the OP world.

Oda could have just given him a generic cross-shaped sword. He didn’t have to give him a bigass 7+ foot walking and seating impediment with a crossbar and grip extending so far that he probably snags it on low-hanging power lines. No one else has such a weird and oversized sword! (Law excluded, but his is based on a real sword more than Mihawk's is). In one of the Color Walk spec drawings, Oda even mentioned that Mihawk shouldn’t be able to sit down in his boat while wearing it, but he can, because well, he’s Mihawk!

Besides looking damn fine with his aesthetic, what does Yoru’s crucifixion symbolism mean?

Wellll, to be fair, any manga character with the prefix “World’s strongest” before their title is technically marked for death, but I don’t think Oda means to do that to my boy.
Mihawk’s crucifixion symbolism is related to what Zoro said at the Baratie to Luffy and Usopp.

To be a great swordfighter means to fight fearlessly and to never hesitate due to concerns about one’s own safety. Zoro says in Japanese that he gave up or threw away his life.

This scene from the 3D2Y special is a great example of Mihawk’s fearlessness. Yeah, it's from a special, but it's very in-character. He knows instantly what to do and he reacts without thinking

Mihawk’s crucifixion is a symbol of the fact that to be the greatest, a swordfighter needs to think of their life as already forfeit. That doesn’t mean taking unnecessary risks, but attachment to one’s own life shouldn’t figure into the equation. Zoro takes this to hilarious extremes at Little Garden when he tries to cut off his feet.

Yoru’s giant size represents the weight of the burden that Mihawk must bear. It’s not all fun and games being WSS and Mihawk’s blasé attitude, represented by Yoru, contrasts well with Zoro’s puppy-like eagerness at the Baratie. He knows that despite Zoro’s enthusiasm, he doesn’t truly grasp the significance of the title or what life for the titleholder is really like. To be the greatest, you have to live like you’re already dead.
Interesting, that’s very similar to a theory I’ve always had about Mihawk’s cross motif/death symbolism. Mihawk rides around symbolically in his own coffin and lives on an island that, by his admission, was covered in corpses. To me that represents the death of Mihawk’s idealism and his deadened emotional state despite having achieved his dream. According to Zoro, being the best means forfeiting one’s life, but Mihawk seems to have sacrificed his bonds with others as well and is left only with a hollow crown. The fact that Kuraigana is a much more verdant land after Zoro’s arrival shows how Mihawk is rediscovering his optimism and finally developing solid relationships with others. Which is why I don’t believe he’ll die, dying would just go against the lesson his character was supposed to learn, namely that there is far more to life than duels and swordsmanship.

W

wordyworm

Part Two: Coffin Boat

It’s a coffin! It’s a boat! It’s a goth transporter!

Mihawk’s weird boat is one of many peculiarities that make him kind-of-a-pirate-but-not-quite. He doesn’t have room for a crew; there are no cannons or weapons on the boat; there’s no armor. He doesn’t appear to have a galley or sleeping quarters. It doesn’t have a Jolly Roger (unless it’s on the sails?). It doesn’t even have a roof to block the sun and rain. It’s literally a coffin with a replica of his sword stuck in it. Nice job, Miho. Very creative. It’s very Mihawk.

It also appears to lack a method of propulsion, so it’s either the candles -or my fanfic headcanon- his lazy and underused CoC haki, that makes the boat go. One Piece being One Piece, it may just be that the boat goes wherever Mihawk wants it to because Oda said so, and that’s fine with me.

My theory is that he has a small cabin or at least some extra room to stash wine bottles in the wood paneled area. There’s a shot of it in the anime that shows it with some depth.

You can also see it in Oda’s spec drawings here!

No matter what the physical details of his boat or how it works, as visual symbolism, it’s uh… a coffin. Symbolizing, you know, death.

As I mentioned already, Mihawk’s vampy character tropes are a reference to the idea that a person with a title like his must live as if they’re already dead.

Mihawk’s coffin boat and its limitations symbolize that he’s alone, that no one can go with him. His duty can’t be shared with a crew, and no one can help him to fulfill it. His spot at the top of the swordfighting world is lonely and cold, not enviable. Not living– he even may feel dead to his family and friends, destined to only be “the current titleholder” and no longer the man “Dracule Mihawk.” Lacking sails, he’s propelled by determination to find the next titleholder, to relieve himself from worldly purgatory.

It also doesn’t appear to have a toilet, but my related headcanons are censored for your protection. It involves a bucket.

Interesting, that’s very similar to a theory I’ve always had about Mihawk’s cross motif/death symbolism. Mihawk rides around symbolically in his own coffin and lives on an island that, by his admission, was covered in corpses. To me that represents the death of Mihawk’s idealism and his deadened emotional state despite having achieved his dream. According to Zoro, being the best means forfeiting one’s life, but Mihawk seems to have sacrificed his bonds with others as well and is left only with a hollow crown. The fact that Kuraigana is a much more verdant land after Zoro’s arrival shows how Mihawk is rediscovering his optimism and finally developing solid relationships with others. Which is why I don’t believe he’ll die, dying would just go against the lesson his character was supposed to learn, namely that there is far more to life than duels and swordsmanship.
HOLY SHIT THAT'S WHAT PART TWO IS ABOUT!!!!
Hello new bff!

Part 3/3: Vampire
I wasn’t going to write this one at all. Because, you know, vampires, and because it’s kind of obvious. It’s in his name ffs.

Or at least it was until the ep 917, but whatever. He was also “Juraquille” or “Juracule” and several other variations.
He seems to avoid the sun, is pale, lives in a castle, drinks red wine, speaks strangely, and, of course has a thing for crosses.

Fact: We do not know Mihawk’s garlic preferences.

But I think he’s more of an example of the trope Actually Not A Vampire, which is not really surprising because Mihawk is already such a mash-up of tropes and archetypes. His vampire side is a design choice that reflects the same images as the Crucified Man who sails around in a Coffin Boat. He’s a vampire because he’s the unkillable dead.

As a person who commits fully to living life as if they might die at any moment, Mihawk certainly does seem bored. And that’s because it’s hard to be invincible! His similarities to a vampire aren’t just the coffin and the crosses and the weird accent. He is "dead," yet "invincible." (But he has a brain, thankfully, or else I think he’d qualify as a zombie? or a mummy?)

Mihawk is symbolically dead to show his dedication to living as the person who holds the title should. And Mihawk, being extra, took that one step further and made a whole personality around it.

When Mihawk met Zoro at the Baratie, he said:

久しく見ぬ "強き者"よ
Hisashiku Minu "Tsuyoki Mono” yo
Dear “strong one” not seen in a long time (Mihawk always using his quote marks…)

Mihawk was 41 when he said this. 41 years old and chasing Don Krieg out of boredom, apparently able to cross through the Calm Belt to do so. But he was feeling invincible and bored. Invincible + dead = vampire. And bored vampires are a very nice trope, indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mihawk aside from the World Strongest Swordsman holds even the title of World Best Navigator and pretty much already fulfilled Franky's dream using just a coffin. Nami should have spent her time skip with him too instead of with some old dudes on a cloud.

Anyway welcome @wordyworm I am a fellow Mihawk fan too yet your knowledge is far wider (I have seen some of your posts on tumblr, just to say: the singing Mihawk, didn't even knew something like that existed lol). I'm interested to see if you have an opinion about Mihawk eyes, do they actually have something special or are they there just to fit the nickname, and more in detail if there is, and if you have any theory what is, a relation between Mihawk and IM. As far as I know they are the only 2 OP characters to have that kind of eyes.

Mihawk aside from the World Strongest Swordsman holds even the title of World Best Navigator and pretty much already fulfilled Franky's dream using just a coffin. Nami should have spent her time skip with him too instead of with some old dudes on a cloud.

Anyway welcome @wordyworm I am a fellow Mihawk fan too yet your knowledge is far wider (I have seen some of your posts on tumblr, just to say: the singing Mihawk, didn't even knew something like that existed lol). I'm interested to see if you have an opinion about Mihawk eyes, do they actually have something special or are they there just to fit the nickname, and more in detail if there is, and if you have any theory what is, a relation between Mihawk and IM. As far as I know they are the only 2 OP characters to have that kind of eyes.
I'm a huge supporter of the Im/Mihawk relationship theory. It's one of my battles let's say.

W

wordyworm

I never thought about how he's already achieved Franky's dream, haha!
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm just a weeb with a lot of spare time! Thank you though, it's really nice to be here!

I'm of the opinion that his eyes are not related to Im's. I wrote a post about it here with a list of a lot of other characters who have had spiral eyes (though none but Caribou and Mihawk (and Im, as far as we've seen) have had them 24/7). Please excuse the outside link--I didn't join just to plug my tumblr, promise, but I'm away from my desktop right now.

Anyway, in that post, a friend mentioned that ringed eyes are used in manga for characters who don't seem to communicate well or are nonverbal, and I think that's a good point too. So, I don't think Mihawk and Im's eyes are related, but who knows? Oda will always surprise us, and Mihawk does seem to have a lot of ancient/archaic details that might connect him to Im or the VC.